Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So long folks

• 27-06-2017 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I've been here for years under many guises. I do not post in the football forum because it's full of wind up merchants and trolls so I'll be saying my goodbyes. COYS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dodgygeezer

Exactly the same for me. Many years. Different user names. I cannot stomach the main soccer thread.
    This page was my 2nd eternal internet bookmark. End of an era. A pleasure. Adios to you all and let's hope a great era for Spurs beckons.....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,496 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry you feel that way guys. Don't want to turn this into any discussion of the decision to close the forum. I would though like to think the main Soccer forum has improved over recent years. Again it's not something to discuss here, but why not at least give it a go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Beasty wrote: »
    Sorry you feel that way guys. Don't want to turn this into any discussion of the decision to close the forum. I would though like to think the main Soccer forum has improved over recent years. Again it's not something to discuss here, but why not at least give it a go?

Nope. It's not improved, it's still a horrible place. We had something special here but I guess there's too much pressure from some of the mods who are the ones doing the most of the winding up and trolling, like coming in here to rub things in when we lost. I'll be going elsewhere, not boards. I've deleted accounts many times but this place was always a reason to come back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭Glebee

So long folks, it was good while it lasted. no interest in main soccer forum. To many wind up merchant looking to get a rise..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Ah...just read the sticky. This forum was the only reason I really bothered with boards, that and the music section.

The main soccer forum is vile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Right, it seems the general consensus is we need our own forum. I've got the IT knowledge to setup and admin one on a server, I just need the support. PM if you're interested in getting something going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Used to post the odd time under a diff name, still browse a bit. A true shame.

How Is the My Little Pony forum (with 1 post a year) and the Mustard forum still allowed to continue ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭WHL

Same here. The beauty of this forum was the ability to get key information on things like match changes, travel issues (e.g. train-track maintenance), swapping of memberships etc. It is true that the only controversies seemed to be caused by visiting mods from other forums. No interest in the Football forum either. I hardly watch any games unless Spurs are playing! Anybody know anything about Band or some app like that we could all use to continue as a group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i don't want to play with the bigger boys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Agree with everything that is said ..... won't be going onto the main soccer thread as they are just WUM's and i'll just end up getting banned ..
    if you start up a seperate forum just for Irish Spurs fans ..would be interested in following on that ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Right, it seems the general consensus is we need our own forum. I've got the IT knowledge to setup and admin one on a server, I just need the support. PM if you're interested in getting something going.
    TBH a Facebook group would be much better for what your looking for, you would get much better interaction.
    The day of private forums are numbered IMHO.
    Maybe there already is a Irish Spurs Supporters FaceBook group already I'm not sure.

I'm a member of an Irish Liverpool Supporters group and it is great for getting advise for tickets/away days/travel etc.

I freind of mine is a member of a Man U and it is the same for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Patww79 wrote: »

Yep a lot more would than have forum accounts I would imagine.
    I'm also a member of a homebrew forum and a hombrew Facebook group, the level of engagement is far greater on the Facebook page.

If I asked a question on the forum it could take days before I get a meaninful response (bit like boards where you usually get about 10 smart alack replies first)

If I ask a question on my Facebook group I will get multiple meaningful relies within and hour

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

TBH a Facebook group would be much better for what your looking for, you would get much better interaction.
    The day of private forums are numbered IMHO.
    Maybe there already is a Irish Spurs Supporters FaceBook group already I'm not sure.

I'm a member of an Irish Liverpool Supporters group and it is great for getting advise for tickets/away days/travel etc.

I freind of mine is a member of a Man U and it is the same for them

the irish supporters group on facebook is quite good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

What a stupid decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭oppiuy

What an absolute balls. I rarely posted but always pop in to read and follow on match days. This was great for match day advice, getting hold of tickets etc.

Why would it be moved, what purpose does it serve and how is it for the greater good ?. Im a member of Dublin supporters group on facebook but living down the country now. I would deff joing the page if the group of people posted here are all on it. Can we not set up a random page, called it the history of N17 or something.

If nothing happens, thanks to all who posted and often sparked laughter and debate ( Daniel Levy always got a good response and opinions flowing) Thanks to those who help out with tickets and further details an thanks to the mods who looked after everything.

The main soccer forum is just for Kids having playground arguments. I visited once many moons ago and wont be going back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,916 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

What's going on here?

On the app so don't see the so called stickies

Never mind, don't need stickies to work it out.

