Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

We have 36 due on one day in March :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

We have 36 due on one day in March :pac:

Are you working on a dairy farm now?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Cow with time up here pushed a big lump out her side this evening never seen anything like it, bones aren’t dropped and her bags not full but she might start to press every so often? Should I be worried? Any advice on this😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

390kid wrote: »
    Cow with time up here pushed a big lump out her side this evening never seen anything like it, bones aren’t dropped and her bags not full but she might start to press every so often? Should I be worried? Any advice on this��

Is it a ventral hernia? Best ring your vet in the morning.

tanko wrote: »
    Is it a ventral hernia? Best ring your vet in the morning.

I don’t know it’s large and soft and between her ribs and back she doesn’t seem to be in pain or uncomfortable but the old boy looked at her and said he never seen the like before. Vet in the morning so

• Advertisement

Had a cow get a hernia before calving years ago, she calved fine, sucked the calf for a few weeks and went to the factory then, she was pretty fat.

Panch18 wrote: »
    Are you working on a dairy farm now?

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Yep!

ah Skywalker you have turned to the dark side!!

first ones due here on 6th Feb, 18 held to syncro so might be fun!!!

tanko wrote: »
    Had a cow get a hernia before calving years ago, she calved fine, sucked the calf for a few weeks and went to the factory then, she was pretty fat.

Had vet out this morning he reckons it just a knock she got in the pen so fingers crossed shel be ok

grassroot1 wrote: »
    ah Skywalker you have turned to the dark side!!

first ones due here on 6th Feb, 18 held to syncro so might be fun!!!

Was a bit of a no brainer tbh, I love calving & working with calves so instead of twiddling my thumbs waiting for them to arrive here I was as well be paid for it:D
    I was actually asked on Twitter, it wasn't even something I'd thought about doing as there's very few dairies around me. Bit of a steep learning curve to go though though, they're mostly crossbreds too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Was a bit of a no brainer tbh, I love calving & working with calves so instead of twiddling my thumbs waiting for them to arrive here I was as well be paid for it:D
    I was actually asked on Twitter, it wasn't even something I'd thought about doing as there's very few dairies around me. Bit of a steep learning curve to go though though, they're mostly crossbreds too.

good on ya - best of luck with it

You seem like a great stock woman so it'll be no bother to ya

Panch18 wrote: »
    good on ya - best of luck with it

You seem like a great stock woman so it'll be no bother to ya

Hopefully!
    I'm putting in all the ICBF stuff right now to get myself sorted for calving. Totally different to home here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Yep!

She's took the soup. :D Best of luck with it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭50HX

RD10 wrote: »
    Two calved before the christmas, one this month and rest from next month.
    First year for a few years chancing charlaois on a few of the bigger cows. Using fiston.
    Easy calving i've heard
    Anyone ever have any bother with him?

Using fsz with a good while and found him very reliable with regards to the icbf figures..he's well proven

Calves come nice and easy but don't be long filling out after the first month if you've cows with milk

Two calved before the christmas, one this month and rest from next month.
    First year for a few years chancing charlaois on a few of the bigger cows. Using fiston.
    Easy calving i've heard
    Anyone ever have any bother with him?

Never had any bother with him, only used him on cows that had two calves. I'd consider him easier calved than ZAG, had more bother calving him here.
    Your bigger cows should be ideal for him. There seem to be more twins off him than normal, have even seen a couple of sets of triplets off him.
    Some of his calves aren't the quietest, i've heard a few people say this and i've noticed it here myself, have had a couple of mental ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Thats reassuring to know. Would'nt have used a whole lot of charlaois in the past, but like i said there seems to be good reviews on fiston.
    Would have last used charloais here about 7 or 8 years ago. 'Easy calving' and jesus every one of one them bar two came with a fairly big pull.
    Thankfully a set of twins from a cow that i knew was very heavy looking.
    Thats an interesting one on fiston and twins.
    Have a cow here in calf to him, quite heavy looking i've noticed for about 2 or 3 weeks now and not due for another month. i've been wondering to myself whether she'll have twins or not. Could well be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Been on holidays the last 2wks, and bloody typical 2 heifer's have calved afew weeks early ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,151 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Timmaay wrote: »
    Been on holidays the last 2wks, and bloody typical 2 heifer's have calved afew weeks early ugh.

Did you dry off completely this year or milk on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did you dry off completely this year or milk on?

2rows of april/may calvers still milking, have been OAD most of Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It's not so bad if an early calf lands and you're still milking, if they're all dry it's a right pain. If milking on late calvers be no harm to change liners beforenspring calving starts, will reduce risk of any scc carry over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭50HX

Thats reassuring to know. Would'nt have used a whole lot of charlaois in the past, but like i said there seems to be good reviews on fiston.
    Would have last used charloais here about 7 or 8 years ago. 'Easy calving' and jesus every one of one them bar two came with a fairly big pull.
    Thankfully a set of twins from a cow that i knew was very heavy looking.
    Thats an interesting one on fiston and twins.
    Have a cow here in calf to him, quite heavy looking i've noticed for about 2 or 3 weeks now and not due for another month. i've been wondering to myself whether she'll have twins or not. Could well be.

Might be worth restrictiing her feed and give here a shot of oats

The older ai men use to say there is no such thing as an easy calving CH.....fsz is as easy as you'll get i think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Nothing due to calve here till 7/2. Our heifers were synched, they are showing nicely. It will be some busy few days when that dam bursts but it’ll be quick.

Autumn calves all weaned this week so need to get that house cleaned and washed for spring.

All dosing and vaccines up to date just getting fencing done waiting for the craic to start

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Nothing due to calve here till 7/2. Our heifers were synched, they are showing nicely. It will be some busy few days when that dam bursts but it’ll be quick.

Autumn calves all weaned this week so need to get that house cleaned and washed for spring.

All dosing and vaccines up to date just getting fencing done waiting for the craic to start

Did ya stay with the HE as usual or did ya change

Arrived this afternoon to.a calf so guess we've started :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

1st calf this evening, all good heifer calf up and sucking within an hour.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Did ya stay with the HE as usual or did ya change

Used very little he this year. Going fully dairy breeding from now on.

Used very little he this year. Going fully dairy breeding from now on.

Will that cause an issue with moving on calves do you think?

Reggie. wrote: »
    Will that cause an issue with moving on calves do you think?

No all calves bought by one buyer so it’s not a concern. Good well fed calves will always move

No all calves bought by one buyer so it’s not a concern. Good well fed calves will always move

This is true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ted_182

Arrived this afternoon to.a calf so guess we've started :pac:

Top tip, keep different sets of working gear for work and home, just for your own herds bio security.

Advertisement