Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm tempted to pick up an S3. Haven't had a smart watch before, but i like the look of this, and it would be handy for golf. It's a hell of a lot more expensive than any watch i've bought before, but i might take the plunge (or do some sort of payment scheme :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I'm buying soon but not sure which one to go for.
    The most useful thing on the watch will definitely be Android Pay so, with that in mind, any NFC enabled WearOS watches recommended?

I was going to get the Amazfit Stratos until I realised it's not WearOS and I'd have to use AliPay.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭daithilfc

d31b0y wrote: »
    I'm buying soon but not sure which one to go for.
    The most useful thing on the watch will definitely be Android Pay so, with that in mind, any NFC enabled WearOS watches recommended?

I was going to get the Amazfit Stratos until I realised it's not WearOS and I'd have to use AliPay.
    I was in the same boat as you recently, was looking around at all the options and wanted to stick to WearOS. 
    In the end it was between the Fossil Explorist and the Huawei Watch 2. 

I decided in the end on the Fossil but that did mean no NFC or heart rate monitor. I mainly wanted a classy smart watch which looked good day to day and could offer me the main Android OS functionality and I said that if I was going to use the watch for anything major activity ways (more than just steps counter) I would pick up a more robust fitness band .
    Another thing which went towards my decision is that I could go to harvey Norman and see the Fossil where as the Huawei  seems to be only available on order from Currys so no way of looking at it in the flesh.

My only disappointment is missing out on NFC but overall i'm happy with the choice I made.

So had a good look and it appears the only one that's readily available that supports Android Pay is the Huawei Watch 2. Now to find the cheapest price for it.
    I can see it on amazon.de for €257 delivered. Anywhere else I should check?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm taking delivery of the Xiaomi Amazfit 2 on Monday -
    will let you know what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

So had a good look and it appears the only one that's readily available that supports Android Pay is the Huawei Watch 2. Now to find the cheapest price for it.

I have this watch and Android Pay is not officaly supported in Ireland on Android Oreo yet. The app keeps getting disabled on the watch. To use it I have to re-enable it but then after 20 mins or so it will be gone from the watch again.

Its still far quicker just to use my mobile for payments with all the hassle of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

I got mine from Amazon Warehouse UK. It had a description of "Used" but arrived in excellent condition and looked brand new. Cost me around €150. I like the watch but wouldn't pay much more for it

coach22 wrote: »
    I got mine from Amazon Warehouse UK. It had a description of "Used" but arrived in excellent condition and looked brand new. Cost me around €150. I like the watch but wouldn't pay much more for it

You're right, about the warehouse deals. £142 with minor cosmetic damage to the packaging.

Patww79 wrote: »

Ah, yeah - I know. Sure the Watch 2 2018 edition is due to come out in the next few weeks but now that I've made my mind up, I want it now :pac:
    How long do you think we'd be waiting to see the majority of new releases? If I paid, ~150 now and sold at the end of the year for ~100 - 120, I wouldn't feel to bad. Seems like the second hand market is fairly high priced for these...
    https://www.donedeal.ie/all?words=huawei%20watch%202&area=Ireland&campaign=14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My Pebble Time is still my daily driver.
    Even with the servers down it's a great watch.

Still using my Pebble Time as well. Servers haven't been shut down yet, they will be at the end of this month though :( Looking for something to replace it for when that finally happens but nothing seems to come close!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I bought a Chinese Android watch the other day... ZGPAX S99C for €100. 1.39" amoled screen, 1GB ram, 1.3ghz processor. Waiting to receive it. If it does what €250 plus smart watches do then I see no reason to be unhappy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

daithilfc wrote: »
    I just ordered the following one for my fossil.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N2NRMA1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3RXbBbZP8S52G

Reports are it works so be handy to have beside the bed

I have been using mine the last few days and seems to be perfect. I have it plugged into usb port on PC so can't judge how fast it is but is doing the job of topping up .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ericaa wrote: »
    Still using my Pebble Time as well. Servers haven't been shut down yet, they will be at the end of this month though :( Looking for something to replace it for when that finally happens but nothing seems to come close!
    I still have a Pebble Time Steel too. Nothing comes close to the 10 day battery life. Had an email from Fitbit offering a paltry discount on one of their watches that was similar in size and shape to the Pebble, but only a max of 4 days battery life iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Not android I know but I picked up a Fitbit Versa a couple of weeks ago. It is actually very good for all notifications from android, good customizable clock faces and some custom apps like Strava (which I haven't tried yet) as well as all the usual FitBit stuff. Can store music also but haven't bothered with that either yet. 4/5 day battery life also. It seems quite like the Pebble Time to be honest which is understandable as FitBit acquired Pebble. For 199 euro I am very impressed with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's the new Ionic that Fitbit are trying to flog to ex-Pebble users. Strange squared off looking thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

Picked up a Xiami Amazit Bip from amazon last week - very happy with it. Gives all the notifications I need, plenty of watch faces available. Over 8 days the battery has dropped from 70% to 44%, so reports of 1 month battery life are not too far off the mark either. Can be got for about €60 from China (and possibly cheaper if you're lucky)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone using the Xiaomi Amazfit 2? Are you happy with it - looks a good price from what I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

i bought an amazfit stratos on adverts for 100 euro, it was in chinese so had to do a bit of jiggery pokery to get it working as I wanted it.

