Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

pixelburp wrote: »
    Started writing again for the first time in what must be a couple of years: just putting some concepts down on 'paper'.

Anyone else find after protracted inactivity, half the battle is remembering simple mechanics? Like, how one should format & write dialogue, that sort of thing? Already feeling demotivated at the ease with which the basics slipped my mind :(:D

Yep. Had a big struggle when I was trying to get back into writing every day after a while of no writing. The only way to do it is to go easy on yourself, accept that it's going to take time and practice.

Someone once said that it will take you a day for every day you haven't written. I personally don't think it takes nearly that long. A week and you'll be back going.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

The main thing is write every day; even if you only write ten words, do it every single day. Get it back into your blood. The how-to will come in its own time once you are writing regularly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looking at my Big Book of Scribbles I hadn't written in about 2 years :eek: so been trying to write a little bit here and there each day(ish), teasing out some form of coherence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I've been using the Writing Prompts thread on subreddit for inspiration. It's very sci-fi/fantasy themed though which is not my forte. But it still got me writing - I wrote five stories this week - I think that was a record. None of them are particularly great but it's five more stories than I've written in a year and it' really helping me get the fire lit so I can actually get something decent written.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given the time of year, are people experiencing any appropriate bump in enthusiasm for writing at all? Actually finding myself scribbling a bit more lately, via the smart-phone of all things; a larger screen makes it easier to type (tap?) down brain farts and ideas as they come, as opposed to waiting until I'm in front of a computer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I haven't written a single thing since I started my new job. That was the last week of August. Managed to do a small bit of editing at some stage in September, but nothing at all since.

That's a shame InsectOverlord; I'm doing my best to 'just write', and damn perfection. Has been something of a failing with me that I have fretted too much over every line.

Have hit just under 15,000 words, which is a record for me; delighted with this new approach, even though writing as a 'stream of consciousness' will probably leave me with a lot of continuity work to do later. I've set myself a 20,000 word goal: if I reach that, I'll stop, go back and try and massage what's there.

And 20,000 hit, after a spot of manflu and other distractions. Delighted with myself lol.

First time I managed to apply the "just write" philosophy and disengage from obsessing over every line and action. Definitely liberating, and hit the milestone with a narrative hook I can easily backfill when I go back and start splitting / expanding out sections.

And 20,000 hit, after a spot of manflu and other distractions. Delighted with myself lol.

First time I managed to apply the "just write" philosophy and disengage from obsessing over every line and action. Definitely liberating, and hit the milestone with a narrative hook I can easily backfill when I go back and start splitting / expanding out sections.

I lost the knack myself in the past year. I've had to start handwriting my rubbish draft to get over it!

BTW, I'm up for the Hennessy this night next week. Send me good vibes for I think I might implode due to imposter-syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Das Kitty wrote: »
    BTW, I'm up for the Hennessy this night next week. Send me good vibes for I think I might implode due to imposter-syndrome.

Well done. Mega respect. That is the big time.
    Forget about imposter syndrome. You are there on merit. Enjoy your night and we will have fingers crossed and the candles lit.

I lost the knack myself in the past year. I've had to start handwriting my rubbish draft to get over it!

Congrats Kitty, well done :) And g'way with any notions of imposter syndrome, you earned your spot

As for the knack, or lack thereof, I have to say it might be worth giving your smartphone a go (assuming you have one?). It's always on your person and has been great for just scribbling; I doubt I'd have hit my 20k mark if I had to force myself to use the laptop.

So, with the lockdown have folks used it as an excuse to dust off their bits n' pieces? Pull some work out of the (digital) cupboard and give it another go? Have been doing as much myself, on and off, though the absence of any external stimuli & inspiration has made it hard to maintain focus.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been working on the manuscript for my first collection of poetry for nearly two years now. I'm pretty happy with it already (I'm onto the 3rd draft, and obviously each poem went through multiple re-writes as they were individually written) but most of the poems are old now. Some of them first came into existence when I was still a teenager! :P It's hard to work on them now though, with everything else that's going on. They just don't feel very relevant at the moment.

Finding it extremely difficult to write. Delighted for anyone who can.

I've been immersing myself in the Marvel Cinematic Universe for the last week. Great way to forget about creating anything new myself!

I randomly found a piece I submitted to a Short Story competition back in '13; I never remembered writing it! Glanced over it and some came back to me.

In theory all this indoors time should encourage ones hobbies, but the lethargy and somnambulant routine kills my energy.

