Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike to scooter

Options
  • 23-06-2020 7:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

I'm doing it. Goodbye GSR750 and hello Yamaha xmax 300

It's got a comfy seat and I can store 'stuff' under it, heaps in fact. Was really surprised and sitting down on the bike wasn't as weird as I thought it would be. It's got a little pocket thing with a 12v charger, it's got wind protection which I haven't had in years as the GSR is nekkid. Twist n go, who needs to worry about gears! It doesn't look completely stupid and during the test ride was nice and flickable and had a decent bit of go in it and still gets great mileage.

I'm strangely excited by the prospect of just toddling along and enjoying the ride on something easier going.

Anyone else made the change from big to small because whenever you see motorbike talk it normally seems to be about increasing the cc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Is the majority of your riding commuting??

If so a scooter makes great sense.. a 3 to 500km trip on one is pretty bleak. The 14 or 15inch wheels are bleak.
    They're practical like a people carrier but its all horses for courses.

I wouldn't fancy the roads of west cork on one compared to a ktm 1290 adv or the like.

If its booting around the city theyre ok too.. could always look at a dct bike??

Riding a scooter is linked with riding a fat girl. Great fun til your friends find out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I added a scooter to the fold: great purchase.

The SO sold her 800cc GS, and is getting a 300 scooter - we had a loan of one for a weekend: highly recommended. Can barrel along at 120 on the M6, which would be rare, so why not ?

Sometimes indeed, Less is More.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

hedzball wrote: »
    Is the majority of your riding commuting??

If so a scooter makes great sense.. a 3 to 500km trip on one is pretty bleak. The 14 or 15inch wheels are bleak.
    They're practical like a people carrier but its all horses for courses.

I wouldn't fancy the roads of west cork on one compared to a ktm 1290 adv or the like.

If its booting around the city theyre ok too.. could always look at a dct bike??

Riding a scooter is linked with riding a fat girl. Great fun til your friends find out!!

I live in QLD Australia and commuting is the reason.. 16km each way. I find I don't go for rides on twisties nor ride particularly fast any more.... I think I like the comfy seated position of the scoot instead. I could potentially see myself doing a small bit of short hop touring on this and I might even get the missus to take a test ride. The GSR always intimidated her so I'm hope this will be more her thing.

Have gone from sports bikes to scooters then on to a CB500X.

Did find my X-Max 250 great for city commuting, and the weather protection and storage were a bonus. I didn't find the sitting position comfortable for any more than a short journey, though. I found I used to round my back due to the feet-forward position. I don't have any issues with that on my CB.

Would happily go back to a scooter, but like having the option to go further afield if I feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

Burgman 400 scooter.
    155 top speed. Easy on the juice.
    Loads of storage space.
    Comfy as fcuk too.
    Oh and great craic aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Get one, but don't expect any of us to nod when you pass by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

You can store your balls under the seat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

They're great if you like feeling the wind on your vagina.

I allready have 1.
    Great craic on it,when not on the S1000rr.
    Surprised how fast it is for a 400.
    517560.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

D3V!L wrote: »
    They're great if you like feeling the wind on your vagina.

TheW1zard wrote: »

tenor.gif

• Advertisement

TheW1zard wrote: »

Which is exactly why I needed such large storage space!

Cracker of a reply.......:D.....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Pity you have to remove them to get them in there!:pac::cool:

Picked the scooter up today and I'm in love with it. Should have made this change sooner I reckon. It's comfy, practical and just.... easy. It's perfectly fast enough for what I need even without thrashing the engine as it's brand new. The speedo isn't in my peripheral vision and without even feeling it is tipping along at 70kph whenever I glanced and got there quickly. The suspension and smaller wheels do transmit more of the bumps but nothing terrible. Definitely happy I made the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fireblade77

Congrats on the new scoot, they are totally undiscovered here, Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Comfy, luggage space, economical

Just get a Nissan...
    Vroom vroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Picked the scooter up today and I'm in love with it. Should have made this change sooner I reckon. It's comfy, practical and just.... easy. It's perfectly fast enough for what I need even without thrashing the engine as it's brand new. The speedo isn't in my peripheral vision and without even feeling it is tipping along at 70kph whenever I glanced and got there quickly. The suspension and smaller wheels do transmit more of the bumps but nothing terrible. Definitely happy I made the change.

Any pics, Canis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I had a Vespa PX200E for ten years and loved it. The minute I sold it I knew I'd regret it, and I've regretted it since.

I'm on a BMW R1200GS now which is way over kill for me these days and have toyed around with getting a scooter too, I love them.

Then twice last year I was in London, and a few times around Europe, where everyone is on scooters. This made me question why they've never caught on here.

The Xmax & Tmax range of scooters are pricey but they're super practical and possible to live with very long term.

Put up a photo sometime, and btw I've almost went with a Vespa GTS300 recently. I test rode one and loved the bloody thing.

Yesterday was rainy so took it for a spin today so I could get a better pic. Only marginal gripe I have with it is you have to cover a brake when at the lights even with a tiny incline whereas with a motorbike you apply the footbrake and can have a bit of a stretch. Otherwise took it for an hour spin today and can't fault it. Stopped at the off licence on the way home and 2 5 litre casks of wine comfortably under my bum. Couldn't do that on the GSR.

518163.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

She's a little cracker, best of luck with it.

As a few have said, they make so much sense.

• Advertisement

Finally secured a Vespa GTS in the UK today - well, I think I have anyway ! - so ours should be landing in a few weeks time.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Finally secured a Vespa GTS in the UK today - well, I think I have anyway ! - so ours should be landing in a few weeks time.

Update: Ted's Trucking booked, all set to go.

Curiously, Ted tells me that with the drop in Sterling recently Irish people have gone on a spree, and he can't collect for at least a week (which is fine by me btw), and I think he said they'd done 6 UK runs in a week ? That's 24 bikes - that's a lot of buying by people.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

518163.jpg

Much saving in the UK Canis? I see it's €6750 here before haggling.

Fab scoot.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Much saving in the UK Canis? I see it's €6750 here before haggling.

Fab scoot.

I live in Australia and the list price over here is $8,500 ride away without haggling which seems a lot less than what you've to pay for one although I guess it's manufactured in Indonesia so a bit closer from a shipping perspective?

I don't regret my decision to swap at all so far although being brand new breaking in the engine and trying to not let it go over 4500rpm too much is annoying but shouldn't take too long to get through the first 1000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Scooter are great, particularly for city commutes.

There will always be people who see scooters in a negative light, and will try and criticise anyone who has one.
    In my opinion, this is because they don’t understand the practicality of a scooter.

P.C. wrote: »
    Scooter are great, particularly for city commutes.

There will always be people who see scooters in a negative light, and will try and criticise anyone who has one.
    In my opinion, this is because they don’t understand the practicality of a scooter.

I'm now invisible to motorbikers but all the uber eats peeps on 50 and 125cc scooters are giving me the envious eyes.

Be prepared to now be ignored by other bikers when you nod at them on your scooter.

This is then solved by flipping them the bird/giving the 1 fingered salute as you go past......lol.

so, it arrived Wed :) - the SO's new scoot - changed from an 800cc GS

520178.png

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

galwaytt wrote: »
    so, it arrived Wed :) - the SO's new scoot - changed from an 800cc GS

520178.png

Sorry don't get it. When you're used to power and go anywhere ability. If you turn onto an open road in a head wind and you open the throttle and wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry don't get it. When you're used to power and go anywhere ability. If you turn onto an open road in a head wind and you open the throttle and wait.

Have you considered.... They didnt need the power and go anywhere ability....

Life changes...

Advertisement