Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel’s Avengers (PS4, Xbox One, Stadia, PC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Played a few hours of it tonight (I preordered a few weeks ago).

*long exhale*

I actually quite enjoy it. It's okay. The opening took a while to get going, but once you start getting into the missions, it seems fine. The story is fairly well presented and acted, Kamala is very likeable. It's... fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Penn wrote: »
    Played a few hours of it tonight (I preordered a few weeks ago).

*long exhale*

I actually quite enjoy it. It's okay. The opening took a while to get going, but once you start getting into the missions, it seems fine. The story is fairly well presented and acted, Kamala is very likeable. It's... fine.

So it's worth waiting until after Christmas when it's €30?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I do in the Lego games haha but at least I don't have to pay €10 to unlock a character in that.

Aren't all characters free in this game and don't require unlocking? Or am I missing something? I thought it was just the cosmetic junk you had to either grind for, or pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I watched some game play on Twitch and YouTube and I'm not really impressed with the game.

It seem more like a Ms Marvel game with the Avengers making guest appearances. When I saw the launch trailer it was Capt America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and Black Widow but instead we get Kamala as the main character.

I don't hate Kamala but I don't know her ether. When Ultimate Alliance 3 came out they had a large roster of new and old characters and let you pick who you wanted on your team to play as but this game chooses the character you play as in the main story missions.

I think I'll cancel my preorder and maybe pick it up later when it's on sale.

So it's worth waiting until after Christmas when it's €30?

I wouldn't go that far just yet, but I'll know closer to the time :D
    Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Aren't all characters free in this game and don't require unlocking? Or am I missing something? I thought it was just the cosmetic junk you had to either grind for, or pay for.

Yeah as far as I know, the DLC characters will all be free, but for cosmetics for them you have to pay €10 to unlock their Hero Challenge Card, which doesn't even give you the cosmetics, but means you can unlock the cosmetics through challenges, and if you complete all the challenges, you get your €10 worth of credits back to unlock the Hero Challenge Card for another DLC character. The cosmetic stuff is mostly just skins and emotes, but also different finishing moves for your character (which are neither stronger nor better than the base one the character comes with, they're just different moves).

But really it's a roundabout way of saying they're giving the characters as free DLC while locking everything to do with the character behind a paywall.

• Advertisement

de5p0i1er wrote: »
    I watched some game play on Twitch and YouTube and I'm not really impressed with the game.

It seem more like a Ms Marvel game with the Avengers making guest appearances. When I saw the launch trailer it was Capt America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and Black Widow but instead we get Kamala as the main character.

I don't hate Kamala but I don't know her ether. When Ultimate Alliance 3 came out they had a large roster of new and old characters and let you pick who you wanted on your team to play as but this game chooses the character you play as in the main story missions.

I think I'll cancel my preorder and maybe pick it up later when it's on sale.

The main story definitely seems focused on Kamala, and forces you to play as specific characters at different times. The longevity of the game though will be the war table missions or whatever post-game and doing multiplayer missions online, and in those I think you can play as whoever you want all the time, level up whatever characters you want etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So 1 full day of playing it and I have to say I'm enjoying it so far. I am up to a point where I have a good few characters unlocked so I will do some levelling on them later on and see how well the game opens up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I did not like Kamala at all in the beta, she was trying to hard to be funny and witty and just didn't work for me, found her annoying and typical. Also here voice actor wasn't great, could be just the beta audio mix though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I did not like Kamala at all in the beta, she was trying to hard to be funny and witty and just didn't work for me, found her annoying and typical. Also here voice actor wasn't great, could be just the beta audio mix though.

She annoyed me in the beta but has really grown on me now. Shes not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

She likes that in Avengers Assemble as well. Forever taking selfies

• Advertisement

Finished out the main campaign last night, it was really good IMO. Hopefully now the game opens up a bit :)

Kimbot wrote: »
    Finished out the main campaign last night, it was really good IMO. Hopefully now the game opens up a bit :)

Did it feel like a single player campaign or was it grinding and just mash X?

Did it feel like a single player campaign or was it grinding and just mash X?

