Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vrt a uk bike for 2021

Options
  • 23-01-2021 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi
    Has anyone imported a used bike from uk mainland since start of 2021 and vrt’d it? What’s the vrt process re customs and vat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

Looked at that link, it’s clearer than the vrt faq page. I’m just wondering what extra im going to have to pay. It’s a 2019 50cc moped for £835. Is there someone who could tell me straight what l need to do and expect to pay. It’s being brought over by a n Irish courier. How would the NI option work? Would the bike have to be shown to have been bought by someone in NI and registered there and then sold on to me? It’s crazy I live only 9 miles from Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

lipso wrote: »
    Looked at that link, it’s clearer than the vrt faq page. I’m just wondering what extra im going to have to pay. It’s a 2019 50cc moped for £835. Is there someone who could tell me straight what l need to do and expect to pay. It’s being brought over by a n Irish courier. How would the NI option work? Would the bike have to be shown to have been bought by someone in NI and registered there and then sold on to me? It’s crazy I live only 9 miles from Derry.

You'll have to pay VRT of €80 and VAT on the invoice+shipping.

The courier being from NI has no difference as the bike would have to have been in NI for several months to avoid the VAT, people in Derry now have to pay VAT on any vehicle they import from Britain. You need to get customs pre clearance to bring it into either NI or Ireland.

If you can find one already registered in NI then you can avoid VAT provided that it's done >6k km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭goblin59

Del2005 wrote: »
    You'll have to pay VRT of €80 and VAT on the invoice+shipping.

The courier being from NI has no difference as the bike would have to have been in NI for several months to avoid the VAT, people in Derry now have to pay VAT on any vehicle they import from Britain. You need to get customs pre clearance to bring it into either NI or Ireland.

If you can find one already registered in NI then you can avoid VAT provided that it's done >6k km.

what?
    if the V5c says the bike was in NI before you got it then you don't pay any VAT, get a mate from NI to buy the bike in their name and sell it to you.
    I did this in January as the bike I'm working on was bought by my Dad initially before getting put into my name on a NI address and then transferred over to the Dublin Reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

So would the mate in NI have to officially register it there in his name on v5 and then ‘sell’ it to me?
    Was your bike imported in 2021? And does it have to be in NI for a certain length of time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

So would the mate in NI have to officially register it there in his name on v5 and then ‘sell’ it to me?
    Was your bike imported in 2021? And does it have to be in NI for a certain length of time?

Revenue have already said they'll be scrutinising NI imports for exactly that. Any ex-GB vehicle routed via NI will attract Customs & VAT.

It would need to be regd in NI for some time to avoid it, certainly a good few months I'd say.

For now, unless its a machine sold and registered from new in NI, I'd be very cautious and assume Customs & VAT will apply.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭goblin59

I don't think they can check how long it was in NI for tbh, I did my import in 2021 with no hassle, the bike was an NI registration when I took it in for import, I stated where it was kept before I brought it in.

Its not your job to find out the history of the bike, as far as your concerned the bike was bought in NI when your mate bought it from England, had it a few days and just hated it enough to sell it to you for a few quid after. But there will be a delay in the DVLA sending out the new V5C to your mates address, I think it took 15 days for a new one to arrive

goblin59 wrote: »
    I don't think they can check how long it was in NI for tbh, I did my import in 2021 with no hassle, the bike was an NI registration when I took it in for import, I stated where it was kept before I brought it in.

Its not your job to find out the history of the bike, as far as your concerned the bike was bought in NI when your mate bought it from England, had it a few days and just hated it enough to sell it to you for a few quid after. But there will be a delay in the DVLA sending out the new V5C to your mates address, I think it took 15 days for a new one to arrive

Previous owner info and change of ownership date should be on the V5, so easy to check iirc

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

You have to pay VAT when you export from Britain to Ireland or Northern Ireland, so getting your NI mate to buy it doesn't get you off paying VAT.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/trading-and-moving-goods-in-and-out-of-northern-ireland-from-1-january-2021#moving-excise-goods

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You don't.

You are liable for VAT if importing, but I'm pretty sure Exporters are not expected to pay VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

They can check when it was last taxed in the UK so I'm sure they can check that too.

what?
    if the V5c says the bike was in NI before you got it then you don't pay any VAT, get a mate from NI to buy the bike in their name and sell it to you.
    I did this in January as the bike I'm working on was bought by my Dad initially before getting put into my name on a NI address and then transferred over to the Dublin Reg.

Not sure how he did this because the Vat is payable when Imported to NI from England Scotland and Wales. The assumed "back door" is closed.

@op you're in a very easy position to buy from NI where the bike market is arguably better. If it was me I'd limit my search to NI and ROI bikes. The estimated cost difference being thrown around is that the duties etc will make it around 15-20% more expensive than the average price of the same vehicle already registered in Ireland. I follow a very active car group on FB and they did some case studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭blade1

galwaytt wrote: »
    Revenue have already said they'll be scrutinising NI imports for exactly that. Any ex-GB vehicle routed via NI will attract Customs & VAT.

It would need to be regd in NI for some time to avoid it, certainly a good few months I'd say.

For now, unless its a machine sold and registered from new in NI, I'd be very cautious and assume Customs & VAT will apply.

I also heard any bikes coming from Europe via UK are going to get hit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭Goose81

zubair wrote: »

So if bringing in from mainland UK you have to pay Irish vat however I presume you can reclaim the UK vat after?

I.e whatever Vat was paid by whoever first bought that motorcycle when it was registered in the UK should re reclaimable from the UK government.

I might be wrong but I think that's correct.

What are the import duties based on, it's not clear at all from that link.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've a cousin who lives in N.I. with exactly the same name as mine........hmmmmmm.

I've a cousin who lives in N.I. with exactly the same name as mine........hmmmmmm.

LOL, your cousin still has to pay vat and customs.

blade1 wrote: »
    I also heard any bikes coming from Europe via UK are going to get hit as well.

If the final destination is within the EU they won't be hit.

Goose81 wrote: »
    So if bringing in from mainland UK you have to pay Irish vat however I presume you can reclaim the UK vat after?

I.e whatever Vat was paid by whoever first bought that motorcycle when it was registered in the UK should re reclaimable from the UK government.

I might be wrong but I think that's correct.

There is no way to reclaim the VAT after export as it was an EU law that allowed it. You can buy VAT free for export, you have to buy from a dealer

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/vat-personal-exports-tax-free-sales-of-new-motor-vehicles-for-use-before-export/vexmotors3100#:~:text=Form%20VAT%20410%20is%20used,the%20VAT%20410%20application%20form.&text=HMRC%20copy%20to%20be%20forwarded,to%20the%20PTU%20for%20approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

The value as declared on the sales document.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭Goose81

The value as declared on the sales document.

What % are these import duties? These are in addition to VRT.. Thats nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

10% import duty and then 21% VAT on everything.

Just buy from Germany/France/Italy/Spain - no customs, no VAT (on used).

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aido43

or buy from N Ireland--saves all that transport messing. Dealers up North have much more stock than south and better condition bikes--and sterling rate is great at moment. Check out McCallens.

aido43 wrote: »
    or buy from N Ireland--saves all that transport messing. Dealers up North have much more stock than south and better condition bikes--and sterling rate is great at moment. Check out McCallens.

True so long as the bike as actually an NI registered bike, not a GB one. If it was bought into NI from GB by trader to sell, then Customs & VAT apply on top of VRT.....

Ode To The Motorist

Any bikes Ive looked at in NI were registered there--not sure how Revenue is going to prove trader in NI brought it in for sale .

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Any bikes Ive looked at in NI were registered there--not sure how Revenue is going to prove trader in NI brought it in for sale .

Surely from the licence plate (i.e. place of registration code is in England, Scotland or Wales).....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Surely from the licence plate (i.e. place of registration code is in England, Scotland or Wales).....

Plenty of GB reg on bikes and cars in NI, the old three letter plates aren't a dead giveaway any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭blade1

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Plenty of GB reg on bikes and cars in NI, the old three letter plates aren't a dead giveaway any longer.

If you look up the plate on gov.uk only English ones will show up.

Well isn't that just the beauty of it - they'll say it was, and you'll have to prove it wasn't. That's usually the way they work things.

Last date taxed, MOT'd, change of ownership date etc. Won't be hard to figure it out.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

Yes thats probably the Revenue stance--pay up or prove otherwise.

Advertisement