For those who can't stand the main soccer forum, the fantasy football forum has lots of decent, knowledgeable folks more than happy to discuss football matters in a civilised manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Can't believe this stupid decision,this was my second favorite Spurs forum to go to before and after a game and to look for info on Spurs,I've felt for a while that boards overall has been going down the swannie and this is more proof of it.no way will i be going near the main Soccer forum either.goodbye to all the regular posters on here it was good while it lasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Ah balls,too many arseholes on the main football forum. The Man Utd and Liverpool fans will probably try and turn our thread into one of their usual pathetic arguments :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Agreed, there are plenty of good posters in the main soccer forum, and opportunities for decent discussion, however I never enjoyed posting on there as I felt I always left myself open to the idiots and WUM's. Really, really disappointed with this decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Levy Lover

Interestingly we have seen examples of it in here - Some of the biggest trolls on the SF are some of the SF mods themselves - Chelsea supporter springs to mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

This is a very active forum with a wide variety of posters. No logic in shutting it down.

Dont like the "No discussion allowed" proclamation either. Why not? Why cant there be an open discussion on a discussion board about a decision like this.

Been on boards since it launched but getting tired of the facist style of moderation that has developed in recent years where decisions cant even have reasoned debate.

The soccer forum is a joke and always has been. Its a Man U / Liverpool mickey fest. Every game comes back to those two teams. It bears no relation to actual football discussion.

Good luck, i'm out

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I still post in the main Soccer forum occasionally (hence why i created the thread there), as i enjoy some of the banter with other posters, but it was nice to have this place to get a wide range of info from mainly Spurs fans. Definitely one of my most visited forums, and it will be missed.

I do think that being in the main forum will stop some of the ****posting that we have seen by some trolls, as we'll be part of the wider community, but i do understand why some people don't have any interest in posting there. Mainly, I think it's a shame that we will lose a lot of the regular posters here. There's been some good chats (and arguments :P) with many of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Beasty wrote: »

Consider me a user lost. I only used boards for this Spurs forum.

I don't understand why all clubs don't have a private forum. People who want to chat in the public football forums will always do that. While there is also a different kind of supporter who just wants to discuss topics in a constructive manner with like-minded football fans (i.e. other Spurs supporters).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

To all the Spurs supporters on this forum. It was nice chatting to you and getting to know different characters.

I wish you all the best in the future..... hopefully we'll all be seeing a league title soon!

slegs wrote: »
    This is a very active forum with a wide variety of posters. No logic in shutting it down.

Dont like the "No discussion allowed" proclamation either. Why not? Why cant there be an open discussion on a discussion board about a decision like this.

Been on boards since it launched but getting tired of the facist style of moderation that has developed in recent years where decisions cant even have reasoned debate.

The soccer forum is a joke and always has been. Its a Man U / Liverpool mickey fest. Every game comes back to those two teams. It bears no relation to actual football discussion.

Good luck, i'm out

The preference for feedback discussion is that it is pre-moderated by mods/admins to fit the 'correct ' narrative.

See feedback forum......

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057752586/1/#post103802409

• Advertisement

I can't read any thread there any more, it makes me too angry :D

Politicians just dragging people round in circles and doing whatever they like in the end (always) anyway.

Don't worry there won't be many more threads there. Well maybe the odd one with 2/3 posts

Getting rid of this forum because they want to do a clean up !..please don't discuss this decision here !!.. Laughable stuff
    Hatch , Mullo .. Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Can someone recommend a decent alternative Spurs forum? Where will most ofnyoubfolks be going?

Liverhampton fans laughing at us currently as we speak in the SF pool thread ..

Surely we can't finish above them next season (8 seasons in 9) with their spending power!!!..

Always looking down at Liverhampton .. Always ����

Ha ha ha ..Our dear friend beasty just deleted the Spurs trolling in the SF forum ..# priceless ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Hundreds of forums that haven't had a post in months, and they decide to close down one that has traffic. Bizarre decision yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

peteeeed wrote: »
    i don't want to play with the bigger boys

This type of response is the exact reason nobody wants to post in that hell hole of a forum. It is full of children like this particular poster.

I shall not be contributing in there unless people need help with tickets. Enjoyed the chat here over the last 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Another nail in the Boards (Bored?) coffin...
    Really baffling decision, but hey its the way Boreds is going...
    I will not go into the main Soccer thread, too many trolls and wind up w€nk ers in there..

Slán , agus COYS !!!! TTID

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I don't own this website so I've little enough right to complain about the decisions that are made about it's running, but it strikes me that if you're trying to maintain something worthwhile about boards then a decision to close down an active and thriving subgroup which has developed as a community is counterproductive.

The decision is one thing, the discussion-free method is another. Thanks for the offer to discuss this in private but no thanks, if you've so little respect for your contributors that you want them to grovel in private you don't really deserve their efforts in any way.

I've hardly posted on boards in about a year, partly because the real world got a lot realer, and partly because the decisions that have been made about the running of the site have grated on me. This is yet another dunder-headed move that will please only the serial whiners on the soccer forum.

Thanks to everyone who I've met or conversed with over the years, you know where to find me if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I don't own this website so I've little enough right to complain about the decisions that are made about it's running, but it strikes me that if you're trying to maintain something worthwhile about boards then a decision to close down an active and thriving subgroup which has developed as a community is counterproductive.

The decision is one thing, the discussion-free method is another. Thanks for the offer to discuss this in private but no thanks, if you've so little respect for your contributors that you want them to grovel in private you don't really deserve their efforts in any way.

I've hardly posted on boards in about a year, partly because the real world got a lot realer, and partly because the decisions that have been made about the running of the site have grated on me. This is yet another dunder-headed move that will please only the serial whiners on the soccer forum.

Thanks to everyone who I've met or conversed with over the years, you know where to find me if you want.

Fairplay Ronan, you are the man who got this whole thing up and running. Because of this forum I have gained many friends who I now meet on a regular basis when traveling over. Once again thanks to yourself and Mullo and Hatch who also moderated over the years. It will be sadly missed but will keep in touch.

And meanwhile Snowboarding is still there if anyone wants to discuss anything... Most posts were in 2013 tho ....

And , "PM to discuss "..... :mad:
    Moderation should be moderate, not definitive !!!!

Ridiculous ..... 2nd post on the Soccer page was a slag/joke ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Watch a decent sport.

daveyeh wrote: »
    Watch a decent sport.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭Glebee

Check out the Irish Skateparks forum, Jesus wept.:confused::confused:

But im sure there is a great reason to close our Forum down......
    but they just wont tell us.......

Anyone know if the Spurs Club shop sells Spurs Snowboards ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The Chelsea group is being closed too, granted its a LOT less active, theres only been 200 odd posts this year, compared to 2,300 in this forum but theres a reason for that, all the Chelsea fan are over in the Soccer Forum already.

IMO, its pointless having 2 sub-groups that can be easily accommodated in the main forum, especially on a forum like Boards where debate and interacting with others is what keeps the community going.

Nobody is being forced to use the forum either, I counted 60 users in the Chelsea group, 59 have access to Soccer already and probably a good 20-25 post regularly enough in the main forum as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The Chelsea group is being closed too, granted its a LOT less active, theres only been 200 odd posts this year, compared to 2,300 in this forum but theres a reason for that, all the Chelsea fan are over in the Soccer Forum already.

IMO, its pointless having 2 sub-groups that can be easily accommodated in the main forum, especially on a forum like Boards where debate and interacting with others is what keeps the community going.

Nobody is being forced to use the forum either, I counted 60 users in the Chelsea group, 59 have access to Soccer already and probably a good 20-25 post regularly enough in the main forum as it is.

Does it matter what the contributors to the forum actually think? Sounds like a couple of mods made this decision to suit themselves

So its just shutting down forums, just to get everyone into the main soccer forum ??
    Was there not enough "debate and interacting" within the Spurs Forum?
    Or do yee just rather petty bickering and trolling that require banning/cards etc etc .....
    "Nobody is forced to use the main forum "..... Ahm, yes they are , because yee are shutting the Spurs one !!!! :confused:

Does it matter what the contributors to the forum actually think? Sounds like a couple of mods made this decision to suit themselves

Well I'm assuming (could be wrong) its too move the two football "private" forums under the Sports category and into the Soccer Forum.

Its not a Mod decision either, its happened at Admin/Office level.

Theres nothing stopping Spurs fans just posting inside their own thread in Soccer too, plenty of fans stay exclusively within their own threads and dont bother with the Match threads which can be a bit heated, or other teams threads too because it doesnt offer them anything. I dont go into the Celtc thread, for example, it serves my no purpose, unless we were linked with a player and I was looking for some knowledge or opinions.

greenspurs wrote: »
    "Nobody is forced to use the main forum "..... Ahm, yes they are , because yee are shutting the Spurs one !!!! :confused:
    Well I'm assuming (could be wrong) its too move the two football "private" forums under the Sports category and into the Soccer Forum.

Its not a Mod decision either, its happened at Admin/Office level.

See above, it was decided at a higher up level, Admin/Office level.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,496 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The decision was taken at Admin level. We pushed on with it to allow anyone who so wishes to get established in the main forum ahead of the new season, (and indeed ahead of the annual Soccer Feedback thread as the topic of these forums usually gets raised there).

However as I've already indicated this is not the place to discuss the decision itself. I've offered options where it can be discussed but to date no-one has taken up that offer.

I understand the frustration over the way this announcement has come across, but it was part of a wider process.

And I'll leave this thread open for now, as again I understand the desire of some regulars to say their goodbyes and indeed express disappointment at the decision itself. However if it does descend into further discussion of the decision the thread will be closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement