Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIL 2020-2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Cormac Brennan hasnt played rugby in 2 years since getting concussion in August 2018 in a pre season friendly v DUFC. Believe he has been playing GAA

Didn't know that, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Looked over AIL since start-up. While Shannon are the most successful club, Cork Con are the most consistent. Maybe because they have the pick of Cork. The way Cons are going, it won't be long before they catch-up and then overtake Shannon. Could be another good few years before, if ever, rediscover their glory days. Limerick city as five senior clubs - Munsters, Garryowen, Shannon, Crescent and Bohs - all pulling from the same supply chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Looked over AIL since start-up. While Shannon are the most successful club, Cork Con are the most consistent. Maybe because they have the pick of Cork. The way Cons are going, it won't be long before they catch-up and then overtake Shannon. Could be another good few years before, if ever, rediscover their glory days. Limerick city as five senior clubs - Munsters, Garryowen, Shannon, Crescent and Bohs - all pulling from the same supply chain.

I don't fully get your point. Cork City has 5 senior clubs too. Cork Con, UCC, Highfield, Dolphin and Sundays Well.

These things are always in swings and roundabouts. When Shannon were at their most successful it was a different time but are a good old historic club. Cork Con might pass them out but nothing is guaranteed in sport

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gatekeeper23

Any other transfer news floating about?

Ed O'Keeffe gone to Lansdowne. Pa Ryan gone to the Cookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

I wonder how much academy and pro players will be released... not much game time for wider squad players in the provinces unless they schedule some A games.

• Advertisement

I don't fully get your point. Cork City has 5 senior clubs too. Cork Con, UCC, Highfield, Dolphin and Sundays Well.

These things are always in swings and roundabouts. When Shannon were at their most successful it was a different time but are a good old historic club. Cork Con might pass them out but nothing is guaranteed in sport
    Swings and roundabouts is a sporting truism but Cons record of winning six AIL's and finishing runners-up in nine speaks for itself. I just feel that in Cork there is a pyramid structure where many young players feel that they can improve their chances of being noticed by signing with Cons. In Limerick you have a much flatter structure. Undoubtedly Cons are a fine club and are my favourites to win the AIL again this season.

Swings and roundabouts is a sporting truism but Cons record of winning six AIL's and finishing runners-up in nine speaks for itself. I just feel that in Cork there is a pyramid structure where many young players feel that they can improve their chances of being noticed by signing with Cons. In Limerick you have a much flatter structure. Undoubtedly Cons are a fine club and are my favourites to win the AIL again this season.

apart from Munster by in large rarely give those Con players a chance at playing for Munster or earning a pro contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

not simply pick of cork. Had that and good bit more. Shannon wont ever rediscover their glory days. Far more clubs nearby gone senior and players preferring to stay with their home clubs. As well as plenty north Munster players just not based in around city any morw

lot more of cork clubs were not and havent been up at division 1 level. Players will move to con lot easier from UCC and other clubs in cork than move between clubs in limerick.
    I wonder how much academy and pro players will be released... not much game time for wider squad players in the provinces unless they schedule some A games.
    why focus so much on just guys in pro set up. The sport is so much more than that
    big time. Con influence so much bigger in cork than any club in limerick

why focus so much on just guys in pro set up. The sport is so much more than that

quality police work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Alex Thompson gone back to Terenure

Rumour Harrison Brewer also returning

• Advertisement

Dublin clubs seem to take turns in challenging for league honours - Marys, Lansdowne, Tarf- the Ulster clubs seem all over the place with different clubs coming and going into and from 1A and the Galway clubs - Corinthians and Galwegians - languishing in 2B - this season's division of death!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭luke9311

Any other transfer news floating about?

Ed O'Keeffe gone to Lansdowne. Pa Ryan gone to the Cookies.

Ed didn’t get much game time I don’t think with Wes last season prior to the outbreak I don’t think did he? Wasn’t he injured for abit?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

wouldnt be so sure on Monkstown as side to be promoted.
    Ashbourne and few others all bit ahead even if Monkstown have recruited heavily
    they'd have plenty Michael's connections already with huge numbers of their minis going on to Michael's. They wont get near the AIL until they start fielding teams at all age groups and developing a far better development systen

they were fairly consistent for a long time in the AIL in the old division2 until around 14/15. Never really pushing for promotion or looking likely to be relegated but just drifted down the divisions after that

it shouldnt be. Standard of top level junior rugby is very high and a bit of travelling really shouldnt impact any player who has desire to play decent rugby

On that last point, I genuinely believe LL1A is a higher standard than AIL 2C.

Faugheen wrote: »

On that last point, I genuinely believe LL1A is a higher standard than AIL 2C.
    I wouldnt say entire division is but the top 8-10 junior sides at a minimum would be better than a lot of 2C sides

Stainalert wrote: »

Surprised in a way he’s behind it and no mention of Denis O’Brien given the connections that man has with wanderers lol

luke9311 wrote: »
    Surprised in a way he’s behind it and no mention of Denis O’Brien given the connections that man has with wanderers lol
    Watched a few matches in Merrion Road over past season or two and noticed that this sleeping giant is beginning to shake itself. They would probably have gained promotion through the play-offs last season if the season had ended naturally.

Watched a few matches in Merrion Road over past season or two and noticed that this sleeping giant is beginning to shake itself. They would probably have gained promotion through the play-offs last season if the season had ended naturally.

Ye think? I certainly wouldnt rule them out of promo by any means tbh but i always thought malahide would have been destined to promo with the squad they have and form in last 2/3 years etc... I said it too at the start of last season to the boys on club scene podcast that it will be interesting to see what blaneys impact would be in rock in his first season and they will get promoted i wasnt too far wrong like. Think rock will be wanting to get back to their days of division 1 rugby as well tbh

Ye think? I certainly wouldnt rule them out of promo by any means tbh but i always thought malahide would have been destined to promo with the squad they have and form in last 2/3 years etc... I said it too at the start of last season to the boys on club scene podcast that it will be interesting to see what blaneys impact would be in rock in his first season and they will get promoted i wasnt too far wrong like. Think rock will be wanting to get back to their days of division 1 rugby as well tbh
    I agree. Malahide would have won the league but, I think, Wanderers would have been promoted through the play-offs. Division 2B is very hard to call with, last year, 6 sides vying for the top 4. Very good standard in 2B last season. Couldn't really make an informed prediction as to how it's going to go this season.

• Advertisement

I agree. Malahide would have won the league but, I think, Wanderers would have been promoted through the play-offs. Division 2B is very hard to call with, last year, 6 sides vying for the top 4. Very good standard in 2B last season. Couldn't really make an informed prediction as to how it's going to go this season.

Yeah very true think malahide will go on to win outright next season tbh and rock will be there there abouts I think too blaney is a solid coach

Yeah very true think malahide will go on to win outright next season tbh and rock will be there there abouts I think too blaney is a solid coach
    Blaney certainly knows his stuff and was very successful at Terenure. He will certainly have his work cut out to get Rock out of 2B this season. There's Malahide, the two Galway clubs, Rock, Wanderers, Greystones and even Sligo, who did very well last season, all in contention. Not to forget Dungannon and Belfast Harlequins. Very tight and all to play for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Malahide are losing a lot of players to Bective. Would imagine this will affect them going forward, and could slip out of top 4.

Malahide are losing a lot of players to Bective. Would imagine this will affect them going forward, and could slip out of top 4.
    Surprised to read that Malahide are losing players as they were recruiting like mad over the last few seasons. Maybe the players they're losing are squad members more so than first team starters?

Yeah I think malahide have the odd few michaels lads out there wouldn’t surpise me if they go to Bective given the connection jackman has to the school but would have thought ail club would attract players rather than junior rugby Leinster league

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Yeah I think malahide have the odd few michaels lads out there wouldn’t surpise me if they go to Bective given the connection jackman has to the school but would have thought ail club would attract players rather than junior rugby Leinster league

Or the fact there unable to offer there players the financial means and compensation for playing in 2b that they were promised within the last few years when joining.. malahide like many of these Dublin clubs in lower levels are only going to go as far as their financial backers take them

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Or the fact there unable to offer there players the financial means and compensation for playing in 2b that they were promised within the last few years when joining.. malahide like many of these Dublin clubs in lower levels are only going to go as far as their financial backers take them

Yeah very true but still what benefit would they get in likes of Bective? I made the point a while back 9-10 years back Bective had a decent team got a flock of players from clubs like ucc Clontarf I think one of two from Belvo too and pushed for 1b that season (when they were playing 2a ail) and didn’t get it and then just went downhill from there coaches left players went to other clubs etc I could be wrong but I just see Bective doing the same again even if they get back into ail next year or season after can’t see players sticking around too long

Yeah very true but still what benefit would they get in likes of Bective? I made the point a while back 9-10 years back Bective had a decent team got a flock of players from clubs like ucc Clontarf I think one of two from Belvo too and pushed for 1b that season (when they were playing 2a ail) and didn’t get it and then just went downhill from there coaches left players went to other clubs etc I could be wrong but I just see Bective doing the same again even if they get back into ail next year or season after can’t see players sticking around too long
    they were a side that never ultimately were near good enough to push for promotion from division 2 to division 1 or when the change came to division 1B. But were majority of seasons more than good enough to avoid relegation to division 3. In the time of 15/16 team divisions they finished more often than not 5th/6th but not near the top places. Only lasted 2 seasons in 2B before 1 season in 2C which was the season they went down to junior.
    Bective wont get near senior or anything else unless they totally change their approach at every level including age grade. They used always be able to attract some very decent players to play for them but very very good players will just fo elsewhere now. They need to develop a far better age grade structure and develop within themselves. Tie in their ground in glenamuxk and field youths teams. Work more on their 20s to mix a youths team and the players returning from schools.

they were a side that never ultimately were near good enough to push for promotion from division 2 to division 1 or when the change came to division 1B. But were majority of seasons more than good enough to avoid relegation to division 3. In the time of 15/16 team divisions they finished more often than not 5th/6th but not near the top places. Only lasted 2 seasons in 2B before 1 season in 2C which was the season they went down to junior.
    Bective wont get near senior or anything else unless they totally change their approach at every level including age grade. They used always be able to attract some very decent players to play for them but very very good players will just fo elsewhere now. They need to develop a far better age grade structure and develop within themselves. Tie in their ground in glenamuxk and field youths teams. Work more on their 20s to mix a youths team and the players returning from schools.

Yeah hard not to disagree with you there can’t see Bective or any club in junior or lower ail divisions going up the ranks without a good system in place your likes of the bigger clubs doing well these days like con tarf Lansdowne and Belvo to an extend in 1b have all strong enough 20s squads/strength and depth there to choose from etc. In that Bective squad I spoke about then it was kinda destined in a way to fail given they didn’t value the underage set up and heavily relied on players like Henry Bryce and players from other clubs etc coming in to do the work for them. Most of them coaches of that squad interestingly enough are over the Greystones seniors now and they have a 20s set up and going right down to underage ranks

• Advertisement

Yeah hard not to disagree with you there can’t see Bective or any club in junior or lower ail divisions going up the ranks without a good system in place your likes of the bigger clubs doing well these days like con tarf Lansdowne and Belvo to an extend in 1b have all strong enough 20s squads/strength and depth there to choose from etc. In that Bective squad I spoke about then it was kinda destined in a way to fail given they didn’t value the underage set up and heavily relied on players like Henry Bryce and players from other clubs etc coming in to do the work for them. Most of them coaches of that squad interestingly enough are over the Greystones seniors now and they have a 20s set up and going right down to underage ranks
    its not that bective didnt value underage system. They just couldnt attract players for 20s and when i said age grade i meant 13s to 18s. The club needs to be fielding at all these age groups year in year out. Getting kids in the rugby schools who are on 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, and then from the non rugby schools. Play in school-club or the youths leagues.
    Con field at every age group after years of not having much at under 16s and 18s then fielding strong 20s. Lansdowne have decent underage teams as well fielding in school-club leagues

Advertisement