Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs being stolen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Will people stop believing the rubbish on social media or the tabloid rags that every summer look for some bullsh1t to scare people with.

Usually its a cancer scare story - 2 slices of ham and you'll be dead in a month, or burnt toast will give u=you cancer, or the best one, eating hamburgers will cause deadly cancer (daily mail 2013 - to get a level of carcinogens from burgers you would need to eat 2kg (16 1/4lb burgers) a day for about 50 years - you'd be dead from obesity many ,amy years before that, but still did not prevent the daily muck spout such sh1te)

Its the same EVERY summer when there is nothing for the foolish 2nd rate journalist to write about and usually starts with some eejit on Facebook.

So stop believing the chalk marking, cable ties, ribbon BULLSH1T
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/colored-stickers-target-homes-dog-owners/
    https://www.aap.com.au/dog-theft-marker-or-myth-what-a-pet-tag-around-a-fence-means/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I hope you are ok.

I really hope you notified the Gardai.

If there are Community Pages for that area - I would notify them as well.

A woman walking on her own with their dog might not have been so lucky.

Common tactic is that the kids distract and call the dog over and then they have it while the guy is talking to you or the householder where they have called to.

Do not let your dogs out of your sight.Do not leave them in the garden or your van on their own.

If you look at what happened yesterday to the GSD 7 month old pup yesterday in Wexford, it would upset you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

anewme wrote: »
    I hope you are ok.

I really hope you notified the Gardai.

If there are Community Pages for that area - I would notify them as well.

A woman walking on her own with their dog might not have been so lucky.

Common tactic is that the kids distract and call the dog over and then they have it while the guy is talking to you or the householder where they have called to.

Do not let your dogs out of your sight.Do not leave them in the garden or your van on their own.

If you look at what happened yesterday to the GSD 7 month old pup yesterday in Wexford, it would upset you.

Thanks. I think you nailed the tactics in play here. I have not reported this to the Garda, but I think I will. In the days following this I had to put my other 11 year old Lurcher down, so my head is a total , total mess right now. Writing that down on boards and reading it has made me think that I should make a report and just get a record of this happening.
    Why should we all be so powerless in the face of this, I'm bloody upset , but will give the cops a call shortly when my head is better.

Very sorry to hear about your Lurcher. You should definitely file a report with as much detail as possible. It might save some other person the heartache of their pet stolen by these thugs.. I would also urge you to report it to a Community Page so that a warning can be given to people walking on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

frillyleaf wrote: »
    What is with all the dogs being stolen at them moment? Why are so many suddenly going missing?

these incidents maybe occur due to the pandemic situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭BnB

........ farmyards and pounds full of them for free or an adoption fee... .

They are not.... and that is what I believe is the root of the problem.

There aren't a fraction of the amount of litters of pups being born now that there were 10 or 20 years ago. I think to some extent the animal welfare message of people getting their dogs neutered has actually nearly now been a victim of it's own success.

I have been keeping my eye out for a pup for the last 7 or 8 months and I haven't got even a sniff of anything. I am living out the country and know a lot of people in the area and put the word out that I am looking for a pup if anyone has a litter. I also scoured Donedeal dairly for a few months hoping I could find someone genuine who just has a litter of pups from a family dog, but it's very hard to find and believe that with the amount of traders up there. And anything that looks remotely genuine is snapped up in a matter of minutes.

RE the pounds, they have very little as well. Particularly of pups (I want to get a pup so that s/he can grow up with young kids)

The prices on DD are shocking. I regularly see fashionable breeds like golden retrievers advertised for up to 2k and they would be all sold often in less than a day. But right now, if you really want a pup for your family, it is almost the only place you will get one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I've deleted posts about certain ethnic minorities.
    Any more and I'm issuing bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Does anyone have an answer for this?

Yes, boards, adverts and done deal are sister companies

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I've deleted posts about certain ethnic minorities.
    Any more and I'm issuing bans.

So you deleted my post, which is 100% true and accurate and happened to me directly, which I am about to file with the Garda.
    Because we cannot talk about reality anymore.
    I have no hate in my heart for any group. But reality is reality.

