Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To ZV or not to ZV?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

tc20 wrote:
    I have silver on black plates on my 72 merc, takes the guess work out for others ;)
    I was under the impression that if you chose "dated" plates when first registering the car, you stuck with them, but if you first chose ZVs you could, if you wished to, change these once back to dated plates.
    just my 2c
    other way round TC:D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

I went to Paris to get mine made up especially to suit the Panhard PL, front and rear are completely different shape wise, but the perfect fit and only cost €90.00 for the pair.63 TS 500 rear plate.JPG

63 TS 500 front.JPG. Do they not look better than an ZV??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

funnily enough we were talking this very morning about getting french style plates for my ex France Taunus Coupe....73 C9 00:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Eric318

Funny how tastes differ. I quite like the new Euro plates. My 75 Jag looks so new, that it will be on Euro plates, well not at the front where it will get a US format plate because of the shape of the bumper.

For the MGB though, I got a ZV (but with 4 digits only). But the metal plates I have seen so far look either way too old (like 50s style), or way too 80s... I am looking at getting acrylic plates.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Eric318 wrote:
    For the MGB though, I got a ZV (but with 4 digits only). But the metal plates I have seen so far look either way too old (like 50s style), or way too 80s... I am looking at getting acrylic plates.
    :rolleyes:

Where (i.e. motor factors/website) have you seen such plates?

I'm on the 'look out' for '80's-style plates?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

I imported my 86 BMW in June last year, its on 86 D plates, silver stamped on black. Not had any problems at all and I dont expect any.

try europlates by fairyhouse Sivera, they do the stamped ones, they are th oly place I know of that do red plates with the individual raised letters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

its on 86 D plates, silver stamped on black. Not had any problems at all and I dont expect any
    You shouldn't have any problems as your plates are legal AFAIK.

Vehicles Registered prior to 1 January, 1987

(d) Reflex Reflecting Registration Plates
    Front registration plates should have black numbers and letters on a white background. Rear registration
    plates should have black numbers and letters on a red or white background.

(e) Non-Reflex Reflecting Registration Plates
    Front and rear registration plates should have white, silver or light grey numbers and letters on a black
    background

(f) Back Lit Registration Numbers and Letters
    Where registration numbers and letters are back lit they should appear white in front and either white or red
    to the rear during lighting up hours. At all other times they should appear white on a black background.
    (g) Minimum dimensions for letters and numbers should be as shown in the sketch on page 4.
    (h) Where the indented space provided for the number plate is not sufficient to accommodate a standard size
    number plate, the registration plate and registration letters and numbers may be reduced in size relative to
    the space provided for the number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

I imported my 86 BMW in June last year, its on 86 D plates, silver stamped on black. Not had any problems at all and I dont expect any.

try europlates by fairyhouse Sivera, they do the stamped ones, they are th oly place I know of that do red plates with the individual raised letters too.

To my knowledge all vehicles first registered in Ireland after 1/1/1991 must display their registrations on 'euro' plates.
    (Except for ZV, ZZ or Trade Plates)

Having said that, most gardai would not bother with silver-on-black plates on an older car......except if they stopped you for another offence(s), then they could include the plates in the list of offences.

Thanks for the 'Europlates' tip .......I will check them out.
    Would like to get red plates made up. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Eric318

Finally got some plates made.

For the MG, ZV in black on white acrylics, looks neat and smart.

For the Jag, 75 D in black on white, no IRL or Euro decal, neat and smart too. I am still to make the front plate, US format. I have US plate, I am now buying stick on numbers. I figure I will plead ignorance (wiz a very strong French accent) if I am stopped by ze authorities... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

I agree with the ZV plates :-) They look so much better on classics.

I often wonder what the VRU are going to do in a few years time, when they figure out that they want to use numbers that have already been used. I know of someone that has a 34-KE-1 reg. I've heard of cars in Dublin that have 15-D reg plates. Now that's only 8 years away!!

I know that for an administrative fee of €50 you can reregister a car that's over 30 years old (ie 72-C-...) to a ZV plate. Would this become compulsary as the years progress?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

2cv wrote:
    I agree with the ZV plates :-) They look so much better on classics.

I often wonder what the VRU are going to do in a few years time, when they figure out that they want to use numbers that have already been used. I know of someone that has a 34-KE-1 reg. I've heard of cars in Dublin that have 15-D reg plates. Now that's only 8 years away!!

I know that for an administrative fee of €50 you can reregister a car that's over 30 years old (ie 72-C-...) to a ZV plate. Would this become compulsary as the years progress?

interesting point, but as you say the numbers will already have been used. Whats the lord mayor of dublin gonna be driving, assuming his xx D 1 plate will already be in circulation? If there was an instance of reg duplication, sometime in the near future, and lets say the car was involved in some sort of nefarious goings-on, im sure it would be easy to give a description of the vehicle involved ... "yes guard, it was a current reg Model T ford..." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

What the government could do is make all registrations over let's say 50 years invalid and re-register the ones that are still "alive" to ZV plates (or some sort of equivalent). This will free up all the older plates so that there won't be any conflict in the future.

The current situation is not tenable... If someone buys a 1908 car and brings it in, in theory they could chose let's say 08-D-1. The problem could arise sooner than people think :-)

I'm really curious to find out what the government is going to do about this situration?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

I have a 30year old irish reg. vehicle and would like to get ZV plates for it but all I am getting is don't knows!!

