Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had some of the new Brú products that aren't the main bottle range in Bar Rua. They meet the standards the old Carrig stuff had. Not seen any of these canned / bottled yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

L1011 wrote: »
    Had some of the new Brú products that aren't the main bottle range in Bar Rua. They meet the standards the old Carrig stuff had. Not seen any of these canned / bottled yet though
    The black IPA in the line up? On the beer snob podcast they said they expected "Coalface" to be back as part of the merged line up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Beavertown and Wander Beyond collaboration - "Gluttony" - a blackberry pancake breakfast barley wine. 330ml can, 15% ABV. Bottled on 21/01/2019 and purchased sometime last year and saved for a night when I finally gathered up the courage to open it! A unique experience.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Decided to treat myself tonight, so it's a 2016 200 Fathoms. My only complaint is how difficult it was to get the bloody wax seal off to get at the beer. Otherwise it's pretty much what you'd hope for - rich, boozy and a hint of bitterness at the end. This definitely has improved with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Wax seals on bottles are a royal pain in the arse.
    Extra points for wax sealed flip top caps!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wax seals on bottles are a royal pain in the arse.
    Extra points for wax sealed flip top caps!

Oh? What kind of bottles are they?
    Hate wooden corkscrews on wine though, give that marketing trick up.

Pizza tonight in Fran Well with a couple of Chieftain IPA.

IMG-20200805-183634.jpg

It could have been cooked longer, and not the type of broccoli that I was expecting. Still, very well run by the staff, and well worth the visit.

Edit: and again I post on the wrong thread. Sorry mods.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh? What kind of bottles are they?

Like a Grolsch top but dipped in wax.
    Sounds ridiculous but I have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Got a can of something called Steam Brew Imperial IPA in Lidl, my god it was vile. Had a few sips and then puoued the rest straight down the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Got a can of something called Steam Brew Imperial IPA in Lidl, my god it was vile. Had a few sips and then puoued the rest straight down the sink.

Obviously we all have different tastes, but I wonder if it was a dodgy can. I picked one can up out of curiosity when shopping. I thought it was OK - maybe worth trying one more before ruling it out

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I wonder if it was a dodgy can.
    From a brewery as huge as Eichbaum that's extremely unlikely.

• Advertisement

I had it the other week - I wouldn't go as far as vile, just tasteless. It didn't encourage me to try any of their other offerings which are in Lidl this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

speaking of which any decent new beers in lidls these days in general? thinking of taking a trip down later...

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I had it the other week - I wouldn't go as far as vile, just tasteless. It didn't encourage me to try any of their other offerings which are in Lidl this week.

It tasted like a cheap lager with a huge alcohol hit(7.5%), nothing like an IPA. I was drinking some really nice beers from the White Hag boxtravaganza right before it so that probably didn't help.

Beanstalk wrote: »
    speaking of which any decent new beers in lidls these days in general? thinking of taking a trip down later...

12 acres Winter is coming, 12 acres The far side, 4 Provcinces Laidir for me anyway.

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Irish Craft Beers special last monday, so Ballykilcavan, 12 Acres and Four Provinces on offer.

I enjoyed a Pyynikin Black Lager last time around. Got more to try again anyway. I think it's (Finnish) craft, but then the steam boat rubbish is marketed as "craft" too.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

It tasted like a cheap lager with a huge alcohol hit(7.5%), nothing like an IPA. I was drinking some really nice beers from the White Hag boxtravaganza right before it so that probably didn't help.

Yeah, that makes sense - it was my first beer on a hot day so I may be giving it too much credit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Had one before. I wouldn't call it an IPA, more a strong lager in the vein of stuff like that Argus Strong or Baltika 9. Subtle it ain't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I had O Brother's Neon Twisted Love last night. I really enjoyed it - super flavourful and one of the best "feeling" beers I've had in some time. I had their On Reflection a number of weeks ago, and thought it was super. They don't seem to pop up in discussions too much, but I will definitely be keeping an eye for their offerings when I'm out again.

