Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society - Kilkea Castle - 18th July 2020 @ 11:56

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Hi Folks, any chance we could get a few days notice when the teamer is coming out just in case spaces are limited for the rest of the outings Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Are the 8min slots correct? I thought 4-balls at 10 Minute intervals is the max allowable in the GUI guidelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

kieran. wrote: »
    Are the 8 min slots correct? I thought 4-balls at 10 Minute intervals is the max allowable in the GUI guidelines?

Never kopped that, According to the return to golf protocol, its 13 mins until 20th July, Phase 4......12 minutes Phase 5 from August 10th. May have all changed though really not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Never kopped that, According to the return to golf protocol, its 13 mins until 20th July, Phase 4......12 minutes Phase 5 from August 10th. May have all changed though really not sure.

There was a move forward to 10 minutes a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

10 minutes i think.
    but i don't think ive ever seen 8 minute interval for 4 balls, would be very tight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Seve OB wrote: »
    10 minutes i think.
    but i don't think ive ever seen 8 minute interval for 4 balls, would be very tight

You havent played a Carr golf course

• Registered Users Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

gypsy79 wrote: »
    You havent played a Carr golf course

I’m a member in one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Further update, Kevh out, Kieran. in

Tee Time|Player 1|Player 2|Player 3|Player 4
    12:04|break80|CharlieIRL|Slave1|OffalyMedic
    12:12|GolfGraffix|Gmur1894|Rossyd2005|Jarrieta
    12:20|Seve OB|Seve OB Guest|Rainbow Warrior|Snackbox20
    12:28|A Post Punk|Ballyman|Macker1|Paulos53
    12:36|Panic Stations|FixDePitchmark|Brian Rossiter|Athlone99
    12:44|Golfnut203|Iang87|Benny79|Golfhead65
    12:52|The Big Easy|Kieran.|Ballyk|Pakman
    13:00|Spacecoyote|Alanm|Tigerwood1|Princess Poppy
    Backup List
    Kiith
    Kingswood Rover
    Woodyg
    Gypsy79

Confirmed for food:

Food
    snackbox20
    pakman
    Brian rossiter
    break80
    golfnut203
    athlone99
    a post punk
    the big easy
    Golfhead65
    jarrieta
    Gmur1894
    alanm
    Paulos
    Rainbow Warrior
    Rossyd2005
    Kieran.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Hi space, will you add me for food if possible please, thanks. Really looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭benny79

I suppose I may do a course guide since its my home course I will stick one up during the week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

benny79 wrote: »
    I suppose I may do a course guide since its my home course I will stick one up during the week :D

Could you consider one for someone driving the balls so wide - the good other fairways to hit :p:D

Could you consider one for someone driving the balls so wide - the good other fairways to hit :p:D
    With Benny's golf he should easily be able to give the "Alternative" guide to playing Kilkea :D

Further update, thanks to past captain & Kilkea member Benny, we've secured 1 extra tee time. The start Time is now 11:56 and we are able to accommodate all members who have accepted .

There are a couple of tweaks in there, I'm trying to get handicap spreads as even as possible across the board, so please take note of your time.

11:56|Break80|CharlieIRL|Slave1|OffalyMedic
    12:04|GolfGraffix|Gmur1894|Rossyd2005|Jarrieta
    12:12|Seve OB|Mark O'Reilly (Guest)|A Post Punk|Snackbox20
    12:20|Rainbow Warrior|Ballyman|Macker1|Kiith
    12:28|Kieran.|FixDePitchmark|Brian Rossiter|Athlone99
    12:36|Golfnut203|Iang87|Benny79|Golfhead65
    12:44|The Big Easy|Panic Stations|Ballyk|Pakman
    12:52|Paulos53|Woodyg|Kingswood Rover|Gypsy79

Confirmed for food:

Food
    snackbox20
    pakman
    Brian rossiter
    break80
    golfnut203
    athlone99
    a post punk
    the big easy
    Golfhead65
    jarrieta
    Gmur1894
    alanm
    Paulos
    Rainbow Warrior
    Rossyd2005
    Kieran.
    Princess Poppy
    woodyg
    Kingswood Rover
    Kiith

Just a note, we are at 20 for food, which is the max for the provisional booking. If anyone else is eating, we need to know about it as we need to let the club know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Looking forward to getting out on Saturday now. Thanks for sticking with it Space!

Any chance of a picture of the scorecard along with the course guide Benny?! And what tees are we off?

Yes, maybe a best holes for a wild slice would be good! :D Usually don't have the power for the wrong fairway game, but have been playing a bit this week to tune up :)

Something similar was posted previously in the Portmarnock thread, so thought, since its been a while, that I'd update it to keep people up to speed

•We will be playing off the yellow tees
    •Be ready at the first tee for your tee time. Please do not arrive on the box on top of the group ahead of you, in order to ensure that social distancing is maintained. Adhere to the time gaps on the first tee to keep adequate distance between groups.
    •Your place on the course is behind the group in front, not ahead of the group behind, so please try and keep to a decent pace of play. We're out on a new course, playing in four-balls, with other societies also playing, so things will likely be slow. Please do everything in your own power minimise any delays
    •The Society plays "Ready Golf". This means that you don't need to observe who has the honour on each tee box. If you're ready to hit, get up & do so. It keeps things flowing. Follow a similar approach across the whole course. If you're a yard ahead on the fairway, but you can play & your partner can't, go ahead & play your shot. We're a friendly (but competitive) society, not playing on the PGA Tour.
    •If in doubt, shout "FORE"
    •If in doubt, hit a provisional ball off the tee. Better to have a ball out there & not need it rather than hike back to the tee box/original spot
    •You have 3 minutes to find a lost ball from the time you arrive at the spot you believe it to be. For playing partners, if someone is searching and you're in a position to hit your ball, can you please hit first before helping your partners search. Again, this keeps things flowing
    •If you've scratched a hole, pick up the ball. Do not continue to play until you've holed out. It can slow things down considerably. For reference, once you've hit a net double-bogey, that's a scratch
    •For the "nearest the pin" hole, your first tee shot has to be on the green to be eligible. If you see 1 name on the sheet and they're closer than you, put down your measure, as if someone wins another prize, we will give 2nd closest the prize. This will likely be the 16th hole, will confirm if this changes.
    •Similarly, for the "Longest Drive" hole, your first drive must be on the Fairway to qualify. If you're a touch short, and there's only one name on the board stick your name & how much further back you were from the leader & you may pick up the prize. This will likely be the 13th, will confirm if this changes.
    •We will be using a digital scorecard on the day, thanks to GolfGraffix. More details on the use of this to follow in a specific post. you can take a card out with you if you want, to track your own score.
    •We're living in Covid world now, so please adhere to social distancing guidelines. Stay 2m from your playing partners. Don't shake hands before or after the round.
    •Do not touch/remove the flagsticks
    •Bunkers are in play, you can place the ball within 6 inches, no closer to the hole, without smoothing the sand first. Please smooth out the sand as best you can with your shoe/club after you have played your shot.
    •Finally, and most of all, welcome back and enjoy the golf

I think I've covered most things, but happy for any further suggestions or info people want to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭athlone99

Would anyone mind swapping an earlier tee time with me? Ill be travelling with Charlie so if i could get a time closer to him that would be very mich appreciated, if not no worries ðŸ‘ðŸ»

athlone99 wrote: »
    Would anyone mind swapping an earlier tee time with me? Ill be travelling with Charlie so if i could get a time closer to him that would be very mich appreciated, if not no worries ðŸ‘ðŸ»

I'll sort that out. Didnt realise you were travelling together. Unless someone asked for a specific time, they're subject to change. Have switched you with Gmur1894.

11:56|Break80|CharlieIRL|Slave1|OffalyMedic
    12:04|GolfGraffix|Athlone99|Rossyd2005|Jarrieta
    12:28|Kieran.|FixDePitchmark|Brian Rossiter|Gmur1894

Confirmed for food:

Food
    snackbox20
    pakman
    Brian rossiter
    break80
    golfnut203
    athlone99
    a post punk
    the big easy
    Golfhead65
    jarrieta
    Gmur1894
    alanm
    Paulos
    Rainbow Warrior
    Rossyd2005
    Kieran.
    Princess Poppy
    woodyg
    Kingswood Rover
    Kiith

Timesheet revision for Rossyd2005 drop out

11:56|Slave1|CharlieIRL|OffalyMedic
    12:04|GolfGraffix|Athlone99|Break80|Jarrieta

Confirmed for food:

Food
    snackbox20
    pakman
    Brian rossiter
    break80
    golfnut203
    athlone99
    a post punk
    the big easy
    Golfhead65
    jarrieta
    Gmur1894
    alanm
    Paulos
    Rainbow Warrior
    Kieran.
    Princess Poppy
    woodyg
    Kingswood Rover
    Kiith

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hey space, sorry but i have to pull out. I am apparently required at a birthday party my wife organised on Saturday morning. It's always nice to be told these things in advance...

If we can't fill the spot, i'll still pay for it, as it's really short notice. I'll take my name off Teamer in a few minutes.

Timesheet revision for Kiith drop out

12:04|Athlone99|Break80|Jarrieta
    12:12|Seve OB|Mark O'Reilly (Guest)|A Post Punk|GolfGraffix
    12:20|Rainbow Warrior|Ballyman|Macker1|Snackbox20

Confirmed for food:

Food
    snackbox20
    pakman
    Brian rossiter
    break80
    golfnut203
    athlone99
    a post punk
    the big easy
    Golfhead65
    jarrieta
    Gmur1894
    alanm
    Paulos
    Rainbow Warrior
    Kieran.
    Princess Poppy
    woodyg
    Kingswood Rover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭athlone99

I wont be getting food now Emmet so can you remove me form that list please.

Thanks!

The Neverending revision story continues

jqmvly4ptl041.jpg

12:04|Athlone99|Break80|Jarrieta
    12:12|Seve OB|Mark O'Reilly (Guest)|A Post Punk|Roadrunner
    12:20|Rainbow Warrior|Ballyman|Macker1|Snackbox20

Confirmed for food:

Food
    snackbox20
    pakman
    Brian rossiter
    break80
    golfnut203
    a post punk
    the big easy
    Golfhead65
    jarrieta
    Gmur1894
    alanm
    Paulos
    Rainbow Warrior
    Kieran.
    Princess Poppy
    woodyg
    Kingswood Rover
    FixDePitchmark
    Roadrunner

Kilkea Castle Course Guide

Hole 1. (Par 4) This is a dog leg right. You wont see the green. So a slight fade or a draw over the right corner of trees as the fairway is wide and does open up. Or top of hill straight in front of you will leave 210 yds in. You can reach the trees straight in front off tee so try cut the corner a bit or play to hill. There is 2 bunkers just right of bend however. Green is straight forward with bunkers either side.

Hole 2. (Par 5) Water in front is 230yds roughly off whites. I normally hit 5I, rescue down to it as its the % shot. Off yellows I think you could be past the trees left of tee box. So I would clear the water if this is the case (Driver). Its a real risk and reward hole of the tee. Hole then turns to the right a bit. Green is long width wise with bunkers either end. so dont be long. Short if anything.

Hole 3. (Par 4) Position is key off the tee here! (like most holes on the course) Line is far bunker. You need to be right of fairway. Miss is right also. Anything left is dead you wont find it or you be blocked out as there is a big tree left hand side of fairway. Green straight forward long front to back.

Hole 4. (Par3) Hole is over water and club selection is key depending on wind can be anything from 9I to 5I. 2 tier green from back to front. Try to be below hole leaving an uphill putt. Miss is Right.

Hole 5. (Par 5) Off yellows its easy enough trees all down right hand side and theres a really bad bunker about 30 yds out from green on right hand side to be aware off, as its hidden. Green is long from left to right like a U. So be short if anything.

Hole 6. (Par 3) Easiest hole on course. be right hand-side of green will leave you an uphill putt. Miss is right there is loads of room and a bunker. Anything left of tee into the long stuff forget about it. RELOAD.

Hole 7. (Par 4) Index 2 You need a good long drive to leave a short iron in, as green is very hard to hold. I actually play it as a par 5. Tiger line is over trees left of tee box as it opens up but be aware oob is down the left till end of trees. Green slopes from front to back with bunkers left and right. No easy putt here.

Hole 8. (Par 4) Another long par 4. Line is left of big tree in distance. But you need to be on right hand side of fairway as hole is a dogleg left. The trees on the left tend to suck you in. There is bunkers right side of that tree so be aware. Just remember the fairway is wide! & down hill, over the hill. Green is wide enough even doe it mighten look it.

Hole 9. (Par 4) Dogleg right. Love this hole and good birdie chance. Line is straight or Tiger line is over the big bush like ball on right but you need a good hit else you'll end up in trees. There is a gap far right of trees if you slice it so you could get lucky but do reload just in case. There is bunkers hidden on left on fairway off tee but miss is still left of tee. Green is down hill right to left surrounded by bunkers dont be long.

Hole 10. (Par 3) Good birdie chance here and opportunity for the 2's. Don't be long doe. Green slopes from back to front.

Hole 11. (Par 4) Everything is in front of you. Oob is all down the left. Fairway is wide and there is room off it to the left but if you slice it left or are to far left your gone! ul never find it. RELOAD. Green has bunkers either side at front and bushes at back so just aim for centre its big & flat and most putts be straight.

Hole 12. (par 5) Slight dogleg left but straight forward. Trees down either side. Oob is all down left doe. Green slopes steeply from back to front with 1 bunker on the left. So try be below the Flag for uphill putt.

Hole 13. (Par 4) Longest drive.. I picked this as its a tricky drive. Hole is straight forward. Trees either side. The fairway is hard to hold doe. As everything slopes right to left. Green is long, left to right. Slopes back to front. dont be long..

Hole 14. (Par 3) Can be into the wind so club selection is vital as green is surrounded so you wont notice the wind. Bunkers on right. Green slopes back to front 2 tier nearly. Dont be long or left.

Hole 15. (Par 4) Off the yellows its a great tee box as you are teeing off in the middle of the lake. So you have to walk past the white tee box down the fairway a bit to the right. Its a straight forward hole from here. Raised green slight slope from back to front bunkers on the right.

Hole 16. (par 3) WELCOME TO OUR BEAR TRAP :D
    Watch for the wind! be long and don't go left else your dead. Plays longer then it looks. Tree on right before river catches balls and they can drop into river. ENJOY.

Hole 17. (Par 4)Index 1. My best advise is that people look at this hole on the fly over in the first post in this thread. Its a sharp dog leg right. You need to clear the river and be on the far side of fairway for a shot in. Too far & you will go through fairway into the trees. Pick a club & be confident off yellows should be 3 wood or rescue. The further right you go the longer your tee shot will be. You can lay up of the tee, line is over tree on right as it opens up before river but there is high trees blocking the green hence why when going for fairway you have to be on left hand side looking in. This hole cost me the Captains last year and can be a card wrecker. You either love it or hate it.
    Green is easy enough its uphill from front to back. Its getting to it that's the hard part..lol..

Hole 18. (Par 4) My favourite hole as you are shooting into the castle. Its a dogleg left. The lake is on the left off the tee so anything to far left could be in trouble. Anything right of the tee forget about it as you will never find it. RELOAD. There is 2 bunkers straight ahead at end of fairway which you mighten see. so slight draw of tee. Green is 2 tier from back to front so be below hole. Do stop to look around on approach doe as its amazing scenery.

My best advise is to give every tee shot consideration as positioning of the Tee is vital. Greens are straight forward. Everything is in front of you. They are playing a bit slow. As during lock down the birds were picking holes on them but the green keeper has been doing a great job of repairing them.

It is a long course and the bad rough is knee high so if your ball does go in there forget about it. RELOAD. We are a fun society were not playing at the masters!

Most of all enjoy..

Benny.

athlone99 wrote: »
    I wont be getting food now Emmet so can you remove me form that list please.

Thanks!

Emmet - put me down for food instead rather than cancel.

By the way lads that drop out should be placed down list on offers in teamer for next outings.

Benny fair play. It sounds like I'll be happy to get 30 points.

You make the place sound terrifying.

With the trees, lakes , dog legs , oob - dead, reload. Reminded me of this.
    It is the South West Vietnam of kildare.

Cant beat a bit of Creedence Fix!!!

Benny has probably brought a few diseases in from Vietnam to Kildare too :D

Ha... Its a bombers paradise! So if there ever was a time Fix ;) Wide fairways you just have to be on right side of them else you will be blocked out or have a very tough approach.

Just Kildare Space! :D

Not re-adding the revised one again, I've just edited the timesheet above to include Roadrunner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Fighting a left miss all week. This sounds like I'll be sweating bullets on half the holes.

Advertisement