Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job creation is the be all and end all now?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    OP.
    You are oblivious to changes that happen, happening and already approved. You claim no investment in transport, did you miss the fact the Luas exists and was expanded?
    Unaware of the Metro Link?
    Not noticed the plans approved for a massive overhaul of road routes into the city centre.

All the graduates coming out of college need jobs too so we need to have jobs for them.

Besides missing everything and being way off the mark you are correct.

The luas is absolutely wedged. It is not comfortable to use.

Metrolink is supposed to be open in 2027...another 8 years away. The route is getting chopped and changed and bits knocked off it already. I highly doubt it'll be ready in 2027.

There's plenty of jobs for graduates. There's a reason salaries are soaring, because there's not enough people for the jobs.

In any case, I can't get too much joy about new jobs for graduates when they have to move across the country and house share and use ****ty public transport for a job....
    The claim was NOTHING was done for public transport. Obviously that is untrue.

I just simply disagree about needing jobs for an increasing population where more graduates come out each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I've met plenty of people that would love to stay in the South-East but there simply aren't any jobs. There's low-skilled labour, there are trades but if you're a graduate who wants to stay local you'll spend a long time looking for something.

It's a catch 22, the ones who have a good education but want to stay local struggle to find work and have to move. It drains the area of well-educated people and clogs the ways into cities.
    And it's harder for people to move out of expensive cities into towns because if they're not lucky and find a job local they'll end up commuting back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

neris wrote: »
    Alot of the big jobs are in multi nationals for highly skilled/qualified people and been filled by foreign workers coming in to the country and mainly dublin at that. Its jobs out side Dublin and perhaps less skilled that are needed

Yep, ive been looking for work since sept...and next to no job offers, so this economic upturn is a myth as far as im concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

LirW wrote: »
    I've met plenty of people that would love to stay in the South-East but there simply aren't any jobs. There's low-skilled labour, there are trades but if you're a graduate who wants to stay local you'll spend a long time looking for something.

It's a catch 22, the ones who have a good education but want to stay local struggle to find work and have to move. It drains the area of well-educated people and clogs the ways into cities.
    And it's harder for people to move out of expensive cities into towns because if they're not lucky and find a job local they'll end up commuting back again.

I understand the sentiment but this issue of not enough good jobs in rural Ireland is the same all around the world.

Good jobs, like it or not, will always be in the bigger cities.

The notion of somehow evening out rural Ireland with Dublin or even Cork is total waste of time.

For the vast majority of graduate jobs young people will always have to move to the cities.

Not unique to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The notion of somehow evening out rural Ireland with Dublin or even Cork is total waste of time.

The Dubs might thank you for it but Limerick, Galway and Waterford etc would raise hell.

So on we go.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Overall employment rates aren't very high in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Half these job announcements are BS. I worked for a company who made an announcement that they were taking on two hundred new employees, and at the same time they made around 30 people redundant. There were no new jobs, it was a PR exercise.

Or it's call centre work. An ex-employer of mine created one hundred hi-tech jobs in Ireland when it moved it's call centre from the US to Ireland. Saved a fortune on salaries and bonuses in the process.
    Geuze wrote: »
    Overall employment rates aren't very high in Ireland.

Am I reading this correctly? Pretty sure the country is bordering on full employment at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Once Waterford gets a university there will be loads of graduate jobs in the South East.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Automation is going to continue to wipe out jobs, people will find new jobs to do and with it consumption will rise. At some point we'll have to start managing based on resources, not consumption. Or we could fight over the resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The government needs more tax revenue, the national debt is very large,
    they might think if some companys leave with brexit we need to be ready,
    we are in a free market ,if companys want to come here ,
    and build office,s etc who is going to say stop.
    We have a problem now, a housing crisis, theres not enough rental units
    for the people that need accomodation.
    We need 30k plus houses to be built every years just to provide house,s for the population we have now .
    Maybe the traffic jams and high rents will discourage employers from coming here .
    Automation will replace some jobs,
    things like self driving cars and trucks are maybe 10 years away.
    Most people work in retail, or offices , theres not many factorys in ireland

making cars or other physical objects where they can install robots
    to take over from people doing work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I understand the sentiment but this issue of not enough good jobs in rural Ireland is the same all around the world.

