Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venice - Urgent help required re cancellation

Options
  • 14-11-2019 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭

My son and girlfriend booked a few days in Venice, due to fly out Monday.

Venice is flooded, so no go,Hotel has been paid IN FULL. They cannot cancel which is fair enough, so they want to book somewhere else and keep the flight.

They have been informed that if they don't show, they will be charged a fee, Is this correct? The room is paid for regardless! They can't possibly go to Venice and are resigned to having lost the hotel money, but can't afford to book somewhere else and be charged for not showing up!

They booked with Hotels.com who apparently can't help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

dragona wrote: »

Venice is flooded, so no go,Hotel has been paid IN FULL. They cannot cancel which is fair enough, so they want to book somewhere else and keep the flight.

They have been informed that if they don't show, they will be charged a fee, Is this correct? The room is paid for regardless! They can't possibly go to Venice and are resigned to having lost the hotel money, but can't afford to book somewhere else and be charged for not showing up!

Why No Go? Hotels are still open.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/venice-flooding-latest-weather-rain-water-italy-travel-tourists-a9201501.html

Seems that they can go but dont want to now, correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

weisses wrote: »
    Why No Go? Hotels are still open.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/venice-flooding-latest-weather-rain-water-italy-travel-tourists-a9201501.html

Seems that they can go but dont want to now, correct ?

Did you even read your link?

'The city’s mayor, Luigi Brugnaro, declared it a disaster zone and is asking the government to call a state of emergency, which would allow funds to be freed to address the damage'

My sister and her boyfriend are in the exact same position, meant to be heading next week and are being told they can't cancel their accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

They want to fly in anyway, and get a train to somewhere else. The hotel is going to CHARGE them if they don't show, which is insane as they have already paid. Don't know what to do.

Master of the Universe

They want to fly in anyway, and get a train to somewhere else. The hotel is going to CHARGE them if they don't show, which is insane as they have already paid. Don't know what to do.

The more you describe your situation the more I think we're actually talking about the same people :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Get onto the CC company and put a block on the payment.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    The more you describe your situation the more I think we're actually talking about the same people :eek:

oh yes? :confused: J and C ?

Master of the Universe

oh yes? :confused:

Sister's name starts with a J and her boyfriends name starts with a C.

Either we're talking about the same people or we've both got family in exactly the same situation on Monday trying to cancel accomodation in Venice :D

Master of the Universe

oh yes? :confused: J and C ?

Haha bingo! That's mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

tenor.gif

o1s1n wrote: »
    Haha bingo! That's mad!

Yep then! small world :cool: I'm getting annoyed about it. charging for no show is beyond ridiculous. To cancel is one thing, but to charge them for not turning up???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Yep then! small world :cool: I'm getting annoyed about it. charging for no show is beyond ridiculous. To cancel is one thing, but to charge them for not turning up???

not sure who they booked with but normally with hotels.com when i book there are two prices options, one which is the cheapest but offers no free cancellation and a second option which offers free cancellation but is slightly more expensive.

They should be able to get the full price refunded back minus the cancellation fee. Sadly, it is part of booking the cheapest hotels/rental cars/flights/etc.

If they have travel insurance, it may be worth calling them and seeing what they can do considering the circumstances in Venice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

So Dragona & O1s1n now that you know each other did you find anything juicy in the other's post history because we all know that's the only thing you've been doing for the last 15 minutes.

And tell them to go to Venice. By Monday the water will have subsided but thousands of other tourists will be skipping the place so that makes it an ideal time to go without the crazy hoards.

Master of the Universe

Jaden wrote: »

The particular hotel that was booked flooded and the hotel owner was completely honest on the phone and said it might actually flood again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jeshoca

Hi all,

This is J. I called the hotel yesterday and they told me they were still open but the that they ground floor had been flooded and the streets outside have been flooded. They then lied to hotel.com and said they had been unaffected by the flood and hotel.com seem to believe them.

We've been looking a lot into it may not let up by Monday. The locals are trying to get the tourists to stay so they won't lose money.

I'd rather go see Venice when it's not in a state of emergency. Or stay in a flooded hotel as it doesn't sound the safest.

Also hi dragona and o1s1n :)

marcos_94 wrote: »
    not sure who they booked with but normally with hotels.com when i book there are two prices options, one which is the cheapest but offers no free cancellation and a second option which offers free cancellation but is slightly more expensive

There was only one price for this listing unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Venice is currently a mess under a state of emergency.

I go every year but there is no way I would be going now.

Shops , Restaurants and attractions are nearly all flooded or damaged.

Hopefully one way or another you they get a refund.

Venice is currently a mess under a state of emergency.

I go every year but there is no way I would be going now.

Shops , Restaurants and attractions are nearly all flooded or damaged.

Hopefully one way or another you they get a refund.

I've reached out to hotels.com multiple times and it looks like a refund isn't going to happen. We may just have to count it as a loss. Going to try get a hotel in Verona instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do they have travel insurance?

And Force Majure should allow them to cancel without penalty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Jeshoca wrote: »
    I've reached out to hotels.com multiple times and it looks like a refund isn't going to happen. We may just have to count it as a loss. Going to try get a hotel in Verona instead.

Sorry for your trouble, Verona is lovely. Stayed in Artpop hotel a bit outside the town on our Honeymoon

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭zzdp

Contact hotel directly if the hotel is closed ask them for an email to confirm. Then contact hotels.com. they will then have to refund you or offer another hotel. This happened to me when a hotel failed to reopen 9 months after a hurricane(400 euro a night). Hotels.com had to give me another hotel that cost 2500 euro a night. As your booking is guarenteed with hotels.com they have to sort u if the hotel is closed. I was also in Venice a few years ago when the whole place flooded the water went very quick and the place was u and running the next day.

Jeshoca wrote: »

What about the no show charge? That really annoys me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

What a bizarre thread, we just need the boyfriend now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Has somebody hacked a family WhatsApp and is redirecting messages to boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What a bizarre thread, we just need the boyfriend now
    I'll volunteer, contingent on pics.

What about the no show charge? That really annoys me!

Still working on that one! We're about to go out for lunch I'll give the hotel another call when we get back . I'll keep you updated :)

Gavlor wrote: »
    Has somebody hacked a family WhatsApp and is redirecting messages to boards?

Haha my brother told me about the thread when he found out it was about me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

Get someone else to contact the hotel (by email) asking if they are open for bookings as you want to book for tomorrow.... ie trick them into answering that they are in fact closed? send the answer to hotels.com

• Advertisement

Doop wrote: »
    Get someone else to contact the hotel (by email) asking if they are open for bookings as you want to book for tomorrow.... ie trick them into answering that they are in fact closed? send the answer to hotels.com

They said they're still taking reservations, even though they're flooded. That's the problem.

Advertisement