Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-11-2010, 21:12   #16
ironclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by thats not gone well View Post
@ironclaw any opinions on something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph-qv4gYAE8
more specifically is it possible with the GoSafe vans? (purely theoreretical ofcourse :wink: )
To keep everything in line with rules I can't give an opinion. However, any countermeasure you use or try to use is a) Most likely illegal b) The cost of the countermeasure plus the possible fine you'd get for using it would be more than possibly 10 speed fines.

Its just not worth it.
Advertisement
28-11-2010, 21:48   #17
thats not gone well

Quote:
any countermeasure you use or try to use is a) Most likely illegal b) The cost of the countermeasure plus the possible fine you'd get for using it would be more than possibly 10 speed fines.
valid points, however the cameras must have a range of detection too. as in they wont register something travelling at <10km/h up to 200km/h say.

any idea what the upper end of detection would be? just out of interest more than anything. the likelihood of getting a car capable of it is very very slim haha
28-11-2010, 22:28   #18
ironclaw

Well I can't say, but there is a verified snap from Poland of an Enzo at 228km/ph.

Baring in mind that speed is irrelevant if you coming towards the camera. Going away, maybe but it depends on the angle. Your not going to out run it

Last edited by ironclaw; 29-11-2010 at 07:53.
28-11-2010, 23:57   #19
bazzachazza

GoSafe cameras can pick you up at 1000m's and will then take your picture at 100m's.

They can also monitor all 4 lanes at once and catch 4 car's per second.
29-11-2010, 07:52   #20
ironclaw

Quote:
GoSafe cameras can pick you up at 1000m's and will then take your picture at 100m's.
Unlikely. 1000m at tops. But its required to take a "double tap" to ensure an accurate speed measurement (At least on Laser systems which are FAR superior). They are unlikely to set up a place than requires a 1000m shot. Even so they will measure at a closer distance, then snap. You'd be unlikely, even from a photo perspective, to be snapped at over 200m.

Quote:
They can also monitor all 4 lanes at once and catch 4 car's per second
I'm unaware of any road in Ireland that is 4 lanes wide. If you talking about either side of a dual carriageway or motorway, then that statement is pure rubbish given the central medium.

The 4 cars per second is probably true as its a video based system, so basically any car through the gate can be rewound and snapped if necessary. But 4 cars, simultaneously, is nonsense.

There are systems that can do what your saying, obviously made for American freeways. But they are multicam systems and as such won't be applicable to a roadside van (The expense alone). It would be complete overkill for Ireland.
Advertisement
29-11-2010, 09:43   #21
bazzachazza

Quote:
I'm unaware of any road in Ireland that is 4 lanes wide. If you talking about either side of a dual carriageway or motorway, then that statement is pure rubbish given the central medium.
M50,N4 and N7 ??????? 4 lanes wide, 3 driving lanes and an auxiliary lane or on the National routes 3 driving lanes and a bus lane. ALL these lanes motorist can speed in. You really should get out more.

Quote:
Unlikely. 1000m at tops. But its required to take a "double tap" to ensure an accurate speed measurement (At least on Laser systems which are FAR superior). They are unlikely to set up a place than requires a 1000m shot. Even so they will measure at a closer distance, then snap. You'd be unlikely, even from a photo perspective, to be snapped at over 200m.
I said CAN PICK i.e. thats their MAX range, I didn't say they would. By this I mean they will monitor you from up to 1km away and then take your picture when you are 100m away. When they actually take your image and double tap you is up to them.
29-11-2010, 10:31   #22
eringobragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzachazza View Post
M50,N4 and N7 ??????? 4 lanes wide, 3 driving lanes and an auxiliary lane or on the National routes 3 driving lanes and a bus lane. ALL these lanes motorist can speed in. You really should get out more.

I said CAN PICK i.e. thats their MAX range, I didn't say they would. By this I mean they will monitor you from up to 1km away and then take your picture when you are 100m away. When they actually take your image and double tap you is up to them.
Not a bloody chance it can pick up at that range, If a RADAR detector (Top Range) can only pick these things up at 200-300 metres, you only have to consult science to realise the range (see Doppler effect). These things use low pulsed K Band RADAR which means you need to be on top on them before they take a pic of you same as any photo RADAR device.

Less of the scaremongering.
(4) thanks from:
29-11-2010, 12:39   #23
ironclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by eringobragh View Post
Not a bloody chance it can pick up at that range, If a RADAR detector (Top Range) can only pick these things up at 200-300 metres, you only have to consult science to realise the range (see Doppler effect). These things use low pulsed K Band RADAR which means you need to be on top on them before they take a pic of you same as any photo RADAR device.

Less of the scaremongering.
Your quite right.Top end detection would be a good few km however.There is one unit that got k band at 11km in downtown Sydney. These units won't read your speed at a 1km and snap you at 50m.They'll tag and snap at the same time at a more likely distance of 50m. The chance of error beyond that is high.

I fully respect any valid arguement contary to mine but please be prepared to file a source.
29-11-2010, 13:06   #24
bazzachazza

Ok I stand corrected
Advertisement
29-11-2010, 23:48   #25
Mc Love

Anyone know if the GoSafe vans operate at night (bad light conditions)? Or are they on the road 24/7?
29-11-2010, 23:58   #26
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Love View Post
Anyone know if the GoSafe vans operate at night (bad light conditions)? Or are they on the road 24/7?
24/7 is the contract. The one that was burnt out was at quarter to five am sure.

However, as its K band RADAR I can't see the reliability in heavy rain or snow being, erm, anything in fact.
30-11-2010, 09:51   #27
ironclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYOB View Post
24/7 is the contract. The one that was burnt out was at quarter to five am sure.

However, as its K band RADAR I can't see the reliability in heavy rain or snow being, erm, anything in fact.
Thats true but I'd be interested to see a legal precedent. Laser is also useless snow, wet etc.
30-11-2010, 13:08   #28
Forgewire

Do these mobile vans use K band (both Garda and GoSafe)? I just want to turn off superwide KA band on my Redline to get edge on K band and offload unit processor.
And how "We get an initial reading at 100m and snap at 50m" will work? As far as I know they should identify you car at the time of offence, and if the camera range 50 m thats it. If radar sees your car speeding from 100 m and then you slowed down but they still flashed you at 50 m it is a b***** because they didn't identify your car by number plates from 100m in a first place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGPt-AzyTcg

Last edited by Forgewire; 30-11-2010 at 18:25.
30-11-2010, 13:42   #29
Forgewire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzachazza View Post

They can also monitor all 4 lanes at once and catch 4 car's per second.
RUBBISH !
30-11-2010, 18:32   #30
ironclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgewire View Post
Do these mobile vans use K band (both Garda and GoSafe)? I just want to turn off superwide KA band on my Redline to get edge on K band and offload unit processor.
And how "We get an initial reading at 100m and snap at 50m" will work? As far as I know they should identify you car at the time of offence, and if the camera range 50 m thats it. If radar sees your car speeding from 100 m and then you slowed down but they still flashed you at 50 m it is a b***** because they didn't identify your car by number plates from 100m in a first place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGPt-AzyTcg
From a legal standpoint I'd imagine its Read, ID, Snap at the same time. You'd be most interested in K and Ka. Ku is a bonus. X can be mostly ignored.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion