Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Irish music artist to emerge in 2010s?

Options
  • 30-04-2019 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭

Who is top of the Irish pops for you this decade? And why?
    If your favourite is missing you can specify in the comments.

Favourite Irish music act to emerge this decade? 118 votes

Two Door Cinema Club
    59% 70 votes
    Villagers
    3% 4 votes
    Kodaline
    6% 8 votes
    Hozier
    1% 2 votes
    Picture This
    5% 6 votes
    Gavin James
    1% 2 votes
    Walking on Cars
    0% 1 vote
    The Riptide Movement
    2% 3 votes
    The Strypes
    4% 5 votes
    Keywest
    1% 2 votes
    James Vincent McMorrow
    0% 1 vote
    All Tvvins
    2% 3 votes
    The Academic
    2% 3 votes
    Wyvern Lingo
    0% 1 vote
    Dermot Kennedy
    0% 0 votes
    Wild Youth
    1% 2 votes
    Otherkin
    0% 0 votes
    Little Green Cars
    0% 1 vote
    Ryan Sheridan
    3% 4 votes
    Soak
    0% 0 votes
    Le Galaxie
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Wanted to vote for little green cars but Hozier probably the biggest international act with a very unique sound. The rest are mostly interchangeable pop mush.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

None of the above.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I vote for Unyielding Love -

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Taylor Swift

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

King Kong Company!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Their first album was released in 2009 but I would have picked And So I Watch You From Afar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I realised after reading the list of bands that this is not the question for me. Don't even know who half of them are tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Villagers miles out in front. McMorrow and All Tvvins close behind.

The rest are rubbish with particular hatred towards Le Galaxie who are just a bunch of band wagon jumping pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Villagers miles out in front. McMorrow and All Tvvins close behind. Actually, Soak is decent.

The rest are rubbish with particular hatred towards Le Galaxie who are just a bunch of band wagon jumping pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

That's a pretty bleak list of acts to chose from in the pole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭its_steve116

That's a pretty bleak list of acts to chose from in the pole.

Well I went for the big ones, but you can give honourable mentions to the ones I didn't list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

These charming young djents impressed me when somebody posted this on here some years ago:

Great technique and seemed accessible enough, for it to be a hit but I don’t know whatever floats peoples boat. They dressed up nice and all!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

https://youtu.be/bix7yNI3VV0

Very technically skilled musicians. Went to school with the drummer and guitarist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭franglan

Dermot Kennedy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I thought Girl Band were a cut above most Irish acts -

These lads blew me away when I went to see them a few weeks ago. Unbelievable energy -

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Villagers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Fontaines D.C. are by far the best Irish band to emerge in the last few years.
    They're playing Jimmy Fallon show tonight which shows they're gaining recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Fang Club are another good band.

They're playing Jimmy Fallon show tonight which shows they're gaining recognition.

Their album was #9 in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Their album was #9 in the UK.

And yet you'll never hear them on daytime radio.

Quite bizarre considering commercial radio's constant promotion of Picture This who's new album could only peak at #54 in the UK.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    I thought Girl Band were a cut above most Irish acts -

These lads blew me away when I went to see them a few weeks ago. Unbelievable energy -

Apparently Fontaines DC cited Girl Band as a big influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'm not getting all they hype around them tbh, they're Sleaford Mods with howiya accents, and that's not a good thing. I supposed compared to the list of generic dross in the poll, they may as well be the Sex Pistols in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

They are way more catchy and tuneful than Sleaford Mods. Don't get that comparison tbh.

Gaining some amount of momentum. Fair play to them. Good to see an Irish band make it big that's not dross like The Script, Picture This or The Coronas. Long overdue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Villagers or Girl Band for me, of the ones on the list there the only one I'd rate is SOAK.

I'm a recent but enthusiastic convert to Kojaque as well.

If anyone wants some eloquent, funny and slightly deranged rants about the mainstream Irish music industry and it's blandness and cliqueyness follow Postpunk Podge and the Technohippies on social media, he lets loose a few times a week.

Morrison J wrote: »
    They are way more catchy and tuneful than Sleaford Mods. Don't get that comparison tbh.

Gaining some amount of momentum. Fair play to them. Good to see an Irish band make it big that's not dross like The Script, Picture This or The Coronas. Long overdue.

I didn't include the Coronas or the Script because they emerged in 2006 and 2008 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

Chasing Abbey or Wild Youth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Katie Kim has really impressed me especially her last album "Salt", beautiful stuff!

Another new comer who has been taking bloody ages to get stuff out there (only just released an EP, I originally saw her live in Sligo back in 2015) is Maria Somerville who is very talented and someone I'll be keeping a close eye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

jiltloop wrote: »
    Katie Kim has really impressed me especially her last album "Salt", beautiful stuff!

Another new comer who has been taking bloody ages to get stuff out there (only just released an EP, I originally saw her live in Sligo back in 2015) is Maria Somerville who is very talented and someone I'll be keeping a close eye on.

Holy fcuk how'd I forget Katie!

Patrick Kelleher was great too for the roughly 11 days he was around, think it was early 2010s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

I really like Hip-Neck blues Collective. Underrated in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

https://youtu.be/trMhSw5xcp4

Some decent bands around at the minute in fairness, saw Silverbacks a few times in Whelans, really like their sound.

Advertisement