Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing a water damaged phone

Options
  • 11-11-2019 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I have a p30 lite and while away on holidays I jumped in the pool and it immediately switched off.Was only in the pool 10 seconds. This happened Wednesday. We were in a remote area So i couldn't even get a bag of rice but it never switched back on. I have consulted with a shop who want 50e upfront to do a liquid clean and are not guaranteeing this will fix it. Just wondering if anyone else knows what the chances of it being fixed are within this method. Don't want to waste the 50e if it's likely not to work.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You won't know until you try.

p.s. P30 Lite doesn't have an IP rating for water resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Rice doesn't work. It's a myth. Phone needs to be stripped and cleaned properly with isopropyl alcohol. Everything cleaned separately. I'm a phone repair technician so I've dealt with it many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Even if it's taken apart and cleaned perfectly, there's no way to tell if there's been permanent damage. Water getting inside can cause a short circuit, which can destroy the electrical components.

And yeah, the rice thing is a myth (except by proxy - if it's in rice, you're much less likely to turn it on prematurely than if it's just sitting on a shelf)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Cmoy

Thanks for your response guys. I left it into the shop. Because its been a week since it happened they have said probably a liquid clean might not work at all.I also tried to charge the phone on sunday when I was back in Ireland which has shortened the odds of it working again even further. Thanks again .

Advertisement