Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venice - Urgent help required re cancellation

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Mokuba wrote: »
    Don't book hotels through third parties. Yes sometimes you might get a reduced fee, but if anything goes wrong the hotel will fob you off to the third party, who often cannot help. Not worth it at all.

This is a pretty rare occurrence. I use Hotels.com for both my own travel and work travel and have had to cancel and re-book multiple times before without issue. The key thing with using third parties is to know exactly what youre booking and what options you have if you need to alter or cancel youre booking.
    The same goes for booking advance purchase rates (no cancellation). Losing all flexibility for a few quid of a saving could not be less worth it.

Thats not true. Again, hotels.com offers the option to pay up front or at the hotel (its actually at the discretion of the hotel) and depending on hotel policy, rates may or may not include free cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Don't book hotels through third parties. Yes sometimes you might get a reduced fee, but if anything goes wrong the hotel will fob you off to the third party, who often cannot help. Not worth it at all.

The same goes for booking advance purchase rates (no cancellation). Losing all flexibility for a few quid of a saving could not be less worth it.

This is a one in a million occurance, most 3rd parties offer free cancellation, the money you save over a lifetime of using third party sites far far offsets covering one occurance like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

They've declared a state of emergency now - would you try Hotels.com again and see if that makes a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Venice is completely flooded again today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I only book through third party sites such as Booking. com. Free cancellation is the option to go for.

• Advertisement

I only book through third party sites such as Booking. com. Free cancellation is the option to go for.

Im the same. I use booking.com and book on condition that I have free cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Venice is completely flooded again today
    It is an event like the fall of the Berlin Wall that will have significance in years to come.
    Why you wouldn't want to see it if you have flights already booked I can't fathom (sic).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

rivegauche wrote: »
    It is an event like the fall of the Berlin Wall that will have significance in years to come.
    Why you wouldn't want to see it if you have flights already booked I can't fathom (sic).

Because their hotel is flooded and possible unsafe? Lots of the museums etc. are closed too. I camp and hostel and have no bother roughing it, but if I had a nice relaxing holiday planned (fancy hotel, gondola rides, sightseeing, nice Italian restaurants), I wouldn't be happy sleeping in a damp hotel, which will take hours to get to (since water taxis aren't running in most of Venice), while most of the local attractions are closed.

Might be historically significant, but that doesn't make it a fun trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Bring a pair of wellies,,,, twill be grand, besides revenue from tourists will help this disaster... so those going are helping in disaster relief.

NSAman wrote: »
    Bring a pair of wellies,,,, twill be grand, besides revenue from tourists will help this disaster... so those going are helping in disaster relief.

I dont think the OP plans a humanitarian mission to Venice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

I dont think the OP plans a humanitarian mission to Venice.
    Well that is just not on, such a selfless act would be much more memorable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

rivegauche wrote: »

Because it's really not that historic. Venice has been flooding for centuries. I remember reading about it when I first visited the city with my parents back in 1978.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Well my Neighbours are going to the Biennale which is unaffected Plenty to do for those who wish to travel.

Jeshoca wrote: »
    Hi all,

This is J. I called the hotel yesterday and they told me they were still open but the that they ground floor had been flooded and the streets outside have been flooded. They then lied to hotel.com and said they had been unaffected by the flood and hotel.com seem to believe them.

We've been looking a lot into it may not let up by Monday. The locals are trying to get the tourists to stay so they won't lose money.

I'd rather go see Venice when it's not in a state of emergency. Or stay in a flooded hotel as it doesn't sound the safest.

So what did you do in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If the hotel has been flooded it's hardly 'safe' (sanitary maybe) to stay in is it? I mean sure your room will probably be fine, but the ground floor.. dirty water, back washed toilets and sinks.. same then with any shops and restaurants you go to

Would have thought the same myself, you'd have all sorts of animal sh1t floating around in flood waters and everything it touches gets contaminated. I think if the hotel was flooded and hotels.com wont refund then spend 25 euro for a trip to the small claims court, theyll likely refund it then rather than paying a solicitor a few hundred euro to go down there and defend it and risk losing anyway.

Advertisement