Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sorry if I gave a bum steer on the Lyric annual budget earlier.
    I said it was €6m.
    I have checked again and it seems it is €6.6m.
    Both theses recent links quote that figure.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/478463/government-urged-to-intervene-to-ensure-future-of-rte-lyric-fm-in-limerick.html
    https://journalofmusic.com/focus/lyric-fm-needs-new-vision-not-more-cuts

I was out and about listening to FM radio this afternoon.
    No charge at point of use.
    No contract.
    No expensive equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

easypazz wrote: »
    What % of those rely on lyric?

Maybe keep an extra garda station open here and there instead?

are they the only options?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

elperello wrote: »
    Sorry if I gave a bum steer on the Lyric annual budget earlier.
    I said it was €6m.
    I have checked again and it seems it is €6.6m.
    Both theses recent links quote that figure.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/478463/government-urged-to-intervene-to-ensure-future-of-rte-lyric-fm-in-limerick.html
    https://journalofmusic.com/focus/lyric-fm-needs-new-vision-not-more-cuts

I was out and about listening to FM radio this afternoon.
    No charge at point of use.
    No contract.
    No expensive equipment.

Apart from a radio and the TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

of course it is subsidised. it is public service broadcasting. public service broadcasting does not exist to make mony.

This is true. However, it does not accord free rein to waste money either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Apart from a radio and the TV licence.

Well yes you do need a radio to listen to radio stations.
    On the other hand you don't need a licence of any description.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just thinking about this earlier - can it be legal for the government to introduce a device independent broadcasting charge to pay to a semi state body that has commercial interests?
    Surely there is some European competition law that comes in to play here? Under that law the government cannot do anything that may be detrimental to private companies in the way of sponsorship or funding - the BB fiasco would be an example of how they have to tread lightly

Whether you are able to consume RTE's services or not you will be obliged to pay a "tax" for something you don't use

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

fritzelly wrote: »
    Just thinking about this earlier - can it be legal for the government to introduce a device independent broadcasting charge to pay to a semi state body that has commercial interests?
    Surely there is some European competition law that comes in to play here? Under that law the government cannot do anything that may be detrimental to private companies in the way of sponsorship or funding - the BB fiasco would be an example of how they have to tread lightly

by the looks of it there is no european competition law that comes in to play here, otherwise that would have come to light and been dealt with by now. + ireland isn't the only european country which has a charge for a tv licence, who's revenue goes to the state broadcaster.
    also, the private companies here are doing well so nothing is being done that is detrimental to them by having a tv license charge and giving that money to rte to provide programming which isn't served by the commercial sector in ireland.
    Whether you are able to consume RTE's services or not you will be obliged to pay a "tax" for something you don't use

that's no different to any other public service. we all pay taxes which go to things which we ourselves don't use.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

We pay taxes into a general fund that pays for public services for the benefit of all if they need it, I don't use child care but pay towards it - it's not the same as paying a semi commercial business. Giving money to RTE is only funding overpaid "stars" - that's not how the general tax fund works - a very good reason why pay scales in RTE should be quantified by those of the civil service. You can't have it both ways

Quick gander thru those still charging a licence fee within Europe - the closest to Ireland is Italy and a political party is intending to abolish it - they have a multitude of terrestrial channels to choose from
    The next closest is Germany which funds multiple stations/regional output - and again a multitude of terrestrial channels
    UK - ad free channels from the Beeb and again a multitude of terrestrial channels

Ireland - a few terrestrial channels that RTE want everyone to pay them for

We pay taxes into a general fund that pays for public services for the benefit of all if they need it, I don't use child care but pay towards it - it's not the same as paying a semi commercial business. Giving money to RTE is only funding overpaid "stars" - that's not how the general tax fund works - a very good reason why pay scales in RTE should be quantified by those of the civil service. You can't have it both ways

Quick gander thru those still charging a licence fee within Europe - the closest to Ireland is Italy and a political party is intending to abolish it - they have a multitude of terrestrial channels to choose from
    The next closest is Germany which funds multiple stations/regional output - and again a multitude of terrestrial channels
    UK - ad free channels from the Beeb and again a multitude of terrestrial channels

Ireland - a few terrestrial channels that RTE want everyone to pay them for

every channel that broadcasts via platforms such as satellite or cable is terrestrial. terrestrial does not mean privately run channels or commercial channels.
    also, once again. it is the government who have decided that a charge is required, in return for receiving a license to have a device capable of receiving a terrestrial signal. the government decided that the revenue from such charge should go to the state broadcaster.
    it is the government who decided that the state broadcaster must be semi-commercial so as to offset costs. in fact, the bbc also has commercial interests.
    rte's channels are public service with some commercial programming on some of the channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

I wonder will there be many bidders for the tender to collect the licence fee? If an post lose the contract, that will open another can of worms about rural postmasters losing their livelihood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,526 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Quick gander thru those still charging a licence fee within Europe - the closest to Ireland is Italy

The closest in terms of what?
    UK - ad free channels from the Beeb

A 4 billion budget allows that.

If you want RTE to be ad free you will have to pay a higher license fee.

Terrestrial as in DTT, i.e. Available to anyone with an aerial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

incorrect, they are duplicated by radio rira.
    it's programming is all done in irish and is quite different to rnag and tg4 but it provides irish language content so there is no need for the other 2.
    rnag is ran by rte by the way.