I checked my local tax office they said NCTS deals with them and when I called them they said they only deal with imported vintage for ZV plates.

Could someone enlighten me please.
    :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Congratulations for opening a 12 year old thread!

If you vehicle is 30 years old is an 88 car so why would you want a ZV plate? Is the vehicle an import? If not then I don't think you can change the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Old thread....Yes, you can get ZV reg on a post 1986 vehicle and you can have them on pre 1987 style too even if they are the year/county type.
    The laws are based on being over 30 years and not pre 1987.
    It really is a mess at this stage.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1991/si/357/made/en/print

EXPLANATORY NOTE.

These Regulations provide for a clearer legal framework for the allocation of registration numbers (including year numerals) for vehicles on the basis of the year of first use of the vehicles concerned. Such vehicles include imported used vehicles; and vehicles declared "new" which were used unregistered, prior to the year of registration in the State.

The Regulations also provide for the allocation of special registration numbers (unused ZV series) to veteran and vintage cars (over 30 years old). Such cars will be allowed to display numbers on old style (pre 1987) plates.

The Regulations also allow cars registered prior to 1st January, 1987 to display registration plates incorporating EC flag and the name of city/county of registration in the Irish language.

The Regulations also increase (from £3 to £5) the fee payable for extracts from the register of vehicle particulars (registered owner for tax purposes, insurer etc.) maintained by licensing authorities.

The Regulations also incorporate a number of technical amendments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

why on earth would you devalue the car when it's a genuine Irish survivor.?

hi5 wrote: »
    Old thread....Yes, you can get ZV reg on a post 1986 vehicle and you can have them on pre 1987 style too even if they are the year/county type.
    The laws are based on being over 30 years and not pre 1987.
    It really is a mess at this stage.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1991/si/357/made/en/print

EXPLANATORY NOTE.

These Regulations provide for a clearer legal framework for the allocation of registration numbers (including year numerals) for vehicles on the basis of the year of first use of the vehicles concerned. Such vehicles include imported used vehicles; and vehicles declared "new" which were used unregistered, prior to the year of registration in the State.

The Regulations also provide for the allocation of special registration numbers (unused ZV series) to veteran and vintage cars (over 30 years old). Such cars will be allowed to display numbers on old style (pre 1987) plates.

The Regulations also allow cars registered prior to 1st January, 1987 to display registration plates incorporating EC flag and the name of city/county of registration in the Irish language.

The Regulations also increase (from £3 to £5) the fee payable for extracts from the register of vehicle particulars (registered owner for tax purposes, insurer etc.) maintained by licensing authorities.

The Regulations also incorporate a number of technical amendments.

Thanks for the quick reply to old thread

So from that I gather I fill in form RF102 and send it off to my local motor tax office for them to search their database for the vehicle details as it has been off the road for 15 years and no longer appears on the webpage.:)

Isambard wrote: »
    why on earth would you devalue the car when it's a genuine Irish survivor.?

That is a matter of opinion.;)

it is yes I agree. But wouldn't you rather have the original Irish number than a ZV number that makes it look just the same as all the imports (and looks awful) ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I assume this is an original year reg (e.g. 89 D 1234), and not an old style number?

Worth checking to see what ZV number you'd be getting as they aren't as 'attractive' as they used be when they have just 4 digits.

Once you know what your options are it's purely a matter of taste. Remember though if you change it to ZV it can't be changed back, by you, or the next owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Plus anything after 87 shouldn’t have a zv, the correct format is year-county.
    It will just look stupid on a zv plate.

Dades wrote: »
    I assume this is an original year reg (e.g. 89 D 1234), and not an old style number?

Worth checking to see what ZV number you'd be getting as they aren't as 'attractive' as they used be when they have just 4 digits.

Once you know what your options are it's purely a matter of taste. Remember though if you change it to ZV it can't be changed back, by you, or the next owner.

Yes it is the original year reg 1989 alright.
    I am having difficulty even finding where to get information on getting a ZV number.
    Local motor tax office says they do not issue them and referred me to NCTS
    but they said they only deal with imported vintage vehicles for ZV registration.
    So very :confused::confused:

John Dough wrote: »
    Yes it is the original year reg 1989 alright.
    I am having difficulty even finding where to get information on getting a ZV number.
    Local motor tax office says they do not issue them and referred me to NCTS
    but they said they only deal with imported vintage vehicles for ZV registration.
    So very :confused::confused:

VRT35 is what you need..... I wouldn't do it though

447544860.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Why do you want to put a ZV on an 89 car that shouldn't have one?
    The car already has the correct format.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It gets rid of the county, I've met people who for some strange reason just like their own county or none at all.

i imagine it's done by some to make the car look older, especially if they aren't going to bother with an NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Saw a motorbike the other day with a ZV plate, and what looked like a mobile number on it......looked hideous...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Are you allowed to re-plate a car if it is originally registered here? Didn't think you could do that.

yes you can transfer any 30 year old+ vehicle to a ZV but not the other way

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    It gets rid of the county, I've met people who for some strange reason just like their own county or none at all.

Yes it is a matter of choice :D

Advertisement