Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual "wise" sayings?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

A fool and his money is some party.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

valoren wrote: »
    A fool and his money is some party.

I’ve heard it as a fool and his money are easily parted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Wtf does 'You can't teach your Grandmother to suck eggs' mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

dd973 wrote: »
    Wtf does 'You can't teach your Grandmother to suck eggs' mean?

I think it's "that's like teaching your granny to suck eggs", meaning that would be showing you something you know already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I learned him everything he knows, but not everything I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭boardise

fineso.mom wrote: »
    'Handle it once'... In relation to tidying/sorting. Basically, if you pick something up, put it down where it's going to stay.

Great example of this ..my folks drive me spare when they check lotto tickets and leave them lying around. Then weeks later someone wonders is there anything on them so big fuss as the numbers have to be checked again .
    Discard losing tickets immediately -the numbers are not going to change !!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Confucius had a great saying about how to appear confident,he said - "Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day"..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

If you can't run with the big dogs... stay under the porch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

They have champagne taste with a beer budget.

ef602f5ecde865ad1f52f97b6d424470--funny-man-its-funny.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

“Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe.”

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Deja Boo wrote: »

I love this, but since I heard it once, I hear it everywhere!

Where does it come from?

Wiki says it's an old Polish proverb... I didn't know there were circus's back in the day.

I heard it first from someone who said it was a Polish saying too..

There was always circuses... Always lol!

I think it's "that's like teaching your granny to suck eggs", meaning that would be showing you something you know already!

Well thanks for clearing that one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

kingchess wrote: »
    Confucius had a great saying about how to appear confident,he said - "Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day"..
    Confucius him say " Man who goes to bed with itchy hole wake up with smelly finger "

• Registered Users Posts: 28,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Latvian version is Not my field, not my pigs... as in I have no dog in this fight?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Locks are only for honest people

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"You can't get blood out of a turnip".. old Orkney saying.

"Il faut manger pour vivre mais pas vivre pour manger, " old French saying,

"Plus ca change, plus ca reste la meme.. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

He would be a horse of a man if he could shít standing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

silverharp wrote: »
    A Russian one I heard recently, eat breakfast alone, eat lunch with a friend and give your dinner to your enemy

Where did u hear that

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

You can't polish a turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

Mind the gap

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Robert2012 wrote: »
    You can't polish a turd.
    but you can dip it in glitter

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin

Níl aon tóin tinn mar do thóin tinn féin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

fineso.mom wrote: »
    'Handle it once'... In relation to tidying/sorting. Basically, if you pick something up, put it down where it's going to stay.

As with all things there are exceptions. I worked as a gardener in another life and we were digging out Horsetail roots and were in a hole about 6 foot down. The foreman took this handling once to the letter so when we had dug out a handful he made me climb out of the hole and put them in the truck.

Would have been far easier to throw the roots up on the bank in a pile and then put them in the truck in the end ie handling them twice, instead of having to climb in and out of the hole dozens of times!

Handling horsetail roots I would do the same. Never let them touch earth once you have them out as they shed fibres fast.

As with all things there are exceptions. I worked as a gardener in another life and we were digging out Horsetail roots and were in a hole about 6 foot down. The foreman took this handling once to the letter so when we had dug out a handful he made me climb out of the hole and put them in the truck.

Would have been far easier to throw the roots up on the bank in a pile and then put them in the truck in the end ie handling them twice, instead of having to climb in and out of the hole dozens of times!

From a market stall

"Will customers please not lean against the bacon machine as we are getting a little behind with our orders..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Graces7 wrote: »
    Handling horsetail roots I would do the same. Never let them touch earth once you have them out as they shed fibres fast.

Maybe that was his logic :). If he explained it I would have suggested bagging them straight away.

Advertisement