Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just how far could you get with dumbbells?

Options
  • 05-07-2020 10:06pm

I've always gone to the gym but progressive overload wasnt really a thing that I applied (namely due to lack of knowledge of how to do it). But since March with gyms being closed I had a pair of spin locks that go up to 25kg each arm and have learned finally how to apply these principles properly. With not having to commute it's been easier to stay consistent and I'm starting to see some small results that I'm delighted with.

I've ordered more plates for the dumbbells and with gyms near me not opening for a while, is it feasible to keep progressing for the foreseeable future with a dumbbell only split or will there be a tipping point where machines and barbells will be necessary for further progress?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Kalico92 wrote: »
    will there be a tipping point where machines and barbells will be necessary for further progress?

If you just stick with the 25kg dumbbells then you will eventually reach a point where it will be hard to progressively overload, particularly for lower body muscle groups.

If you plan on sticking with the home gym route, a good quality barbell would be a great investment. Additionally you'd want to get some plates and collars, and eventually a rack. Goes without saying that you'd also want to take the time to learn safe and efficient form on squats, deadlifts, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I've always gone to the gym but progressive overload wasnt really a thing that I applied (namely due to lack of knowledge of how to do it). But since March with gyms being closed I had a pair of spin locks that go up to 25kg each arm and have learned finally how to apply these principles properly. With not having to commute it's been easier to stay consistent and I'm starting to see some small results that I'm delighted with.

I've ordered more plates for the dumbbells and with gyms near me not opening for a while, is it feasible to keep progressing for the foreseeable future with a dumbbell only split or will there be a tipping point where machines and barbells will be necessary for further progress?

The 25kg is going to be a limiting factor. There will come a time where you'd just be getting diminishing returns for what you do with the 25s as it would be just ever increasing volume. Granted, you can introduce tempo and pausing but you outgrow it at a point.

If you could keep increasing the size of the dumbbells, the limiting factor might end up being getting the dumbbells in place to start pressing

Fundamentally, just pressing with dumbbells as opposed to with a barbell isn't inferior of you just want to get stronger. You can move more weight with a barbell because of additional stability of both sides working in unison. But that doesn't mean it's necessarily better for just getting stronger.

The bigger issue is how heavy can you get those dumbbells and how much longer can you get out of them. But the same would apply if you have a barbell and limited plates.

Machines aren't necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Some gym rings would give you lots of options for chest, triceps, back, biceps and core.

About £30

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In theory it's possible. But they'd have to be a lot heavier than 25kg. 40-50kg for upper body.
    Cill94 wrote: »
    ... where it will be hard to progressively overload, particularly for lower body muscle groups.
    Agreed, 2 x 25kg would be maxed out on legs very quickly.

Thanks a million for all the input folks, UK based at the moment and gyms don't look like reopening just yet with a safe plan that isn't going to leave them very limiting as an option in terms of capacity.

I've ordered more plates that should do me a while until it's safe to go back. Unfortunately living in a flat limits the options in terms of what equipment we can store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks a million for all the input folks, UK based at the moment and gyms don't look like reopening just yet with a safe plan that isn't going to leave them very limiting as an option in terms of capacity.

I've ordered more plates that should do me a while until it's safe to go back. Unfortunately living in a flat limits the options in terms of what equipment we can store.

Then don't be too concerned with how far you can go considering the limitations. Just try get the most out of what you have. If you're just trying to get as much out of what you have in the time before you can go back to a gym, then bring in elements like pauses and tempo work.

Advertisement