Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vrt a uk bike for 2021

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

The sale invoice is from the NI motorcycle courier who brought over the bike and it has the sellers and buyers details on it.
    If the invoice was dated in December 2020 would the vrt be under the old system.
    Then it would be over 30 days to get it registered but I was unwell in early January and I had a heart attack on 15 January

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

lipso wrote: »
    The sale invoice is from the NI motorcycle courier who brought over the bike and it has the sellers and buyers details on it.
    If the invoice was dated in December 2020 would the vrt be under the old system.
    Then it would be over 30 days to get it registered but I was unwell in early January and I had a heart attack on 15 January

Wouldn't make any difference the price and duties are done when it's presented at the centre.

You'll have to pay vrt, vat and probably a penalty for not presenting it in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I brought in a UK registered commercial bought from a dealer in the
    north, never registered in N ireland. He imported it in 16th december, I bought it 30th december. Vrt was under the old system. I would imagine a bike the same.
    Sales invoice and copy of ferry booking was required.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I brought in a UK registered commercial bought from a dealer in the
    north, never registered in N ireland. He imported it in 16th december, I bought it 30th december. Vrt was under the old system. I would imagine a bike the same.
    Sales invoice and copy of ferry booking was required.

Plenty have been caught out since the change over, some unfortunate c×nt got stung for late fees on his bike because he couldn't get an apt. Wouldn't touch anything for sale in Ireland with a yellow reg now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

I brought a UK vehicle into the country last December but am only getting around to VRT'ing it now. If I have a ferry ticket from December will I just have to pay VRT?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

newmember? wrote: »
    I brought a UK vehicle into the country last December but am only getting around to VRT'ing it now. If I have a ferry ticket from December will I just have to pay VRT?

You brought it in before Jan, and can prove it (invoice/shipping details/ferry ticket) it's just VRT.

However, you registered it late so Revenue system will raise a late payment charge which is 0.1% of the VRT due per day.

Say the VRT is €1000 and it's presented Monday 1st March and it was brought in 16th December. That'll add €75 to the bill.

If the delay is the NCT or Revenue's fault they'll possibly entertain a refund claim of that late charge.

(The VRT manual has been updated again - latest edition is Feb 2021)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭steinbock123

A classic bike that I want has just came up for sale in the UK. I know that if I buy it sight unseen that I can get a courier to deliver it back here for a fee. But I don’t want to buy it sight unseen, it’s a lot of money and I’d rather see it in the flesh before buying. Is there any restrictions on me going over to collect it myself, as it’s not an “essential journey “.
    I would hope to get the night boat to Holyhead, the bike is about 5 hours drive from Holyhead, see it , probably buy it , load it, and be back in Holyhead for the boat back at 8 pm. I can bring all my own victuals with me, so won’t have to leave the van except for toilet breaks at service areas, with all usual Covid precautions taken.
    I’m also residing more than 5km from Dublin port, so I’m breaking the law just going that far I would presume.
    Anyone know what the definitive legal position is on this ?
    (MOD: if this is in the wrong forum, please move)

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

A classic bike that I want has just came up for sale in the UK. I know that if I buy it sight unseen that I can get a courier to deliver it back here for a fee. But I don’t want to buy it sight unseen, it’s a lot of money and I’d rather see it in the flesh before buying. Is there any restrictions on me going over to collect it myself, as it’s not an “essential journey “.
    I would hope to get the night boat to Holyhead, the bike is about 5 hours drive from Holyhead, see it , probably buy it , load it, and be back in Holyhead for the boat back at 8 pm. I can bring all my own victuals with me, so won’t have to leave the van except for toilet breaks at service areas, with all usual Covid precautions taken.
    I’m also residing more than 5km from Dublin port, so I’m breaking the law just going that far I would presume.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs, don't forget you need a negative pre-departure Covid PCR test to get back into Ireland and it can take up to 48 hrs to get the result. And you have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

OK...so thinking of bringing in a 2012 bike from the UK - which would have been originally imported from Japan in 2012 and have paid VAT to the EU at that time. Bike has no log book so I'll be getting a replacement book sent to a NI address. My main question is, when I go to import it here, as the motorcycle market here is so relatively small, will they base the Purchase Price and subsequent VAT charge on the receipt or invoice I present with the bike, or do Revenue have a book price for every bike like they do for cars?

newmember? wrote: »
    OK...so thinking of bringing in a 2012 bike from the UK - which would have been originally imported from Japan in 2012 and have paid VAT to the EU at that time. Bike has no log book so I'll be getting a replacement book sent to a NI address. My main question is, when I go to import it here, as the motorcycle market here is so relatively small, will they base the Purchase Price and subsequent VAT charge on the receipt or invoice I present with the bike, or do Revenue have a book price for every bike like they do for cars?

Invoice price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You'd be breaking UK law too I'd have thought, there was an Irish guy fined £1200 by Welsh police recently for going over to buy a car....

I daresay an Irish reg van will stick out like a sore thumb these days too....

And when you do get to Ireland who's going to clear it at the port for Customs & VAT ?? You'll have to pre-clear it and get a PBN from Revenue just to get on the ferry home.....

It'd want to bloody special to be worth even half the bother tbh - what is it anyway?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement