Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car clamping. Legal??

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I rang pearse st garda station..They said you can not take clamp off and can be done for theft if you do..even if its a private company..in a residential estate

The Gardai are not necessarily experts in the law. You'd really have to talk to a lawyer about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The Gardai are not necessarily experts in the law. You'd really have to talk to a lawyer about this

Dublin street parking is covered by bye-laws and let's face it, everybody knows them by now!

If you park on private property then you do on their terms and conditions.

@edditude - Clamping will be the best thing to happen to Limerick streets. Ordinary citizens will now be able to get parking and go about their business. Win win!

Clamping is a necessary evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

lobber wrote: »
    The estate I am in has brought in clamping with NCPS (nationwide controlled parking systems) now.

What to do eh???
    Buy a bolt cutter remove the clamp and keep removing it. Clamping need only be respected when introduced by a body authorised to make such rules by the state. This means a town council or a State agency authorised to make bylaws.

Remove the clamp and say [1] You didn't see the sign
    [2] You thought the signs were a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stingray75

Buy a bolt cutter remove the clamp and keep removing it. Clamping need only be respected when introduced by a body authorised to make such rules by the state. This means a town council or a State agency authorised to make bylaws.

Place a sign where they'll look for your ticket saying something like "should any person wish to attach a clamp or restrictive device to this vehicle, a €1,000 attachment fee shall apply".

and keep a bolt cutters in the boot...a good big one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,492 ✭✭✭✭Victor

stingray75 wrote: »
    Place a sign where they'll look for your ticket saying something like "should any person wish to attach a clamp or restrictive device to this vehicle, a €1,000 attachment fee shall apply".

and keep a bolt cutters in the boot...a good big one...
    Possibly not effective as (a) it doesn't necessarily put them on notice (b) they'll just remove the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mrpdriver

"hunt down its own customers" ??? Oh cop yourself on. You broke the rules and got caught. You're a customer when you are in the store but once you leave its only right that you now give up your parking space to the next person. I worked in Aldi Arklow and only once say someone actually spend over and hour (plus another 30mins grace period) in the store genuinely shopping. This lady had had a stroke and was therefore very slow. She has her fee refunded. All other people when forced to be honest either were shopping in the shopping center, having lunch in the shopping centre, at the cinema etc. etc. And of course everyone claims not to have see the 10 clearly positioned signs in the carpark and another 6 signs in the store stating that clamping was in place. The only sympathy I do have for people is that €120 is excessive but this is not set by Aldi and neither do the get 1 cent of it. Its out of their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrpdriver

You broke the rules and got caught. You weren't a few mins late. You were a few mins on top of the already added grace period late. A grace period is there to allow for such unforeseen events that make people late. Lets be fair a dirty nappy isn't exactly unforeseen. Babies dirty nappies on a regular basis.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Whilst there is generally no rule against resurrecting an old thread (in fact, quite the opposite), you have added nothing so I am locking this thread. If you want to start a new thread with some points worthy of actual legal discussion, please feel free.

Please read the forum charter together with applicable stickied threads before posting here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Serious question lads: If someone attaches anything to your car does it not then make it your property??

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Guess I'm not locking this then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,492 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Serious question lads: If someone attaches anything to your car does it not then make it your property??

No. If a garda puts handcuffs on you, does that make the handcuffs yours?

Of it you boss tells you to put on those safety overalls, does that mean your boss now owns you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If you think so then surely in general you think that any property you fix to somebody else's property becomes their property?

E.g. if you park your car on someone's property it becomes their property...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

TheChizler wrote: »
    If you think so then surely in general you think that any property you fix to somebody else's property becomes their property?

E.g. if you park your car on someone's property it becomes their property...

Sorry, I should have made myself a bit clearer...If a private clamping company attaches a clamp to your car can you argue that it is now yours?? you can of course remove it and give it back to them if you felt like it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/leader-local/limerick-man-fined-for-removing-clamp-from-his-car-1-5183282

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sorry, I should have made myself a bit clearer...If a private clamping company attaches a clamp to your car can you argue that it is now yours?? you can of course remove it and give it back to them if you felt like it?

I wouldn't think that would be any more valid than them locking the gates and saying they now own the car, i.e. no.

MAYBE you could argue something if you had a sign up similar to the clamping signs, implying that they accept the risk, but I imagine you accepting the risk by parking there in the first place would take precedence. I have no idea really. Don't try it.

Advertisement