Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike to scooter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sorry don't get it. When you're used to power and go anywhere ability. If you turn onto an open road in a head wind and you open the throttle and wait.

You've never driven one I'm going to assume, then................ ??

Go anywhere ? You mean Lidl instead of Aldi ? Penney's instead of Dunnes ?

We borrowed one of these twice for going to rallies last year, and on foot of the much better experience she had, the GS got the bullet. Never drove the GS past 120kph anyway.

That's the way with most bikes, they're bought for the exception, not the rule. This time we turned it around.

I had a spin on friends span new GS1250 on Wednesday - it's astonishing. And fabulous. It's also bloody huge. Turning it on gravel gave me palpitations. It will never leave tarmac. Technically, any bike would do the job then.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

listermint wrote: »
    Have you considered.... They didnt need the power and go anywhere ability....

Life changes...

Is that not why they make Harleys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I wont hear anyone bad mouth Harleys !! :mad:

Mine looked great sitting in my garage all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭H_Lime

D3V!L wrote: »

Ya can't beat a gs for reliability tho! :)
    1200px-1997-Suzuki-GS500-E-001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

galwaytt wrote: »
    so, it arrived Wed :) - the SO's new scoot - changed from an 800cc GS

520178.png

Is that the 300?
    Looks good, and the screen and carrier are good additions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

Shame i couldn't get this lot under the seat of my S1000rr.....:pac:

But the trusty aul Burgman came to the rescue again.
    Nice blast back down the M1 too at above "motorway speeds"........while also beating all the traffic.

520218.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

As a friend of mine said, "it doesn't matter what ya ride, as long as you're ridin'!"

I think he meant bikes.

P.C. wrote: »
    Is that the 300?
    Looks good, and the screen and carrier are good additions.

Close, it's a 250. 300's are stupid money, and quality isn't all it's cracked up to be on the latest ones.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

that's a rumour. In fact H-D's are support vehicles for broken down GS riders :)
    D3V!L wrote: »

I'm with you on that one :)
    H_Lime wrote: »
    Ya can't beat a gs for reliability tho! :)
    1200px-1997-Suzuki-GS500-E-001.jpg

Nowt wrong with a GS.

But 55k on my FLHRSI now and it hasn't missed a beat yet. That said, I think rear shocks could do with some tlc at this stage.

Ode To The Motorist

Shame i couldn't get this lot under the seat of my S1000rr.....:pac:

But the trusty aul Burgman came to the rescue again.
    Nice blast back down the M1 too at above "motorway speeds"........while also beating all the traffic.

520218.jpg

That excelsior is refreshing and full of flavour. It's got what bikers crave.

• Advertisement

that's a rumour. In fact H-D's are support vehicles for broken down GS riders :)

I'm with you on that one :)

Nowt wrong with a GS.

But 55k on my FLHRSI now and it hasn't missed a beat yet. That said, I think rear shocks could do with some tlc at this stage.
    Ricor some some cool suspension for Harleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

so, it arrived Wed :) - the SO's new scoot - changed from an 800cc GS

520178.png
    That's lovely! Big call changing from the GS, hope it goes well.

I'm considering a scooter myself at the minute, live in a massive city so it's what makes sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Sorry don't get it. When you're used to power and go anywhere ability. If you turn onto an open road in a head wind and you open the throttle and wait.

Can't say I've noticed the lack of power too much so far and that's being limited mostly to 4.5k rpms whilst I break in the engine. I was riding home the other day and some yammy 750 kept blapping away from each red light only for me to potter up as he was stopped at the next one for literally 10km and I realised that was me on my 750 as well. As I approach 40 I find I'm in lycra more these days anyway than motorcycle gear so stepping down to something more 'useful' and economical made sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Can't say I've noticed the lack of power too much so far and that's being limited mostly to 4.5k rpms whilst I break in the engine. I was riding home the other day and some yammy 750 kept blapping away from each red light only for me to potter up as he was stopped at the next one for literally 10km and I realised that was me on my 750 as well. As I approach 40 I find I'm in lycra more these days anyway than motorcycle gear so stepping down to something more 'useful' and economical made sense.

Well if it makes you happy...

Although you'll have to be more wary of the dreaded 'Punishment pass'🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fair play OP, was on a scooter myself for a few years when living city centre. Always liked the ability to store the helmet under the seat rather than walking around town with it on my arm. If I was back living in the city and only commuting around Id consider going back to them too.

Advertisement