Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best SUV/Crossover to buy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

farmer2018 wrote: »
    Is there any of the higher towing capacity 4x4s achieving up in 40mpg normal driving?

Not in older Jeeps anyway. Some may go to 2.2T but that it. After that fuel economy falls through the floor.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

2010 RAV's are not cheap, looking at 7k plus.

2010 RAV's are not cheap, looking at 7k plus.

Bought one last May 3010 108k miles 390 tax 2.2L, English import with service history and huge spec for 7K. Any of the SUV/crossover's are in that price bracket

You will but a VW Toureg a bit cheaper but it seems they give a few problems

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭selectamatic

You'll get near the 40mpg mark with a 2.0d-id Mitsubishi outlander. It's a vw 2.0tdi engine most likely the same or similar to a tiguan.

Outlanders are cheap to buy at the moment as well. 710 on the old tax system and 750 on emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Bought one last May 3010 108k miles 390 tax 2.2L, English import with service history and huge spec for 7K. Any of the SUV/crossover's are in that price bracket

You will but a VW Toureg a bit cheaper but it seems they give a few problems

A Mechanic friend of mine has a very bad name on all VWs.
    According to him they give a lot of problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Duckpluck

What is the best suv/crossover to buy for mainly for personal use and light amount of towing? No car suggestions please. Budget 3000-5000. Looking for something newer than 2008 preferably.

If you could get your hands on an all wheel drive Kia Sorento 2.2l. I’ve had one for years, has 7 seats (2 foldaway small ones at rear) and pull horse box no problem.

Duckpluck wrote: »
    If you could get your hands on an all wheel drive Kia Sorento 2.2l. I’ve had one for years, has 7 seats (2 foldaway small ones at rear) and pull horse box no problem.

I think the mog if the Sorrento's is mid 30's. Its a Hobson's choice, under 4k older jerp with higher tax. Most pre 2010 Jeeps capable of towing 2ton have tax up at 700/year or above. The exception is the first of the Kuga's but a clean example will cost around 5k for 2008 model. Again. It not quite as reliable as a RAV
    , CRV or Vitara. Tax on Kuga is still 520 think.

You will buy clean RAV 2008 for 3kish if you really look and 750 car tax.

Slava Ukrainii

Are the automatics any good?

What are the subaru foresters like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Would you venture off road

Are the automatics any good?

What are the subaru foresters like?

Stay away from a diesel Subaru they're a ticking timebomb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Bazzer007

Subaru rectified the crankshaft issues in the new model diesel from late 2013 onward. One to buy in years to come. I wouldn't buy an older model. Petrols are bullet proof.

People's thoughts on the Landrover Freelanders?

People's thoughts on the Landrover Freelanders?

There's a reason they are cheap

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi All. If a commercial jeep is priced at €11k plus VAT do you have to pay the full rate? in this case it would be 11 plus 23% vat = €13.5k or could you buy straight with a bank draft for €11k? i dont want to ring the dealer and confirm my stupidity!!! so i am trying to get some advice here first

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hi All. If a commercial jeep is priced at €11k plus VAT do you have to pay the full rate? in this case it would be 11 plus 23% vat = €13.5k or could you buy straight with a bank draft for €11k? i dont want to ring the dealer and confirm my stupidity!!! so i am trying to get some advice here first

You have to pay the full price. If you are vat registered you can claim the vat back. Passenger small jeeps can be as cheap as commercials as often there is little difference in road tax and and it an NCT rather than a CVRT

Slava Ukrainii

I am looking at possibly Hyundai IX35s and Toyota Rav4 under the €5500 budget 2008 plus. I would buy a passenger if the tax isn't too high. Any other recommendations?

I am looking at possibly Hyundai IX35s and Toyota Rav4 under the €5500 budget 2008 plus. I would buy a passenger if the tax isn't too high. Any other recommendations?

IX35 has a very low towing capacity. RAV 4 generally has to be 2.2L for 2ton towing capacity

Slava Ukrainii

No point buying anything at the minute. Prices will surely fall a good bit over the coming months so more options should come into budget.

A clean 2.0tdci 4wd kuga would be where I'd be heading.

Plenty of cheap 2 seat commercials about.
    From about 2012/13 onwards a 4 seater commercial is available.

Private passenger ones dropped from €570 tax to €390 from about 2012/13 onwards too.

No point buying anything at the minute. Prices will surely fall a good bit over the coming months so more options should come into budget.

A clean 2.0tdci 4wd kuga would be where I'd be heading.

Plenty of cheap 2 seat commercials about.
    From about 2012/13 onwards a 4 seater commercial is available.

Private passenger ones dropped from €570 tax to €390 from about 2012/13 onwards too.

Good point, the same with a majority of items being sold, there will be good value to be got.

Thoughts on 2010 2l diesel Tucson?

• Advertisement

are you sure it's a tuscon? 2010 was the first year of the ix35.

08 and 09 mk1 diesel tuscons are €750 to tax privately.

Their decent yokes but the towing weight is only 1600kg on the 4wd ones and a bit less on the 2wd.

Tucsons or IX35's had mostly poor towing ability. They had the Santa Fe as well and that was where it was targeted

Slava Ukrainii

Yes it's the 2010 2wd version Tucson. The likes of a diesel 2.0 car would have more towing capacity?

Around 1600kg towing capacity.

Sure a 8x4 cow box with a cow 600kg wouldn't be that weight?

Yes it's the 2010 2wd version Tucson. The likes of a diesel 2.0 car would have more towing capacity?

No a single cow orr bullock in a box would not be however an 8X4 box and two animals or 4-5 weanlings would be above that. You will get away with a single animal in the box. TBH it unlikly you would be stopped with a small box behind it anyway.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Been towing with a 8ft livestock box and old 2.0 diesal german saloon car here for a few years with out issue. Load about 800kg of livestock into trailer without any strain on the car, that's rated up to 1.8 tonne. Next time around I'll probably go for a skoda superb, they have a 2.0 tonne towing capacity. My car does 45-50mpg solo and 30mpg with fully loaded trailer behind, so cannt complain about that either, just be sensible not to overload. Wouldn't mind a SUV, but because their in fashion, think you can get more value in a saloon or estate car.

Been towing with a 8ft livestock box and old 2.0 diesal german saloon car here for a few years with out issue. Load about 800kg of livestock into trailer without any strain on the car, that's rated up to 1.8 tonne. Next time around I'll probably go for a skoda superb, they have a 2.0 tonne towing capacity. My car does 45-50mpg solo and 30mpg with fully loaded trailer behind, so cannt complain about that either, just be sensible not to overload. Wouldn't mind a SUV, but because their in fashion, think you can get more value in a saloon or estate car.

Ya I was looking at a superb too, nice cars. I just want something abit high up!

Anything to look out for in 2010 Tucsons? I will only be towing a small cow box the odd time so will be ideal.

Anything to look out for in 2010 Tucsons? I will only be towing a small cow box the odd time so will be ideal.

A dog running across the road, sorry could not resist that. Not really familar with them but Hyundai's have a fairly good rep. What kind of money is it.

Slava Ukrainii

Make sure the clutch and flywheel feel normal and no rattling also gearbox selecting all gears with out grinding. No abnormal smoke etc. The rest is pretty standard. They're solid decent machines for what they are, it'd want to be cheap though especially since its front wheel drive.

Is it commercial?

• Advertisement

A dog running across the road, sorry could not resist that. Not really familar with them but Hyundai's have a fairly good rep. What kind of money is it.

:D

Advertisement