Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs that you're getting old

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

obi604 wrote: »
    Also feel old cause 25 years ago today - Faithless released ‘Insomnia’

That’s f*cked up and makes me feel very old

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Goodigal

When you emit a groan when you pick something up off the floor. It's inevitable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

When the pubs reopen but you decide to stay in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

When my 4 kids ðŸ˜â€are looking down at me aged 16-25 just to look at me,time flies actually time goes by so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

When one of the kids phone and say everything is great mam and you get off the phone and your husband says how much? And you say no they are great and then you start thinking something is very very wrong because they didn't ask that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

You read in a book something about the year 2020 and think of it as some time way into the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That 'old people' on the TV when you were growing up, don't actually seem that old in the reruns...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Suckit wrote: »
    That 'old people' on the TV when you were growing up, don't actually seem that old in the reruns...

It's worrying when you start to see shades of yourself in Angela Landsbury in the re runs :pac:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I remember being dragged around furniture shops, garden centres and hardware shops as a child and being bored out of my mind. Now I go to these places by choice and enjoy it on occasion.

My Dad would be glued to the budget every year and work out on the back of an envelope what the tax changes meant for him. I'm glued to it these days...except I use an online tax calculator.

I bought a nose and ear hair trimmer this year :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Took 2 40 kg bags of coal to the bunker tonight am medicating with Jim Beam since back is *****d

Should add to the above 5 years ago I was deadlifting 250kg for fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

When your on the toilet and need to wipe 6 or 7 times because your hole has more hair than your head

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

You have a bad hip and tell people it’s worse when it rains!

Ten years ago I’d have said it was a sports injury. Nah am just old!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When because of Brexit you have stockpilled more beer than your local off-licence has for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

dinorebel wrote: »
    Took 2 40 kg bags of coal to the bunker tonight am medicating with Jim Beam since back is *****d

Should add to the above 5 years ago I was deadlifting 250kg for fun

Can’t help thinking that’s a young man’s injury. An old (wise) man would have figured a way to transport 80kg of coal without lifting in in two bags. Wheelbarrow, knife, shovel for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Can’t help thinking that’s a young man’s injury. An old (wise) man would have figured a way to transport 80kg of coal without lifting in in two bags. Wheelbarrow, knife, shovel for example.
    My ego may of got in the way of doing it sensibly:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Socks, when people start wearing them pulled up high

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

When you instantly turn off 2fm in the car saying it ‘just gives me a headache’
    It dawned on me that I’ve slipped right out of their demographic age group

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

First time i started to feel old was when i noticed men were checking my daughter out and not me. That daughter now has the odd grey hair so i feel ancient.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

As I'm lying here in bed on a Sunday morning and not feeling the urge to have a lie in. 7 hours sleep and thinking of the little jobs I have to do around the house really makes me feel old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

gogo wrote: »
    2FM is dreadful in fairness. Doireann Garrihy and Eoghan McDermott are two of the most annoying people in the world. Or maybe I'm just a contrary old man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

putting your hands on you knees to get off the sofa or the bed

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

silverharp wrote: »
    putting your hands on you knees to get off the sofa or the bed

When I noticed I was using my hands for leverage I made a concerted effort to stop doing that. Can get up and down without them again now. Occasionally takes a while to bend my knees if I've had them stretched out for a while though. Creaky, stiff joints. Jaysus, when did that happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what ever about turning it off. your old if you turn it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

When the only consistent Xmas tradition I have now is complaining about tubs of Roses & Quality street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

When you're delighted because you're back home from Dunnes at 9am on a Sunday morn and have a good clear run at the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

When the only consistent Xmas tradition I have now is complaining about tubs of Roses & Quality street.

They’re smaller now and I’ll fight any man who disagree!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

To be fair that’s genuine observation. Cadbury’s is just a brand now. It was taken over by Kraft / Mondelez and it’s never been the same since. Roses used to be nice. They’re awful now and they look cheap due to those flow pack wrappers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Happy to have more quiet time. For example want to sit in the winter evenings and watch a good series/movie without any chat with the family.

Son talks incessantly during these times and feel bad telling him to just watch as I am missing loads of the viewing.

In the past would have viewed social interaction as the priority and would have been the one rabbiting on. Maybe a descent beginning into being a grumpy old man :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sardonicat wrote: »
    When I noticed I was using my hands for leverage I made a concerted effort to stop doing that. Can get up and down without them again now. Occasionally takes a while to bend my knees if I've had them stretched out for a while though. Creaky, stiff joints. Jaysus, when did that happen!

you certainly need a "no surrender" policy

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

AutoTuning wrote: »
    To be fair that’s genuine observation. Cadbury’s is just a brand now. It was taken over by Kraft / Mondelez and it’s never been the same since. Roses used to be nice. They’re awful now and they look cheap due to those flow pack wrappers. Cream Eggs no longer taste like cream eggs - just sugar. Dairymilk doesn’t taste anything like it used to.

Probably good for the waistline, but I no longer eat as much chocolate.

Totally agree, cadbury's is sickly sweet muck now. I've literally gone over to the darkside and will eat generally darker good quality chocolate.

This one is a milk chocolate but no sickly sweet taste.

snapshotimagehandler_1509359943.jpeg?h=540&w=540

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Gervais08 wrote: »
    They’re smaller now and I’ll fight any man who disagree!!!!

Malcolm Tucker would agree...

https://youtu.be/Byk6KNC9nvc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There is no demographic for 2fm, the people it's aimed at don't listen to radio

When I was talking to a colleague and told him I moved to Cork in 98. He said "Just after me". I said when did you move here? And he said "I was born here in 97"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You still post to boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Suckit wrote: »

I was shocked to recently learn that actor Richard Wilson was only 6 years older than I am now when he first played Victor Meldrew. (He was 53 then, although the character was supposed to be 60).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

khalessi wrote: »
    Socks, when people start wearing them pulled up high[/IMG]

Are there people who wear their socks scrunched down? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I was shocked to recently learn that actor Richard Wilson was only 6 years older than I am now when he first played Victor Meldrew. (He was 53 then, although the character was supposed to be 60).

I dont believe it! No, really I don't. That means that Eric Idle song will apply time in a few short years. Noooooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You're also now about the same age as Christopher Lloyd was in the first Back to the Future. Born 1938, filmed 1984/1985.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

when you don't know what you want for Christmas

When I was younger, I was always excited about seeing the Eurovision, The Rose of Tralee, and the Toy Show at Christmas time, but these days I'm not bothered/interested in seeing them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Home Alone is 30 years old. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    used to be a hard rock fan , now i only listen to Lyric FM while driving

Marty in the morning is my breakfast choice on the dial

Marty is great. Sign you are getting taste not getting old. Like a good wine

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

when you don't know what you want for Christmas

When I was younger, I was always excited about seeing the Eurovision, The Rose of Tralee, and the Toy Show at Christmas time, but these days I'm not bothered/interested in seeing them

Again, another sign you are getting taste. They are awful to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A good few months ago (in pre-mask wearing times) I noticed more and more young women in shops and behind counters more or less openly flirting with me.
    Being much nicer and more approachable than they should be.

My initial reaction (being male) was: You still got it ...:D

But then the numbers increased over time from just the odd girl flirting with me to quite a lot of them doing it and something didn't seem quite right.

And then it dawned on me ...not only did I not "still got it" ..I most definitely did not have "it" anymore ...at all ...at least not in their eyes.

I had been promoted to safe old man territory.

For those who don't know where that is ...it's even a few years beyond acceptable sugardaddy age...too old to even consider. Even with money (which I quite obviously do not have in abundance)

I'm am now a mirror with a penis. It's safe for them to smile at me and see if they get a reaction. They can do so in the sure knowledge that nothing will happen...other than I might smile back at them and confirm that yes, they are indeed pretty and attractive.

Makes me feel terribly old.

But hey ...I can still make pretty young women happy :D
    (if only for a second or two)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

When I see a bald head where my hair used to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Don't invite me anywhere that I need to scrub up for. Too much like hard work. Feck that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59,641 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Meeting the occasional wrinkly and grey-haired past-pupil of mine and figuring that I've almost certainly taught some of their own adult children by now. I'm a sort of Gramps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Walking up the stairs earlier and my knees were making a weird subtle crunching sound. They feel okay but it didn't sound good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

peasant wrote: »
    A good few months ago (in pre-mask wearing times) I noticed more and more young women in shops and behind counters more or less openly flirting with me.
    Being much nicer and more approachable than they should be.

My initial reaction (being male) was: You still got it ...:D

But then the numbers increased over time from just the odd girl flirting with me to quite a lot of them doing it and something didn't seem quite right.

And then it dawned on me ...not only did I not "still got it" ..I most definitely did not have "it" anymore ...at all ...at least not in their eyes.

I had been promoted to safe old man territory.

For those who don't know where that is ...it's even a few years beyond acceptable sugardaddy age...too old to even consider. Even with money (which I quite obviously do not have in abundance)

I'm am now a mirror with a penis. It's safe for them to smile at me and see if they get a reaction. They can do so in the sure knowledge that nothing will happen...other than I might smile back at them and confirm that yes, they are indeed pretty and attractive.

Makes me feel terribly old.

But hey ...I can still make pretty young women happy :D
    (if only for a second or two)

Nobody could be as unattractive as you just described yourself.. cheer up mate, you put a tear in my eye :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

He musta had a tough life :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Ear hair needs to be trimmed more often....

• Advertisement
Advertisement