Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Week family "Trip of a Lifetime" suggestions

Options
  • 20-01-2021 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

So planning (and saving) a good bit in advance but hope to travel on a 6 week holiday in July/August 2023 with our 3 kids, who'll then be 15,11 and 5.

We've nowhere particular we're itching to go to but really want it make a lot of memories with the family wherever we go.
    I suppose what we really want is a bit of adventure, culture and good weather.

I've been to Australia and New Zealand but would happily travel around NZ with the family but worried the weather wouldn't be the best that time of year?

Another idea was driving from San Fran down to LA, San Diego and all the stops in between (Yosemite National Park etc). Has anyone done this trip?

The budget will be roughly €15-20k.

We're kind of ruling out Europe at the minute as we feel we can do a lot of European cities in shorter breaks, long weekends.

Totally open to suggestions/advice if anyone has any.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

saggycaggy wrote: »
    ?
    Another idea was driving from San Fran down to LA, San Diego and all the stops in between (Yosemite National Park etc). Has anyone done this trip?

Great fun to be had, but it could be too hot when you plan to go... I did it in October and we still had 30+ temperatures in places (SF was cooler). Do your research beforehand or you're risking running from one air conditioned space to another a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Why not go closer afield and do a road trip through Europe? There are so many beautiful places to see and you do not need to spend a day on a plane to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

I did 5 weeks in NZ in September, weather was actually alright mostly but definitely not dependable in July/August

Oz East Coast or West Coast, again weather is against you on the south end of both trips.

The American road trip was on the plan last year but shelved unfortunately. 15-20k for 6 weeks is very achievable though depending on your comfort levels. Id agree with you regarding Europe in terms of Citys however much like NZ/Oz, the travelling between cities is generally where you see the best stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I did the Lions tour in NZ June/July. Lots of rain, rare sun and then freezing in Queenstown. The following year most of the South Island was shut down due to flooding so I would agree that it's not the time of year to do that.

How about SE Asia? Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Laos or any combination of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thailand. 6 weeks is a perfect amount of time to see both the cultural North and beaches down South.

Leaving COVID aside, however, Jule - July can be wet in some places, so a bit of research required.

It'll also give your kids the travel bug (in a good way). While Thailand has certainly 'westernised' over the years, it's still a different culture.

We have been travelling SE Asia the past 10 years and met many families along the way. The kids were always blown away with SE Asia.

I would say to add in either Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam etc. but you won't get bored exploring Thailand in 6 weeks. If you don't want long travelling times with kids, internal flights are cheap as chips... think we flew from BKK to Chiang Mai for approx. €40 - 50.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

A lot of it depends on what ye like really.

You mention the US and Oz/NZ, which would have great parts to them of course. I met people who did a similar thing across SE Asia - Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam - and they had a great time. Six weeks with two teenage kids; I met them doing schoolwork on the Mekong in Laos, and again in Kuala Lumpur when it was school holidays.

So to throw something random out - six weeks is plenty time to get to Beijing by train. Some pros -

> Sense of adventure from the moment you leave home and head for the ferry. (Or you could cheat and fly to Warsaw for the first part if you wanted)
    > Lots of varied cultures - Moscow and/or St Petersburg, then maybe Kazan or Samara as a stop-off on the way to the open plains of the Kazakh countryside and Nur-Sultan's futuristic architecture, back up to Siberia and Lake Baikal, into Mongolia and finally to China (compared to "just" the US or Oz/NZ/Thailand - not to say they're not great places too, but they'd have less variety)
    > Trains are great for meeting people (including for the 5-year-old)
    > Overnight trains save costs by doubling up as accommodation
    > Visas and train tickets - effectively the whole journey - can all be booked in advance

A train compartment might seem a little cramped - but no more so than a car or camper van really. Trains give you less flexibility to stop off an explore - but the flip side is it's easier on the driver! There's enough in the cities for interest, or in somewhere like Mongolia you could hire a car or join a tour.

That's very much the kind of thing that'd either be of interest or not at all be of interest. But it's a different option anyway; said I'd throw it out there.

Six weeks with a private driver in Vietnam. Do the entire north, including the Ha Giang loop. Then all down the country and fly out of Phu Quoc.

I've lived here for a decade and have done all that on motorbike, and the idea of doing it again with a family with a driver has me craving a trip. And a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Hire a WINNEBAGO in the states and drive wherever you wish. Did that a few years ago with the wife in a 9.5 meter Winnebago big enough to sleep 6. It was wonderful if somewhat nerve racking for the first few days getting used to driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Thank you all so much, I'm loving these suggestions and totally open to them all.

I'd love to find out more about the train to Beijing, have you done this trip or know anyone that has? The amount of culture we'd experience would be amazing but i'd have to see how much time would actually be taken up on a train, the novelty might wear off after week one!!

Vietnam, yes definitely love that idea-would never think of a private driver etc but exploring Vietnam will be added to the list.
    SE Asia in general, I've been to Thailand as a backpacker but did it terribly,as in stayed on the one Island and didn't venture too far while staying in the nice but cheap enough hotel. I would like to explore Thailand properly, along with Cambodia etc. It could be very wet then too right?

For wherever we go we want comfort but basic comfort so nothing too fancy/expensive.
    I have a brother and his family in San Francisco so we've a good excuse to visit another time if not on this trip, yeah if the heat is unbearable that mightn't be pleasant.

Loads to go on,thank you all.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Hire a WINNEBAGO in the states and drive wherever you wish. Did that a few years ago with the wife in a 9.5 meter Winnebago big enough to sleep 6. It was wonderful if somewhat nerve racking for the first few days getting used to driving it.

Where did you go on this trip? Thanks!

• Advertisement

Thank you all so much, I'm loving these suggestions and totally open to them all.

I'd love to find out more about the train to Beijing, have you done this trip or know anyone that has? The amount of culture we'd experience would be amazing but i'd have to see how much time would actually be taken up on a train, the novelty might wear off after week one!!

I've gotten the train to Beijing alright (though I didn't have time to arrange visas for Kazakhstan) I can give you an idea of what I did if you want? You have to consider if it's suitable for sure - but if you take it that you spend 3 days in Moscow, then 2 days on a train to Samara, then 3 days there, it probably seems less daunting! You could probably just as easily get tired of a camper van or lots of driving in a car after week one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Six weeks with a private driver in Vietnam. Do the entire north, including the Ha Giang loop. Then all down the country and fly out of Phu Quoc.

I've lived here for a decade and have done all that on motorbike, and the idea of doing it again with a family with a driver has me craving a trip. And a family.

We did this for our Honeymoon(3 weeks, cheated a bit by taking some internal flights) and it was amazing, loved Vietnam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Where did you go on this trip? Thanks!

We rented this monster in October 2017 so rates were dirt cheap. Started in LA, first night under the stars in the Joshua Tree national park, moved from there towards Phoenix and down to an aircraft museum, back up towards Horseshoe Bend canyons, Sedona then onwards to the Grand Canyon, and a couple of days driving back towards LA for the last night. Had never driven something so big before and was surprised that they only required a normal Irish driving licence. Crazy thing to drive but I didn’t put one scratch on it. The fun of being able to stop wherever you wish, no packing, no rushing to checkout, just lower it down off the jacks, open the blinds and away you go.

540222.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Fly into Vancouver, enjoy city
    Do 2 weeks up into the Rockies with a van hire or camper van
    Transit over into the USA and enjoy Seattle for a few days. My advice is ferry to Van island then ferry through San Juans with a night in eg Victoria and Friday Harbour. Hire van or camper in WA. See Mt Rainier, Olympic NP down the west coast to North Cali, Redwoods, Wine Country, San Fran,
    OR return campervan and fly down from Seattle and hire in San Fran.
    Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, sequoia NP, LA then back up the coast to San Fran. Drop off hire van and enjoy the city

Bring 3 tents with you or buy them and other items in Vancouver. You'll be able to camp out everywhere at that time of year
    There are so many spectacular campsites you could stay in
    Its worth it to be able to wake up with a view or to see the stars at night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

With children still very young I think I would be including a few areas that might have a theme park to give them a break.

We did a family trip to Hong Kong, inland China, Macau a couple of years back. One of the family group and his children headed to Disney in Hong Kong and that was a great break for them.

We also did Vancouver, to Banff to Victoria to Seattle with a 16 year old who enjoyed it.

At the moment we are putting together a plan to do Toronto, Ottawa. Montreal and Quebec city but without children so a different kind of holiday.

However, you have discounted Europe. I understand that you can visit Europe very easily but I still think that it should be considered. Majorca, Soller train, Caves of Drach etc. with a lot less travelling for the younger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So planning (and saving) a good bit in advance but hope to travel on a 6 week holiday in July/August 2023 with our 3 kids, who'll then be 15,11 and 5.

We've nowhere particular we're itching to go to but really want it make a lot of memories with the family wherever we go.
    I suppose what we really want is a bit of adventure, culture and good weather.

Lots of things to think about especially as the kids will be 5 up to 15. The 15 year old needs to be engaged and you need comfort for the 5 year old at the same time. Its a balancing act especially over six weeks. And spending long times in big cities will bore both of them. But so could spending long times on the road between destinations.

Also the July/August timing along with criteria of good weather means you are largely stuck to the northern hemisphere.

As others have said the a campervan road trip in the US or Canada would seem like the obvious option. With 6 weeks you could either do a LA to San Fran coastal trip and then head inland to take in Yosemite Park before doing a loop around the other parks across Nevada, Colorado and Utah. Alternatively you could start in LA to San Fran and keep heading north to Seattle, Oregan, Vancouver and then all the way up to Alaska. Problem with that though is its not a loop and its a long way back down.

If its adventure you want Id suggest spending the entire 6 weeks in China including Hong Kong and Macau. Though with a 5 yr old that could be tough travel, it depends on your appetite for it. But it would definitely tick the criteria of adventure, culture and good weather. Theres lot of fantastic national parks in China as well as good sights like the Great Wall, Terraccotta Army and the giant Buddha at Leschan. Distances are large though so you would have to consider taking the odd internal flight of which there are many.

Another option might be to do this. Fly into Florida and then either at the start of the 6 weeks or the end of it spend 7-10 days doing all the theme and waterparks with the kids. Then fly down to San Jose, Costa Rica and spend a few weeks there. Costa Rica is a small compact country (ie short distances) with both Pacific and Caribbean coasts and then rainforests, waterfalls, jungles and active volcanoes in the interior. It is well set up for families and has a developed eco tourism industry there. You could spend 2 or 3 days with the entire family volunteering at the rescued turtle sancturary or the sloth sancturary, kids would love getting up close with animals like that. Because you've a few weeks there Id also suggest using 5 or 6 days to do one of these two things
    -Hire a skippered yacht and load it up with food.Kids would love the adventure of being on a sail boat, doing a little bit of island hopping, stopping off at empty beaches and going snorkelling. The 15 and 11 year old (and you parents) could also get involved in helping to sail the yacht under instruction from the skipper which is a lot of fun and adventure.
    -Or take 5-6 days and bring the family to learn how to scuba dive. It would involve 2 days on shore for lessons in a swimming pool and then join a liveaboard for 4 days to scuba dive on coral reefs offshore. The downside is the 5yr old would be restricted to snorkeling but if you could live with that you'd open the eyes of the other two to a whole new underwater world and give them a hobby for life. Research timings but it is possible in Costa Rica to scuba dive with hammerhead sharks and whale sharks at certain times of the year, that would be a very memorable experience

Finally would say whereever you go try to give the family some kind of very unique experience, something that will live long in the memory for the kids. Id be thinking while it might cost the guts of a 1,000 euro to take the entire family on a hot air balloon ride it would be something you'd all remember fondly forever.

Brilliant thank you for those last few posts, loads to think about there.
    Good thing we're not in any hurry to make a decision!

Yeah the age of the kids is a big issue to factor in, what we can do with the 15 year old compared to what the 5 year old can/will do!

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Good thread OP.

We are also planning 6 weeks away for 2022 - wife and 3 kids (well one will be 20)

First choice is japan and second was the USA road trip.
    This was pre covid.
    So we haven't booked anything yet.
    Restrictions and mask wearing will now sadly be a factor - the less the better for us.

still saving , just planning on hold a bit cos we aren't sure where we will go.

* edit just seen your last reply
    we have a 15 year gap from eldest to youngest - it occasionally is a factor on our holidays.
    we try in addition to family trips have individual activities on holidays - like I'll go out with the eldest on 1 day to do something they like and likewise with other 2. that said we are lucky they are close and we all love the sea.

That's cool Paw Patrol, very similar to ourselves so.

Yeah our kids are very close too, the 2 older girls are great with their younger brother and we live beside the coast here and all the kids love being in the water. Yeah I'm sure along the adventure there will be a couple of things the young guy won't be able to do but we'll make sure they all get a lot of enjoyment out of the trip.

It'll be interesting to see where you also book so! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

paw patrol wrote: »
    Good thread OP.

We are also planning 6 weeks away for 2022 - wife and 3 kids (well one will be 20)

First choice is japan and second was the USA road trip.
    This was pre covid.
    So we haven't booked anything yet.
    Restrictions and mask wearing will now sadly be a factor - the less the better for us.

still saving , just planning on hold a bit cos we aren't sure where we will go.

* edit just seen your last reply
    we have a 15 year gap from eldest to youngest - it occasionally is a factor on our holidays.
    we try in addition to family trips have individual activities on holidays - like I'll go out with the eldest on 1 day to do something they like and likewise with other 2. that said we are lucky they are close and we all love the sea.

I dont think you can ever go wrong going to the USA with teenagers. It can be awesome!

• Advertisement

Just to be a bit contrary - you could argue America is a bit familiar a family trip of a lifetime where culture and adventure are two key criteria.

But if part of travel is to broaden the mind - particularly formative minds such as kids - then there'd be something to be said for going somewhere completely different. It'd help give a broader appreciation and awareness of the world beyond America (which is already culturally dominant), to appreciate how good we have things here in Ireland or get a perspective on how much material items we really need (there's plenty people in the world living in tents without running water or the latest console games) or to really push the boat out in one particular area (such as food, say - lamb's brains and testicles anyone?). That's all stuff you can absorb on a trip without being too preachy about it too.

A US road trip has the potential for a great trip of course, and I don't want to say one trip is better than another (that's for the family to decide; the family interests and, in particular, the kids' ages will decide a lot, as others have noted) But just wanted to throw out that opposing view.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Gonna throw another idea into the mix and say South Africa and Namibia. Hire a 4x4 and mix it up between staying in hotels and camping. Drive from Joburg along the Garden Route to Cape Town and then up into Namibia.
    The campsites in Etosha National Park are amazing with pools etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I would agree with the last suggestion except shift it to Tanzania and visit the Serengeti, Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar. Bit of something for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

cdeb wrote: »
    Just to be a bit contrary - you could argue America is a bit familiar a family trip of a lifetime where culture and adventure are two key criteria.

But if part of travel is to broaden the mind - particularly formative minds such as kids - then there'd be something to be said for going somewhere completely different. It'd help give a broader appreciation and awareness of the world beyond America (which is already culturally dominant), to appreciate how good we have things here in Ireland or get a perspective on how much material items we really need (there's plenty people in the world living in tents without running water or the latest console games) or to really push the boat out in one particular area (such as food, say - lamb's brains and testicles anyone?). That's all stuff you can absorb on a trip without being too preachy about it too.

A US road trip has the potential for a great trip of course, and I don't want to say one trip is better than another (that's for the family to decide; the family interests and, in particular, the kids' ages will decide a lot, as others have noted) But just wanted to throw out that opposing view.

that's actually why we picked japan.
    Somewhere culturally very different, I wanted to try parts of africa but my wife wasn't keen.

That said if we pick America being massive we will do many of the less normal places - less normal as applied to Ireland. National parks would be a big factor

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah Id agree fully with this too which is why I suggested spending the entire time in China/Hong Kong. USA is great and everything but doesnt quite tick the cultural and adventure box in a way that somewhere in the Far East would.

It all depends on the OPs tolerance for a bit of more difficult travel as bringing a 5 year old around China could be tough at times. But also highly rewarding. If they wanted something a bit easier then Japan as suggested by paw patrol would fit the bill, albeit a fair bit more expensive than China.

I think the earlier suggestion of splitting up the holiday to include a theme park somewhere is a good one too. 6 weeks is a fair wedge of time to be travelling with 3 kids so its a good idea to base yourself somewhere for a week of it or so.

Yep. Though I think if you were going to go all the way to China (and it was in my suggestion as well), throwing in 4/5 days in Mongolia could really enhance things. It's a very different culture, and off-roading in the most spectacular open scenery imaginable (there's almost no roads in Mongolia) and watching wildlife by day (watching wild horses, riding tame horses, falconry, etc) while sleeping in gers under the stars at night could provide balance to some city stops as well.

It's connected to Beijing via a spectacular train journey through the Gobi desert, with the unusual feature of a change of wheels at the Mongolia/China border. Then on through rural China, through village scenes which look hundreds of years old, until you get to Beijing, where there's plenty to do of course.

The downside to Mongolia is that you'd probably have to go on an organised tour (what with the genuinely complete lack of roads and signposts and stuff), which would add to the cost.

(The OP is going to have to be careful we don't end up booking the trip for them! Nothing worse than travel enthusiasts in a lockdown :) )

Hey cdeb, thanks so much for the reply and I totally get what your saying and have to agree too. I think while the US have some spectacular sights and would create amazing memories it's also the "safe" easy option as we wouldn't have a language issue and I guess it's more familiar-both myself and my husband have travelled to a few states in the US.

Yeah so really to make this a trip to remember I think it's worth going somewhere completely eye opening and culturally different to anything we've seen before.

Cdeb if you want to plan out and book the trip for us that would be brilliant:D

I must look into Mongolia some more. China and Japan too.
    The issue of the 5year old and all the travel we still have to think about.

It's a good thing it's not for 2.5yrs anyway:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I travelled to China with a 7 year old snd he had a great time. A trip to Chengdu to see Pandas is a good addition too and it’s pretty cheap, we had a high end hotel apartment for €100 a night.

We finished our holiday in Hong Kong and there is soooo much to do but it’s good to get in the kid friendly options of Disney too.

Muahahaha wrote: »

Another option might be to do this. Fly into Florida and then either at the start of the 6 weeks or the end of it spend 7-10 days doing all the theme and waterparks with the kids. Then fly down to San Jose, Costa Rica and spend a few weeks there. Costa Rica is a small compact country (ie short distances) with both Pacific and Caribbean coasts and then rainforests, waterfalls, jungles and active volcanoes in the interior. It is well set up for families and has a developed eco tourism industry there. You could spend 2 or 3 days with the entire family volunteering at the rescued turtle sancturary or the sloth sancturary, kids would love getting up close with animals like that. Because you've a few weeks there Id also suggest using 5 or 6 days to do one of these two things
    -Hire a skippered yacht and load it up with food.Kids would love the adventure of being on a sail boat, doing a little bit of island hopping, stopping off at empty beaches and going snorkelling. The 15 and 11 year old (and you parents) could also get involved in helping to sail the yacht under instruction from the skipper which is a lot of fun and adventure.
    -Or take 5-6 days and bring the family to learn how to scuba dive. It would involve 2 days on shore for lessons in a swimming pool and then join a liveaboard for 4 days to scuba dive on coral reefs offshore. The downside is the 5yr old would be restricted to snorkeling but if you could live with that you'd open the eyes of the other two to a whole new underwater world and give them a hobby for life. Research timings but it is possible in Costa Rica to scuba dive with hammerhead sharks and whale sharks at certain times of the year, that would be a very memorable experience

Really liking this idea too actually, love the idea of spending a few days on an animal sanctuary and i think we'd need to break down the holiday to be able to spend 4-5 days in one place here and there.

Just thinking now like with all the culture we want to soak up and experiences i'd imagine our kids would be happy with 6 weeks on a beach in Portugal:rolleyes: which is grand but we want more than that and hoping they'll appreciate discovering new cultures and experiences

• Advertisement

I travelled to China with a 7 year old snd he had a great time. A trip to Chengdu to see Pandas is a good addition too and it’s pretty cheap, we had a high end hotel apartment for €100 a night.

We finished our holiday in Hong Kong and there is soooo much to do but it’s good to get in the kid friendly options of Disney too.

Cool that's great to hear! the 7 year old loved it so? How long was your trip? Thanks!

Advertisement