Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DualSense Controller Issues Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've charged my Pulse and DualSense a couple of times with the USB-C charger and cable from my Galaxy S10 a few times and haven't noticed anything worse since. MobileFun have official Samsung S10 cables for €11.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I bought a Nintendo switch 2.7m usb cable from Smyths for 7 euro. Working an absolute treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MrZibi

These steps should be flagged/bookmarked up the top of this thread! I've managed to sort the sony call in just 10 minutes and now just need to call DPD to collect the box with DS. Thank YOU so much for sharing your experience and knowledge with others! 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

No worries, glad my horrible experience helped someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

The r2 is just a small spring that breaks inside the controller. If you have a gen 2 PS4 controller that’s in bad buck open it and take the springs out and use them in the ps5 controller. If not you can buy the springs cheap online. It’s an easy fix if you’re any way comfortable at all opening these sorts of thing up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Having an issue with my controller - buttons stopped being responsive in games but now dont work at all. Only have a console a few months.

Bought it from Gamestop online so probably best to go to Sony direct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Only thing else you could do is buy a 2nd controller then 2 wks later bring the broken 1 back with receipt for new one and say it only lasted 2 wks and they will exchange it for a new one in the shop. Only thing is you will have 2 controllers then which I always do try and have for consoles if things do break in the controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Email Gamestop.ie support, they usually get back quick enough, day or 2 at latest, to get their official response to it. They may very well tell you to deal with Sony but you might get lucky with GS first. Worst case scenario, you lose 2 days of progress getting a replacement from Sony by checking with GS first. I think the wait time with Sony is about 2 weeks last i checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Think I've started having this now as well. Just with the square and X button so far.

I push it all the way down and nothing happens, I release it and then it takes affect. Kind of weird to explain but I've seen a few more reports on Twitter of something similar happening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

FYI for anyone with a faulty controller that they may think is out of warranty apparently Sony’s warranty starts from the date the controller is connected to a ps5. (This might help people who bought a launch console last year but didn’t use it until Christmas)

i found this out as my second controller which had an r2 button fail last night which the guy confirmed as being out of warranty by 5 days by saying the controller first connected to psn on the 19th last year

And they were firmly saying they would not fix it as it was out by 5 days. (Even though they currently have my other Controller which I returned 2 weeks ago for the same issue)

So if you notice any intermittent issues before your warranty is up send it back because if the issue gets worse and it goes past the year mark they won’t touch it :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Go to the store you bought the controller and deal with them. You're customer rights are strong here and a controller should last more than 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭langer91

Is the warranty for 1 year or 2 years for the ps5 controller? My R2 button has just packed in and I am seeing conflicting reports online in regards the warranty - some sites saying 2 year warranty for Europe and 1 year for USA.

1 year with Sony but consumer regulations for Ireland say you have up to 6 years to seek redress for a faulty item and 2 years for the EU

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/consumer_laws/your_rights_as_consumer_in_ireland.html#:~:text=This%20means%20you%20are%20entitled,to%20repair%2C%20replacement%20or%20refunds.

I had a few calls with Sony who outright refused to take my controller back as it was 5 days out of the 1 year warranty

I also called into Smyths who said they would not take it as their warranty was only 28days. After doing some research i emailed Smyths stating the above and after a few emails back and forth they said i could send the item back.

Go to whatever store you purchased it from or email them and be persistent

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SymbolicActs

Can't believe Smyth's are still at that criac. I was astonished at the 28 day warranty "information" sheet that they handed me with the PS5 at launch. Was even told to test it if it's a Christmas present, because if it's faulty it'll be outside the warranty window (in the five weeks it took to reach Christmas).

I backed their customer service into admitting that information is incorrect, so when the L2 spring went pop in my controller a few months after launch, I waved it in their faces in store when they refused. Had a new controller less than five minutes later.

Consumer rights really needs to be a subject in school; everyone will be clued up, retailers won't be able to pull shady stuff like this, it'd be an "easy" few percent for students. Everyone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Well my R2 spring went in controller number one last week.

The same spring has gone in controller number 2 yesterday. Only had them about 6 months.

