Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy protein powder?

Options
  • 07-07-2020 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

Hey

I'm looking for the best place to buy protein powder and a shaker, is there any shops in Dublin you'd recommended or any websites?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Plenty of options. Two of the most popular would be MyProtein and Bulk Powders

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

Used both of the CO's over the years and after multiple Fcuk ups i now just buy from local shops.

Ive received the wrong flavours, wrong size containers etc and would rather spend the extra couple of euro and spend local plus get what im looking for without having to make returns.

CHeck out Bruteforce nutrition on Facebook.They do lotsof bargains and usually throw in something else if youre a loyal customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

rondog wrote: »
    Used both of the CO's over the years and after multiple Fcuk ups i now just buy from local shops.

Ive received the wrong flavours, wrong size containers etc and would rather spend the extra couple of euro and spend local plus get what im looking for without having to make returns.

CHeck out Bruteforce nutrition on Facebook.They do lotsof bargains and usually throw in something else if youre a loyal customer.

I've used both MyProtein and Bulk Powders for years and they've never messed up any of my orders. Either I'm very lucky or you're very unlucky :)

Edit: For the craic I looked up my order history, and I've had 17 orders with MyProtein and 8 with Bulk Powders :D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I buy isolate whey protein from

pinksun.co.uk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Deadmou5e

I get mine in SuperValu. Not sure if it’s the cheapest but I don’t mind the price and often there is a special on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

HP Nutrition. Great range of supplements, decent prices, and very quick delivery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Deadmou5e

anacc wrote: »
    HP Nutrition. Great range of supplements, decent prices, and very quick delivery.

Presume that’s only online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭VonLuck

OmegaGene wrote: »
    My protein customer here
    Free delivery on €60 spend and up to 45% off at the moment

I would take all their offers with a pinch of salt. They always have offers on so their sale prices are effectively their normal prices. I don't think I've ever had to pay "full price" for whey protein on their site.

VonLuck wrote: »
    I would take all their offers with a pinch of salt. They always have offers on so their sale prices are effectively their normal prices. I don't think I've ever had to pay "full price" for whey protein on their site.

That's true but the bottom line is that you will get very good value unless you're impatient and wind up paying the no-discount premium for not holding on for a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭VonLuck

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The sales aren’t always on at 45% that’s why I mentioned it
    During lockdown it was 50% off and buy one get one free, they always have sales but some sales are better than others

I've looked through my past few purchases and no matter what the percentage off was, the end price works out at roughly the same. The normal price must fluctuate to allow them to appear to have greater discounts.
    That's true but the bottom line is that you will get very good value unless you're impatient and wind up paying the no-discount premium for not holding on for a week or two.

That's fair. Just pointing it out in case people rush to buy because it appears that there's 45% off!

• Advertisement

VonLuck wrote: »
    I've looked through my past few purchases and no matter what the percentage off was, the end price works out at roughly the same. The normal price must fluctuate to allow them to appear to have greater discounts.

That's fair. Just pointing it out in case people rush to buy because it appears that there's 45% off!

Absolutely. No harm flagging it so people don't think it's a massive discount and rush to buy without just checking around on the actual price

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

I buy mine from amazon, since I'm a prime member and I usually like the handling when things go wrong. In my case I buy dymatize iso 100, which has very good macros and flavor (0 carbs/fat) - I highly recommend gourmet chocolate. Vanilla is fine too, but gets boring.

gagomes wrote: »
    I buy mine from amazon, since I'm a prime member and I usually like the handling when things go wrong. In my case I buy dymatize iso 100, which has very good macros and flavor (0 carbs/fat) - I highly recommend gourmet chocolate. Vanilla is fine too, but gets boring.

That does have carbs. 7.6g/100g. Not that makes it a poor product or anything. Just not a 0 carb one.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

That does have carbs. 7.6g/100g. Not that makes it a poor product or anything. Just not a 0 carb one.

I stand corrected. I was either not aware or at some point I just summarized it to myself as 0 given how small amounts it has.

For what it's worth, Gourmet Chocolate's macros are:

0,8 g carbs and 0.6g fat per scoop which is an extremely negligible amount :)

source https://www.dymatize-athletic-nutrition.com/en_GB/products/iso100-hydrolyzed?number=25180201

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SimplyBlue

Deadmou5e wrote: »
    Presume that’s only online?

Don't know if you can go into the store but im fairly sure you can collect orders from them, located in Kerry I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Big fan of Ros nutrition blue label. They're an Irish company.

50 euro for 1.82kg tub of whey isolate.

Used to use myprotein but honestly I heard some negative stories about how its manufactured. Plus since I made the move to Ros I've realised how much better it tastes vs myprotein.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Big fan of Ros nutrition blue label. They're an Irish company.

50 euro for 1.82kg tub of whey isolate.

Used to use myprotein but honestly I heard some negative stories about how its manufactured. Plus since I made the move to Ros I've realised how much better it tastes vs myprotein.

What were the stories?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I have used MyProtein extensively and also Bulk Powders.

However, for my last order I went with The Protein Works on a whim ... Two different flavours of their Whey Protein 80.

It was (I think) 5 euro more expensive than an equivalent amount of a roughly equivalent product would have been from MyProtein.

The Protein Works promotes themselves as a competitor to companies which get their whey from third party contracts, there's a bit of sales about them making it themselves and the better recipe they use, but I have to say that I am impressed with the way it tastes and mixes compared to the last few purchases from MyProtein. I'd probably give it a whirl again. It's not miles better, but it's also only marginally more expensive and if anyone wants to try an alternative brand might be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

What were the stories?

Basically they were related to being cheap and chinese made powders, that are imported/packaged in europe and some of the ingredients are very questionable. Also, apparently they used to be connected to the chinese baby formula scandal a few years ago.

I know its all hearsay shíte but honestly since I made the move to ROS powders I feel like their just better quality in general with nicer flavours.
    The smell/taste of the myprotein chocolate makes me gag.

Advertisement