TBH I didnt think it was a button masher. Once you start opening up the characters and unlocking their skills you tend to think out your fights a little bit better. I tried a few missions after the story to level all chars to about power level 20. The one problem I have with the game is that lets say you go into a mission playing as Iron Man, you then have 3 of your own chars joining you but only Iron Man will have gear drops and level up etc.

The one problem I have with the game is that lets say you go into a mission playing as Iron Man, you then have 3 of your own chars joining you but only Iron Man will have gear drops and level up etc.

Yeah I kinda feel the same. I don't mind the gear drops as such, as I'd much rather gear drops for characters I want to play as (whereas there as some who post-game, I likely won't play as), but AI controlled characters on your team should still get XP and meet challenge card requirements for killing enemies, as they are killing enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

TBH I didnt think it was a button masher. Once you start opening up the characters and unlocking their skills you tend to think out your fights a little bit better. I tried a few missions after the story to level all chars to about power level 20. The one problem I have with the game is that lets say you go into a mission playing as Iron Man, you then have 3 of your own chars joining you but only Iron Man will have gear drops and level up etc.

This is spot on. The game is far from a button masher once you have a few skills opened up.

I'm playing as Thor mainly and have him built for crowd control and applying status effects/debuffs on enemies and there is a decent amount of thought needed when deciding what skills to pop and rotate based on enemy types/volumes etc. The same character can also be built to provide pure support through ally buffs and heals, or you can go for a ranged crit build if that's your thing. The game is surprisingly deep once you level up a bit, and far from the button masher it appears to be at the start when you only have access to basic combos and the stock variations of each skill.

Having a great time with it to be honest, and I was someone who was hugely sceptical going in. Main complaint I have at the moment is lack of mission variety at endgame, but with tweaked versions of Hive missions and raid like activities going, hopefully that changes soon.

Yeah I'm enjoying the game too. Camera is a pain though, and there are serious framerate and audio issues throughout.

Am I right in saying you can only earn points on a challenge card by the daily/weekly challenges? Because by my calculations, that means you could only earn a max of 64 points per week, so it'd take more than 3 weeks worth of challenges to get the 200 challenge points to fill the challenge card for one hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Am I right in saying you can only earn points on a challenge card by the daily/weekly challenges? Because by my calculations, that means you could only earn a max of 64 points per week, so it'd take more than 3 weeks worth of challenges to get the 200 challenge points to fill the challenge card for one hero.

Yep that looks correct

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

How many hours of play do you reckon the current weekly challenge takes?

Yep that looks correct

Damn. Kinda sucks. Though it might make me play as others in some of the side missions and work on levelling them up in the background.

Also, the challenges don't seem that hard, so when each new DLC character is added, I don't think filling out their challenge card before the next hero is released will be that much of an issue. Doing 2 or 3 missions with them each day should be enough to get the challenge points to get the points for the next DLC character before they're out. Only thing that's going to throw it off for people is using the points to buy stuff from the shop.

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    How many hours of play do you reckon the current weekly challenge takes?

Doesn't take that long. I completed both Thor's weekly ones and one daily challenge in just a few missions. You can also refresh to change the challenges if any are too hard but I think you're stuck with the new ones then, can't refresh twice.

Most of them are "Defeat 20 enemies airborne" or "Defeat 25 enemies using your heroic attack". Nothing major. Even jumping into the HARM missions would get them easily enough.

Noticing serious issues since updating today. Button presses not registering, environment's not loading in, enemies not taking damage. Thats just the biggies as well, lots of other smaller issues that weren't present (at least for me) prior to the patch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are some of the xbox achievements still not unlocking?

Oh man this story is dull... I thought it would be the one thing I'd like but Kamala is awful, whoever is playing her is up and down with the lines, she'll be sad and the end of the sentence be happy... it's all over the shop.

