Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Tubing is something you'll have to learn if calving cow's, getting the biestings in in time is the best start for a calf. Same as most things it's a case of just going and doing it to learn. If in doubt perhaps do it the next time the vet is out or a neighbour who may have experience is nearby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

squinn2912 wrote: »
    First calf last night. First fatality I’m afraid. Calved 2-3 weeks early and my father got her with the calf on the slats and calfbed out. Vet came and it was an ordeal getting it back in. Same one had a calf died at 7 months last year. 2/2 disasters. Wouldn’t be long putting you off giving second chances. No springing no nothing and she was checked yesterday morning. Grim.

How is she today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭squinn2912

whelan2 wrote: »
    How is she today?

Thanks for asking lad yea she’s grand injected her she’s eating well and rough to inject so it’s a pain but a good sign. Awful pity her grandmother ad mother are excellent sucklers and so is her sister. She’s a tastier beast than any of them but not over muscled either. Ah well not so bad she’s a good, sellable cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Just in from calving number 2. This one went better. First calver needed a bit of a pull but nothing major. Another heifer calf.
    Time for an hours sleep before getting up for work. The joys of it. ��

See the calf cards now have the dam breed on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I ordered the Trusti yesterday. I did think of ordering the replacement tubing only, thinking being that the lid would fit onto the shoof feeder (and spare me a few bob).

Horror story from this link in 2017 - anyone experience this happening?
    http://www.forum4farming.com/forum/index.php?threads/stomach-tube-stuck-in-calf.14726/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

First of the year here nice little Hamlet heifer, the livelyst thing I ever saw, up and sucking in 15 min.Would have preferred a bull but can't have it every way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I ordered the Trusti yesterday. I did think of ordering the replacement tubing only, thinking being that the lid would fit onto the shoof feeder (and spare me a few bob).

http://www.forum4farming.com/forum/index.php?threads/stomach-tube-stuck-in-calf.14726/

Where did you order the trusti tuber from? Get a good price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Where did you order the trusti tuber from? Get a good price?

AgriDirect €75.00, painlessly extracted with a credit card. Justified the expense by having saved a few bob changing insurance provider.

I always have a small plastic bottle, with an flip open cap, of sunflower oil for dipping he tube into. It helps with easing the tube down their throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

AgriDirect €75.00, painlessly extracted with a credit card. Justified the expense by having saved a few bob changing insurance provider.

I always have a small plastic bottle, with an flip open cap, of sunflower oil for dipping he tube into. It helps with easing the tube down their throat.

Picked up a new tip today. Will try the sunflower oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Base price

See the calf cards now have the dam breed on them
    It is something that I remember you suggesting on here a couple of years ago. Someone is listening to you Whelan ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It happened to me many years ago stomach tubing a calf for a neighbour one Christmas day and he wouldn't get the vet to look at it.
    Got real abuse over it, saved many calves for him over the years but didn't bother anymore.
    Best idea is do nothing for no one

wrangler wrote: »
    It happened to me many years ago stomach tubing a calf for a neighbour one Christmas day and he wouldn't get the vet to look at it.
    Got real abuse over it, saved many calves for him over the years but didn't bother anymore.
    You really are turning into the stereotypical grumpy old man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

Base price wrote: »
    You really are turning into the stereotypical grumpy old man :)

Calving started now unexpectedly. Have 3 cows due next week, but one I wasn't expecting for a while decided to calve on the slats. Twin bulls but she's only taken to one of them so that has made for a fun evening.

emaherx wrote: »
    Calving started now unexpectedly. Have 3 cows due next week, but one I wasn't expecting for a while decided to calve on the slats. Twin bulls but she's only taken to one of them so that has made for a fun evening.
    The mild weather has brought calving forward - nature ignores the calendar :)
    Did you try hanging/rubbing the afterbirth on the other calf?

Did you try hanging/rubbing the afterbirth on the other calf?

Yes, and the cow is licking him, but won't let him suck. They are fed for now anyway.

Yes, and the cow is licking him, but won't let him suck. They are fed for now anyway.
    Hopefully she will settle down as she is probably confused with two. I would take both calves away from her to an area where she can see them but not get to them or them to her. Absence makes the heart grow stronger ;)
    Edit - meant to say, don't give her any nuts/meal until tomorrow morning, then give her a bucket with nuts and let the rejected calf out to her first, and see how it goes. I'm presuming that she isn't wicked towards you or the calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

wrangler wrote: »

The old Pfizer tubes attached to the bag were the job in terms of a smooth bulb, slow going with thick biestings tho and a pain in the ass to hold the bag and a lively calf tho. Use the the tube that comes with the speedy feeder now, the bulb is fairly thick tho, I think the idea is the thicker bulb reduces the risk of it going down the windpipe

Hopefully she will settle down as she is probably confused with two. I would take both calves away from her to an area where she can see them but not get to them or them to her. Absence makes the heart grow stronger ;)
    Edit - meant to say, don't give her any nuts/meal until tomorrow morning, then give her a bucket with nuts and let the rejected calf out to her first, and see how it goes. I'm presuming that she isn't wicked towards you or the calf.

