Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wondering whats the average age people bought their first house.

Options
  • 02-02-2020 9:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭

I should be able to do when I'm 34 as currently saving but want to have double saved of what I need as a deposit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

29 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

31 and without a mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

26, and second worst decision of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

26 , but that was in 1980

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

31 and on mortgage for 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Fccwontletmebe

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

27 and lived like a pauper for many years after.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

30, the day before we got married

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Will be buying my own house later this year, 36 and like you OP, have large deposit saved. Very excited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

32, bought in 04. Two years later switched to a tracker. I've made some stupid decisions in my life. The tracker cancelled out alot of those. 5 years left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Why?

It led into a downward spiral of debt, and even now without the house I'm still paying for it. It has turned me against mortgages and made me realise that the economy wanted me to get a house so it could tie me down for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Why?

He got married after

30, and the OH was 39. We had roughly the same savings. We've been able to pay a large lump sum off since, and at this rate we'll be mortgage free when I'm 43/44. The sense of security it gives you is priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

24 in 2003. No regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

27 single man at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

34 in 2018.

Was considering buying in 2007-2008 when I was 24, worked in a bank and could’ve got a large mortgage easily enough. Decided against it, thank ****.

26 but it was an investment. Bought, renovated, and sold again within a year. Made a reasonably okay(ish) profit, which went for my deposit on the next.

27 Bought the next house which was the one I intended on living in. Banking crash and recession hit not long after.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

24 ...wasn’t easy to get a mortgage and had to have a guarantor. It was before the Celtic Tiger and house prices were just ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Looking to buy this year, I'm 31, 32 in June. I live in Belfast, where house prices are very cheap compared to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

27 bought an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Why?

Who cares why! I want to know what the first worst decision was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

24. Mortgage cleared at 37, wife was 38.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

25 and 26

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

19..............went halves with my parents on a student property when in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 morebarn

I was 21. Boyfriend was 22.
    That was in 1972.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

23 (with boyfriend) in 2000.... but we won’t be mortgage free until 2028ish as we knocked and rebuilt house in 2007. Old house was very small and couldn’t be added on to and the location was perfect for us. Delighted with what we have now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

24 in London just before the UK recession of the late 80's/early 90's, sold it 10 years later at a loss.

2 years earlier I bought our current house the week before my 33rd birthday and before the prices shot up.

For 6 months we were paying our mortgage in London and renting here, then paying 2 mortgages for nearly 2 years. Mortgage free since 2009.

Advertisement