It's exactly what I wanted, not the flashiest watch out there but fast, light, pretty and 4 days battery life per charge.
    Works for most alerts and I can control my spotify playback etc.
    I would recommend it.

• Advertisement

So, I got my Huawei Watch 2. I ordered the normal bluetooth model but appear to have gotten the 4G model. Model number is LEO-DLXX within the system settings but LEO-BX9 on the box.

What can I do with a sim installed? Do I have to pay for another connection or is there some way to (legally) clone my current sim? What's the major benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭daithilfc

yabadabado wrote: »
    I have been using mine the last few days and seems to be perfect. I have it plugged into usb port on PC so can't judge how fast it is but is doing the job of topping up .

Been using mine the last couple weeks and its working perfect too. Have usb plugged into the extension lead and it easily charges up overnight, never really checked how quick its working.

I have noticed the back is a little bit warm when you take it off charge but nothing too major

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone using the Xiaomi Amazfit 2? Are you happy with it - looks a good price from what I can see

I got one about 2 weeks ago , to replace my lost gear s3. Absolutely love it. I don't have notifications on, just use it for time and things like tracking my 5 a side game( constant heartbeat, GPS, distance run etc) and normally get 4 or 5 days from the battery.

coach22 wrote: »
    I have this watch and Android Pay is not officaly supported in Ireland on Android Oreo yet. The app keeps getting disabled on the watch. To use it I have to re-enable it but then after 20 mins or so it will be gone from the watch again.

Its still far quicker just to use my mobile for payments with all the hassle of the above

For anyone affected by this, a workaround is to install payenabler from the play store
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brouken.wear.payenabler

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got one of the Verizon Wear24 watches.
    Not your typical WearOS set up.
    Had to turn off the embedded SIM then go through and set permissions.
    Updating has been a curse too.
    Out of the box it was Android Wear 1.5, awkward and slow to get it to WearOS 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dunleas

tipperary wrote: »
    Picked up a Xiami Amazit Bip from amazon last week - very happy with it. Gives all the notifications I need, plenty of watch faces available. Over 8 days the battery has dropped from 70% to 44%, so reports of 1 month battery life are not too far off the mark either. Can be got for about €60 from China (and possibly cheaper if you're lucky)

Current status of my battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tempted to pick up Amazefit Bip - best price looks to be here albeit with a bit of a wait and customs.

https://www.gearbest.com/smart-watches/pp_1126414.html

EDIT: Actually, this ain't bad: https://www.honorbuy.com/1156-amazfit-smart-watch-youth-edition.html

EDIT 2: Went with Joybuying with a $5 voucher in the end: https://www.joybuy.com/600117021.html

Got it for just over €40.60 so even with customs, it'll still probably be cheaper than Amazon. Am in no rush for it so don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Been looking at the lemfo lem7. Anyone on here have one? Or would they even work over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JamboTyson

"For anyone affected by this, a workaround is to install payenabler from the play store"

Just wondering if this workaround is still good as I read elsewhere it's based now on where card is registered? Thinking getting smartwatch and would love to be able to use google pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I bought an Xiaomi Amazfit 2 about a month ago for £150 on Amazon, which is a great price, particularly for what you get. It's a great looking watch, with a big round face, and an always on display. The battery is currently lasting around 4 days, that includes having the heart rate monitor on all the time, although as you'd expect when you switch on an activity that requires GPS the battery drains more quickly. I charged it to 100% on Sunday evening, walked for 4.5 hours on Monday, 4 hours on Tuesday and another 4 hours today, with GPS enabled, and have 15% life left.

It's fully waterproof, and you can do all the usual things like changing the watch faces through the app. The interface on the phone is surprisingly smooth and polished, which I didn't really expect considering it's not an Apple or Android device. The app itself is excellent, with great tracking and visualisation capabilities, although it does consume a fair bit of battery power.

The screen on the watch is very interesting. It actually works and looks much better in full sunlight compared to indoors in low light. There is the usual smartwatch thing of the backlight switching on when you flick your wrist, though I've found this a little inconsistent.

Negatives? As it's not Android or Apple, there are no apps available to install, so although the GPS is accurate, I can't use it for a round of golf, not at the moment anyway.

Overall I love the thing. It can track a very large number of activities such as running, spinning, climbing, including your altitude. The battery life, as already mentioned, is excellent, and in my opinion it looks great. Plus, at that price it's a steal!

Advertisement