Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs being stolen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'm pretty much on board with everyone neutering etc. but I feel like it might be a part of the problem. Even 10 years ago at any point I could have told you where to get a Jack Russell pup at pretty much any time. Well looked-after pets having a litter or two meant there was a supply there. Now it seems to be just breeders (legit and otherwise) doing most of the supply. Obviously the demand for CUTE OMG PUPPIES is the ultimate cause though.

Ten years ago people were still drowning unwanted pups and kittens in barrels. It is not an ideal time time in animal welfare to go back to. Mass neutering is 100% preferential to overpopulation or an excess of supply of pets.

Ten years ago people were still drowning unwanted pups and kittens in barrels. It is not an ideal time time in animal welfare to go back to. Mass neutering is 100% preferential to overpopulation or an excess of supply of pets.

Maybe something in the middle?
    It's the usual problem, responsible people do everything right, whether before or after mass neutering, irresponsible people cause the problems no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

anewme wrote: »
    It was driving round my cul de sac and looking in everybody's house and garden but not going to anyone's house. As it is a cul de sac, you would have no reason to come here unless you were going to one of the houses. So they were not going to one of the houses. You don't just drive around random estates for a day out.

I noticed their behaviour was odd as they were nosing into my property and did not realise I was in. I stood at the door with the phone in my hand and off they went very sharpish.

As mentioned above, the best way to deal with suspicious people in the area is to make people aware and alert.

I don't know where they went after my road, but others replied on the Community page they were scouting round a nearby town too, same behaviour driving round Estates. Not sure if they were after dogs in particular, but Im fairly confident to say they were not going to benefit the community in any way positive.

Our local text alert service asks us to report such sightings to make others and especially old and vulnerable aware. Gardai also notified.

Edited to Add: Not sure how it is meant, but if it is being smart - "did it have dognappers written on it" are the type of comments that put people off highlighting suspicious activity in their area. Years ago a neighbours house was broken into, brazen in the middle of the day. Someone across the road spotted them going in, said afterward that did feel it suspicious and were fuming with themselves but said nothing because they had hi viz jackets on maybe it could be people doing work and they did not want to be made out as nosey. You need to use common sense, ie, Larry Murphy is not in every white van in Ireland at the same time, but Community awareness is key to eliminating many levels of crime in our Country.

I hope someone passed on their car registration plate to the Gardai and gave them descriptions of the suspects.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I hope someone passed on their car registration plate to the Gardai and gave them descriptions of the suspects.

Unfortunately, I could not get the reg plate....they sped off (and could only go one way) when they spotted I was onto them.

Yellow Reg.

Good description of 2 men in van though was given to Gardai.

Unfortunately, I could not get the reg plate....they sped off (and could only go one way) when they spotted I was onto them.

Yellow Reg.

Good description of 2 men in van though was given to Gardai.
    Good work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

If anyone is missing a dog in Limerick or Cork there's a nice family in Charleville who have stolen over 60 dogs so far and are waiting for their day in court which is delayed due to Covid. They've been banned from having dogs but are using the pademic as cover to continue stealing and selling dogs.
    Everyone has reported them including me to the Gardai but they're essentially powerless at the moment.
    Right now there are 2 labradors (one golden/white and the other black and they've been crying the whole week while the family have ****ed off to England to sell the other dogs they've had in their yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

It seems when people like this get it into the head to steal dogs or trailers or copper or whatever the in thing is, the powers that be are unable or unwilling to do anything, its like a collective group think of my hands are tied we have no legislative powers to do anything, surely a family known by every dog on the street to steal dogs or whatever else should be under increased scrutiny to the point that they have to stop their illegal activities, i suppose its easier to go out and milk the cash cow that is the Irish motorist than to risk profiling
    our local scumbags/knackers no matter how accurate

Drones flying over houses with dogs/kennels down Naas way this morning. It's been well publicised online which is the best way of shutting these people down and was straight through the text alert network.

Blazer wrote: »
    If anyone is missing a dog in Limerick or Cork there's a nice family in Charleville who have stolen over 60 dogs so far and are waiting for their day in court which is delayed due to Covid. They've been banned from having dogs but are using the pademic as cover to continue stealing and selling dogs.
    Everyone has reported them including me to the Gardai but they're essentially powerless at the moment.
    Right now there are 2 labradors (one golden/white and the other black and they've been crying the whole week while the family have ****ed off to England to sell the other dogs they've had in their yard.

See a family got their dog back from Limerick after hiring a private investigator. The van belong to a suspected family of dog thieves was spotted in Rush on the day the dog was taken. And the dog appears online for sale.

Gardai slow to act because, well, you got you dog back. They know right well who these are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

See a family got their dog back from Limerick after hiring a private investigator. The van belong to a suspected family of dog thieves was spotted in Rush on the day the dog was taken. And the dog appears online for sale.