Modding like this is a metaphor for the entire issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

So you deleted my post, which is 100% true and accurate and happened to me directly, which I am about to file with the Garda.
    Because we cannot talk about reality anymore.
    I have no hate in my heart for any group. But reality is reality.

Modding like this is a metaphor for the entire issue.

Your post was racist towards the ethnic group in question. That's why I removed it. If you wish to question mod decisions then take it to pms.
    Please don't argue a mod decision on thread.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Your post was racist towards the ethnic group in question. That's why I removed it. If you wish to question mod decisions then take it to pms.
    Please don't argue a mod decision on thread.

Lol, you deleted my last comment also.

2020 is an absurd clown world. People try to steal my dog, and Im a racist. God bring me back to the 90's.

Now Ill accept my banning proudly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

RickDeckard take a week ban from the forum for arguing with a mod onthread. If you post in this thread when your ban is up I will make it permanent .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Now I wonder what community live in that part of the world? No arrests made is a joke too, surely the dogs weren’t wondering the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

silver2020 wrote: »
    So stop believing the chalk marking, cable ties, ribbon BULLSH1T

You think it's just kids? I live near a very small village and we've got local pictures of chalk on fences in the next village which I do think is nonsense (it's been raining constantly). But my next door neighbour who owns 2 lovely golden retrievers had a cable tie put on his fence yesterday.

Kids don't really use FB, and I think someone would have spotted a teen putting a cable tie on this fence the way the house is positioned right in the center of the village, so my feeling is it was done in the middle of the night, which seems like a lot of effort for a very low return prank.

Update from Gardai

Gardaí have seized 10 dogs that are believed to be stolen following a search in Rathkeale, Co. Limerick on August 1, 2020.

Through initial enquiries, Gardaí have since reunited 1 of the dogs, a Cavalier King Charles, with its owner but Gardaí are now appealing to help trace the owners of the other 9 dogs.

No arrests have been made but Gardaí are following a definite line of enquiry and expect to progress the investigation in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Update from Gardai

Gardaí have seized 10 dogs that are believed to be stolen following a search in Rathkeale, Co. Limerick on August 1, 2020.

Through initial enquiries, Gardaí have since reunited 1 of the dogs, a Cavalier King Charles, with its owner but Gardaí are now appealing to help trace the owners of the other 9 dogs.

No arrests have been made but Gardaí are following a definite line of enquiry and expect to progress the investigation in the near future.

Rathkeale, that's a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Mav11 wrote: »

Careful, you’ll get your post deleted for pointing out the bleeding obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭BnB

Update from Gardai

That is great news. I was looking for a dog for a good few months and I was checking Donedeal daily (gave up eventually). I had a saved search that looked for any dogs in Clare / Limerick / Tipp / Galway .

Almost every single day, a new ad would pop up in the Rathkeale area. Almost always, a span new DD account with a phone number that wasn't used before. Location would be Newcastlewest, Adare, Ballingarry, Athea, Abbeyfeale (although very rarely Rathkeale). Same style of writing, same grammar mistakes.

In terms of quantity, from looking at Clare/Limerick/Tipp/Galway at least 1 in every 3 ads that came up were from this pocket of Co Limerick. There is no doubt that the vast majority of those were from the same person or at the very least the same family/organisation. I hope the News above is the beginning of the end for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You think it's just kids? I live near a very small village and we've got local pictures of chalk on fences in the next village which I do think is nonsense (it's been raining constantly). But my next door neighbour who owns 2 lovely golden retrievers had a cable tie put on his fence yesterday.

Kids don't really use FB, and I think someone would have spotted a teen putting a cable tie on this fence the way the house is positioned right in the center of the village, so my feeling is it was done in the middle of the night, which seems like a lot of effort for a very low return prank.

Curiously, no one seems to have spotted anyone putting this particular cable tie up, why would a teen be spotted yet no one else??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

FB is not the only social media outlet out there.

Think very basic logic -

1. How would you see a cable tie in the middle of the night.

2. A cable tie woudl eb failr y obvious to a home owner in the daytime - doh, they'll remove it.

3. Chalk marking wash away very quickly

4. The same utter sh1te hysterical nonsense has been going around for YEARS, and all over the world (the names change) yet not one single verified case.

5. Its bullsh1t. Pure utter scaremongering bullsh1t

Have read of these and you'll see how such rubbish has been doing the rounds for years and years.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/grab-and-go-code-chalkers/
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sticker-shock/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Mav11 wrote: »

Isn't it just. Pavee point staying very quiet..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

All I know is that if I see something dodgy or something was to happen to me or my dogs my first port of call would be the guards - not posting on FB or posting here instead. Like post after by all means but it kind of helps to report a crime /potential crime as soon as it happens.. not hold out until Dublin Live /your local county equivalent sees your post on FB and picks it up for their latest click bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

FB is not the only social media outlet out there.

Think very basic logic -

1. How would you see a cable tie in the middle of the night.

2. A cable tie woudl eb failr y obvious to a home owner in the daytime - doh, they'll remove it.

3. Chalk marking wash away very quickly

4. The same utter sh1te hysterical nonsense has been going around for YEARS, and all over the world (the names change) yet not one single verified case.

Have read of these and you'll see how such rubbish has been doing the rounds for years and years.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/grab-and-go-code-chalkers/
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sticker-shock/

Ah but but my wife's best friends aunts cousin twice removed saw it on the Bookface. Must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I get it, but it still doesn't explain who put a cable tie there and why. It's not a funny prank unless you have special needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Isn't it just. Pavee point staying very quiet..

Their silence is always deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

BnB wrote: »
    They are not.... and that is what I believe is the root of the problem.

There aren't a fraction of the amount of litters of pups being born now that there were 10 or 20 years ago. I think to some extent the animal welfare message of people getting their dogs neutered has actually nearly now been a victim of it's own success.

I have been keeping my eye out for a pup for the last 7 or 8 months and I haven't got even a sniff of anything. I am living out the country and know a lot of people in the area and put the word out that I am looking for a pup if anyone has a litter. I also scoured Donedeal dairly for a few months hoping I could find someone genuine who just has a litter of pups from a family dog, but it's very hard to find and believe that with the amount of traders up there. And anything that looks remotely genuine is snapped up in a matter of minutes.

RE the pounds, they have very little as well. Particularly of pups (I want to get a pup so that s/he can grow up with young kids)

The prices on DD are shocking. I regularly see fashionable breeds like golden retrievers advertised for up to 2k and they would be all sold often in less than a day. But right now, if you really want a pup for your family, it is almost the only place you will get one.

Have you gone to a rescue/filled out an online adoption form?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I get it, but it still doesn't explain who put a cable tie there and why. It's not a funny prank unless you have special needs.

Red-Carded, this post is deeply offensive to people with special needs. The posting quality in this thread in general leaves a lot to be desired. Unless a lot of people clean up their posting style, I foresee this thread being closed soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I contacted DoneDeal and asked if, in the light of recent events, they might consider stopping the sale/offering of live animals on their site.

I won't post their reply here, but the main points were :
    • They are taking it seriously and have had many internal discussions.
    • To the best of their knowledge these pets are not being sold on DoneDeal.
    • They are reviewing the whole dog section
    • They are committed to Animal Welfare and work closely with the Department of Agriculture, IPAAG and the ISPCA.
    • They do not believe that closing the animal section on DoneDeal is the solution.
    • They are working on ways to identify rogue sellers.
    • Any advertisement flagged to them is fully investigated and removed when they have reason for suspicion.
    • These are also flagged with the ISPCA for further investigation.

I don't doubt they are sincere in their attempts to stop it and I am well aware if the avenue of DoneDeal is closed, the types involved will just go elsewhere, but anything that makes it more difficult for them to shift stolen dogs is to be applauded I think.

Perhaps if DoneDeal had a number of similar contacts they may not just file it under cranky oul' one.

Their contact page: https://hello.donedeal.ie/hc/en-us/requests/new

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

spurious wrote: »

[*]To the best of their knowledge these pets are not being sold on DoneDeal.

Whatever about their other points, this one seems highly debatable.

Advertisement