I picked up another couple of Whiplash's offerings. I've really enjoyed nearly all of them.

A funny problem is that I can seldom remember what of theirs I have had without Untappd. I bought a couple of cans last week (didn't drink them yet, so not on Untappd) and picked up a couple more today. I couldn't remember if I had already bought them before since the names are odd/not memorable and the can art is not exactly distinguishable (in my view). They cans all blend into one despite being amazing can art.

They’re one I always mean to try and never do. My few cans last night were just over the road had a few Elevation and Mammoth from Wicklow Wolf. The latter is very nice it’s been ages since I had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Lidls craft beer special offers includes increasing the price of some of their own brand stuff. Great deal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lidl's never great value for non own brand beer either; Rye River Darragh is 4-for-10 virtually eveywhere and its now the VAT reduced equivalent of 2.99 in Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Doing a craft beer yoke over here too. Loch Lomond seems to be the brewery so picked up a few. All IPA's as usual

Bit of a random mix someone gave to me a while back that have been sitting in the fridge for the last few weeks.

Siege Pale Ale
    Pretty good, have had a few of their beers recently and while not flashy they're always nice and fresh.
    Heaneys Way Over Yonder
    Unremarkable amber ale.
    Hopcity Hopbit IPA
    Mediocre IPA that's is perhaps too strong at 7.5%, might be nicer at a lower abv.
    Wylam Cycles of Amplification
    Pick of the bunch, 7.5% and doesnt feel like it at all. Very nice stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

Just finishing a bottle. IMO, by a distance, O'Hara's best. Been drinking 51st State , Hop obsession etc. They are nice but summer beer.....

Leann Follain is a stout/beer for all seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yeah, at 4 x 500ml bottles for 10 euro it's hard to beat for value. Quality quality beer.

L1011 wrote: »
    Lidl's never great value for non own brand beer either; Rye River Darragh is 4-for-10 virtually eveywhere and its now the VAT reduced equivalent of 2.99 in Lidl.
    They sometimes have them 4 for 10, but then limit it - i.e. 4 for 10 is across the McGargles, O'Hara's, Multinational's, but it's 4 for 10 McGargles, or 4 for 10 O'Hara's, 4 for 10 Guinness, so you can't do one of each like Tesco. Been nearly caught on that once, and the father in law definitely has a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

On a Belgian kick at the moment
    Orval, kwak and Trappist rochefort-lovely stuff
    Done with IPAs and DIPAS , stomach in bits and all taste much the same to me these days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    On a Belgian kick at the moment
    Orval, kwak and Trappist rochefort-lovely stuff
    Done with IPAs and DIPAS , stomach in bits and all taste much the same to me these days

Do people ever find Belgian ales too sweet?

I have often seen added sugar as an ingredient.

Geuze wrote: »
    Do people ever find Belgian ales too sweet?

I have often seen added sugar s an ingredient.

Yes, lots of people do. I sometimes do.
    I like the dryness of Orval.

But the thing is, all alcohol is converted from sugar, whether that's malt sugar or table sugar or whatever. What will really affect the sweetness is how much of the total sugars are fermented out - it doesn't make much difference what kind of sugar it is.
    Long way of saying that the sweetness of some Belgian beers isn't really down to added sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, lots of people do. I sometimes do.
    I like the dryness of Orval.

But the thing is, all alcohol is converted from sugar, whether that's malt sugar or table sugar or whatever. What will really affect the sweetness is how much of the total sugars are fermented out - it doesn't make much difference what kind of sugar it is.
    Long way of saying that the sweetness of some Belgian beers isn't really down to added sugar.

I admit I don't know a lot about brewing.

Is it possible to brew without adding sugar, i.e. just using the natural sugar in the malted barley? Does that ever happen, i.e. zero added sugar?

I had Rodenbach Grand Cru this week - lovely, dry.

Advertisement