Bought mine in Currys, so I might call in over the next few days and see what they say.

Currys will probably suggest you go to Sony and Sony will take them.

But you are better off arguing and getting Currys to take them the reason being is you will get a new controller so you will have a 12 month Sony warranty, which will only activate from the day you connect the controller to your PS5. (so if you don't play 2 player games you can keep one in storage until the first one breaks again)

If you send it to Sony you get a refurbished one back with a 3 month warranty or a warranty that's extended to the length remaining on your original controller (so ~6 months in your case) activated from the date they send it to you. So it will probably be out of warranty by the time it breaks again

Can I just print out that document linked above and tell Currys its their problem because they sold them to me?

Im not sure probably just best to hand them your controller(s) and receipt and say you need to return them as they are faulty. If they start saying go to Sony you could have the consumer rights page printed out (or ready to go on your phone) and show them the the part where it says "Return the item to the seller (not the manufacturer)"

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/consumer_laws/your_rights_as_consumer_in_ireland.html

But it might be best to give them the chance to do the correct thing before pulling out the consumer regulations document

When i was talking to Smyths i just sent them that link and said i called consumer regulations and they told me that Smyths had to deal with it, after that Smyths accepted the return request

Went down with them on Saturday and they didnt even argue. Just went to the shelf and took a new ones off and gave me a new receipt. It was a pleasure to deal with them.

Unfortunately though one of the new ones is broken out of the box. Buttons sticking when you press them. So that will have to go back today.

Seem to be a lot of issues with these controllers. I dont fancy the chances of them lasting too long after the warranty expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't think there's a crazy amount of issues with them, just that when you go looking for other people with issues you'll find complaints, but there's no where to find people actively saying they've no issues. If it was a high percentage, some media outlets would be all over it, but I can't find anything regarding return rates.

• Advertisement

Im not confident at all with the PS5 controllers at this point.

Ive had 4 x ps5 controllers in 6 months now and 3 of them have broken.

I had 2 PS4 controllers, and 2 PS3 controllers for many years and never a problem with them, apart from the rubber wearing off them a bit.

I've burned through a stack of the damn things - spring snapped in my bundled (launch) controller, so I bought a new one (Smyth's were still closed during lockdown).

Replacement controller (which was fine) was traded into GameStop for the Cosmic Red one - sticks on the red felt like the controller was ten years old, with grinding and popping. Replacement Black one had the same. Gave up, figured there was a bad batch, few months down the line I bought another red one and this had worse sticks than the others.

So I've got my vanilla controller from March this year that is holding up, but I've already had more faulty Dualsense than PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 combined (which is to say, I only ever had one faulty Dualshock 4).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Gamestop might do the trade in again against the new controller colours coming out soon. If they do I am going to trade in my black one.

Nah I'm keeping my white one, the sticks are in good nick and I don't want to play the build quality lottery.

Shame though, it was a very good deal last time and I quite like the purple one.

Would you believe the 4th one is broken now too. The x button is getting stuck every few minutes for a second on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 beet_root

I've sent two back and got replacements, ended up turning off the feedback on the triggers to make them last (defeats the purpose of having a dualsense controller though)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭jj880

Anyone repairing these that can recommend a soldering kit? Im gona repair my own.

I cant be arsed arguing in shops that are an hour and 2 hours away where I bought my ps5 and extra dualsense and Im spending hours trying to get through to Sony on the phone. They wont answer emails either. I like the ps5 but this bollox with the controllers is going to put me off Sony consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The wait time on PS phone support has an automated message saying the wait time is “over 30 mins”. Waynkers.

35 minutes on hold. 10 minutes addressing issue.

Theyre quoting 30+ days for repairs.

Sony can suck balls.

Post edited by faceman on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭jj880

They can go fvck themselves. 70 euro controllers that dont even last a year. They should have a system in place for this dualsense sh!tshow so no-one has to go without their controller. I managed to get 1 of mine returned to Currys but they are telling me I'll be without it for at least 2 weeks. Bullsh!t.

Ive a ps4 controller thats never given any bother for 6 years. That will do me until I get my soldering iron and sucker.

Advertisement