Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to build an electric cafe racer how do I register it?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Deffo...buy an english bike...convert it and go back over with it....probably easier and cheaper in the long run....maybe start selling them...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭goblin59

I've a friend in Northern Ireland doing a custom build at the moment.
    definitely easier to do.

Given Brexit, it might not be the easier route after the next year.
    Also if you're not resident in the UK they may not want to deal with you.
    I had a headache dealing with the DVLA before, they didn't want to talk to me as i wasn't in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

goblin59 wrote: »
    I've a friend in Northern Ireland doing a custom build at the moment.
    definitely easier to do.

Given Brexit, it might not be the easier route after the next year.
    Also if you're not resident in the UK they may not want to deal with you.
    I had a headache dealing with the DVLA before, they didn't want to talk to me as i wasn't in the UK.
    We're foreigners now...........:D

We're foreigners now...........:D

haha be glad of it xD imagine needing a visa permit and vehicle green card for each country in the EU when doing trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jamie_m_ward

yeah exactly, still tho there should be some test for us to do yeno so if what we build is genuinely good and safe , that we can ride it

• Advertisement

hahah stop man , its genuinely so difficult to get anything done with them

yeah they arent afraid to help you find the information (unlike others). I mean I see no problem with it as long as you go trough a stringent test to assure safety

imagine ahah doing a hobby project and end up start selling motorbikes

yeah I think ive come up with the idea a bit too late :(

hahahahha :)

• Advertisement

haha be glad of it xD imagine needing a visa permit and vehicle green card for each country in the EU when doing trips.

hahahahha

I am genuinely surprised at all the interest in this and the great discussions ive had so far , Thanks guys...........who knows what will come in the future..........How Cheeky would it be to try fund a medium production motorcycle :P Gofund me anyone??? ahahha jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

I am genuinely surprised at all the interest in this and the great discussions ive had so far , Thanks guys...........who knows what will come in the future..........How Cheeky would it be to try fund a medium production motorcycle :P Gofund me anyone??? ahahha jokes

Get a prototype up and running ( prior to type approval) and you could be amazed, I’d be interested anyway.

well with how well this thread has gone I sure am supprised, I might go into solidworks and work on a design and keep you up to date

well with how well this thread has gone I sure am supprised, I might go into solidworks and work on a design and keep you up to date

if you need a hand let me know.
    I'd definitly recommend looking at super Soco motorcycles.
    I imagine they would be the closest to what you are after.

They have some in megabikes

if you need a hand let me know.
    I'd definitly recommend looking at super Soco motorcycles.
    I imagine they would be the closest to what you are after.

They have some in megabikes

cheers man , Ive seen them online a bit, not sure what I dont like about them they have bit too much going on. Maybe there isnt enough room to make something new and unique? I love the more minimalist cafe racer look its more sleek, Id market it as a daily commuter get you from a - b reliably . What would be some ideas you would have?

cheers man , Ive seen them online a bit, not sure what I dont like about them they have bit too much going on. Maybe there isnt enough room to make something new and unique? I love the more minimalist cafe racer look its more sleek, Id market it as a daily commuter get you from a - b reliably . What would be some ideas you would have?

Too much going on in the super soco, is this in terms of functionality or design.

The way I would approach it is design your drive train function first.

So you would need to know how you are driving the rear wheel.
    Are you direct drive.
    Chain / Band
    Shaft driven.

each have their advantages and disadvantages and will impact on freedom of chassis design.

I would personally avoid direct mounted and would use the chain drive, mainly due to the wide variation of parts available and donor frames.

Once you get there you would need to prototype the rear swing arm to work out any issues that come out of the motor / batteries you plan to use to make sure that it has the torque and speed to turn the wheel.

How are you planning on charging this bike as well, as you will have to design that as well. to make sure the batteries are kept balanced and don't short out.
    You will likely need a balance charging circuit designed for the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cant see why i cant be legal...its basically an electric bicycle..are there limits to the capacity from being a bicycle to a motorcycle.....:confused:

To not need insurance, tax, licence and helmet the bicycle needs to be less than be pedal assisted, so if you stop pedaling the motor doesn't run, can't assist you above 25kph and can't exceed IIRC 250W.

I'd be checking if it's possible to register a Q plated UK vehicle here before doing more work on the bike.

Too much going on in the super soco, is this in terms of functionality or design.

The way I would approach it is design your drive train function first.

So you would need to know how you are driving the rear wheel.
    Are you direct drive.
    Chain / Band
    Shaft driven.

each have their advantages and disadvantages and will impact on freedom of chassis design.

I would personally avoid direct mounted and would use the chain drive, mainly due to the wide variation of parts available and donor frames.

Once you get there you would need to prototype the rear swing arm to work out any issues that come out of the motor / batteries you plan to use to make sure that it has the torque and speed to turn the wheel.

How are you planning on charging this bike as well, as you will have to design that as well. to make sure the batteries are kept balanced and don't short out.
    You will likely need a balance charging circuit designed for the bike.

I meant in terms of aesthetic design, I dont find it appealing. In terms of how it would be driven I was first looking at hub motors, but realising their limitations and cost I think chain driven would be the go do, as you mentioned more availability of parts, as well as it is more modular in terms of gear ratios, its easier to change out.

Del2005 wrote: »
    To not need insurance, tax, licence and helmet the bicycle needs to be less than be pedal assisted, so if you stop pedaling the motor doesn't run, can't assist you above 25kph and can't exceed IIRC 250W.

I'd be checking if it's possible to register a Q plated UK vehicle here before doing more work on the bike.

Yeah that was one of the first things i came across when researching

• Advertisement
Advertisement