No she's quite good to be fair, like you said she's confused by 2 of them. They are all lying together now I'll leave them as is untill tomorrow as it's a cold foggy night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

A calving on Rare Breed now

tanko wrote: »
    A calving on Rare Breed now

Watching liverpool. Watching a cow calving out the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Throw a bit of straw under the window for the calf:pac:

at least u have ur priorities right lol, go on the pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

First causultie of the spring, dead heifer calf that was a twin to a bull.
    Left the yard at 8 to get some tea. Back at 9.15 and she had the 2 calves out.
    Not ideal but it's not the end if the world.
    Another one had calved aswell, all good there

4 today. Getting into the swing of it now

Feeding oats and soya 2 weeks out from calving. Cows are spitting them out and calves are hopping around in no length

No she's quite good to be fair, like you said she's confused by 2 of them. They are all lying together now I'll leave them as is untill tomorrow as it's a cold foggy night.

Had one like that last year. Luckily the rejected calf was a great greedy calf and he mastered robbing a suck. Other poor creatur took joint I’ll then died about 8 weeks old. She rejected the remaining calf and I injected her to throw the calf. She’s in someone’s freezer now and that’s the spot for her. Ignorant oul thing anyway

• Advertisement

I nearly friggin calved myself when Bobby smashed that in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Nice handy heifer this morning to get the ball rolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Starting earlier is not such a bad plan now you'll notice some difference in weaning weights come the fall

great when outside calving works out

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Starting earlier is not such a bad plan now you'll notice some difference in weaning weights come the fall

We'll know in a few months. No point calving in January if you won't have grass for them until May. I'll either have cows getting too poor/drying up/not going back in calf or a whopper of a meal bill if that's the case. Anyway I shouldn't be complaining, any day they come alive and healthy I'll take them.

• Advertisement

High bike wrote: »
    great when outside calving works out

Once they get up and suck there's rarely a bother with them.

Once they get up and suck there's rarely a bother with them.
    had one calve inside yesterday and she’s gone out the gap today

Yous can all relax a bit more now me and this girl are on speaking terms at last! One to go... then calve them all

How is she getting on with the twins now?

How is she getting on with the twins now?

Struggling with the one she took too, we are on the life-aids, it's a very small calf. The other one is fine and a considerably bigger calf, but think I have a pet now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Third calf of the year born last night. Another heifer by Knell, first time heifer- calved herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

4 so far, 1 by Lm2014, 1 by CWI and 2 by adx stock bull. All calved away themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    4 so far, 1 by Lm2014, 1 by CWI and 2 by adx stock bull. All calved away themselves.

What do you think of CWI, have you any cows off him?
    Would he work best on smaller muscly cows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mac Taylor wrote: »

Many heifers and bulls, have about 9 heifers and 3 bulls so far 😂

Many heifers and bulls, have about 9 heifers and 3 bulls so far ��

I’ve 6 calved since November.....3 bulls & 3 heifers:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ive rarely seen a bad cwi cow, they do bring height but have great calving ability

Can’t really say....I used him last year and got a pbr bull (not a bad calf) and this year I got a heifer.

The cow I had put him on is very consistent regardless of what I use on her:D

Going by his linear scoring I’d say your on the ball, but I’d like to see for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Many heifers and bulls, have about 9 heifers and 3 bulls so far 😂

Similar , 10 heiffers 4 bulls so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Kicked off here yesterday. Lm first Calfer had a Lm heifer. Calf up and sucking within an hour. Beauty of the Lm. Installed a calfing gate this year and what a blessing it is. So much safer as cows head is held and shes going nowhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Kicked off here yesterday. Lm first Calfer had a Lm heifer. Calf up and sucking within an hour. Beauty of the Lm. Installed a calfing gate this year and what a blessing it is. So much safer as cows head is held and shes going nowhere
    Thinking of making a pen and putting one in
    How far from a wall does it need to be?

Mine is the dividing gate type one. All in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Mine is the dividing gate type one. All in one.
    How wide is your pen?
    Have you much space left when the cow is locked in?

How wide is your pen?
    Have you much space left when the cow is locked in?
    My pen is 13 ft wide by 20 ft long. Gate is 13 foot but can extend out further. Once the cow is locked in the head lock she is held. Pull around the middle gate and tie a rope from this gate over her back and attach to gate or wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I would love to know how in the name of jebus people were managing without a calving gate?
    actually scrap that I was that soldier one time..... life is too short

• Advertisement

You'd want 14ft at least I'd say.

Advertisement