Good jobs, like it or not, will always be in the bigger cities.

For the vast majority of graduate jobs young people will always have to move to the cities.

Not unique to Ireland.

That's all well and good but a point is reached where graduates have to go to cities yet they can't actually afford to live there.
    I'm not saying Intel should be sent to South Kilkenny but the lack of opportunity drains smaller towns of much needed innovation that could start local businesses and employ people.

I appreciate there will always be areas that will be poor in regards of employment because they lack infrastructure or it's simply an area with a history of difficulties.

I also appreciate that young people tend to have the desire of living in an urban area but there is a big more mature workforce out there that has a strong desire to settle in a stable environment that allows a great work life balance and in another thread it showed there is a good number of people that would prefer to bring up their children outside of Dublin, Cork or Galway.

I'm not saying it's anyone's fault that there's little opportunity in some parts of the country, it's a mixture of the urban attraction, brain drain and the insane policies that hinder small businesses to take off in the first place (astronomical insurance for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

riclad wrote: »
    Maybe the traffic jams and high rents will discourage employers from coming here

Companies are setting up in San Fran and Silicone Valley where the rents are crazy and traffic is worse. They go where the knowledge is.

I'm not saying it's anyone's fault that there's little opportunity in some parts of the country, it's a mixture of the urban attraction, brain drain and the insane policies that hinder small businesses to take off in the first place (astronomical insurance for example).

It's actually the ribbon development that's killing our rural towns and villages not urban attraction. How many people are building their McMansion within walking distance of the local village/town compared to on a plot 2km from the next house? If people lived in towns/villages then facilities can be provided like reliable public transport and internet, instead we have to spend €3bn+ to run fibre to every boreen in the country and now we can't provide other infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mazwell

Del2005 wrote: »
    People don't want to live in our rural towns so why should businesses set up there? If people did actually live in rural towns then businesses would set up in them. Instead they set up where there are large amounts of people, big cities of which we barely have 1, with good connections.

Yes we do. There just aren't any jobs in them. Nearly every man I know in my area works away and comes home at weekends (my husband works in galway, my best friends husband works in Dublin, two of my other friends have husbands working in England). I'm from donegal. But were not stupid enough to think there'll ever be investment here in transport etc. And there'll never be incentives for companies to set up here. Its Dublin,cork,galway or nothing. So we suck it up cus we have no choice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Berserker wrote: »
    Am I reading this correctly? Pretty sure the country is bordering on full employment at the moment.

Full-employment means that unemployment has fallen to its natural rate.

Approx 5%.

But our employment rate is not very high.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Employment_statistics

It's close to the EU average.

Map_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mazwell wrote: »
    Yes we do. There just aren't any jobs in them. Nearly every man I know in my area works away and comes home at weekends (my husband works in galway, my best friends husband works in Dublin, two of my other friends have husbands working in England). I'm from donegal. But were not stupid enough to think there'll ever be investment here in transport etc. And there'll never be incentives for companies to set up here. Its Dublin,cork,galway or nothing. So we suck it up cus we have no choice

Do all these people live in a town or village?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Been thinking about this more and I am doubling down on my opinion. Why do we need more jobs.

There has to be a point where the number of jobs in a country is sufficient for the population.

The more high paying jobs created, the more ****ty paid jobs are created furthering the wealth divide.

Thinking about green issues, emissions etc. Why would we be in support of increasing the population through foreign workers and more jobs if we care so much about the environment? They say we'll have 1m more people in 20 years time. Our fertility rate is below 2 meaning population will decrease without immigration.

But if our population grows by 1m in the next 20 years, that means we need to cut our emissions by 20% just to stay at todays (seemingly terrible) level.

Advertisement