Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

That said he didn't have to call it out thus exacerbating the idea that all charge points are useless, and having an ev is asking for trouble.

Bob is driven by clicks, likes, dislikes, shares & comments. Very understandable - that's his livelihood.
    He has no doubt learned through his analytics, that being controversial, like Clarkson, garners more attention. Attention, good, bad or indifferent = income.
    Disparaging EVs, hell, even mentioning EVs in his youtube video titles, by his own admission, makes them more popular.

But agreed, he is actively discouraging EV adoption & that's not good for anyone :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Now that some of our cars are sitting unused for long periods - well mine is anyway - it would be a good idea to keep an eye on the low voltage battery. This is a weak point in most EVs and can lead to the car not firing up if the battery is too low.

If you have a suitable charger it would be wise to give it a top-up every now and then.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Also, don't leave your car charged at 100% for days on end. Not good for the battery long term.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Charged to 80% last weekend and over the course of the week ran it down to about 27%.

Charged back up to 80% on Thursday night and will do the same again over the next few days.

BMW is charged up to about 700km for emergencies, so don’t mind letting the EV go low.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Now that some of our cars are sitting unused for long periods - well mine is anyway - it would be a good idea to keep an eye on the low voltage battery. This is a weak point in most EVs and can lead to the car not firing up if the battery is too low.

Unless you have a Tesla, then there is nothing to worry about as the car tops up the 12V all the time with the 200A DC to DC converter. You can connect an inverter and power your house with the car switched off. And you'll only get in trouble when the traction battery runs out a week or so later :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

unkel wrote: »
    Unless you have a Tesla, then there is nothing to worry about as the car tops up the 12V all the time with the 200A DC to DC converter. You can connect an inverter and power your house with the car switched off. And you'll only get in trouble when the traction battery runs out a week or so later :D

Can you really do this without voiding your warranty?

It's coming up to that time again... end of electricity supply contract.

I'm currently with Electric Ireland. I joined them because they had decent day/night rates and there was a sign-up bribe of a couple of hundred off the standing charge.

I was just wondering has anyone done the dance with the comparison sites recently and come out with a decent offer? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It's coming up to that time again... end of electricity supply contract.

I'm currently with Electric Ireland. I joined them because they had decent day/night rates and there was a sign-up bribe of a couple of hundred off the standing charge.

I was just wondering has anyone done the dance with the comparison sites recently and come out with a decent offer? :)

It depends on urban vs rural and whether you are just an electricity user or dual fuel.

I’m rural, electricity only and it has been a dance between Energia and airtricity every other year for years on end now.

KCross wrote: »
    It depends on urban vs rural and whether you are just an electricity user or dual fuel.

I’m rural, electricity only and it has been a dance between Energia and airtricity every other year for years on end now.

Same as yourself. Rural and electricity only.

I was with Energia before Electric Ireland and have received the "we want you back" e-mail. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

mp3guy wrote: »
    Can you really do this without voiding your warranty?

I'd say if you lived beside a supercharger and charged up with the free supercharging for free once or twice a week, just to power your house for free all day and all night and charge up your power wall, you might get into trouble if your battery would be goosed after 7 years and you'd be looking for a free replacement battery under warranty. Not that using 10kWh per day for your house (the average Irish consumption) would be detrimental to your battery. It wouldn't be.

But for occasional use in and emergency, or on a camping or hiking trip to power your microwave, portable kettle, small fridge, etc., I'd be confident there shouldn't be any issues

• Advertisement

I’m with EI for Electricity & Gas, and just got a €200 bonus off them for committing to them for the next 12 months. It was credited to my electric account.

I also get 8.5% off both gas and electricity for signing up to direct debit & online billing.

My electric rates are (including the 8.5% discount);

Day: €0.1697 / kWh
    Night: €0.0838 / kWh

That €200 bonus they gave me is worth 2,386 kWh at night rate, or 47 full charges from 0-100% of my Model 3 (which I'd never use, so basically my years motoring (roughly 12,000 km) for free)

I'm on the same schedule as you so. FYI, electric Ireland reduced their rates on the 1st April. Bord gais doing the same on 1st may. I'm with EI at the moment, but my rate is like 19c ex vat on the day rate. 9+cent on night. EI themselves are my best bet apparently though. 18.5c day and something like 8+cent on night. Both ex vat. And that's with €200 cash back (new customers get €250 cashback), on dual fuel.

Tried to get on the phone with them yesterday but too busy. I'll see can I squeeze anything more out of them. They also do a "green" electricity offer. Mildly more expensive, so I might go for that depending what their "green" means.

Same as yourself. Rural and electricity only.

I was with Energia before Electric Ireland and have received the "we want you back" e-mail. :D

For rural and electricity only...
    Energia are currently 15.91/7.63 inc vat
    Airtricity are 16.76/8.30

They also offer cashback offers but you have to go on higher rates to get that. I think the above Energia rate is close to the best rate you'll get.

I'm with EI at the moment, but my rate is like 19c ex vat on the day rate. 9+cent on night.

You are way over paying at 21.6 inc vat for your day rate so that cashback isnt as good as it looks.

KCross wrote: »
    For rural and electricity only...
    Energia are currently 15.91/7.63 inc vat
    Airtricity are 16.76/8.30

They also offer cashback offers but you have to go on higher rates to get that. I think the above Energia rate is close to the best rate you'll get.

You are way over paying at 21.6 inc vat for your day rate so that cashback isnt as good as it looks.

Put all my details on bonkers and it came out as the best deal. About 5000kWh per year now. 60% at night.
    Just double checked there, it's after vat. 18.75c day, 9.26c night, this includes the vat.

Best night rate I can see is Panda power at 8.52 cent or bord gais at 8.39 cent. If they drop their prices in may they could be a better deal. (Edit: 8.39c is the new price from may 1st)

If you have a suitable charger it would be wise to give it a top-up every now and then.

Good call!

Im not charging my own car to 100% anymore (so the topup isnt happening) and the few short journeys isnt enough to give the 12V any topup and after your reminder I checked it and I cant see the little green ball* anymore, which hasnt happened to my car before in 4 years!

I'd say we will be hearing of a few EV folks with dead 12V batteries at the end of this C19 crisis!

* Not sure about other EV's but the Leaf 12V battery has a window on the top that you can look into and you are supposed to be able to see a green ball to indicate it is up to voltage. If you cant see it its time to get it on a charger.

My wife's petrol car is more likely the victim of a dead 12v. It was barely used before the lockdown, and it's gathering dust now.

On a different note, those who had long/medium commutes and are now working from home are getting a glimpse at the running costs of an ev Vs their ice car costs to drive to/from work. Ie. Pretty much no cost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My wife's petrol car is more likely the victim of a dead 12v. It was barely used before the lockdown, and it's gathering dust now.

On a different note, those who had long/medium commutes and are now working from home are getting a glimpse at the running costs of an ev Vs their ice car costs to drive to/from work. Ie. Pretty much no cost

Same here. Parked the wife’s F10 in the garden nearly 3 weeks ago.
    Charged the i3 up in work around the 18th March and it’s on 32% today.

She also drives the i3 locally when we’re both home.

Short trips every day to the shop, locally and dropping bits to elderly relatives etc

I might have to get the F10 moving tomorrow just in case.

What are the criteria required for a Tesla to charge its 12v battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,371 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Or alternatively, the amount of money spent on an electric ornament to sit in the drive as we cant drive!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Or alternatively, the amount of money spent on an electric ornament to sit in the drive as we cant drive!

You've just got to be creative in how you do your shopping!!

We have fish every Friday, and I go do a different shop, close to my mothers house to buy it. It's a 50km round trip, half motorway, half country roads.
    It's a nice little spin once a week to keep the car in order, and technically not outside the restrictions imposed. (If I wanted I could make a slight detour to make it an 82km drive, but haven't done so yet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

technically not outside the restrictions imposed. (If I wanted I could make a slight detour to make it an 82km drive, but haven't done so yet).

Except you know it is outside the restrictions.

markpb wrote: »
    Except you know it is outside the restrictions.

It's not though. The 2km restriction does not apply to going shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It’s against the spirit if not the letter of the restrictions though. The reason to stay close to home is to reduce the distances involved with any potential community spread, keeping things confined to smaller areas. If the shop you’re going to is click and collect and you have zero contact with anyone there, then maybe that’d be fine, but otherwise it’s a bit of a dick move.

People seem to assume it’s all about not spreading the disease on your actual travels. It’s not!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

It's not though. The 2km restriction does not apply to going shopping.

I didn't mention the 2km at all. The reason people can travel further than 2km for shopping, medicine, etc is because they might have to if those facilities are not available close to them. It's not so you can have fun in your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,196 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm definitely having fun driving. Barely a car on the road. I get an extra 10 minutes in bed because the commute to work is so much quicker and there's no stop-start farting around in traffic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I picked up one of these from AMZ last week to keep the ICE battery maintained, well worth the investment as this period of inactivity may continue for another month or so...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07T6GV32V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Saw an ESB e-NV200 yesterday. First non-white one I've seen.

Saw an ESB e-NV200 yesterday. First non-white one I've seen.

An post have them doing they? Center parcs is full of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Dublin City Council have an e-nv200 but that's half white I guess.

Classic Ioniq Garda car is the best EV workhorse I've seen yet.

• Advertisement

This is worth a look if you are a bit of a nerd and want to see how Tesla's vision technology works and how they improve it over time.

There are some nice vids in there.

Advertisement