In that case we can get rid of Lyric and RTE1 because they are duplicated by 2FM, their programming is quite different, but they provide English language content so there is no need for the other two.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    In that case we can get rid of Lyric and RTE1 because they are duplicated by 2FM, their programming is quite different, but they provide English language content so there is no need for the other two.

exactly, thank you for proving my point of how perceived duplication is not a reason for removing services.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Doblin wrote: »
    Tbh the story about closing lyric is fake news, it's RTE trolling the government & the public hoping to get more money. I really can't see it happening.

Me either. Have RTE offered any rationale for why out of all their services they might choose to axe Lyric? They must know it would be perceived as an act of gross philistinism and trashing of their public service remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Boggles wrote: »
    Well it's hardly surprising it's an absolute load of gash so.

RTE is also a load of gash, the only difference being we have to pay for it.

There is no way RTE can look down its nose at Virgin or any other station- their schedule on RTE 2 is bottom of the barrel stuff and absolutely not serving a public service in any way. RTE 1 only slightly better.

If they get rid of RTE and 2fm and slash top presenters wages I will reconsider my position. It would also help if they stopped being a mouthpiece for the government and any other fad that happens to be in fashion this week.

RTE is also a load of gash, the only difference being we have to pay for it.

There is no way RTE can look down its nose at Virgin or any other station- their schedule on RTE 2 is bottom of the barrel stuff and absolutely not serving a public service in any way. RTE 1 only slightly better.

If they get rid of RTE and 2fm and slash top presenters wages I will reconsider my position. It would also help if they stopped being a mouthpiece for the government and any other fad that happens to be in fashion this week.

yeah. it should absolutely become a mouthpiece that only tells part of the population what they want to hear and only gives information that aligns with their views. rather then the impartial fact based broadcaster it currently is . no thanks, turn over to sky news or somewhere else for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's not a moon landing she is in charge of, it's a tv station spending much more money than it is taking in, the orchestra's are taking in over 7% of the organisations income, why does a broadcasting company have an orchestra?

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-orchestra-licence-fee-3689617-Nov2017/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

https://twitter.com/RobCross247/status/1175542181840527360

RTE flies ad executives to Japan for World Cup. Front of the Sindo, more controversy for RTE. Their pleas for money are not credible with such wastage.

It's not a moon landing she is in charge of, it's a tv station spending much more money than it is taking in, the orchestra's are taking in over 7% of the organisations income, why does a broadcasting company have an orchestra?

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-orchestra-licence-fee-3689617-Nov2017/

In fairness it's in the remit to finance the two orchestras - the big question is why two of them? Who ultimately are playing to a fraction of the country

• Advertisement

RTE flies ad executives to Japan for World Cup. Front of the Sindo, more controversy for RTE. Their pleas for money are not credible with such wastage.

Typical of them - on one hand bemoaning they don't have enough money, the next day another story breaks of their spending habits
    Like the new news studio - why do you need a new studio just for news?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Damien360

Typical of them - on one hand bemoaning they don't have enough money, the next day another story breaks of their spending habits

You obviously don’t remember the old one. It was long past it’s sell by date.

I have no issue paying for a professional news service but i object to paying for 2fm and a host of overpaid staff and stars.

Damien360 wrote: »
    You obviously don’t remember the old one. It was long past it’s sell by date.

I have no issue paying for a professional news service but i object to paying for 2fm and a host of overpaid staff and stars.

1.4 million for a few lights, a sofa, a desk and a tv - its the news ffs not GoT

I was quite happy with Dobbo and Sharon behind the desk - far better than the yobbo's they have now

absolutely nothing controvertial about this. it's a huge event.

In fairness it's in the remit to finance the two orchestras - the big question is why two of them? Who ultimately are playing to a fraction of the country

things playing to a fraction of the country is very much within rte's remit.

because the old studio's equipment was at end of life.
    + news has to be researched and then put together.

1.4 million for a few lights, a sofa, a desk and a tv - its the news ffs not GoT

I was quite happy with Dobbo and Sharon behind the desk - far better than the yobbo's they have now

modern professional broadcast equipment does not come cheap.

You're as bad as boggles
    News researched? Remember Twitterscape?
    Didn't know an infrequently used couch that usually has one person on it counts as broadcast equipment
    Bit like the extensively researched chair for Tubs to sit on - very newsworthy, no one cares except to say it looks crap

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I see RTÉ have spared no expense at the rugby World Cup with their commentary team using iPhones for commentary!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I see RTÉ have spared no expense at the rugby World Cup with their commentary team using iPhones for commentary!!

They’ve actually just dropped their own commentary team in favour of the standard stadium feed.

Fcuking amateurs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They’ve actually just dropped their own commentary team in favour of the standard stadium feed.

Fcuking amateurs

This is a fcuking joke i cannot believe this farce of a situation, they are actually using ITVs commentary, sooner RTE is gone the better

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

absolutely nothing controvertial about this. it's a huge event.

things playing to a fraction of the country is very much within rte's remit.

because the old studio's equipment was at end of life.
    + news has to be researched and then put together.

You are cheerleader in chief for a wasteful, redundant
    organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,526 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You're as bad as boggles

Because someone disagrees with your opinion they are automatically "bad"? :rolleyes:

All you are doing is moaning, currently about a piece of furniture. Absolute typical small minded Irish whinger.

Advertisement