Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Necro wrote: »
    Not going to go in-depth into your post, but just on the bolded issue, particularly in relation to meat consumption.

What exactly happens to the animals if the powers that be suddenly decide eating meat is a no no? Obviously not going to happen, but hypothetically.

We're told that cows in particular produce large amounts of methane which is harmful to the O-zone layer, which in turn is contributing to the melting of the ice-caps.

So, if we suddenly stop the current cycle of 'breed, fatten, slaughter, repeat (obviously not as simplistic)' that means there will be more cows roaming around the place cos nature and stuff.

If the methane is a contributor then surely there would have to be large culls in herds for no reason other than environment saving... which would piss off the vegans.

But if they aren't reduced then the impact would get worse...

So... is veganism contributing to global warming? :eek:

You're joking here, right?

If we stop proactively breeding cows, there would be fewer cows...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

biko wrote: »
    It is the first, as in frenzy and irrationality
    Whipping up fear is the common way to get sane people to insanely do what you want them to do, and fast.

The demise of the human race doesn’t I still any excitement in me. It’s only vegan extremisists that seem to want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

bfa1509 wrote: »
    put on a pedestal.

A Pedal stool

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Nobody, the earth will regulate itself with the helping hand ofGod

Who knew Danny Healy Rae was a boardsie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I'm a fifth generation farmer I know a lot about the land and the weather

So how do you explain cattle dying in the fields at the start of last year because of the extended winter to flip over to one of the warmest summer we ever had?

That was after a period of more storms over a winter I can ever remember and the worst snow storm seen in Ireland in 30 years or so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

It's a massive challenge to change mindsets.

Not many people want to give up their car.... or foreign travel.... or mobile phone... or cheap clothing.... or meat consumption.... or daily mod cons.

The middle class in China and India is growing. They want a piece of the action. The holidays, the cars, the rich food.

Greta Thunberg means well, but it would take three days to reach Malaga by boat and rail for a holiday. I'd be arriving and immediately turning around for the journey home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The climate change protests we are seeing now are driven by another arm of the momentum group. It's a political protest rather than an environmental one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,097 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The climate change protests we are seeing now are driven by another arm of the momentum group. It's a political protest rather than an environmental one.

I'm assuming the hundreds of thousands of protesters at these events are all walking to them?

Seriously how do people come up with this c**p?

The climate change protest have been going on for years, just the press would never discuss it

Are people that blind to what goes on in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm assuming the hundreds of thousands of protesters at these events are all walking to them?
    It's like when Emma Thompson flew 5400 miles to London from Los Angeles to join climate change protests in Oxford Circus

Or when Leonardo DiCaprio flies 8000 miles from Cannes to New York in private jet to accept green award

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    It's like when Emma Thompson flew 5400 miles to London from Los Angeles to join climate change protests in Oxford Circus

Yeah, she thought her appearance was so important to pollute the atmosphere to attend.

Like the time Al Gore flew all around the world to promote An Inconvenient Truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

[quote="Pkiernan;110093787"eliminate business and first class travel.[/quote]

Its the same plane.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Its the same plane.

Perhaps they are hinting that these use up more space, and as a result get less people on each plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭quokula

I really hope this thread title just acts as a magnet to the crazies, because if the level of denialism and idiotic arguments against doing anything is as strong in the general population as it is here, we really are doomed.

quokula wrote: »
    I really hope this thread title just acts as a magnet to the crazies, because if the level of denialism and idiotic arguments against doing anything is as strong in the general population as it is here, we really are doomed.

Can I ask what changes you have made to help fight climate change?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

I've watched 40 years of this climate change nonsense.
    Academics justifying their existence end governments using it as a way to introduce new taxes.
    Carbon taxes will fix the world,, ye right
    Man hasn't been around long enough and records don't go back far enough, who cause the last ice age??
    Nobody, the earth will regulate itself with the helping hand ofGod

Doesn't believe in science, believes invisible man in the sky will fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Think it is interesting that some of the more qualified Boardsies in a position to discuss the environment aren't stepping in to this thread.

To the poster who thinks climate change is nonsense and equates the work of some Phd's he knows as the same as toilet paper, just because you don't understand something, doesn't invalidate it. Same goes for info on climate change.

I'm a fifth generation farmer I know a lot about the land and the weather

Just to follow up on this post. You must be a fairly poor farmer if you haven't seen anything.

I grew up on a farm, all that was talked about was the weather. In the 80's it was first mentioned about CO2. So lets take a few changes in Ireland since then

Frost: back in 80's you would have hard frost in October, before November anyway. That would be the proper frost when the white would be white. That is gone. The first frost I seen of any sort was late Feb this year. Some people might say who cares. Well frost kills all little buggies in the air so it stops the likes of flus etc. That is gone. So you have all these colds etc hanging around. Huge pressure on HSE

Winter was a few months of really bad cold weather and then it would be over. Yes it would still rain during summer but we are on an island beside an ocean. Now we have a winter which can run from September to May. Not really cold but just constant bad weather. Why again you might ask is issue. Well nothing can grow. We are in May now and the trees in my area are only starting to come out in green.

Storms, regular storms. We have 5-6 per winter now. Before if you had a big storm every 5 - 6 years it was a big deal. Now people just hope they get a day off work if big enough....

That is just a few things off the top of my head. All because of climate change. This is having a huge affect on everything. Especially on farming.

As I said already, when have you seen farmers letting livestock die in fields because they had no way to feed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

So are we getting more iodine tablets.?
    I haven't used my last batch yet....!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

9161_0d70_500.jpeg

In a nutshell.

That chart draw by a child with ao marker has completely changed my mindpl
    L

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just to follow up on this post. You must be a fairly poor farmer if you haven't seen anything.

I grew up on a farm, all that was talked about was the weather. In the 80's it was first mentioned about CO2. So lets take a few changes in Ireland since then

Frost: back in 80's you would have hard frost in October, before November anyway. That would be the proper frost when the white would be white. That is gone. The first frost I seen of any sort was late Feb this year. Some people might say who cares. Well frost kills all little buggies in the air so it stops the likes of flus etc. That is gone. So you have all these colds etc hanging around. Huge pressure on HSE

Winter was a few months of really bad cold weather and then it would be over. Yes it would still rain during summer but we are on an island beside an ocean. Now we have a winter which can run from September to May. Not really cold but just constant bad weather. Why again you might ask is issue. Well nothing can grow. We are in May now and the trees in my area are only starting to come out in green.

Storms, regular storms. We have 5-6 per winter now. Before if you had a big storm every 5 - 6 years it was a big deal. Now people just hope they get a day off work if big enough....

That is just a few things off the top of my head. All because of climate change. This is having a huge affect on everything. Especially on farming.

As I said already, when have you seen farmers letting livestock die in fields because they had no way to feed them?

Just normal weather cycles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The last 100 years have been a golden age for human civilization in terms of technological advancements. In general terms every generation was better off than the previous one.
    That was all built on the availability of relatively cheap energy in the form of fossil fuels.
    That is coming to an end. The climate debate is over, how we proceed is the questions facing humanity.
    How do we keep our lifestyle in a world without limitless fossil fuels.
    Sometimes I think it just isn't possible and technology will regress, but I also think the technology to move forward will come when there is the political, economic and social imperative to do so. I think that is the stage we are getting to.
    Widespread electricity production without fossil fuels is key. Wind, hydro, solar whatever will have to improve and increase dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I am not denying that global temperatures are increasing, or that ice caps aren't melting, or sea levels not rising etc. (although I am skeptical of how significant the role humans played in all of this). But why all the deranged hysteria all of a sudden? Is there new scientific evidence published?

Just 15-20 years ago the only headline grabbing climate change stories were from Al Gore's spurious catastrophic predictions for the future (many of which failed to occur of course). But now there is no escaping it. We are being bombarded with climate crisises left, right and centre all of a sudden, but they don't seem to have any substantial basis whatsoever. Yet the global hysteria is mind boggling, from huge protests, to bold political promises, to no-meat mondays to Birthstrikers (yes, there are women who refuse to have children because there won't be an earth here for them to grow up on... https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/mar/12/birthstrikers-meet-the-women-who-refuse-to-have-children-until-climate-change-ends)

If someone says that the earth is flat or the moonlandings were faked, or 911 was an inside job, we point and laugh at them, say they need to put on their tin-foil hat and then move their thread to the conspiracy forum. Yet, a climate change activist can spew the most baseless claims and they get applauded and put on a pedestal.

Was I in a coma when all this damning evidence came to light? The world feels the same to me as it did back in the 90s.

Personally I am so sick of the complete apathy most people (including most importantly, world governments and politicians) show towards our dying planet, and am so happy to see people finally taking a stand, especially the youngest peple, who will inherit this world. How can you be sceptical at all about human impact? Have you not seen the photos of the worlds beaches covered in plastic? How can you be sceptical about the fact we cut down 7 billion trees annually? Or that we consume 56 billion land animals each year? These arent feelings but facts

Something needs to change, and as for the news, recent reports have indicated that a 'run away' climate change impact is imminent if we do not take drastic and immediate measures to massively decrease our impact on the planet, its why many people are no longer happy to sit by and watch the world burn. Why do you criticise it anyway? Even if somehow, global warming turned out to be some kind of 'hoax', what the hell would be so bad about some people not driving daily? Or using less plastic or paper? Or going vegan?
    I really have to wonder about the motivations of people who criticise those making efforts to help the planet, so you want to place the faith of the planet you live on in limbo on the off chance it may not be a genuine issue in case your daily comforts and privileges might be slightly impacted ?
    But go on, dont make any personal sacrifices,keep questioning it, Im sure your future children will be proud you did nothing to try and help a planet we all knew was suffering

joe40 wrote: »
    The last 100 years have been a golden age for human civilization in terms of technological advancements. In general terms every generation was better off than the previous one.
    That was all built on the availability of relatively cheap energy in the form of fossil fuels.
    That is coming to an end. The climate debate is over, how we proceed is the questions facing humanity.
    How do we keep our lifestyle in a world without limitless fossil fuels.
    Sometimes I think it just isn't possible and technology will regress, but I also think the technology to move forward will come when there is the political, economic and social imperative to do so. I think that is the stage we are getting to.
    Widespread electricity production without fossil fuels is key. Wind, hydro, solar whatever will have to improve and increase dramatically.

Maybe any previous generation could have said the same but the invention of the solidstate transistor was one of the most significant developments in that it lead to the development of electronics products and ultimately the internet on which so much of what we do today is based.

Hard to see what direction a revolutionary explosion of technology would take to result in such global adaption within as short a space of time.

I think technology won't regress as such, but the rate of change will do so and maybe we are entering a period now where the focus will be on the adaption of the utilisation of this technology (such as with AI) in a wide number of ways rather than the creation of new tech. This in itself is a bit of a scary concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Do we have so little faith in our children and theirs that if there is a problem that they can't fix it

That's the real sadness not the rising water

Aren't the kids skipping school our children, and isn't this the start of them fixing the problem?

Fear and control only works on the people when you offer them the hope of redemption
    Hence why I call it the climate change cult

Yeah, 16 year old from Sweden is attempting to exert control over the entire world.

I suspect you are causing it a cult either because;

A - you are too stupid to understand what is happening.
    B - by calling it a cult you can de-legitimise it somewhat and suggest you are actually on the side of free will and people not being controlled.

Or maybe it is neither A or B, maybe it is C; you just don't give a sh*t about anything which does not affect you right now.

This article shows a major problem with the human psyche.

Trash Girl

This girl used to walk to school and pick up rubbish on her way every day. She was taunted and bullied and called Trash Girl for doing so. She has now moved school as a result of the bullying.

She was picking up other peoples discarded rubbish and because she was different, she was picked on and bullied.

I believe that most people are good natured, but, the few selfish, ignorant ones tend to dictate group psyche more than the positive people. Not sure why that is.

Yeah, 16 year old from Sweden is attempting to exert control over the entire world.

I suspect you are causing it a cult either because;

A - you are too stupid to understand what is happening.
    B - by calling it a cult you can de-legitimise it somewhat and suggest you are actually on the side of free will and people not being controlled.

Or maybe it is neither A or B, maybe it is C; you just don't give a sh*t about anything which does not affect you right now.

Or maybe it's d.
    You are stupider than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The whole approach to the environment is wrong, forget climate change for the moment.
    There is far too much of every form of pollution being put into the environment. CO2 is just one, but look at the rubbish dumps that are our seas and oceans, look at the throwaway culture, capitalist consumerism is based on having to regularly upgrade some item.
    The whole system is not sustainable.

We need new clean sustainable technology for air and road travel.

btw we also need trophy hunters banned who deserve what they get when a lion eats them or an elephant tramples them, we need to look after biodiversity, we need more protected lands for wildlife.
    This is all connected, we need to work for a sustainable planet and we all need a change of mindset, including myself here, not preaching as if I am some saint.
    But there is too much pollution, I don't think taxes are helping, they cause resentment. We need a lot more incentives, people react better to getting something rather than it being seen as used for simply extra tax.
    I think if we saw carbon taxes for example put clearly aside and given back to the people in incentives for improving the environment through actions, it would go down a lot better.
    Currently it disappears into a black hole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

KikiLaRue wrote:
    If we stop proactively breeding cows, there would be fewer cows...

Ah so forcing castration on bulls and keeping them apart is now going to be the way forward.

Nah I'll just keep eating meat thanks.

Advertisement