"I'm sad Bruce (crying) I'm a freak, WOOO I'm an Avenger, yeaaaahhhhh"

The counter/dodge mechanic is definitely the weakest part of the gameplay. Between the number of enemies, enemies you can't see due to camera or flying enemies, projectiles, and especially projectiles which move slowly... there's almost no point using it unless you know you're pretty much one-on-one with an enemy. I had a mission earlier with a random modifier that projectiles do increased damage and there was just no point. Had to quit the mission altogether. You cannot dodge projectiles effectively enough.

Also, the abilities recharge far too slowly. Even with skills to speed the charge, they're so damn slow.

The counter/dodge mechanic is definitely the weakest part of the gameplay. Between the number of enemies, enemies you can't see due to camera or flying enemies, projectiles, and especially projectiles which move slowly... there's almost no point using it unless you know you're pretty much one-on-one with an enemy. I had a mission earlier with a random modifier that projectiles do increased damage and there was just no point. Had to quit the mission altogether. You cannot dodge projectiles effectively enough.

Also, the abilities recharge far too slowly. Even with skills to speed the charge, they're so damn slow.

Spec into skills that drop heroic orbs and stack either heroic charge perks on your gear or flat cool down reductions.

I've a Thor build that puts out crazy stun damage, so I can pull off constant takedowns that drop heroic orbs every time. Have a couple of gear pieces then with one giving me an 18% cool down reduction on heroics, and the other granting a 12%chance to trigger a heroic burst on completion of a signature combo. Between the amount of orbs dropping and the perks activating, I pretty much have access to heroics whenever I need them. That's Thor at level 50 though with most of my gear up around the soft cap power level of 130, at earlier levels I definitely felt the cool cooldowns were too long.

I've a similar build for Black Widow in the works, and have seen a couple of Cap builds that give him constant up time on his heroics as he is able to produce a constant stream of heroic orbs, so its definitely doable with the right combo of skills and gear.

Definitely agree on the dodge mechanic being pretty much useless in a lot of scenarios. Can be especially painful when playing with a character whose intrinsic meter overcharge depletes when taking damage. I pretty much abandoned the dodge mechanic for this reason alone, and rely purely on Odinforce when using Thor to mitigate incoming attacks as you don't need to be as careful with the timing.

goon_magee wrote: »
    Spec into skills that drop heroic orbs and stack either heroic charge perks on your gear or flat cool down reductions.

I've a Thor build that puts out crazy stun damage, so I can pull off constant takedowns that drop heroic orbs every time. Have a couple of gear pieces then with one giving me an 18% cool down reduction on heroics, and the other granting a 12%chance to trigger a heroic burst on completion of a signature combo. Between the amount of orbs dropping and the perks activating, I pretty much have access to heroics whenever I need them. That's Thor at level 50 though with most of my gear up around the soft cap power level of 130, at earlier levels I definitely felt the cool cooldowns were too long.

It does seem to be improving as I level up, and a loading screen tip last night said that your Might rating affects the cooldowns too so I guess I'll try keep an eye on it. Just always feels like in some fights where you have a few waves of enemies, I'm cautious of using those skills in case there's another wave and fear they won't recharge in time.

Mostly playing as Thor as well, have him around level 30 / power level 57 I think. His hammer spin attack is great for stuns/shields/mobs.

It does seem to be improving as I level up, and a loading screen tip last night said that your Might rating affects the cooldowns too so I guess I'll try keep an eye on it. Just always feels like in some fights where you have a few waves of enemies, I'm cautious of using those skills in case there's another wave and fear they won't recharge in time.

Mostly playing as Thor as well, have him around level 30 / power level 57 I think. His hammer spin attack is great for stuns/shields/mobs.

For sure, I was hanging on to my abilities for dear life in the early game for the same reason, never knew what was round the corner!

That hammer spin combo is fantastic yeah, great for getting yourself overcharged as well. Get yourself overcharged via hammer spins, then hit god blast with the 20% extra damage when overcharged skill active, and the numbers Thor puts out is just insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

So whats the overall feeling from those playing this now? A week on from release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Damn I was hoping that
    Captain America was going to be revealed as a brainwashed AIM agent & you'd have to take him back to Pym so he could reverse MODOK's control using nano-ants.

Advertisement