Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So long folks

Options
  • 27-06-2017 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

I've been here for years under many guises. I do not post in the football forum because it's full of wind up merchants and trolls so I'll be saying my goodbyes. COYS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dodgygeezer

Exactly the same for me. Many years. Different user names. I cannot stomach the main soccer thread.
    This page was my 2nd eternal internet bookmark. End of an era. A pleasure. Adios to you all and let's hope a great era for Spurs beckons.....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry you feel that way guys. Don't want to turn this into any discussion of the decision to close the forum. I would though like to think the main Soccer forum has improved over recent years. Again it's not something to discuss here, but why not at least give it a go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Beasty wrote: »
    Sorry you feel that way guys. Don't want to turn this into any discussion of the decision to close the forum. I would though like to think the main Soccer forum has improved over recent years. Again it's not something to discuss here, but why not at least give it a go?

Nope. It's not improved, it's still a horrible place. We had something special here but I guess there's too much pressure from some of the mods who are the ones doing the most of the winding up and trolling, like coming in here to rub things in when we lost. I'll be going elsewhere, not boards. I've deleted accounts many times but this place was always a reason to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Glebee

So long folks, it was good while it lasted. no interest in main soccer forum. To many wind up merchant looking to get a rise..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Ah...just read the sticky. This forum was the only reason I really bothered with boards, that and the music section.

The main soccer forum is vile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Right, it seems the general consensus is we need our own forum. I've got the IT knowledge to setup and admin one on a server, I just need the support. PM if you're interested in getting something going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Used to post the odd time under a diff name, still browse a bit. A true shame.

How Is the My Little Pony forum (with 1 post a year) and the Mustard forum still allowed to continue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

Same here. The beauty of this forum was the ability to get key information on things like match changes, travel issues (e.g. train-track maintenance), swapping of memberships etc. It is true that the only controversies seemed to be caused by visiting mods from other forums. No interest in the Football forum either. I hardly watch any games unless Spurs are playing! Anybody know anything about Band or some app like that we could all use to continue as a group

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i don't want to play with the bigger boys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Agree with everything that is said ..... won't be going onto the main soccer thread as they are just WUM's and i'll just end up getting banned ..
    if you start up a seperate forum just for Irish Spurs fans ..would be interested in following on that ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Right, it seems the general consensus is we need our own forum. I've got the IT knowledge to setup and admin one on a server, I just need the support. PM if you're interested in getting something going.
    TBH a Facebook group would be much better for what your looking for, you would get much better interaction.
    The day of private forums are numbered IMHO.
    Maybe there already is a Irish Spurs Supporters FaceBook group already I'm not sure.

I'm a member of an Irish Liverpool Supporters group and it is great for getting advise for tickets/away days/travel etc.

I freind of mine is a member of a Man U and it is the same for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Patww79 wrote: »

Yep a lot more would than have forum accounts I would imagine.
    I'm also a member of a homebrew forum and a hombrew Facebook group, the level of engagement is far greater on the Facebook page.

If I asked a question on the forum it could take days before I get a meaninful response (bit like boards where you usually get about 10 smart alack replies first)

If I ask a question on my Facebook group I will get multiple meaningful relies within and hour

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

TBH a Facebook group would be much better for what your looking for, you would get much better interaction.
    The day of private forums are numbered IMHO.
    Maybe there already is a Irish Spurs Supporters FaceBook group already I'm not sure.

I'm a member of an Irish Liverpool Supporters group and it is great for getting advise for tickets/away days/travel etc.

I freind of mine is a member of a Man U and it is the same for them

the irish supporters group on facebook is quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

What a stupid decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭oppiuy

What an absolute balls. I rarely posted but always pop in to read and follow on match days. This was great for match day advice, getting hold of tickets etc.

Why would it be moved, what purpose does it serve and how is it for the greater good ?. Im a member of Dublin supporters group on facebook but living down the country now. I would deff joing the page if the group of people posted here are all on it. Can we not set up a random page, called it the history of N17 or something.

If nothing happens, thanks to all who posted and often sparked laughter and debate ( Daniel Levy always got a good response and opinions flowing) Thanks to those who help out with tickets and further details an thanks to the mods who looked after everything.

The main soccer forum is just for Kids having playground arguments. I visited once many moons ago and wont be going back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

What's going on here?

On the app so don't see the so called stickies

Never mind, don't need stickies to work it out.

For those who can't stand the main soccer forum, the fantasy football forum has lots of decent, knowledgeable folks more than happy to discuss football matters in a civilised manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Can't believe this stupid decision,this was my second favorite Spurs forum to go to before and after a game and to look for info on Spurs,I've felt for a while that boards overall has been going down the swannie and this is more proof of it.no way will i be going near the main Soccer forum either.goodbye to all the regular posters on here it was good while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Ah balls,too many arseholes on the main football forum. The Man Utd and Liverpool fans will probably try and turn our thread into one of their usual pathetic arguments :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Agreed, there are plenty of good posters in the main soccer forum, and opportunities for decent discussion, however I never enjoyed posting on there as I felt I always left myself open to the idiots and WUM's. Really, really disappointed with this decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Levy Lover

Interestingly we have seen examples of it in here - Some of the biggest trolls on the SF are some of the SF mods themselves - Chelsea supporter springs to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

This is a very active forum with a wide variety of posters. No logic in shutting it down.

Dont like the "No discussion allowed" proclamation either. Why not? Why cant there be an open discussion on a discussion board about a decision like this.

Been on boards since it launched but getting tired of the facist style of moderation that has developed in recent years where decisions cant even have reasoned debate.

The soccer forum is a joke and always has been. Its a Man U / Liverpool mickey fest. Every game comes back to those two teams. It bears no relation to actual football discussion.

Good luck, i'm out

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I still post in the main Soccer forum occasionally (hence why i created the thread there), as i enjoy some of the banter with other posters, but it was nice to have this place to get a wide range of info from mainly Spurs fans. Definitely one of my most visited forums, and it will be missed.

I do think that being in the main forum will stop some of the ****posting that we have seen by some trolls, as we'll be part of the wider community, but i do understand why some people don't have any interest in posting there. Mainly, I think it's a shame that we will lose a lot of the regular posters here. There's been some good chats (and arguments :P) with many of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Beasty wrote: »

Consider me a user lost. I only used boards for this Spurs forum.

I don't understand why all clubs don't have a private forum. People who want to chat in the public football forums will always do that. While there is also a different kind of supporter who just wants to discuss topics in a constructive manner with like-minded football fans (i.e. other Spurs supporters).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

To all the Spurs supporters on this forum. It was nice chatting to you and getting to know different characters.

I wish you all the best in the future..... hopefully we'll all be seeing a league title soon!

slegs wrote: »
    This is a very active forum with a wide variety of posters. No logic in shutting it down.

Dont like the "No discussion allowed" proclamation either. Why not? Why cant there be an open discussion on a discussion board about a decision like this.

Been on boards since it launched but getting tired of the facist style of moderation that has developed in recent years where decisions cant even have reasoned debate.

The soccer forum is a joke and always has been. Its a Man U / Liverpool mickey fest. Every game comes back to those two teams. It bears no relation to actual football discussion.

Good luck, i'm out

The preference for feedback discussion is that it is pre-moderated by mods/admins to fit the 'correct ' narrative.

See feedback forum......

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057752586/1/#post103802409

• Advertisement

I can't read any thread there any more, it makes me too angry :D

Politicians just dragging people round in circles and doing whatever they like in the end (always) anyway.

Don't worry there won't be many more threads there. Well maybe the odd one with 2/3 posts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement