Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Week family "Trip of a Lifetime" suggestions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Cdeb if you want to plan out and book the trip for us that would be brilliant:D
    Don't tempt me! :D The planning of a trip like this is good fun in itself. I can certainly give you an rough plan of my suggestion (overland to Beijing) if you want - it's something I've done myself (albeit solo).

For what it's worth, I think you're going about it the right way though - lots of time to plan and pick the option that suits, and to google things that might be of interest and to start pulling together a plan. The 5-year-old is probably the biggest restraint - both for the reasons others have mentioned, and also because they're 3 now and their interests will develop between now and the trip. You could even find that you might decide on a trip now, but this time next year change your mind entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

cdeb wrote: »
    Don't tempt me! :D The planning of a trip like this is good fun in itself. I can certainly give you an rough plan of my suggestion (overland to Beijing) if you want - it's something I've done myself (albeit solo).

For what it's worth, I think you're going about it the right way though - lots of time to plan and pick the option that suits, and to google things that might be of interest and to start pulling together a plan. The 5-year-old is probably the biggest restraint - both for the reasons others have mentioned, and also because they're 3 now and their interests will develop between now and the trip. You could even find that you might decide on a trip now, but this time next year change your mind entirely.

Unless the 5 years old has a massive obsession with space and only wants to go there then he'll just have to go wherever we plan on going and we'll make sure to make it as kid friendly and fun as possible:P
    The kids aren't going to enjoy going to a temple/museum every day but would enjoy experiencing different activities (animal sanctuary etc), off road treks, beach days, meeting other people, and just lots of fun.
    It's not going to be the same type of trip if it was just myself and my husband- although he'd probably wouldn't want a museum/temple every second day either:pac:
    I'd love to hear a rough plan but honestly no stress either, it be great to hear from someone who has done it. I'd worry it'd be like us booking Ireland and only going to Dublin and Galway cities and not experiencing the hidden gems around the country. i.e Donegal :)
    Thanks!

I'd love to hear a rough plan but honestly no stress either, it be great to hear from someone who has done it.
    Yerrah, sure I'll give it a go. It's obviously a lot easier as I have done it - though of course routes that operated in 2012, when I travelled, mayn't exist now. And again, fully appreciate it's the kind of trip that is either of interest or not at all of interest!

Cost - who knows what it'll be like post-covid I guess. I think I spent about €5k getting to Beijing (slightly different route). So it'd be tight, but probably doable. I don't know if all these connections are feasible (mightn't be a train every day for example) - Seat61.com is a good reference site. I've tried to give a bit of time in each place; the days listed are just the full days, but if you arrive at, say, midday, then you've an extra afternoon to explore too.

Stuff like accommodation, general safety advice, evening entertainment (again the 5-year-old makes it a bit awkward), laundry, time apart from each other, packing/unpacking, cooking dinner or eating out (the latter = culture but also cost), etc, is going to be part of the trip whatever you do, so I've ignored that. I'm sure most of the cities will have, say, zoos or cinemas with films in English and subtitled into local language. Weather in all this should be high 20s.

Day 1 is Sail/Rail to London. Always the cheap option.
    Day 2 London to Köln, and an evening train to Moscow, arriving the morning of day 4. Poland will start to feel a fair bit different (east v west). The train changes wheels at the Belarus border in mid-afternoon, which you won't have seen before. (You could fly direct to Warsaw and start there too. It'd be cheaper, even if it's cheating a bit!) Practice the Russian alphabet on the train, or try have a list of things to keep an eye out for. (Doesn't matter if you miss them - it's just a conversation starter)
    Day 5, 6, 7 - Moscow
    St Basil's, Red Square, the Kremlin, the Lenin Mausoleum, the Bolshoi Theatre (even for a look, if not a performance), and the former world's biggest McDonald's (the one there was huge queues outside when it opened post-Communism) are all very close to each other. Gorky Park in the city centre has an artificial beach, cafés, ducks, and all the other stuff you'd expect. Park Pobedy is another place to walk around but with huge Communist architecture. There's a Communist-era toy museum (I think you can play some of the games) and a cat theatre (not sure how animal welfare people would view it though). Pop into Cathedral of Christ the Saviour (or any large church) - it's amazing in itself, but it's interesting to people-watch inside too; the Russians are quite devout and it's nothing like popping into a church in Ireland. Or just hop on and off at random stops on the metro - the stations are amazing, and the tiny underground kiosks are very different too.
    Day 8 - Moscow to St Petersburg (4 hours)
    Day 9, 10, 11 - St Petersburg
    A great city. The Hermitage is the best museum in the world, or take a boat trip down the canals, or just wander the streets (every other building is (literally) a palace. The Fabergé Museum is worth a visit if you like million-pound pieces of jewellry; there's old spaceships and rockets from the original space race in the Peter and Paul area if that's of interest. A Caucasus restaurant maybe - the menu would be a mix of beef and spuds, and lamb testicles/heart and spuds, so you won't go hungry, but you can be adventurous if you want. Keep an eye out for hookahs though. Loads of parks, needless to say, some with spectacular palaces attached.
    Day 12, 13 - St Petersburg to Perm/Samara/Kazan
    About 24 hours - actually surprisingly relaxing cos you've nothing to worry about at all. The trains are slow (but always on time) and it just slows the whole pace of life down. I found the Russians quite friendly and willing to practice their English. Having some food to share is another ice-breaker. And obviously keep an eye out the window at the rural scenes. A third-class ticket is cheapest and helps meet more people (also second class is a 4-person compartment, which might be a squeeze). Russian trains are quite safe; there's a stewardess assigned to each carriage and they'll keep a firm eye on any drunks, etc.
    Day 14, 15 - Perm/Samara/Kazan
    I went to Yekaterinburg, which doesn't have much about it. I don't really know anything about these three other than that they could be a stop en route to Kazakhstan. Perm was a closed city (closed to outsiders and kept off maps) until 1990, Kazan is a Muslim city, and Samara was a World Cup host city, so each would offer something different I think.
    Day 16, 17 - P/S/K to Nur-Sultan
    About 40 hours. See above note on what to do on board. Make sure to avoid a train leaving or arriving at, say, 2am!
    Day 18, 19, 20 - Nur-sultan
    Didn't get the chance to visit, but there's some mad buildings in the city centre, including a huge tent/leisure centre with minigolf, an indoor upstairs beach, a boating river (apparently), lots of shopping, and plenty of other entertainment. All the Stan capitals are basically dictators throwing money about to keep the plebs happy - they're..different!
    Day 21, 22, 23 - Nur-Sultan to Irkutsk to Lake Baikal
    About 2½ days. Kazakhstan is surprisingly empty but I think supposed to be very scenic. A new train means new people to meet of course.
    Day 24, 25 - Lake Baikal
    One of the largest lakes in the world. Try seal spotting on a boat trip - the water is so clear you can see quite a ways down in it - or go to Olkhon Island in the middle of the lake for a local homestay and some hiking.
    Day 26, 27, 28 - Lake Baikal to Irkutsk to Ulaan Baator
    A curious thing about Russian train stations is the clocks always show Moscow time even if you're five hours ahead. So the small local stops as the route gets more scenic towards the border will tell you it's midday even when it's actually 5pm. It'll also tell how far Moscow is in kms, so you can see how far you've come.
    Day 29, 30, 31, 32 - Mongolia
    Have already some ideas on this in a previous post. Or visit nomads in their tents (or the local shaman) in the 13th Century Park - it suits them as it's extra income and they get to keep their old lifestyle. Also, the Ghenghis Khan statue is worth a visit.
    Day 33, 34 - Ulaan Baator to Beijing (24 hours or so)
    Again, some notes earlier.
    Day 35 - first full day in Beijing with a week to go!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Lots of great suggestions so far. I'm jealous of you even being able to plan this far ahead. Whenever I try something like this my other half says something like "I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow never mind next year!".

South America hasn't been mentioned so I feel I should throw that out there. Maybe Central America for the shorter travel times. It would be great to tell the kids now that they'll be going somewhere that speaks a language they could learn some of in the next two years. Would really give them a reason to learn and they'd get to use it. I think I'd have paid more attention in school to French /Spanish class if I'd seen how great it is to be able to speak to people who you're travelling.

The trip to Moscow sounds great. That would be a proper adventure. As would the USA/Canadian roadtrips.

I know you discounted Europe but the coast down by Croatia / Montenegro / Albania / Greece is absolutely worth 6 weeks. Went there two years ago and we loved finding small towns in places and staying there a few days. I had the same plan as you to see Europe when I'm older, and on shorter trips. But I'm glad now I spent a month rambling around there.

If you want culture overload, a week in India before heading to SE Asia would be amazing. I've seen lots of families on holidays there. You could easily pre book a driver and some nice hotels.

Enjoy the planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Really liking this idea too actually, love the idea of spending a few days on an animal sanctuary and i think we'd need to break down the holiday to be able to spend 4-5 days in one place here and there.

Just thinking now like with all the culture we want to soak up and experiences i'd imagine our kids would be happy with 6 weeks on a beach in Portugal:rolleyes: which is grand but we want more than that and hoping they'll appreciate discovering new cultures and experiences

Theres a sloth sanctuary in Costa Rica that has accommodation you can stay at. You can see sloths in the wild in most of the rainforests there anyway, Costa Rica is very much known for its wildlife which is abundant. Another great thing to do there is watch baby turtles hatching and running towards the sea. We were there is September and saw thousands of them over a couple of nights. You would need to look up timings as they only hatch at certain times of the year.

Costa Rica is a pretty compact country so distances between attractions are not long which makes things easier for your 5 year old. While I would say China is a great option myself I suppose you have to think how your youngest is going to be with long train journeys. Chinese trains are modern and comfortable but distances are vast so its not unusual to be taking a train journey that is 12+ hours.

• Advertisement

Cdeb, brilliant thank you for taking the time to share your itinerary.
    What a trip!
    I'll look into more for sure but just looking through the days etc I really think we'll need beach days in there and while the the trip is full of culture and exploration I wonder how much the kids would appreciate that? Something we'll think about.

Dory, yeah my husband brought up about actually doing Europe and I know there's so much to see but I just think when we have the time we should go further with the kids for our one big holiday. If we did do it hopefully the 6 weeks wouldnt be taken up with 2 weeks quarantining either side of it:pac:

Yes South America on the list too, I like the idea of the languages, our eldest currently in first year is going French but Spanish would be handy for us all to learn!

Muahahaha, also love the idea of the sloth sanctuary in Costa Rica, the kids would love that. Maybe Central America and Costa Rica?

I'll look into more for sure but just looking through the days etc I really think we'll need beach days in there and while the the trip is full of culture and exploration I wonder how much the kids would appreciate that? Something we'll think about.
    Absolutely. There are beaches in there btw (Gorky Park, St Petersburg, the Kazakh shopping arcade, Lake Baikal). But at this stage it's really about googling lots places to see what stands out and what ye feel ye want in a trip.

cdeb wrote: »
    Absolutely. There are beaches in there btw (Gorky Park, St Petersburg, the Kazakh shopping arcade, Lake Baikal). But at this stage it's really about googling lots places to see what stands out and what ye feel ye want in a trip.

Ok sorry, need to check the map more closely :o
    Thanks again!

Don't be apologising - the city centre isn't the kind of place you'd expect to find a beach in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

This could be one of those threads that just grows and grows, hopefully!

We are planning on doing something with our two in the next couple years as well, something along the lines of:

- Flying out to Singapore and staying on Sentosa Island for 2/3 days to let the kids relax. There's a Universal Studios here but ours are still quite young (9 and 6) so may not be an option.

- Taking the bus up to Mersing in Malaysia before taking the ferry out to Tioman Island. Myself and herself did this years ago (flew in but no longer an option) and it is beautiful, stunning actually. Unbelievable snorkelling/scuba diving and monkeys roaming the place (Macaques). Tropical is not the word.

- From here, back to Singapore to then fly up to Luang Prabang in Laos. Quite simply stunning. Waking up, having breakfast next to the Mekong before heading for the waterfalls or out the surrounding countryside.

- Finish up by hitting for an island in Thailand and treating ourselves (the kids moreso) to a few days in a nice resort with a pool and near the beach.

Still vague on what we will be able to do as we don't know how much time we can 'miss' from school/work etc. If we had 3 weeks we would throw in a stop in Cambodia as well perhaps.

So many options.

As others have said, I wouldn't bother with the U.S./Canadian trips just yet!

Once again, great thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Singapore Airlines used do fantastic discounts with really good hotels and resorts if you flew with them and even did a stop off at Singapore. I think Singapore is a great cultural hub and tourist destination - particularly for families. Its exciting, exotic, accessible, safe, has fantastic infrastructure and fusion of cultures and is set up for tourists. Everything is olanned to be accessible, family friendly and tourist focused - the best scenic viewing spots, preprepared picture perfect photo sites, tourist sutes that are ipen at night and things that might captire kids imaginations like the night trip to the zoo, sky walkway through rainforest, orchid gardens and stunning parks, free night fountains by Sentosa, temples, markets, Chinese Junk trips through the port, rickshaw tours etc - all in an extremely safe and oruce friendly city that feels safe, has great infrastructure and amazing food at easy prices.

From a fortnight there based at one of the Sentosa complexes you could all acclamitise, experiencing and eyeball a huge amount and not break the bank. From there you could jump to Malysia, Thailand, Kuala Lumpar or further afield.

I would not be recommending in particular Vietnam or Cambodia with a small child - you can get better and far safer and cleaner experiences in Thailand where they are far mire friendly, family focused and safe - unless thirld world bathrooms and stomach issues for a 5 yo are your idea of fun.

I’d also be saying that Having 5 or 6 weeks is amazing but I would imagine dragging a 5yo around endless temples and markets in 30+ heat after 2 or 3 weeks will become an utter chore ( assuming teens are interested) and that one beautiful beach could become much like the next after a few days - even if you have spent 5 or 8k to get there.

I’ve been following a youtube site called FYD ( follow your daydream) and it follows a family in the US travelling with their kids to different state parks and RV sites - might be well worth a google!

They also talk about the ( big!) costs in overnighting and the (bigger!) ‘petrol’ costs - but the national parks look spectacular - assuming your 5yo can hike or be carried! They also talk about highway 1 (California) and travelling to RV parks and national parks there - thou I think this is now shut since a big landslide hole appeared a day or so ago! Well worth a daydream! I think the tipping prices and food prices for a famaily of 5 in the US could be crushing!

I travelled around Europe and think to write it off as too accessible is a bit of a miss - it offers beaches, mountains, deserts, landscapes and food and language cultures as diverse/ greater as anythhing you would find at the end of a 5k family flight . And with this saving you could combine a gastro tour of some spectacular sights and cities (& restaurants and beaches) in France, Italy, Croatia Spain, Switzerland, Germany ... different landscapes, different looking people, Arab influences and architecture, cery different types if food between countries - and languages and attutudes! Think incredible greman or French castles, historic chataux, B&B/ gite & bike tours, rent a houseboat and punt down the Midi for 10 days, take a cruise for a week down the Rhine, do a chartered sail ( with crew) through spectacular Croatia, stay on the islands of Greece or Italian Capri, go hiking or skiing in the summer in the Alps and experience summer glaciers in Austria etc Europe saves a quarter of your budget easily - and offers a tapestry of exciting, stunning, exotic and endless choices - requires few malaria tablets or other SEA required innoculatiins ( add another 1k per family) and you are covered for medical emergencies in a first world hospital system if anything changes or happens (eg accident/ covid etc). And it is not American culture or attitudes ir ‘just’ beaches and beautiful people servinv you in shops/restaurants.

As regards China or Mongolia - for the days faken up crushed into cubicles or travelling I can imagine for someone in their 20’s it would be an interesting & tiring adventure but for teens and a 5 yo - not worth the crush and travel and parental hassle.

Train travel - yes! Ever thought of overnighting by sleeper train to Copenhagen and the Northern Lights and a husky trip in the North of Europe from A bike trip around Holland ? Totally different. And still time to fly back to Paris for some shopping!

Yes South America on the list too, I like the idea of the languages, our eldest currently in first year is going French but Spanish would be handy for us all to learn!

Muahahaha, also love the idea of the sloth sanctuary in Costa Rica, the kids would love that. Maybe Central America and Costa Rica?

I was originally going to recommend South America as it definitely ticks the boxes for culture and adventure but as its July/August you are going it doesnt suit your criteria of good weather, at least not Argentina and Chile who will be in winter during those months. Brazil, Bolivia & Peru will be warm but its also the wet season so there will be lots of bursts of thundery rain storms followed by sunshine. Its tolerable but not ideal weather at the same time.

re: Central America, I couldnt recommend any other country bar Costa Rica in that region. The likes of Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala have some great sights to see but Its just too dangerous for family travel. The capital of Honduras is one of the most dangerous cities in the world, when I was there I heard gunshots just a few blocks away from the hostel, its a wild place and not for kids. Whereas Costa Rica is safe and has a well established eco-tourism industry with families in mind. Its the only country in Central America where guns are illegal which says a lot.

If you did want to tack on another destination Id consider Cuba. It would definitely tick the culture box. With your 6 weeks you could spend a week or so in Florida to bring the kids to the theme parks then fly to Costa Rica for 2.5 weeks then Cuba for 2.5 before going back to Florida via Costa Rica. Cuba is good for family travel and the locals there love kids. You wouldnt be able to see everything in 2.5 weeks but would get to see all the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

I'm glad I found this thread! I'm gonna keep following as there are already some brilliant suggestions popping up. We also hope to take a long trip in 2023, as my two will be finished second and fourth year that summer, so a good time to take a long trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

2cts from someone who's wandered far-ish and wide-ish with parents, with children and all on my owney-oh: add me to the list of "USA? - meh ..." people. Sure, it has some spectacular sights, but it also has a huuuuuuuge amount of dead space in between. Most children don't appreciate that, unless the mode of travel adds something extra, very much extra. And if you're going to the States, don't waste several days of a six-week holiday in a theme park when you could easily do the same thing with a week's package holiday at any other time. On the other hand, if you did end up going there, I'd highly recommend doing at least one trans-continental train journey - the observation cars on Amtrak trains allow for really great views of the landscape (mindnumbingly boring aswell as spectacular) and there are few enough routes in Europe that give you the chance to spend two whole days (and nights) on a single train.

A self-drive safari through one or other part of Africa would be another great adventure, but bear in mind that all the "best" bits are south of the equator, so it'll be winter and many animal migrations (e.g. in the Serengeti, as suggested above) will not be happening in the way the guide books say. Self-drive is (in my opinion) the only way to do it. If you're bundled up in a group, you'll get the top-ten-highlights (or not, if the animals don't want to come out to play); when you're on your own, apart from having the campsite to yourself as soon as the tour groups clear off after breakfast, you're free to spend as much time as you want watching monkeys being monkeys or warthogs being warthogs (or cutting things a bit too fine with your evening arrival and finding yourself setting up camp in the dark with an awful lot of red eyes watching you from an uncomfortably close distance ... :pac: ) Once again, though, every African country (that you're likely to visit) is b-i-g and you do a lot of travelling for much the same scenery/activity.

Australia is yet another one of those: lots and lots and lots of driving, a quick burst of interest, then back in the car/van and off again. If you're considering a driving holiday, especially in a big vehicle, don't forget that it has to be driven! How many drivers will be taking their turn at the wheel?

Cdeb's itinerary is almost exactly the same as I've planned for my next big adventure (on my own, if I have to, but preferably with a +1) ... I'll keep going after Beijing to make it a full round-the-world trip. In the US a few years ago, I met an English girl who was coming to the end of a similar circumnavigation. I think your older children would really appreciate the symbolism of going the whole way around the world. Six weeks would be a bit tight, but doable if you accepted some trade offs along the way (e.g. skip over Europe to start in Moscow, as that's all "back yard" stuff anyway, and do a one of those trans-continental Amtrak routes to finish off.

But when all is said and done you don't have to go to these faraway places to get an enormous range of experiences. Doing a road trip through Europe is nothing at all like doing a series of city breaks; but also nothing like doing the long, long journeys in America or Africa. With your children's age range, I'd prefer to take them across Europe, because it is so much easier to pack in different activities that are more suited to either the 5-year-old or the 15-year-old. You could (for example) leave one adult with the youngster while the other goes off on a six-hour hike up a 3500m mountain; and the next day drive to a city full of shops and museums and carousels. There's so much variety packed into continental Europe that you're not committed to a single type of holiday from the start. This post is coming to you tonight from a motorhome (not much smaller than the pictured in smurfjed's post) that's been to some of the most amazing places I've seen in my time wandering the planet - all in the spaces between those convenient weekend destinations.

Great to read that so many others will get good use out of this thread.
    We're loving the suggestions/pros and cons/hidden gems etc. and just your own experience of where would or wouldn't be suitable/safe for families with young kids.

I really think we need to leave the 5 year old at home though to make it easier on ourselves :pac:

I think we'll do up a spreadsheet based on everyone's responses and our own research and try and whittle it down.

Yeah Ratracer, our eldest will have (hopefully) done her Junior Cert that June so we feel it might be our last free summer before we send her out to work and fend for herself:p

JustAThought, yeah more great valid points re Europe!

HappyOutScan, great itinerary, how old will your kids when you hope to go on that trip?

Thanks everyone.

HappyOutScan, great itinerary, how old will your kids when you hope to go on that trip?

They are 7 and 4 now, so the ages I put in my post would be the ages when we hopefully can head off.

Return flights from Dublin to Singapore for 4 are usually 2000 or under. Flights over there (AirAsia, Lao Airlines) very cheap as well. This could well change though with covid!

I'm a bit more intensive when it comes to planning/itineraries but herself is pretty good at talking me down and reminding me of how young the kids are! So it might just be over to Singapore, Tioman Island and Thailand and home. That would not be too intensive at all.

So many options.

+1 for Cuba as well. We were there years ago and it was fantastic, although we didn't see as much of it as we would have wished. We booked 2 weeks in the touristy Varadero with the intention of driving from there to Havana for a couple nights but it didn't work out (I was recovering from an injury so was limited mobility wise). On arrival Castro announced he was stepping aside so within 24 hours there wasn't a bed left in Havana. We did hire a car though and see some of the island (an experience and I've driven in most countries we've visited!). Lovely people.

***If going to Thailand for 10-14 days, would we be better off dividing the time between Bangkok/Phuket or just staying in one? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Fly into Vancouver, enjoy city
    Do 2 weeks up into the Rockies with a van hire or camper van
    Transit over into the USA and enjoy Seattle for a few days. My advice is ferry to Van island then ferry through San Juans with a night in eg Victoria and Friday Harbour. Hire van or camper in WA. See Mt Rainier, Olympic NP down the west coast to North Cali, Redwoods, Wine Country, San Fran,
    OR return campervan and fly down from Seattle and hire in San Fran.
    Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, sequoia NP, LA then back up the coast to San Fran. Drop off hire van and enjoy the city

Bring 3 tents with you or buy them and other items in Vancouver. You'll be able to camp out everywhere at that time of year
    There are so many spectacular campsites you could stay in
    Its worth it to be able to wake up with a view or to see the stars at night

I would continue down into Montana if you make it over to Alberta, stunning place. All the various Rocky mountain parks are stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

We have been thinking along these lines also. Current plan is to rent an RV and tour western Canada and the Rockies. We would do a dry run the year before in Eastern Europe to see if it suits us all before committing. One of my boys has special needs and hasn’t been on a plane so it’s hard to know how he will take to travelling but the constant of a motor home is most likely to suit.

I’ve been to Malaysia before children and there were lots of European families there. The perhentian islands were gorgeous but I was a little concerned about the environmental impact of tourism there. I think a lot of rubbish is dumped at sea. Malaysia is very safe though and the food is delicious. Singapore and Thailand well worth consideration also.

Great thread by the way.

Malaysia is beautiful and the people are absolutely fantastic.

Been to KL on a couple occasions, Tioman and Penang.

Still trying to come up with a plan for Easter 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

South Africa for sure! We rented a car and roadtripped from Cape Town to Johannesburg a few years back. So much to do and see there! Incredible scenery and beaches, amazing food and its unreal value too. Penguins on the beach, cage diving with great whites and crocodiles, self drive safaris and driving alongside lions and giraffes. We passed herds of zebras grazing peacefully while out hiking and we saw hippos wander in to town at night. Plenty of adventure sports like bungee jumping, paragliding, hot air balloning, rhino trekking etc. The route we took avoided all malaria areas too so we never had to take tablets. Definitely a trip I want to do back and do again when I have children!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

We did LA - San Fran then onto Yosemite where we camped. From there out to Bodie via Death Valley and down to Vegas. Back to LA for a few days and then down to San Diego for a few days. Back to LAX and out. Yosemite is fantastic - loved it and I stopped taking pics as its pointless, better to just take it all in.

Did it with my two and Bro in Law and his kid. They were around your ages. They still talk about it as one of the best holidays ever. We stayed loads of places with things to do for the kids and lots of great food and drink for the adults. They keep wanting to repeat it but I think teh second time around it would not be the same so better to leave the memories intact. If considering Yosemite and camping or RV my advice is to get organises. It makes EP and Glastonbury tickets look simple. Pitches sell in blocks months in advance and will be booked in minutes. They are dirt cheap so amercians book them and doesn't matter if you they aren't used. This means you can rock up to the gate and you will probably get something but its nice not to have the worry.

Not sure what it cost to be fair but probably 8k??

Kerry25x wrote: »
    South Africa for sure! We rented a car and roadtripped from Cape Town to Johannesburg a few years back. So much to do and see there! Incredible scenery and beaches, amazing food and its unreal value too. Penguins on the beach, cage diving with great whites and crocodiles, self drive safaris and driving alongside lions and giraffes. We passed herds of zebras grazing peacefully while out hiking and we saw hippos wander in to town at night. Plenty of adventure sports like bungee jumping, paragliding, hot air balloning, rhino trekking etc. The route we took avoided all malaria areas too so we never had to take tablets. Definitely a trip I want to do back and do again when I have children!

Can you give an idea of how long you went for, itinerary, what vehicle you hired, camping style etc if you get a chance!

Would that route have taken in any of the National Parks?

Can you give an idea of how long you went for, itinerary, what vehicle you hired, camping style etc if you get a chance!

We went for 2 weeks and managed to fit a lot in in that time but we could have stayed for so much longer! We also stopped off in the Seychelles for 2 days on the way home because we had to change flights there anyway.

We were a bit broke at the time so we rented the cheapest cars that would fit all our luggage in the boot (because you don't want to leave any visible belonging in the car in South Africa)! We rented 2 cars because we flew a portion of the journey due to time restrictions. I think they were small volvos or something similar and we took them in to national parks and drove it alongside elephants and rhinos etc! We didn't do any camping but I would if we went back again, we stayed in small hotels and guesthouses, didn't pay more than 20-30 a night and everywhere we stayed was nice and had a pool.

The national parks we went to were Addo National Park and Hluhluwe Game Reserve. We also went to a couple smaller private game parks too. We did 2 guided safari drives and they were great, I think we saw things on the guided ones that we wouldn't have found by ourselves like lions and a leopard but I still preferred the self drives we did just for the excitement of being on our own out there and finding our own animals! We did plenty of hanging out the car windows getting selfie's with nearby animals!

I'll have a look through my email soon and see if I can find our exact itinerary for you!

Kerry25x wrote: »
    We went for 2 weeks and managed to fit a lot in in that time but we could have stayed for so much longer! We also stopped off in the Seychelles for 2 days on the way home because we had to change flights there anyway.

We were a bit broke at the time so we rented the cheapest cars that would fit all our luggage in the boot (because you don't want to leave any visible belonging in the car in South Africa)! We rented 2 cars because we flew a portion of the journey due to time restrictions. I think they were small volvos or something similar and we took them in to national parks and drove it alongside elephants and rhinos etc! We didn't do any camping but I would if we went back again, we stayed in small hotels and guesthouses, didn't pay more than 20-30 a night and everywhere we stayed was nice and had a pool.

The national parks we went to were Addo National Park and Hluhluwe Game Reserve. We also went to a couple smaller private game parks too. We did 2 guided safari drives and they were great, I think we saw things on the guided ones that we wouldn't have found by ourselves like lions and a leopard but I still preferred the self drives we did just for the excitement of being on our own out there and finding our own animals! We did plenty of hanging out the car windows getting selfie's with nearby animals!

I'll have a look through my email soon and see if I can find our exact itinerary for you!

Thank you for the great information! After I read your previous post i did some Google Mapping and set a path from CapeTown-Gansbaii (Great White Cage Dive)-Port Elizabet-Durban (all along the coast) before realising that we'd probably want to be going through the interior to get some animals?

Looks very exciting and another option for us.

Dug up the full itinerary for you. We didn't stick strictly to this everyday once we got there but its the route we took anyway! This really makes me want to go back for a longer more leisurely trip!

1st Jan: Cape Town
    Arrive 1pm, pick up car, check in to hotel and check out the Waterfront/beaches.

2nd Jan: Cape Town
    Up early to hike up Lions Head and then paragliding over Cape Town at 12:30. Drive down to Boulders Beach to see penguins after and take a walk around Cape of Good Hope.

3rd Jan: Cape Town - Gansbaai ðŸ§
    Half day in Cape Town. Drive to Gansbaai around 2pm (3 hour drive), stop in Hermanus for food and a walk around on the way.

4th Jan: Gansbaii
    Up early for cage shark dive. Drive to Oudtshoorn after (4 hour drive).

5th Jan: Oudtshoorn - Knysna
    Ostridge Farm. Cango Wildlife Park for Croc dive & Lemur Encounter. Maybe Bufflesdrift Lodge for Elephant Hug. Drive to Knysna in evening. (1.5 hours). Walk up to Knysna Heads if we have time.

6th Jan: Knysna - Jeffery's BayðŸ‚
    Sand boarding in Knysna in morning 8am-11am. Drive to Tsitsikamma National Park (1hour 15 minutes), 1km hike to suspension bridge. Drive to Jeffery's Bay (1 hour), stopping for worlds 4th highest bungy jump on the way.

7th Jan: Jeffery's Bay to Addo
    Drive 1.5 hours to Addo Safari Game Reserve and spend full day on self drive Safari. Drive to Port Elizabeth for night (40 min drive).

8th Jan: Port Elizabeth to St Lucia 🚗✈
    12:30pm flight to Durban arrive 1:30pm, pick up new car here and drive along the Dolphin Coast to Hluhlwe, 3 hour drive. Arrive around 6pm

9th Jan: Hluhlwe
    Guided safari in Hluhlwe National Park.

10th Jan: Hluhlwe
    Self drive safari in Hluhlwe National Park in the morning. Boat cruise in iSimangaliso Wetland Park in the evening. Staying in St Lucia that night.

11th Jan: Swaziland
    Drive 4 hours to Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary.

12th Jan: Swaziland
    Stay second day in Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary.

13th Jan: Johannesburg
    Drive to Johannesburg. (4.5 hours)

14th Jan: Fly to Seychelles at 14:00.

15th Jan: Seychelles
    Beach day

16th Jan: Seychelles
    Beach day, flight home at 20:00

Thank you for the great information! After I read your previous post i did some Google Mapping and set a path from CapeTown-Gansbaii (Great White Cage Dive)-Port Elizabet-Durban (all along the coast) before realising that we'd probably want to be going through the interior to get some animals?

Looks very exciting and another option for us.

Thats pretty much the way we went! Although we flew from Port Elizabeth to Durban. We went in January which isn't supposed to be great for animal spotting but we saw everything, all the big 5!

We also cut through Swaziland (since renamed Eswatini) which I highly recommend, the place we stayed was called Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary, its a sanctuary with no predators other than hippos and crocodiles so you're safe to hike around on foot once you avoid the water! We met plenty of zebras and warthogs on our hikes there, even had them grazing behind us while we hung out in the pool! The restaurant here is overlooking the water so you can see hippos while you're eating and maybe crocodiles too (although we never saw the crocs).

Also, if you stay in St Lucia on the east coast you're very close to the wetlands and hippos actually wander in to the town at night which is a bit scary (we saw them from the safety of our car) but also very cool to see such a big scary animal walking down the main street!

Really there's amazing animal experiences all over, you can't go wrong! Attached a photo from our trip taken in Addo National Park, this was our first self drive safari and was incredible! I can't remember exactly what we paid for the permit to drive in to the park but I know it was really cheap, maybe around €20.

Incredible pic kerry25x thanks for sharing. What are those small animals to the left of the elephants?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Incredible pic kerry25x thanks for sharing. What are those small animals to the left of the elephants?

Thank you! They're warthogs (Pumbaa from The Lion King).

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

How did you travel? Where in you in a car or rv?
    traco wrote: »
    We did LA - San Fran then onto Yosemite where we camped. From there out to Bodie via Death Valley and down to Vegas. Back to LA for a few days and then down to San Diego for a few days. Back to LAX and out. Yosemite is fantastic - loved it and I stopped taking pics as its pointless, better to just take it all in.

Did it with my two and Bro in Law and his kid. They were around your ages. They still talk about it as one of the best holidays ever. We stayed loads of places with things to do for the kids and lots of great food and drink for the adults. They keep wanting to repeat it but I think teh second time around it would not be the same so better to leave the memories intact. If considering Yosemite and camping or RV my advice is to get organises. It makes EP and Glastonbury tickets look simple. Pitches sell in blocks months in advance and will be booked in minutes. They are dirt cheap so amercians book them and doesn't matter if you they aren't used. This means you can rock up to the gate and you will probably get something but its nice not to have the worry.

Not sure what it cost to be fair but probably 8k??

• Advertisement

Thanks Kerry, very informative and a lot of great options there!

Had a look at the croc dive, think I would give that a miss as it doesn't seem like much. Did a Great White dive in Australia so would definitely do that again in South Africa (heard they're more aggressive in SA).

Advertisement