Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bryson DeChambeau

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

Fred_ wrote: »
    For those saying he had moved the game on... How has he moved it on any more than Tiger / Daly when they came in to the scene with massive power advantages? Similar could be said of Nicklaus. Power is, was and always will be an advantage but he's not unique in having a power avantage.

The most surprising thing for me is that he is fairly accurate considering the big gains.

His thinking is along the lines of:

Has a stable up down simple swing.
    Added speed promotes an element of deviation, thus to stabilize that he adds weight, bulks up.
    Heavier, fast moving objects less prone to speed wobbles.
    This translates to more distance and retention of accuracy.

Sounds like a scientists thinking to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fred_

thegolfer wrote: »

Added speed promotes an element of deviation, thus to stabilize that he adds weight, bulks up.

Interesting. He's not the first golfer to add weight. Harrington did it a few years back. Also the likes of Nicklaus and Duval lost weight. Is every golfer going to start pulling on the kilos?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Fred_ wrote: »
    Interesting. He's not the first golfer to add weight. Harrington did it a few years back. Also the likes of Nicklaus and Duval lost weight. Is every golfer going to start pulling on the kilos?

Shane Lowry will be chuffed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Okay, enough of the Lowry weight jibes, we're sick of it at this stage

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

thegolfer wrote: »

This is exactly what he has done , applied brainpower to the issues ie clubs the same length for consistency of swing , first player in generations to think laterally about the game and its processes .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

This is exactly what he has done , applied brainpower to the issues ie clubs the same length for consistency of swing , first player in generations to think laterally about the game and its processes .

I dont think there is any real science it. He is just following a fad thing. Its only a step removed from aimpoint, stack and tilt, or putting a line on the ball for putting. But golfers have always been suckers for stuff with no scientific basis what so ever like beleving in the gold at the end of a rainbow. In his case, its just wrapped in a scientific flavoured wrapper. Science involves testing a theory, proving it, and it standing up to criticism. He is just a guy with a gimmick. Add in commentators who are happy to big up the guy with a science degree as the Einstein of golf. If there was anything too it, you would have loads of lads at it, and it would be the new way to swing. But no. Its not for the first, second, or third time it has been tried either, and has always just died off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Matmania

Well the man has the same sized clubs for everything. Also he has done homework on the long drive etc. To say it is a fad is a load of nonsense. This guy is trying something different same size clubs all clubs. If you have played the game his swing is different anyone saying anything else dont know golf. Its a totally different swing to the pros. And if u disagree if you play the game post your swing. Its different, He will win the /masters thats why he done it. Heres is my bets i had lucas glover 175/1 us open er els 50 /1 british open woodland us open 50/1 etc bubba both masters. Webb Last week. Guy who lost in the play off 2 weeks ago. On xanader this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not sure his short game/chipping is up to winning the Masters myself but if Danny Willett can get a green jacket....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Matmania wrote: »
    Well the man has the same sized clubs for everything. Also he has done homework on the long drive etc. To say it is a fad is a load of nonsense. This guy is trying something different same size clubs all clubs. If you have played the game his swing is different anyone saying anything else dont know golf. Its a totally different swing to the pros. And if u disagree if you play the game post your swing. Its different, He will win the /masters thats why he done it. Heres is my bets i had lucas glover 175/1 us open er els 50 /1 british open woodland us open 50/1 etc bubba both masters. Webb Last week. Guy who lost in the play off 2 weeks ago. On xanader this week.

The whiff of whiskey off that post!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Matmania

Well a guy using the same size clubs for me is something different. Don't know anyone doing that. Also trying to increase ball speed to a limit where accuracy is not effected is different. It may not work but it's different. Interesting to see how the rest of year go's.

• Advertisement

Well holy God. 374 yards there on the 13th. A 399 par four and he gust has a greenside pitch in. 5 of his drives were beyond 350 yards. And he didnt even try every time. He did throttle back for placement on a few holes to 290yards with his 'shorter' sticks. But stock drive is now 340 something and more in the tank when he wants.

3-8-6-?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

From will gray on twitter; Spoke to Bryson. He took issue with cameraman following him especially closely after he splashed sand in anger near 7 green.

"I think we need to start protecting our players out here compared to showing a potential vulnerability and hurting someone's image."

More from Bryson, who explained his on-course frustration as a sign that he "cares a lot about the game."

"As much as we're out here performing, I think it's necessary that we have our times of privacy as well when things aren't going our way."

What a load of rubbish. An absolute whinging child. And this is why he’s not likable. For a lad who is seeking a lot of attention lately with his weight gain, extra length and comments on old courses he wants his privacy in a public sport!! Look at me look at me look at me; wait don’t. Such a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

From will gray on twitter; Spoke to Bryson. He took issue with cameraman following him especially closely after he splashed sand in anger near 7 green.

"I think we need to start protecting our players out here compared to showing a potential vulnerability and hurting someone's image."

More from Bryson, who explained his on-course frustration as a sign that he "cares a lot about the game."

"As much as we're out here performing, I think it's necessary that we have our times of privacy as well when things aren't going our way."

What a load of rubbish. An absolute whinging child. And this is why he’s not likable. For a lad who is seeking a lot of attention lately with his weight gain, extra length and comments on old courses he wants his privacy in a public sport!! Look at me look at me look at me; wait don’t. Such a clown.

Is he actually saying "look at me" though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Bit grim really - Career kicking into gear and there’s already going to be a media agenda against him to paint him to be an asshole etc.

It’s fairly sad really but a reality of media.

I dont think that fair really. There has been nothing up to this really and he was offside yesterday and its not fair either to be accusing the media of something their going to do when they havent dont it yet. Media has been very friendly to him since he came out and bigged up him big time on his science/engineering/physics (depending on the commentator) degree that he has as if that something so special and so he has figured out golf like an equation. And the single length irons thing. It was a novelty and he is doing very very well, but it has gained him lots of attention, most in the fair play to him style. And Hogan, sorry Mr. Hogan worship and the modern fundamentals and the cap thing. Its all fine. But he was bang out of order yesterday and it did show someone more concerned with his immage and in a totally irrational and unreasonable way (hey - only show my good stuff please!), so he deserves some criticism for it today. If thats the end of it, and it may be, then move on. No need to make a thing of it. I do have a feeling this lad is heading for world number one.

Drives so far. Impressive

Realitve to McIlroy would not have though of that stat they put up there that if he closes this one out he will be the only one to join Thomas, Johnson and Koepka as the only players to win 6 tournaments on the US tour in the last four years. So thats just not a good four weeks and coming back pumped, hes seriously on that track to be number one for a while and despite Rorys ranking, Dechambeau looks the best out there. Playing three weeks and needing a break from McIlroy isnt going to cut Id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Realitve to McIlroy would not have though of that stat they put up there that if he closes this one out he will be the only one to join Thomas, Johnson and Koepka as the only players to win 6 tournaments on the US tour in the last four years.

What does this sentence mean? I can't seem to translate it. I take it English isn't your first language? Could you use shorter sentences maybe it might help.

Playing three weeks and needing a break from McIlroy isnt going to cut Id say.

Bringing everything back to McIlroy. He will go away and work on his game

That is a ridiculous statement

You do realise how the rankings work? Unless he is willing to play more than 52 comps over 2 years then no advantage

And in fact a disadvantage as he has now won with a much lower points

• Advertisement

BoldReason wrote: »
    What does this sentence mean? I can't seem to translate it. I take it English isn't your first language? Could you use shorter sentences maybe it might help.

Sorry lad, what I mean is that while McIlroy might be number one on the world rankings when you just look at simple wins on tour which is really the name of the game, then those are the four main men. So that Dechambeau is heading for number one is no surprise, and those are three who have also been number one in those years - apart from McIlroy. Which while he has had a few wins, shows that he has a problem not just with winning majors but with winning anything. Sorry its long to explain but I think theres some truth in that point.

Like thats a 471 yard hole. Almost a par 5 in old money. And hes just 98 yards for his second so fair play and all but that only a gentle pitch for him. So the longest par 4 isnt really a par 4 anymore. Its got to stop.

Did he even hit, or how many times, his 4-9 irons this week outside par trees ? Thats the real measure that a part of golf has become obsolete.

Which while he has had a few wins, shows that he has a problem not just with winning majors but with winning anything.

Not sure what it has to do with McIlroy but he has won more than any of those lads in last year. I'm confused as to what point you are trying to make with wins. McIlroy won 4 times in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭bren2001

Sorry lad, what I mean is that while McIlroy might be number one on the world rankings when you just look at simple wins on tour which is really the name of the game, then those are the four main men. So that Dechambeau is heading for number one is no surprise, and those are three who have also been number one in those years - apart from McIlroy. Which while he has had a few wins, shows that he has a problem not just with winning majors but with winning anything. Sorry its long to explain but I think theres some truth in that point.

Rory has 18 wins on the PGA tour which is the 3rd highest of active players behind Tiger (82) and DJ (21). He doesn't have a "few" wins. 4 majors wins indicates that he doesn't have an issue winning majors either.

Bryson has unbelievable talent and potential but winning the Rocket Mortgage Classic proves nothing. He's yet to win a major and we've seen better players take years to win their first or never win one. He's not world number 1 and nowhere close to it yet either. Lets see how long this streak lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

bren2001 wrote: »
    Bryson has unbelievable talent and potential but winning the Rocket Mortgage Classic proves nothing. He's yet to win a major and we've seen better players take years to win their first or never win one.

He hasn't even come close to contending in a major iirc. I doubt his bomb and gouge game will work at either of the opens and I'm not sure he's a good enough putter to contend regularly at Augusta. He could be a threat at the PGA though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Bizarre comment considering this is Bryson's first win in 18 months (McIlroy has won 4 times in that period), and his first PGA Tour win since 2018.

Some people get overly excited by hot streaks on here. It will be somebody else next week.

NDWC wrote: »
    He hasn't even come close to contending in a major iirc. I doubt his bomb and gouge game will work at either of the opens and I'm not sure he's a good enough putter to contend regularly at Augusta. He could be a threat at the PGA though I think.

Nothing wrong with his putting in fairness. May look strange but he ranked 2nd in putting this week and 20 or so on the season so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

NDWC wrote: »

His putting has been very impressive, one of the best over the last few weeks anyway. His approach play cost him in the previous tournaments.

• Advertisement

BoldReason wrote: »
    Not sure what it has to do with McIlroy but he has won more than any of those lads in last year. I'm confused as to what point you are trying to make with wins. McIlroy won 4 times in 2019.

He is obsessed with Rory....I think he is banned from that thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement