Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wondering whats the average age people bought their first house.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Who cares why! I want to know what the first worst decision was!!

Becoming a Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

26. Built and sold it 3 years after in 2007 just before the sh1t hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,093 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I should be able to do when I'm 34 as currently saving but want to have double saved of what I need as a deposit.

No need to wonder as FTB characteristics are published somewhere by the CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Bards

24 prior to celtic tiger and used the SSIA to clear mortgage just 10 years later

22. Long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

36 just a few months ago, we're aiming/dreaming to have it paid off in 5/6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Late comer but.. better late than never.
    Very happy with myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

25 and have 5 years left to pay off. Delighted that we did buy when we did and the fact that we’ll be mortgage free so we can save a good lot for the kids college funds. I will say though, in tough times a mortgage payment is a big noose, and even 20 years is a looong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

24 in 1990 - And 15 months left on our remortgage ;) No regrets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The week before my 31st birthday, two and a bit years ago now. Single buyer, 20 years' fixed.

Am living abroad, where prices are a bit more reasonable. Found it very easy to save for the deposit, as I started night classes a at around the same time, and I haven't had any free time in which I could fritter away my money since :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Paid for in 5 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

First house I bought I was 24 - that was 1988, it needed a lot of work but had a lot of original Edwardian features that had been covered over by plywood in the 70s. It was a lot of work tbh but sold it in 1993 for twice what I paid for it.

I was 40 when I bought my current house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

33, as in when Christ died. :pac:

I kid thee not, it was 2005 and I paid top feckin' dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Bought my first place - a 2 bed apartment - when I was 29 in 2004. I rent it out as a landlord now.

The place I live in now, I inherited from my late father's estate and jointly own it with my two older sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I was about 30 and done it entirely the old fashioned way - borrowed everything, deposit and all:D
    I then repeated that process about 12 years later. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, it makes for a few very hand to mouth years while you pay off the loan, but i didn't have much choice at the time(s) and hopefully it will all turn out well in the end and leave me with a nice house and a pension kitty......hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

29, a wee apartment that I had for a few years before selling at Celtic tiger high.
    Sunk the profits into a Celtic tiger high house which will be paid off in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

40 - with a 30 year mortgage ... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

jimgoose wrote: »

I kid thee not, it was 2005 and I paid top feckin' dollar.

I'm much the same myself, place finally came out of negative equity about 2 years ago, hasn't exactly skyrocketed into positive territory either, but sure what can you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

27 & 29, had a reasonably tight time whilst saving up for a 10% deposit and took out the full 35 yr mortgage, albeit a touch below our max range. Repayments are comfortable but it would be a long time before we can move again unless the 20% rules are changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

43 and a half (single buyer) - over 2 years looking ( long story !) finally purchased October last year , upside on time had more money saved to reduce mortgage term and value borrowed being over 40 was very conscious of that not to go mad !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/property/couple-save-13000-six-months-17671526

It the uk, but interesting and with help to buy they only needed a 5% deposit.

19 and 20 and buying a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was 24 when I got mine in 1997, so it's paid off now. Because the interest rates were so low towards the end, it made more sense to wait the 20 years rather than paying extra to finish it sooner.
    jimgoose wrote: »
    33, as in when Christ died. :pac:
    When I was 33 (in 2006) I was given my first mobile phone as a birthday present, even though I didn't want one. I also used the "Jesus was crucified at 33 too" line. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

I was 23 back in the late 1970's. Had to pay my solicitors fees in instalments as I was so strapped for cash. Many house sales, purchases and renovations later I am mortgage free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

35. I could have done it a lot earlier if I had got my sh*t together but I still managed to do it before prices went mental again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭victor8600

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

OSI wrote: »
    £223k house. 13k from them, 11.5k from the government, so a mortgage of £198,500 on a combined salary of 37k. So over 5 times their combined earnings. Madness.

And its an equity loan from the government so has to be paid back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

But that was in 1979, and we only managed to because it was an incredibly cheap derelict, burnt-out shell, that we had to get up to modern standards within 3 years under the Greater London Council's Homesteading scheme (with a loan from them). (And it took 2 years to be sure the block would be saved from demolition). We'd already seen some cheap 'doer-uppers' that we would have loved to live in, but no mortgages available because they didn't already have a kitchen or suchlike!

Did our own design & drawings, camped there and rebuilt it literally with our own hands. Then lost it in 1991 when our building business went insolvent thanks to the downturn plus some rogue clients (and 'professionals'). No Council help ('intentionally homeless'), and new owners needed to move in ASAP.

We're Brits and landed over here purely by chance, camping in another shell, bought with all we had. (Among lovely people and scenery, though!).

Advertisement