Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best SUV/Crossover to buy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Make sure the clutch and flywheel feel normal and no rattling also gearbox selecting all gears with out grinding. No abnormal smoke etc. The rest is pretty standard. They're solid decent machines for what they are, it'd want to be cheap though especially since its front wheel drive.

Is it commercial?

It is, what price is cheap?

I don't see much value out there at the moment.

No commercial CRV's or RAV's for sale.

The 750 tax is too high to be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

farmer2018 wrote: »

2010 RAV car would be 390 or 510 euro. They were borderline emissions, so tested individually

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ya commercial crossover style vehicles are keeping their value.

Around 2k is enough to be paying 3k at the very most if its immaculate

Ya commercial crossover style vehicles are keeping their value.

Around 2k is enough to be paying 3k at the very most if its immaculate

Thanks, ya this looks immaculate and low mileage.

• Advertisement

Any other good options out there for commercial SUV's?

Any other good options out there for commercial SUV's?

Not really for your budget. Lots of newer or older options but around that 2008-2010 period sub 5k options are pretty limited.

If you don't need 4wd then a mid sized van would be every bit as good as a fwd crossover.

2.0hdi peugeot expert from that era has a towing capacity of 2000kg.

Not really for your budget. Lots of newer or older options but around that 2008-2010 period sub 5k options are pretty limited.

If you don't need 4wd then a mid sized van would be every bit as good as a fwd crossover.

2.0hdi peugeot expert from that era has a towing capacity of 2000kg.

Thanks selectamatic for the help, I was thinking one mid sized van too, the dispatch are the same?

Thanks selectamatic for the help, I was thinking one mid sized van too, the dispatch are the same?

Ya same thing. Fiat scudo too.

2WD 2L duesel Kuga's and 2.2L D Ravs are also legal to tie 2 ton without the 4WD

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

2WD 2L duesel Kuga's and 2.2L D Ravs are also legal to tie 2 ton without the 4WD

Ya but the prices of them suvs are in a different ball park money wise compared the vans mentioned above.

Ya same thing. Fiat scudo too.

Are you fimilar with these engines?

Are you fimilar with these engines?

2.0 hdi psa unit generally reliable and decent on diesel 136bhp one is the most common one ya see for sale in the 08-10 years. They're better/more reliable than the 1.6hdi of that era.

As with buying any 10 year old vehicle that would be mainly used for work a full service history would be important.

2.0 hdi psa unit generally reliable and decent on diesel 136bhp one is the most common one ya see for sale in the 08-10 years. They're better/more reliable than the 1.6hdi of that era.

As with buying any 10 year old vehicle that would be mainly used for work a full service history would be important.

I have come across a 2010 2.0 one with clutch and flywheel done recently and low enough miles.

I have come across a 2010 2.0 one with clutch and flywheel done recently and low enough miles.

Any common faults with these vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

I've a seat ateca 4wd and I'm very happy with it. It does a lot of rough driving on bad roads and it's well able for it. I've often taken 2 big cows (800kg) in the cattle box and no problem pulling it. Mine is diesel and its cheaper to run than my previous car, a diesel skoda octivia

Seat cars don't seem to be as well known as the kuga, rav etc. But I wouldn't swap it for any mid sized suv on the market

What would people recommend nowadays 2015-2018 in a SUV? Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, Ford, Honda?

The RAV nearly let me down yesterday. It a place I am not too familiar with yet. The road in needs to be scraped. We have a few cattle.on the place and I was traveling it fairly easy previously.

Went in so far along the road and decided to go off road to get nearer where I wanted to go. Got stuck going up the hill and could not reverse out. But I detoured around and got back onto the road.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭queueeye

Have you decent tyres on it? All the power in the world is useless unless you’ve got traction.

It's on the road most of the time so standard road tyres. I found about 25k km on it every year(82k miles in five years). When it gets mucky its nearly immaterial what tyres you have in it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I wouldn't agree there Bass about the tyres being immaterial. I do about 20000km a year in a pickup and I wouldn't be without a set of all terrains even though 85% of the time I'm on tarred roads. There's no comparison between an ordinary pattern car type tyre and an all terrain one and I'm speaking from experience.

I bought a Ford Ranger with road tyres on it and it would spin going along the road if you hit a puddle, was useless on lane ways and would need 4wd engaged if the going was anyway off road. A set of BF Goodrich all terrains later and it was like a different jeep. I didn't see any difference in fuel consumption or road noise but it would go in 2wd where it struggled in 4wd previously and it was like it was welded to the road compared to before. They wore like steel too and had ample thread left when I sold it 2 years after.

I brought an Isuzu Dmax to replace it, again with road tyres and got caught out the first week with a load of cattle on a grassy lane way that I'd reversed down to a pen to load them. I had to let the cattle off again and still failed to pull the empty trailer out of it, eventually the jeep spun its way to the top of it without the cattle or the trailer. To say I was vexed was an understatement and I went home for the Ranger which was sitting washed on the street awaiting a new home. It ploughed up the lane without a bother with trailer and cattle behind. I was careful where I went with the Dmax until the tyres were wore and got a set of all terrains at the first opportunity (BF Goodrich weren't available in 17s so I can't remember what we put on but there doing the business). Again it was a different jeep when the tyres went on it. As another poster said above it doesn't matter what power is under the bonnet if you can't get it in constant contact with the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

This is an odd one but ive had a 4x4 dacia duster over the weekend that the lads in work use to attend faults on telecoms sites.

Its a dinger, the lads in work reckon theyll go where landcruisers wont. Possibly because theiyre so light?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

the first gen duster was a dog. But the recent 3rd gen is a nice motor. I’d have one for sure in the awd.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I wouldn’t believe that, a proper 4x4 like landcrusier, ranger etc will eat any of the jacked up cars for breakfast even if they have 4wd it won’t be a proper system with low range, locking diffs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Can only tell you what the field engineers say. It has a 2wd, 4wd & diff lock setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If you get up to 50km/hr it'll automatically switch off. But that'd only realistically be at that speed on the road. There's an automatic function of 4wd between 2wd and 4wd lock too.

For the craic look up 4wd Dusters on youtube.

Only problem is they are a 1.5L so towing capacity would better issue. You be surprised where those small 4wd will go. When I was on Fraiser Island nearly 6 years ago now I saw a good few RAV's but there was a Suzuki Jimmey doing it as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It was the kei Suzuki Carry that put me onto the Duster. I was going to look at a new Jimny. But the online comparisons Youtube etc, would put the jimny up against a Duster. The Duster was reported more comfortable to drive than a Jimny on road and the online reliability records had the Duster scoring very high and I saved a bit by buying the Duster over a Jimny.

A light thing with good ground clearance, decent tyres and AWD will skip through scuttery conditions whereas a proper yoke will have to plough through. Lightness makes a huge difference and nearly as good as makes up for the lack of low range and diff locks.

It's when you add a load like a trailer to the mix that the failings of light duty awd's come to the fore. And the proper machines keep on ploughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭older by the day

I don't know. I had a suzuki vitara 4wd as a field car, around the yard for a couple of years. Till I bolloxed the engine. She was the best yoke ever in the field. Never got stuck in any places, i have a hilux now (I needed the seats) which replaced an old 3l land cruiser and they would not compare to her.

Advertisement