Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nicest Spa? Better than Monart??

Options
  • 21-12-2009 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question but y'all are such fountains of knowledge!
    OH and I are thinking of treating ourselves to a weekend(or maybe midweek) spa-break.
    I've only been to Inchydoney once(and enjoyed it). Have heard good things about Monart - warmer than Inchydoney and breakfast in bathrobes! But have also heard that front of house staff are quite stuffy and even unfriendly/not overly helpful.
    Any views????????
    I'd like it to be special. We don't go away much - kids, work etc. Money is stretched but we'll manage(I hope) but I'd still like to get the most for our buck!
    Thanks for taking the time.
    Looking forward to hearing the skinny.
    j

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maggiemae

Hi I have been to Monart It was difficult to find but when we got to the front gate and buzzed in the reception was lovely. Breakfast can be served in bathrobes no problem. It is hanging around on Sunday lunch that the staff seem to mind. There are people who are not staying in the spa who are arriving for lunch that seems to be the problem.. Naturally they are not on the same relaxed vibe and may prefer fully clothed people...

I couldn't recommend a more relaxing and enjoyable break. I have been to Inchadoney too and I prefer Monart. Not alot of difference but just the odd touch that made it a more enjoyable experience. Eating and drinking while looking out on the water was very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

maggiemae wrote: »
    Hi I have been to Monart It was difficult to find but when we got to the front gate and buzzed in the reception was lovely. Breakfast can be served in bathrobes no problem. It is hanging around on Sunday lunch that the staff seem to mind. There are people who are not staying in the spa who are arriving for lunch that seems to be the problem.. Naturally they are not on the same relaxed vibe and may prefer fully clothed people...

I couldn't recommend a more relaxing and enjoyable break. I have been to Inchadoney too and I prefer Monart. Not alot of difference but just the odd touch that made it a more enjoyable experience. Eating and drinking while looking out on the water was very enjoyable.

are you saying you prefer inchadoney?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Never found the staff in monart to be stuffy. it's an amazing retreat. the food in the main restaurant is unreal.
    farnham estate has an amazing spa as well though

bluewolf wrote: »
    Never found the staff in monart to be stuffy. it's an amazing retreat. the food in the main restaurant is unreal.
    farnham estate has an amazing spa as well though

we have booked monart for a treat later in the year but i have to say that the staff member i spoke to on the phone was v stuffy - and it was like she didn't wanna talk to me at all.. wanted me off the phone asap..

but i won't let that cast too much aspersion on the place..

loved farnham - its my fav spa so far

for those of you who have been to monart, could you access the spa before check it? check in is not until 3pm grr

the staff member i spoke to said that we could not - although friends of mine have been and did use the spa before check in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

The breakfast in Monart is exceptional

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It takes a while to get there so i've never tried to access it early
    always worth asking on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Monart is very good, rooms are basic enough but the food is great & the general ambience is very relaxing, the spa & thermal suite is very good, in the past we've booked two nights b&b & one evening meal, there is a decent Italian in Enniscorthy, Via Veneto, if you want to dine elsewhere on the other night but book ahead it's popular.
    Always found the staff pleasant & professional, the first hour in the thermal suite 8am-9am used to be clothing optional, not sure if that's still the case, it's been a few years since we were there.

Never visited Inchydoney but have heard good things but the fact that Monart is adults only is enough for me to choose Monart over Inch for a quality break, are they both similar pricewise?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Little Miss Fun

Found all the staff in Monart very friendly and down to earth. Grounds are lovely and as a previous poster stated... rooms are basic but very comfortable. As its adults only is a big plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Not mad about Monart. It’s way too busy. The relaxation areas might as well be bus terminals. Also, they are annoying about not providing WiFi or phone coverage. I have kids, I want to say goodnight to them, not allowed in Monart.

Treatments are good though.

Powerscourt I preferred. Gorgeous walks in the gardens next door, lovely pool area. And Maryborough in Cork. Also, the G hotel in Galway was nice (this is 12 years ago though, so the decor may have aged!). All of those are ESPA.

I’ve never been to the Europe in Kerry, but people rave about that one too.

Wait, one more. The Cliff House. Friends got married there, it was gorgeous. Fab spa and a Michelin star restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Lyrath in kilkenny is also worth a look. Thermal suite is lovely

• Advertisement

id like to hear more about Seafield in Gorey - anyone else been?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Love Monart, and have never had the ‘stuffy’ experience others here seem to have had. When I was there last there was great phone reception etc in the room, it was just the ‘offline’ areas (the library, spa, restaurant) where guests were asked not to bring devices, which I think is wonderful - it provides the perfect place to really unwind, and I love that it’s targeted at this market instead of other places which attract corporates, families, tour groups etc. I haven’t been to Inchadoney, but have heard wonderful things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

sporina wrote: »
    id like to hear more about Seafield in Gorey - anyone else been?

I thought Seafield was lovely. The pool and hot tub are fab, definitely the best I have been to. The food in the restaurant was delicious and I found the staff to be great. Really enjoyed the spa and my treatment too.

I thought Seafield was lovely. The pool and hot tub are fab, definitely the best I have been to. The food in the restaurant was delicious and I found the staff to be great. Really enjoyed the spa and my treatment too.

have you been to monart and inchadoney? and if so how did it compare to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

sporina wrote: »
    have you been to monart and inchadoney? and if so how did it compare to them?

Not yet, but this thread has inspired me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Haven't been to Monart yet but I think Inchydoney is totally over rated. It's nice but not great imo. I loved Powers court and the Maryborough, both already mentioned here. The spa in the Marker is the best thing about the hotel but Dublin 2 isn't quite so relaxing!

The spa in the Woodlands in Adare is really good but I wouldn't put the hotel in the same category as the others.

Inchadoney suffers a bit from being a thalasso spa... they use sea water. Seawater can be corrosive, and leaves a salty residue so it makes their facilities very worn looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Seafield is amazing..in the middle of nowhere,walk to he beach,food very nice and the spa is unreal, we did the couple's package private jacuzzi,glass of bubbly massage and it was just heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Seafield isn't a patch on the spa in Farnham.

Pool in Farnham is lovely. Saunas/steam rooms are nicer and the major plus for us was the availability of lounger beds. Loads in Farnham but in Seafield there was literally 6 mosaic tiled loungers - split 3 & 3.

I much prefer the outdoor infinity pool to the hottub so another big plus for Farnham.

Food in Seafield was far better them an Farnham. Farnham really let's itself down with its food. I'll still go back though!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Farnham is OK but not a patch on Galgorm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

OP probably isn't still reading the thread ...Dec 2009.

SirChenjin wrote: »

But I am :P
    continue please, this is important stuff :D

SirChenjin wrote: »

yes I restarted the thread as I am going to Monart soon,..

was chatting to someone yesterday who has been there and she referred to it as "The Monart" lol.. thought that was funny,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Ive been to a lot of spas:
    Monart
    The Europe
    Powerscourt
    Revas Woodlands
    Radisson Blue

....many more.

Nothing (at least) has come up to the same level as the Europe in Killarney.

The place itself, could not find a fault (ok, Ive been there 3/4 times now). Treatment is fab, the room after treatment is just beyond amazing. A big panoramic view of the lake. Lying in a pod, with a head set on (they are built into the chairs) listening to relaxing music. You could go in at 10am, and stay until 5 and use the facilities.

The changing rooms are also the best Ive ever used.

I went to Monard, and was excited due to the hype, but was very under whelmed. And was too busy. The only thing I liked really was the darkened room (the circle one), but most people were snoring, which I did not appreciate. I said it to one of the staff ("I didnt come here to listen to people snore" - sorry if that ticks anyone off, but I didnt), and they sorted it out.

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Ive been to a lot of spas:
    Monart
    The Europe
    Powerscourt
    Revas Woodlands
    Radisson Blue

....many more.

Nothing (at least) has come up to the same level as the Europe in Killarney.

The place itself, could not find a fault (ok, Ive been there 3/4 times now). Treatment is fab, the room after treatment is just beyond amazing. A big panoramic view of the lake. Lying in a pod, with a head set on (they are built into the chairs) listening to relaxing music. You could go in at 10am, and stay until 5 and use the facilities.

The changing rooms are also the best Ive ever used.

I went to Monard, and was excited due to the hype, but was very under whelmed. And was too busy. The only thing I liked really was the darkened room (the circle one), but most people were snoring, which I did not appreciate. I said it to one of the staff ("I didnt come here to listen to people snore" - sorry if that ticks anyone off, but I didnt), and they sorted it out.

we shall see

maybe i can go to The Europe for my big bday in fall lol

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Not a fan of monart i have to say. Very busy so takes away from relaxation element.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Not a fan of monart i have to say. Very busy so takes away from relaxation element.

Ah no! We've booked Monart for our honeymoon and I'm so excited as I always wanted to stay here. Hopefully it won't be too busy as we are going at the start of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Ah no! We've booked Monart for our honeymoon and I'm so excited as I always wanted to stay here. Hopefully it won't be too busy as we are going at the start of the week.
    I have been to Monart once before, and heading again Paddys weekend (Sunday to Tuesday).

it is a lovely place very relaxing, it definitely can be busy at weekends (if your midweek it should be grand), I would recommend booking any treatments and meals, we found the bar restaurant as good as the main one food wise, and the breakfast is fantastic.

Oh and bring a kindle/books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Anyone have a good recommendation for a spa with triple rooms? Myself and my 2 sisters like to go away for a night or 2 once a year to a spa but I always find it difficult to find ones with triple rooms. (Been to the Monart already which was nice, nothing spectacular though. I will agree that the breakfast is amazing.)

• Advertisement

The cliff house hotel has triple rooms. One double and a single in there. They also have cottages on site I think. Depends on your budget.

Advertisement