Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating Apps/sites

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

YellowLead wrote: »
    I think the ‘I’m too ugly to get dates’ line is a total cop out. Be confident and have a sense of humour and have interesting things you do with your life and you are winning.
    Look around you the next time you are in a park. Is every guy with a girl on his arm a male model? Hardly.
    A lot of men just don’t know how to make a good profile. Tip - if you can, get your hands on the phone of a female friend and watch while she swipes and get her to give feedback on why she swipes left and right.

Make a profile as a man with an ugly pic. See how you get on. Sorry but women have no idea what it's like for men. You are deluded.

Be confident? Have you tried being confident bro?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I think the ‘I’m too ugly to get dates’ line is a total cop out. Be confident and have a sense of humour and have interesting things you do with your life and you are winning.
    Look around you the next time you are in a park. Is every guy with a girl on his arm a male model? Hardly.
    A lot of men just don’t know how to make a good profile. Tip - if you can, get your hands on the phone of a female friend and watch while she swipes and get her to give feedback on why she swipes left and right.

Except men have to fight the algorithm on dating sites too. Google what shadowbans are in relation to these apps. You're profile is scored, you'll only be shown to certain girls and sometimes not at all. Bottom of the pile unless you keep spending money. They're deliberately made like this to keep the cash rolling in from almost exclusively men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Make a profile as a man with an ugly pic. See how you get on. Sorry but women have no idea what it's like for men. You are deluded.

If youre exclusively talking about Tinder which is entirely based on judging people on their photos, 'ugly' women with bad pics certainly dont get matches either.

That said, who are these 'ugly' men swiping on? If theyre trying to match with women that are total stunners who get matched with every lad they swipe on, someone below average isnt going to make the cut, sorry if thats harsh to hear but thats just the reality and the same goes for very attractive men, they only ever swipe on equally or more attractive women.

I wonder would these 'ugly' men date women they don't find attractive or arent as attractive as other women?

I use apostrophes because 'Ugly' is subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Except men have to fight the algorithm on dating sites too. Google what shadowbans are in relation to these apps. You're profile is scored, you'll only be shown to certain girls and sometimes not at all. Bottom of the pile unless you keep spending money. They're deliberately made like this to keep the cash rolling in from almost exclusively men.

I wasn’t speaking exclusively about tinder....

And for heaven's sake, make sure your profile is verified.

• Advertisement

If youre exclusively talking about Tinder which is entirely based on judging people on their photos, 'ugly' women with bad pics certainly dont get matches either.

They will. Go test it.

I wasn’t speaking exclusively about tinder....

You do know the company who owns tinder also owns match, plenty of fish, okcupid, hinge, ship, meetic and more.... They're ALL controlled by one company and use the same algorithm. If you're goosed on one, you're goosed on them all.

Not sure why women are posting on the gentlemens board. Telling men to just be confident.

Guys, just be tall and good looking. It's so simple. :D

More seriously, I don't think all is lost for average guys in real life. I know plenty of bang average guys who find women irl. But if you're an average guy online you're pretty much screwed by the algorithm.

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Not sure why women are posting on the gentlemens board. Telling men to just be confident.

Well if you are trying to attract the opposite sex wouldn’t you also want their point of view? Not like you have to listen to it but balanced views are surely welcome!
    There’s a reason why the confidence thing is pushed left right and centre....because it’s true.

• Advertisement

Plus as a new joiner to an app you are always at the top of the algorithm because they want you to keep using the app. So delete your profile...set up a better one and at least give yourself a shot for a few days.
    Bumble isn’t owned by the Match group by the way...

Plus as a new joiner to an app you are always at the top of the algorithm because they want you to keep using the app. So delete your profile...set up a better one and at least give yourself a shot for a few days.

If you keep deleting and rebooting they'll shadowban you, fyi.

No matches as a man? Easy solution. Set yourself as gay.

Well if you are trying to attract the opposite sex wouldn’t you also want their point of view? Not like you have to listen to it but balanced views are surely welcome!
    There’s a reason why the confidence thing is pushed left right and centre....because it’s true.

