Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teachers in Florida to be permitted to carry guns

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

biko wrote: »
    If your own children attended a school, would you rather have the teachers armed or not?

lol

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

How shouldn't it?

Fairly simple logic here:

Student or someone comes into school armed with a gun or weapon with the intent of murdering people and the teacher shoots them before they cause any harm.

Won't always be the case, will it?

Students are all in class.

One person enters the school with a bump-stocked AR15, goes into a random classroom, opens fire on the teacher immediately and guns him/her down, then shots at all the kids in the classroom.

Up to 30 people gone straight away.

Another teacher comes in, shooter guns them down, then tries to get as many people as possible afterwards.

The idea that arming teacher will stop future shootings is ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've never taught, and never will. If I did though I could definitely imagine wanting to murder some of my students on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

How shouldn't it?

Student or someone comes into school armed with a gun or weapon with the intent of murdering people and the teacher shoots them before they cause any harm.

“Student or someone comes into school armed with a gun or weapon with the intent of murdering people. Opens fire on the first person he see’s, putting them down In the hallway. Teacher armed with weapon in second floor class, tells everyone to get down and pulls out his pistol. Meanwhile shooter walks through the ground floor hall, firing his AR-15 through locked doors, killing and maiming as he goes.

Armed teacher creeps downstairs looking for shooter. Peers around the corner and see’s shooter exiting a classroom, turns the corner, and opens fire, missing and hitting a student behind, who falls to the floor. Shooter aims at teacher, opening fire, misses teacher, but bullets ricochet and go through bathroom door at end of the hall, hitting 2 students, killing one, injuring the other.

Meanwhile police responding to active shooter enter hall, open fire, missing shooter, but hit teacher, killing him instantly. Second volley of fire hits shooter, killing him.

Active shooter down.”

I think my scenario is more realistic than yours to be honest.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

declan2693 wrote: »
    They already do. Why not add more protection to the classroom

what good will an untrained teacher with a handgun do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Faugheen wrote: »
    Won't always be the case, will it?

Students are all in class.

One person enters the school with a bump-stocked AR15, goes into a random classroom, opens fire on the teacher immediately and guns him/her down, then shots at all the kids in the classroom.

Up to 30 people gone straight away.

Another teacher comes in, shooter guns them down, then tries to get as many people as possible afterwards.

The idea that arming teacher will stop future shootings is ludicrous.

That's one scenario and what if a different scenario occurs. Where the student walks into the school and an armed teacher happens to be in the hallway and immediately takes them out which would prevent any loss of life.

Frankly to say that arming teachers won't stop any future school shootings is absolute nonsense. If they above scenario I've described happens just once it will have prevented a school shooting. Obviously your scenario is just as plausible but to say that arming teachers won't stop another school shooting is not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How shouldn't it?

simple alright

Teachers are known for their marksmanship and utterly unfazeable ruthless killing skills...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

If your own children attended a school, would you rather have the teachers armed or not?

If I could depend on teachers to know how to properly handle their weapons, store them securely and be in good mental health, sure, but we don't live in a movie or in the idealised world of an NRA pamphlet. We live in the kind of world where parents get shot by toddlers.

That's one scenario and what if a different scenario occurs. Where the student walks into the school and an armed teacher happens to be in the hallway and immediately take them out which would prevent any loss of life.

Frankly to say that arming teachers won't stop any future school shootings is absolute nonsense. If they above scenario I've described happens just once it will have prevented a school shooting. Obviously your scenario is just as plausible but to say that arming teachers won't stop another school shooting is not true.

But it will probably cause school shootings too when a teacher snaps and opens fire on a student/classroom. They would have easy and immediate access to a firearm that they otherwise would not have before this legislation was brought in.

I think my scenario is more realistic than yours to be honest.

How have you come to that conclusion?

Are you an expert in school shootings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well one up-side...the kids will be on their best behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

So what is the danger here? It is as follows:

There is an active shooter on a campus where teachers are armed.

One armed teacher heads out to help the situation. A second armed teacher who doesn't know the first teacher well, thinks at a distance that the first teacher is the active shooter and kills them erroneously.

Well that worked out well. But wait.. has this sort of thing happened already? Why yes it has. But in this case, it was a SECURITY GUARD, and he was shot by TRAINED POLICE OFFICERS.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/us/police-officer-shoots-security-guard-chicago.html

So what's the danger in giving a bunch of untrained teachers permission to carry guns on campus.. none, nothing to see here, please move on.

Anyone who thinks this is a reasonable plan seriously needs their head examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

“I think my scenario is more realistic than yours to be honest.“

Can we start giving English classes in here?!?!?

I offered my opinion, you took it as a statement of fact.

I’m glad you’re not a teacher. Imagine you with a gun.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

That's one scenario and what if a different scenario occurs. Where the student walks into the school and an armed teacher happens to be in the hallway and immediately takes them out which would prevent any loss of life.

This is a lot of stupid for one post and I won't be able to unpack it all but I'll just point out a couple of things.

First of all, a teenager with his AR15 out and loaded in the hallway will make short work of a teacher trying to pull their snubnose from their handbag. These teachers aren't Arnie from Kindergarten Cop. They're teachers in Florida who are most likely overweight medicated females.

Secondly, even if they are able to stop the odd shooting here and there, will it offset the inevitable panic shootings of kids by teachers who mistake a piece of toast for a gun? This is Florida we're talking about. It's one of the dumber states in an already dumb country. Even the police over there don't know who to shoot at.

“I think my scenario is more realistic than yours to be honest.“

Can we start giving English classes in here?!?!?

I offered my opinion, you took it as a statement of fact.

I’m glad you’re not a teacher. Imagine you with a gun.

Haven't taken it as a fact at all maybe you need the English lessons.

Simply asked why you believe your scenario is more likely?

No problem if you can't answer the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Haven't taken it as a fact at all maybe you need the English lessons.

Simply asked why you believe your scenario is more likely?

No problem if you can't answer the question.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/us/police-officer-shoots-security-guard-chicago.html

Police shot a security guard by accident during a school shooting. Police are trained.

What makes you think an untrained teacher is going to shoot the correct person?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Are you?

You're claiming that it will stop shootings with zero basis whatsoever.

Why is your logic 'simple' when it's nothing more than a theory like everyone else's?

What happens if a teacher snaps in their classroom? Killing the students they are supposed to be protecting?

What happens when a teacher tries to gun down a shooter, but accidentally hits a student instead?

These are all possibilities and just as likely as yours.

Either way, students are going to continue to be killed in schools unless restrictive access to firearms is brought in, but as long as the NRA are buying representation in the House/Senate then it won't.

A despicable organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭batman_oh

How shouldn't it?

Or student comes with AR15 (the favourite peacekeeper of choice for the average American) unloads machine gun knowing that teachers have guns resulting in epic bloodbath. Sounds like a good film!

But it will probably cause school shootings too when a teacher snaps and opens fire on a student/classroom. They would have easy and immediate access to a firearm that they otherwise would not have before this legislation was brought in.

It's also likely that some fat, blind, medicated Florida teacher will mistake a violin for an AR15 and open fire, killing 5 people in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

batman_oh wrote: »
    Or student comes with AR15 (the favourite peacekeeper of choice for the average American) unloads machine gun knowing that teachers have guns resulting in epic bloodbath. Sounds like a good film!

LOL this happens anyway, what does arming the teachers change, the shooter might be prevented from killing more but somehow the left want to make it easier for killers instead of harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not, you'd like to think the school has an effective security set-up to keep everyone safe.
    Please tell us what that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

At least the shooters won't need to go to the hassle of getting the guns themselves in the future, just borrow it from a teacher.

astrofool wrote: »
    At least the shooters won't need to go to the hassle of getting the guns themselves in the future, just borrow it from a teacher.

Great logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Serious question here.

Active shooter
    Teacher responds
    Hits innocent person

Who pays?
    Does school indemnify those teachers that have been authorised to carry guns?

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Serious question here.

Active shooter
    Teacher responds
    Hits innocent person

Who pays?
    Does school indemnify those teachers that have been authorised to carry guns?

Did the teacher get the active shooter? Tell me the rest of the story

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Teachers in Florida permitted to drive tanks to school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

This gun could probably be modified so that only good teachers can shoot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

batman_oh wrote: »

Kindergarten Cop 2: Reckoning Day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Teachers in Florida permitted to call in air support and drone strikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

declan2693 wrote: »
    Did the teacher get the active shooter? Tell me the rest of the story

Fado fado.
    Sit down and I'll tell you all about it!

Advertisement