Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I'm a fifth generation farmer I know a lot about the land and the weather

If true then you should be very familiar with the smell of the sh.te you are coming out with.

Sure, if there’s no problem can we all consume as much crap as possible and dump it on your land. You don’t seem to want it to be there for the next 5 generations anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Jesus man, why didn't you tell me you were so qualified at the start of the thread and I wouldn't have made fun of you.

Sorry just assumed you knew

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

ok.
    So global warming will cause the ice in Greenland and points north to melt. This will release a bit of freshwater in to the north Atlantic.
    This will then head south into the Atlantic driving the Gulf Stream south. Which will cause our climate to be similar to other area on the plant on the latitude as areas that do not have the benefit of the warming effects of the gulf stream.
    Have a look at those places !
    There are multiple possible outcomes from this. not to many are good.
    But the Gulf stream shifting is pretty much guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

As children it was the Cold War four minute warning etc

If it wasn't for fear people might start living

acid rain

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Because it's easy to get idiots into mass panic! Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

So the bible makes no mention of cutting carbon emissions then?

Says it won't help --were still all screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

OK, so what would differ?

Am - How do you mean?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

9161_0d70_500.jpeg

In a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I won't argue about the merits of whether or not climate change is real, is preventable or otherwise by consumption and peoples behaviour, or much else on the validity of the theory. I know feck all about the subject, but I guarantee you one thing, the extreme majority of people who hold steadfast beliefs on the matter also don't really know! We see children rolled out now as experts on the subject, children!

Personally when I consider this sort of conundrum I think to myself, what's the upside v downside? Even if climate change is pure BS in the end would lower emissions make for cleaner air and make most places that bit better to live in? Probably. However, are there downsides to the environment in these endeavours e.g. wind turbines? Also yes. I'm open minded about doing the right thing to limit the damage I personally do to the environment, but I'm very sceptical about the motivation and proposed theories put forward by global think tanks and governments over the likes of carbon taxes and the topic in general. It smacks of fleecing the public and promoting certain political agendas.

You might notice that it's frequently lefty types who are pushing the climate change narrative at a rate of maximum urgency now. There are now agreements in place (in the UN accord I believe) that specify that climate change is a legitimate reason for refugee status from places like Africa. The loose theory on the result of this, in places like the US for example:

1. Promote climate change as a valid theory
    2. Request refugee status for Africans
    3. Bring refugees into your country
    4. Permit refugees to have significant welfare programs
    5. Those minority groups will vote for your party
    6. Keep the minorities on welfare
    7. Repeat of step 5
    8. Demographics build up so that they now need you and your party is virtually assured of continued power due to the numbers game.
    9. Big government wins

Parties where big government is preferred love climate change rallies, it's no coincidence. There's also the concept of reducing your intake of meat. Reduction of meat consumption would massively impact on rural societies and bring people into more urban environments, again where more liberal agendas flourish and people are more easily controlled by these issues.

The fact like morons like Octavio-Cortes in the states telling us we have 12 years to save the world does not convince me. It's just the latest source of rage after gay marriage and abortion became the norm.

Nobody, the earth will regulate itself with the helping hand ofGod

This is why we can’t have nice things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think people are starting to experience strange weather and when its something you can see or feel its very real to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

9161_0d70_500.jpeg

In a nutshell.

Phew, yellow. We're all going to be okay lads. False alarm.

ligerdub wrote: »
    You might notice that it's frequently lefty types who are pushing the climate change narrative at a rate of maximum urgency now. There are now agreements in place (in the UN accord I believe) that specify that climate change is a legitimate reason for refugee status from places like Africa.
    Western countries are the biggest polluters, so it makes perfect sense to flood the West with poor African migrants so they can pollute as much as we do.

Hang on... that doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

How many people here from personal experience think they've experienced climate change? I for one don't remember hurricane in cork or blizzards

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Climate change will regulate itself when we've burnt all the oil and gas ....the bigger issue is the growth of population on the planet and how that's going to be reined in ....

smurgen wrote: »
    How many people here from personal experience think they've experienced climate change? I for one don't remember hurricane in cork or blizzards

There was that time Mr. Burns blocked out the Sun. I'd say most people in the 30+ age bracket would remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Because 20-30 years ago doubting climate change was still a valid and legitimate scientific opinion to have. However it's no longer tenable. While you could say before "maybe it won't happen at all", we now know it will happen, and the extent is on the upper end of what was first predicted. It was only around the year 2000 that it all fell apart for the climate change doubters and they either converted or a small fraction became "denialists".

look lads if these people didnt have this theyd have something else

let them off, unless they block a road in front of you. a thump or two at that stage is in order alright.

if it becomes an issue that governments see the merit in dealing with it wont be because krusties or teenagers spotted it before anybody else, otherwise fluoride, microwaves, showering and having to clean your room would already be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The world will end in 12 yrs, prepare yourselves.

As Twain said, it's easiier to fool a person than it is to convince them that they've been fooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,857 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

People are inherently selfish. We can't look past ourselves and our greed. Can't be helped, it's just the way of things. The world will go with or without humans either way.

What evidence is there that selfishness is inherent?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,857 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fear and control only works on the people when you offer them the hope of redemption
    Hence why I call it the climate change cult

I actually think climate change denialism is much more cultist.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

smurgen wrote: »

How many people here think climate change means we'd have hurricanes in Cork or blizzards by now?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ligerdub wrote: »

Parties where big government is preferred love climate change rallies, it's no coincidence. There's also the concept of reducing your intake of meat. Reduction of meat consumption would massively impact on rural societies and bring people into more urban environments, again where more liberal agendas flourish and people are more easily controlled by these issues.

The fact like morons like Octavio-Cortes in the states telling us we have 12 years to save the world does not convince me. It's just the latest source of rage after gay marriage and abortion became the norm.

Not going to go in-depth into your post, but just on the bolded issue, particularly in relation to meat consumption.

What exactly happens to the animals if the powers that be suddenly decide eating meat is a no no? Obviously not going to happen, but hypothetically.

We're told that cows in particular produce large amounts of methane which is harmful to the O-zone layer, which in turn is contributing to the melting of the ice-caps.

So, if we suddenly stop the current cycle of 'breed, fatten, slaughter, repeat (obviously not as simplistic)' that means there will be more cows roaming around the place cos nature and stuff.

If the methane is a contributor then surely there would have to be large culls in herds for no reason other than environment saving... which would piss off the vegans.

But if they aren't reduced then the impact would get worse...

So... is veganism contributing to global warming? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Climate change will regulate itself when we've burnt all the oil and gas ....the bigger issue is the growth of population on the planet and how that's going to be reined in ....

The earth will survive ok.

A lot of humans might not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I've watched 40 years of this climate change nonsense.
    Academics justifying their existence end governments using it as a way to introduce new taxes.
    Carbon taxes will fix the world,, ye right
    Man hasn't been around long enough and records don't go back far enough, who cause the last ice age??
    Nobody, the earth will regulate itself with the helping hand ofGod

You had me till the last line

• Subscribers Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If people think putting millions of years worth of carbon into our atmosphere over the course of a few hundred years isn't effecting our planet then you really are thick.

Its not that there's sudden hysteria.... Its that we have already gone beyond the breaking point, and we should be in fire fighting mode now to try to prevent worsening future catastrophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Its not hysteria.
    "We have 12 years to limit climate change catastrophe"
    UN

"I don't want your hope. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I do. Every day."
    Greta Thunberg

“A gradual rise in average sea level is threatening to completely cover this Indian Ocean nation of 1196 small islands within the next 30 years,”
    AFP, September 1988.

Even NASA scientist feels it is a bit much
    gavin-10-years-720x206.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

Do we have so little faith in our children and theirs that if there is a problem that they can't fix it

That's the real sadness not the rising water

IF the science is correct and the evidence for that is compelling then your post sums up the folly of continuing to stick our fingers in our ears and ignoring the problem.

It’s like we’re on a train that’s hurtling towards the buffers at full speed. If the driver hasn’t hit the brakes and slowed down by a certain distance from those buffers, there is no remedy or magic solution that anybody can come up with to avoid disaster.

We need to apply the brakes to the causes of global warming now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

biko wrote: »
    "We have 12 years to limit climate change catastrophe"
    UN

"I don't want your hope. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I do. Every day."
    Greta Thunberg

“A gradual rise in average sea level is threatening to completely cover this Indian Ocean nation of 1196 small islands within the next 30 years,”
    AFP, September 1988.

Even NASA scientist feels it is a bit much
    gavin-10-years-720x206.png

Which definition are you applying to hysteria? Fear is not an emotion so I doubt it’s the first.

hysteria
    /hɪˈstɪərɪə/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement.
    "the anti-Semitic hysteria of the 1890s"
    synonyms: frenzy, wildness, feverishness, irrationality; More
    an old-fashioned term for a psychological disorder characterized by conversion of psychological stress into physical symptoms (somatization) or a change in self-awareness (such as a fugue state or selective amnesia).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is the first, as in frenzy and irrationality
    Whipping up fear is the common way to get sane people to insanely do what you want them to do, and fast.

Advertisement