It's also true that being rich, handsome and tall works. I think he knows what attracts women. He doesn't have thees qualities and telling him to just have them doesn't work. Hence he's going to prostitutes. Probably a better use of time than going on tinder abwyay.

Nobody is saying that confidence is something that you just switch on and off. Confidence is a muscle and the more you work on it, the stronger it gets.

If you're ugly and lacking confidence, what exactly would you be bringing to a relationship? What is your unique selling point?

Nobody is saying that confidence is something that you just switch on and off. Confidence is a muscle and the more you work on it, the stronger it gets.

If you're ugly and lacking confidence, what exactly would you be bringing to a relationship? What is your unique selling point?

Being a genuinely kind person goes a long way.

But bumble is terrible.

But bumble is terrible.

I agree! I mean it’s terrible for me as a woman no idea what the male experience is like.

I think bumble is better than tinder but that's not saying much. A lot of matches and then no messages or just hi. You reply and nothing. Granted I normally I delete the apps after one night cos I find them tedious and energy draining.

I agree! I mean it’s terrible for me as a woman no idea what the male experience is like.

I'd imagine even worse. I joined, paid right away, got matches but then you've to wait for them to message you. After about two months the algorithm kicked in and no matches whatsoever... I unsubbed and magically had lots of matches or people waiting for me that I couldn't view. It's another scam.

• Advertisement

Being a genuinely kind person goes a long way.

Of course it does but that's not something that can judged on a dating site.

That's something that is experienced when you've gotten a foot in the door and the actual dating begins.

Of course it does but that's not something that can judged on a dating site.

That's something that is experienced when you've gotten a foot in the door and the actual dating begins.

Oh yeah, online dating is brutal. I hate it, and I do pretty well out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Grey Fox wrote: »
    I've resigned myself to the fact that the only women I can get are either mentalists or those with really low self esteem. This is based on years of dating, which I am now sick to the teeth of. So I've decided to stay single indefinitely and visit prostitutes or erotic massage parlours for my sexual needs. I can live without the companionship part.

Unfortunately all women are nutballs or broken with low self esteem

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"All women are nutballs" eh? Another daft generalisation like that and you'll be taking a break from the forum. That goes for anyone and any group generalisation about men or women.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Unfortunately all women are nutballs or broken with low self esteem

You are generalizing an entire gender wow. But I know the types you are on about, headwreckers are very common nowadays but there is a lot of genuine women out there that have similar outlooks to life. Just search harder.

Regarding the profile photos then weird selfies lying in bed are not a good look. Go out be active take nice photos of your hiking, cycling or holidays. At least it shows you are enjoying life some bit and not lazing around

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Honestly I'd say a lot of the comments here are great examples of why so many of you struggle to meet women or speak to them on dating apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Honestly I'd say a lot of the comments here are great examples of why so many of you struggle to meet women or speak to them on dating apps.
    I think a lot of people would be better off if they had more honest friends. I'm very aware of how little I have to offer but any time I'd say something alluding to that to, now former, friends they would lie to me and say it's not true. Even with obvious things like being overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

Generally on dating apps, a girl who is normally perceived to be a 6/10 gets treated like an 8 while a guy who is normally perceived to be a 6/10 gets treated like a 4. Most average looking guys will receive 1 or 2 likes per day (maybe one of those from 5,000 miles away) while most average looking women match with pretty much everyone.

Women date up on apps while guys must date down.

I do just wonder where these women end up, like attractiveness is usually on par when people settle together and usually have relationships within their own league. Delusion was alive and well when I used these apps 4 years ago and seems to have amplified since.

This celebrity-like treatment women get from matching with pretty much every guy (many of whom would not look twice at them on a night out) has given rise to ghosting, although guys are probably guilty of this too.

Yep - both genders ghost. It’s just par for the course when online dating. It’s annoying but you can’t let it get to you or you’ll end up frustrated.

Interesting what you said about women dating up etc. If I see somebody that I would consider to be ‘out of my league’ I typically don’t swipe on them (I’m female). Though funnily enough when they chat me up in real life I wouldn’t let it stop me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Anyone use Hinge?

Advertisement