Gardai slow to act because, well, you got you dog back. They know right well who these are.

blame the justice system.
    The whole thing is geared towards keeping police, lawyers, judges on a payroll.
    With reduced criminality we wouldn't need half of those numbers so its not in their interests to reduce them.
    I feel sorry for the frontline police. They're already lost the battle and just don't realize it.
    You also have the PC brigade who say its society's issue etc.
    I wonder how the widow of that cop in England who was killed by those scum feels about their recent sentencing and getting away with murder.
    These people care nothing about you or I or indeed animals whatsoever.
    They're filthy scum and nothing more than vermin to be squashed.

• Advertisement

Drones flying over houses with dogs/kennels down Naas way this morning. It's been well publicised online which is the best way of shutting these people down and was straight through the text alert network.

Is it illegal to shoot down a drone over your land?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Okay guys, that's enough about speed vans and cyclists and motorists. Let's stay on topic now please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

4 dogs stolen from a house outside ballymote last week.
    The place is a mile down essentially a dirt track that's a dead end. That's not someone just being opportunistic

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Is it illegal to shoot down a drone over your land?

I read on Mid West today that Mayo CoCo are currently training up a team to fly drones for the purpose of catching illegal dumping and fires.

So lads, be careful shooting down drones. They aren't all dognapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

Binka wrote: »
    I read on Mid West today that Mayo CoCo are currently training up a team to fly drones for the purpose of catching illegal dumping and fires.

So lads, be careful shooting down drones. They aren't all dognapping.

yeah but they aren't flying over peoples houses!

Topic of stolen dogs is tabled for Liveline this afternoon I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I was out walking my fella yesterday and there was 2 little Yorkies out on the green by themselves, collars on and freshly groomed so obviously someone's pets.
    I can't believe anyone would allow their dogs out alone like that considering how many dogs are going missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Blazer wrote: »

Can anyone ring the guards to report the dogs left while they gone AWOL? They can enter the premises once there is an animal welfare concern.. I couldn't bear to here these animals crying. Interestingly, lots of gates in that area found with the tie wraps or ropes "marking" the houses with pedigree dogs in past week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I honestly don't see why we can't make exchanging dogs and cats for money illegal outright. Designer pets and purebred pride are just completely baffling to me - we have two dogs and they both came to us at about 2 years old from different rescues, both mongrelly terriers and I can't fathom the people who pretend to be animal lovers buying puppies off Donedeal when the rescues are full.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

frillyleaf wrote: »
    What is with all the dogs being stolen at them moment? Why are so many suddenly going missing?

maybe all these dogs have been stolen by those who want to sell them back for a higher bid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I think this thread would be more helpful if there was some suggestions/tips on how to keep your dog from being stolen? `

For example my dog always has a tag on - be it on a collar or his harness and that includes in the house. I know loads of people who take collars off indoors. I have cameras front and back and he's not left out without supervision. We have a tiny garden anyways and he prefers to be indoors with us. I don't think he'd actually go with anyone as he's clingy enough - more so as I've been working from home for months(!) We've all seen posts on FB about white vans with UK reg - call the local Garda station before sharing on FB etc.

There also needs to be more education rather than the adopt don't shop mantra - people haven't a clue on what to look out for when buying a dog and this includes from rescues. (Not all rescues are reputable either!) And going further a collaboration between Ireland and the UK where a lot of these dogs end up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I honestly don't see why we can't make exchanging dogs and cats for money illegal outright. Designer pets and purebred pride are just completely baffling to me - we have two dogs and they both came to us at about 2 years old from different rescues, both mongrelly terriers and I can't fathom the people who pretend to be animal lovers buying puppies off Donedeal when the rescues are full.

What about people that buy from reputable breeders. Both my Golden retrievers are from reputable breeders.

Theres no need to keep pushing the rescue agenda when some people want a particular breed of dog.

Also people are talking about so many dogs being available in the past that a lot had to be PTS as they were unwanted. People were encouraged to neuter their dogs /(and cats) to prevent this.

So (by and large) the good people who are responsible pet owners did this...because its the right thing to do.

BUT the irresponsible owners and puppy farmers didn't neuter their animals. So is it any wonder that the only real source now for people are from puppy farmers and poor owners?

Has doing the right thing has led to lower standards for puppies?

daheff wrote: »

Has doing the right thing has led to lower standards for puppies?

No it certainly hasn’t led to lower standards. When you purchase a dog from a reputable breeder you specify that you want a pet. Pet quality dogs are not suitable to breed from for a variety of reasons depending on the dog. Dogs that are suitable quality to breed from are generally kept by the breeder or sent on to other breeders and show/working homes. People that breed from pet quality dogs at home with little knowledge of health testing or what to look for when matching dogs are known as back-yard breeders. They don’t care, in my opinion there is no such thing as an accidental mating. The dogs back-yard breeders produce are no better quality than puppy farm dogs and indeed many are descended from puppy farm dogs.

No it certainly hasn’t led to lower standards. When you purchase a dog from a reputable breeder you specify that you want a pet. Pet quality dogs are not suitable to breed from for a variety of reasons depending on the dog. Dogs that are suitable quality to breed from are generally kept by the breeder or sent on to other breeders and show/working homes. People that breed from pet quality dogs at home with little knowledge of health testing or what to look for when matching dogs are known as back-yard breeders. They don’t care, in my opinion there is no such thing as an accidental mating. The dogs back-yard breeders produce are no better quality than puppy farm dogs and indeed many are descended from puppy farm dogs.

With all due respect, most people do not buy from a breeder.

In the past more people got a puppy from somebody whose own pet had puppies....so had a much better life living in somebodys home as a pet than those poor dogs in puppy farms. I'd much rather get a dog from one of these homes than a puppy farm. And most of these would be mongrels, so less inbred and more likely to be of better health.

Some dogs are wanderers and escapologists...especially when they get a breeding urge. And (maybe not so much now) back in the day dogs were able to come and go a lot more in their homes than they are now. So plenty of chance of accidental mating (more like unwanted)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

daheff wrote:
    And most of these would be mongrels, so less inbred and more likely to be of better health.

This is actually a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

daheff wrote: »
    With all due respect, most people do not buy from a breeder.

In the past more people got a puppy from somebody whose own pet had puppies....so had a much better life living in somebodys home as a pet than those poor dogs in puppy farms. I'd much rather get a dog from one of these homes than a puppy farm. And most of these would be mongrels, so less inbred and more likely to be of better health.

You seem to be confused as to what a breeder is though. Puppy farmers can operate out of a house. They can bring dogs to a house setting to throw people off... unless you don’t ever spend time with your dog you’re going to notice it’s pregnant.. if you choose to let the dog continue with the pregnancy and have the pups you’re a breeder. Whether it’s a repeated ‘accidental litter’ or planned.

Your post highlights the problem in this country.

If the people shouting adopt don’t shop actually spread awareness on what a reputable breeder is versus a puppy farmer or what’s required by law when buying a dog (be it from a breeder or rescue) we wouldn’t have the welfare problem we have. That would involve many of them taking their head out of the sand and opening their mind to accept there are reputable breeders.

As for the cross breeds are healthier myth. Cross breeds are statistically more likely to suffer CCD. Also people stealing dogs aren’t checking their lineage and doing dna tests to make sure they’re purebred dogs either - they’ll take whatever they can grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

tk123 wrote: »
    If the people shouting adopt don’t shop actually spread awareness on what a reputable breeder is versus a puppy farmer or what’s required by law when buying a dog (be it from a breeder or rescue) we wouldn’t have the welfare problem we have. That would involve many of them taking their head out of the sand and opening their mind to accept there are reputable breeders.

Couldn't agree with you more on this point! If I see another sanctimonious post on Facebook about "adopt don't shop" I'll scream:mad:
    Buying a dogs SHOULD be a perfectly acceptable way of getting a dog as long as it is done responsibly and for that to happen there should be as much information out there about buying a dog responsibly as there is about adopting one or neutering your pet or vaccinating your pet. All of that in combination with enforcement of breeding rules.
    But the reality is people won't wait for an ethically bred dog and the government won't go after those would flout the laws around dog breeding :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

But there IS loads of information if you want it - go to facebook and you'll find numerous groups where you can ask for advice on specific breeders or how to spot a puppy farm/BYB. But most people don't want to do research, they want to buy an instant pup on done deal, like buying a stuffed toy on amazon.

The Irish government has licensed puppy farms to churn out thousands upon thousands of puppies. Maybe rather than pushing the onus to educate on rescue volunteers who are tired and fed-up of people buying insta-pups online and giving up on their dogs, everyone who has an opinion on this would be better spent lobbying the irish government to (i) stop licensing puppy farms, and (ii) enforce microchip legislation.

• Advertisement

You seem to be confused as to what a breeder is though. Puppy farmers can operate out of a house. They can bring dogs to a house setting to throw people off
    I know what a breeder is and a puppy farmer. And a family whose dog got knocked up unintentionally.
    ... unless you don’t ever spend time with your dog you’re going to notice it’s pregnant.. if you choose to let the dog continue with the pregnancy

can't say I've heard of abortion on demand for dogs (or cats). More usual for unwanted pups/kittens to have ended up in a sack in the river.

Advertisement