Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
16-07-2018, 13:58   #61
Theboinkmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clareman View Post
I used this a few times, great service, didn't push anything like tyres or anything when getting the car valeted, I already have a fuel card so I didn't avail of it.
If you care about your car at all you wouldn't get a dealer "valet" your car, they will destroy the paintwork.
Theboinkmaster is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-07-2018, 14:05   #62
Clareman
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboinkmaster View Post
If you care about your car at all you wouldn't get a dealer "valet" your car, they will destroy the paintwork.
I'd have more faith in a dealer "valet" that most other services, they are used to getting BMW's up to a "show room shine" and I'm sure they've some requirement to only use BMW approved cleaning products, then again if I cared about my car I wouldn't
  • Clean the car myself because of the dirty water
  • Clean the car myself because of stones in the cloths/sponges
  • Clean the car myself because I wouldn't have the right materials
  • Use a car wash because of the damage the rollers will do
  • Use a car wash because of the damage that'll be done to the wheels
  • Use a valet service because of the low grade materials
  • Use a valet service because of the damage the scrapers do
  • {Insert any number of reasons for each type of car washing service}

I would love to have the time/money/expertise to have all the equipment needed to get my car up to a professional shine, I don't unfortunately. I've 2 small kids who aren't allowed to eat in the car but still track all kinds of muck into it as well as hand prints so I'm delighted to get someone to give the car the once over, I always make sure to get the valet a few bob if I spot him around when I'm dropping off or collecting the car.
Clareman is offline  
(2) thanks from:
16-07-2018, 14:14   #63
Toyotafanboi
Moderator
Yeah, being obsessive about your cars cleanliness is great and all but for 99% of people in the real world, keeping the car OCD clean just isn't viable and a wash and vac and a lick of tyre shine from the dealer is great, most people don't really even know what swirl marks are nor why they shouldn't want them. They aren't a guarantee anyway.
Toyotafanboi is offline  
16-07-2018, 15:03   #64
r3nu4l
Moderator
 
r3nu4l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,684
Send a message via MSN to r3nu4l
So did anyone better avail of the original offer and end up getting an i8 or M5 for there days?

Curious as the sceptic within really thinks that they would find an excuse not to let you have one
r3nu4l is offline  
16-07-2018, 15:52   #65
Wailin
Registered User
 
Wailin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotafanboi View Post
Yeah, being obsessive about your cars cleanliness is great and all but for 99% of people in the real world, keeping the car OCD clean just isn't viable and a wash and vac and a lick of tyre shine from the dealer is great, most people don't really even know what swirl marks are nor why they shouldn't want them. They aren't a guarantee anyway.
But it's not about keeping the car "OCD clean", which as you say is not viable anyway. It's about protecting the paintwork and prolonging the freshness of how it looks. I never let a main dealer "valet" my car for that reason alone. Most people are happy that the car is all shiny, but anyone with any knowledge of car detailing will know letting a main dealer near the paintwork is just as bad as putting it through a car wash.
Wailin is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-07-2018, 16:07   #66
Toyotafanboi
Moderator
That's my point. Most people don't have a knowledge of detailing and don't want to have one, once the dirt and debris is gone and the car is tidy presentable they are happy out because a car is just a means of transportation for them.

Anyway, people who are into detailing and preserving vehicles already know this and dont let anyone else touch their cars and that's fine. People who aren't into detailing already don't care about this and have already used a Tesco brush wash a thousand times so letting a main dealer wash their car is really no big deal and they won't gain any value by buying your advice on not doing it.

Anyway it's all a bit over exaggerated IMO. If that's all we have to be worried about, things aren't too bad.
Toyotafanboi is offline  
16-07-2018, 16:07   #67
rizzee
Registered User
 
rizzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,713
So for 17 euro a month you get 1 mini valet per month, 1 premium car wash in topaz per month, bulb replacements, 5c discount on fuel in topaz, windscreen wipers replaced (Surely worth at least 30?) , 20% discount on parts, services and repairs, top ups on oil and liquids.

Seems like excellent value. With the first month free you can get most of that done then cancel?
rizzee is offline  
16-07-2018, 16:13   #68
Theboinkmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clareman View Post
I'd have more faith in a dealer "valet" that most other services, they are used to getting BMW's up to a "show room shine" and I'm sure they've some requirement to only use BMW approved cleaning products,
When I bought my f10 from Frank Keane I received a BMW valet kit bag full of approved products and what was in it? A sponge!!

I've also seen main BMW dealers use sponges on cars. They might make great cars but they know nothing about caring for paintwork - the BMW kit is just re-branded Sonax products, means nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clareman View Post
then again if I cared about my car I wouldn't
  • Clean the car myself because of the dirty water
  • Use grit guards.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clareman View Post
  • Clean the car myself because of stones in the cloths/sponges
  • Don't use either - use a mitt.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clareman View Post
  • Clean the car myself because I wouldn't have the right materials
  • Buy them.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clareman View Post
  • Use a car wash because of the damage the rollers will do
  • Use a car wash because of the damage that'll be done to the wheels
  • agreed

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clareman View Post
  • Use a valet service because of the low grade materials
  • Use a valet service because of the damage the scrapers do
  • {Insert any number of reasons for each type of car washing service}
Nonsense - I use a crowd of valet lads to do a weekly wash and they use proper wash mitts and it's just €8 a go, they don't do anything else and they even spray fallout remover on the car first. They do zero damage to the car.

And there are several places around Dublin like that, so you could use them instead of BMW.

I wouldn't let them dry the car or near the inside, have to do that myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clareman View Post
I would love to have the time/money/expertise to have all the equipment needed to get my car up to a professional shine, I don't unfortunately. I've 2 small kids who aren't allowed to eat in the car but still track all kinds of muck into it as well as hand prints so I'm delighted to get someone to give the car the once over, I always make sure to get the valet a few bob if I spot him around when I'm dropping off or collecting the car.
I've 2 small kids too so I know where you're coming from but that's no reason to use BMW to "valet" your car, you seem to be trusting they know what they're doing from the name and I'm telling you they don't - you're just as well as putting it through an automatic car wash as they'll do the same damage. I've witnessed 3 different dealers destroy cars with their "valet" whilst waiting around for work on my own.

There are loads of better options around Dublin.
Theboinkmaster is offline  
16-07-2018, 17:14   #69
Toyotafanboi
Moderator
I think you missed the part where he doesn't care
Toyotafanboi is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-07-2018, 18:05   #70
Clareman
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotafanboi View Post
I think you missed the part where he doesn't care
Very good point well made, I change my BMW every 2 years now so it's all good
Clareman is offline  
16-07-2018, 18:08   #71
Clareman
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboinkmaster View Post
When I bought my f10 from Frank Keane I received a BMW valet kit bag full of approved products and what was in it? A sponge!!
I've 2 of those kits now, I used some of the products in 1 of them the other is unused. I'll head out to the shed in a while to take a picture of what's in them
Clareman is offline  
Thanks from:
16-07-2018, 18:11   #72
mikeecho
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clareman View Post
I'd have more faith in a dealer "valet" that most other services, they are used to getting BMW's up to a "show room shine" and I'm sure they've some requirement to only use BMW approved cleaning products, then again if I cared about my car I wouldn't..
yet, I specifically tell the main dealer(the very rare time I use them ) NOT to wash or valet the car.

they'll either use a dirty brush, a sponge that has been on the ground more times than dog shìt, and an industrial vacuum that will dragged thru the door sills , all causing scratches.

the only exception is MSL motors, who I don't use, ... But they operate a two bucket system and I believe lambs wool mits, at least in cork anyway to the best if my knowledge.

was recently at BMW Welt.. And the condition of the paint work in the museum was a disgrace, however the mercedes museum .. the cars were immaculate.

audi in ingolstadt has a shot museum.. But what do you expect for €2 ( food was nice though) and the cars paint work was in good condition.

(this coming from a BMW fanboy)
mikeecho is offline  
Thanks from:
16-07-2018, 18:20   #73
Clareman
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,342
The lad in Conlon's BMW is very good, he has dropped me to work a few times, I'd have my utmost faith in him.

This is the BMW set


Same stuff in both
Clareman is offline  
(2) thanks from:
16-07-2018, 19:09   #74
Theboinkmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clareman View Post
The lad in Conlon's BMW is very good, he has dropped me to work a few times, I'd have my utmost faith in him.

This is the BMW set


Same stuff in both
They're the set I have and prove they don't have a clue on proper car care, some of that stuff will certainly damage your car.
Theboinkmaster is offline  
20-07-2018, 15:35   #75
Kaizersoze81
Registered User
 
Kaizersoze81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,219
So getting back on topic. I signed up for the free month trial last week. Went to the dealers today and got wipers fitted for free. Got a quote for my annual service which was €400. With the 20% discount it works out at €320. You can’t go wrong signing up to this especially if you’ve an upcoming service or need new wipers / bulbs
Kaizersoze81 is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet