Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching remotely

Options
  • 13-04-2020 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

Is there a secure way to teach through video ?
    I have yet to find one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Is there a secure way to teach through video ?
    I have yet to find one.

Google meets for educators is currently the premium version included for free and you can stream while disabling the ability to record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

TheDriver wrote: »
    Google meets for educators is currently the premium version included for free and you can stream while disabling the ability to record.

Included in what for free?? Sorry I'm new to this.
    Is there a secure way for podcasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭KildareP

Secure in what sense?

Included in what for free?? Sorry I'm new to this.
    Is there a secure way for podcasts?

If your school has Google for schools which is free, it includes meets regular.
    Currently the premium version is included.
    Not sure about podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You can do video calls on Teams. As far as I know you can just have the call between the people in the team, so that might work. I'm not using it as I'm not doing live stuff.

• Advertisement

KildareP wrote: »
    Secure in what sense?

Secure in the sense that the video can not be recorded or manpulated!!!

Just tried it. Very confusing. Cant see where it says disable ability to record??
    I think I will try podcasts-if I can find a secure way there

Just tried it. Very confusing. Cant see where it says disable ability to record??
    I think I will try podcasts-if I can find a secure way there

Your school admin must set that setting from the admin panel

Not worth the effort. Think I will just record a few points on my phone and send the recording which unfoutunately is still open to being mainpulated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Secure in the sense that the video can not be recorded or manpulated!!!

Nothing is secure in that sense. I can record my screen and there isn't much you can do about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Not worth the effort. Think I will just record a few points on my phone and send the recording which unfoutunately is still open to being mainpulated

Can you voice over? That’s what I and most I know of are doing. PowerPoint or writing app and I audio (in music) or screen record (in maths) over it

To be honest I dont know what Im doing.At the best of time in the classroom half of them are tuned out. Unless I impose myself upon them ie force them to pay attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭combat14

I think screencasts are the way to go - they can watch the videos at their leisure as many times as they need

What are people scared of? Even if a student shared my videos, I don't think anyone would be interested except for the instruction aspect. Plus if someone really wants to record my voice, there's other opportunities. Seems a bit tin foil hat stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

What are people scared of? Even if a student shared my videos, I don't think anyone would be interested except for the instruction aspect. Plus if someone really wants to record my voice, there's other opportunities. Seems a bit tin foil hat stuff.

Yeah.... you dont want your face super imposed (to a high quality of detail) you enjoying a multi cultural gang bang.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yeah.... you dont want your face super imposed (to a high quality of detail) you enjoying a multi cultural gang bang.

This has happened in my former school and the fall out for the teachers involved was significant. Awful stuff.

I didn't realise people were starring in their lessons, mine are my hands and the page with me speaking. Why would your face need to be in it?

combat14 wrote: »
    I think screencasts are the way to go - they can watch the videos at their leisure as many times as they need

What is a screen cast ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

What is a screen cast ??

God Almighty - what is the NCTE doing and if nothing why are they all still employed and being funded?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What is a screen cast ??

Where when you a video call they can see what you are doing on your screen, bit like you using a data projector in the classroom only they'll see your screen on their laptop. You can also record a video of what is on your screen and then upload that for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

God Almighty - what is the NCTE doing and if nothing why are they all still employed and being funded?

NCTE was dissolved years ago, pdst technology has taken over its role.

I think for the moment I will send notes and emails.
    Getting the students to join goggle classroom was complicated enough.
    Then chasing those who didn't send work or engage was also quite laborious as I ended up having to text parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think for the moment I will send notes and emails.
    Getting the students to join goggle classroom was complicated enough.
    Then chasing those who didn't send work or engage was also quite laborious as I ended up having to text parents.

Google classroom should be very simple, they have a code and join. No engagement equals an email to student and parent and failing that, tutor or year head.
    How can you text parents? I assume not from your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

km79 wrote: »

How out of touch with reality. Though no td is actually quoted as asking for this, are they?

Google classroom should be very simple, they have a code and join. No engagement equals an email to student and parent and failing that, tutor or year head.
    How can you text parents? I assume not from your phone?

Have had to-to get them on board. We dont have parental emails. To be honest the same issues are there-indifferent students and parents. Im just covering my ass. The ridiculous idea that wwe should keep all students to 6th year has knock on consquences. Teachers health and wellbeing the sacrificial lamb. Six hours of counselling-all that is avialaBLE should set you right

I once listened to a person who made a video about drink driving being sampled in a video music entitled shut up and drive. I also had a colleague whose voice mail was widely used in a house party. I think you are naive to dismiss concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭combat14

are schools going to provide teachers with work laptops to facilitate continued remote teaching and learning? my 11 year old laptop is about to pack up lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I want to record Maths questions on the ipad. When I screen record with audio so I can explain as I go, the noise of the pencil as I write on the screen is just too loud. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

I want to record Maths questions on the ipad. When I screen record with audio so I can explain as I go, the noise of the pencil as I write on the screen is just too loud. Any suggestions?
    It might help you to use an external microphone. Do you have a hands-free kit or Bluetooth headphones?

Advertisement