In theory all this indoors time should encourage ones hobbies, but the lethargy and somnambulant routine kills my energy.

It's the anxiety with me. I can't write when anxious at all. Feeling a bit calmer this week though, so you never know.
    The Francis McManus is coming up so I might put something together for that.

Let me know if you want feedback on your story pixel. That I can still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Finding it difficult to concentrate on anything that requires too much mental effort.

Watching a lot of pointless YouTube videos or shyte on Netflix that I'm not really that bothered about. While I watch things it pains me to see people on screen doing normal everyday things. Imagine that you could meet someone on the street and shake their hand...

I have tried to read a bit over the last few weeks, but I found it pretty useless. It was particularly bad at around the time about three weeks ago when things started to alter swiftly and stunningly and it felt like reality was warping minute by minute hour by hour. Books were like a thing of the old world, what could they have to tell me about this genuinely unprecedented new world?

I've gotten a bit of grip since then. It's amazing how quickly the mind partially even adjusts to a new reality of boarded up shops and empty streets.

The best approach is set a small but very achievable target, say 250 words a day, or keep a Covid virus to write up your experience later, anything just to get a small step forward each and every day, something you know you can do if you set 5-10 minutes aside. Don't add to the Covid misery by setting yourself unachievable targets and then feeling guilty. Get a good, comfortable, easy writing habit, you'll thank yourself in years to come.
    Kieran

• Advertisement

km85264 wrote: »
    The best approach is set a small but very achievable target, say 250 words a day, or keep a Covid virus to write up your experience later, anything just to get a small step forward each and every day, something you know you can do if you set 5-10 minutes aside. Don't add to the Covid misery by setting yourself unachievable targets and then feeling guilty. Get a good, comfortable, easy writing habit, you'll thank yourself in years to come.
    Kieran

My target is to cry no more than once a day at the moment, and I'm on a 5 day streak. :pac:

I think being gentle with ourselves is very important. The words will return in their own time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

It's the anxiety with me. I can't write when anxious at all. Feeling a bit calmer this week though, so you never know.
    The Francis McManus is coming up so I might put something together for that.

Let me know if you want feedback on your story pixel. That I can still do.

Putting something together for the Francis MacManus as well.
    Was working on a story yesterday, but just felt it isn't relevant anymore.

It's hard to work on anything that isn't Covid-related at the moment.

Still plan on finishing the story, but it feels a bit meaningless in comparison to five weeks ago when I thought it had good potential.

My target is to cry no more than once a day at the moment, and I'm on a 5 day streak. :pac:

I think being gentle with ourselves is very important. The words will return in their own time.

That sounds like a good plan. Be gentle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I followed a handy online writer's form for a while. One tip was to write for 20 minutes a day or many be 2-3 A4 pages. Works for me. Although I am stuck now on short story 8 of a volume of 12. Not saying I will ever get them published but still, I might if I think they are good enough.

Dan.

I'm trying to keep to something resembling a daily (or close to) routine, scribbling for 20 minutes on anything that comes to mind. Any scene, no matter how trivial, mundane or the opposite. No more than physical exercise, repetition will keep the "skill" sharp. Often only comes to a measly 400, 500 words but some nice ideas have popped in.

On another note and am dead curious: has anyone ever indulged in any "Fan Fiction"? Could be tricky to get an honest answer - given it can be something of a guilty / secret pleasure - but lately, in the absence of substantial ideas I've wondered if I might dabble myself. I'd have readymade characters, situations and tone all there - something I often struggle with - and could be an interesting exercise to write outside of a conventional comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm going to write something for the Francis McManus short story competition.

Details and rules here:
    https://www.rte.ie/radio1/francis-macmanus-short-story/

Has to be between 1800 and 2000 words, submission by May 8th (3 weeks from tomorrow).

You can also submit online.

Screw it, not like I'm doing anything else with my spare time ATM. I can manage that word count and already have a scene in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Yes, I did send in a story to the RTE competition myself on Tuesday. I will see how it goes.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

On another note and am dead curious: has anyone ever indulged in any "Fan Fiction"? Could be tricky to get an honest answer - given it can be something of a guilty / secret pleasure - but lately, in the absence of substantial ideas I've wondered if I might dabble myself. I'd have readymade characters, situations and tone all there - something I often struggle with - and could be an interesting exercise to write outside of a conventional comfort zone.

I cut my teeth at www.fanfiction.net Had the best time with my favourite characters, and learned a lot from other writers there and from the reviews. Was subsequently published (obviously with original characters/story) but still go back and read the fanfic.

Advertisement