Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Irish music artist to emerge in 2010s?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Blathnaid... your brother is far cooler than you. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Why are The Fitzafrenic not on the poll?

Plopsu wrote: »

Because when I was making it I had never heard of them. What are they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Because when I was making it I had never heard of them. What are they like?

Kickass! They bill themselves as a Ska band but that's like the way The Police billed themselves as a reggae band. You can hear it but that's not all that's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Plopsu wrote: »

they're an originals (and covers?) band from dublin like many many others. I dont think they've done anything to warrant being on that list. Ive seen them on grafton street a couple of times..

any links to good songs they have?

There's a band called the Funeral Suits who are no more. Not exactly my type of music but deserving of a place on that list ahead of others IMO.

They were signed to Rubyworks along with bands like The Minutes, who are also worth a mention.

They were produced by Stephen Street who worked with Blur and The Smiths

Their song All These Friendly People has 20 million views on youtube and seemed to strike a chord with many. Great video to it.

It's weird how they were never really hyped up in Irish media but they had a cult following overseas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j4l_NdkYMQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Forgot to mention The Urges.

great band who also had a cult following and were cited by Andrew Loog Oldham (ex Stones manager) as being one of the best to come out of ireland.

They might have been a year or two before 2010 though.

Buffalo Sunn are decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Would have voted for Girl Band but, alas, not on the poll.

Voted for Villagers as Becoming a Jackal was a great album. And nod and a wink to Le Galaxie for being a fun live band.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Dizzy rascal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Pink Floyd and then Aphex Twin.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

1.08-1.15 what the fcuk is that $hit? chipmunks? has to be the most annoying song on the radio at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Pink Floyd and then Aphex Twin.
    Pink Floyd were all born in Limerick sure.

Would have voted for Girl Band but, alas, not on the poll.

Voted for Villagers as Becoming a Jackal was a great album. And nod and a wink to Le Galaxie for being a fun live band.

"Lawman" is a tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Minutes were a cracking live band

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

God Alone in Cork. Iron Mountain from Limerick.
    Both amazing bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Woven Skull
    To me their music sounds like Planxty playing the music of Loop... or maybe the other way round

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Kneecap, they're a Belfast hip hop trio.

Vinculus wrote: »
    Woven Skull
    To me their music sounds like Planxty playing the music of Loop... or maybe the other way round

Probably the best live band for me in Ireland. They make some sound for a 3 piece and the drummer with only a floor tom and a ride cymbal is amazing.

I saw them at Hunters Moon festival in Carrick On Shannon around 2012 when they played in the church. There was between 8 to 10 of them that day performing for the set. Started off with just the guitarist playing a simple groove and then everyone joining in over 45 mins to a crescendo and then all dropping out individually until it was just the guitarist playing the same simple groove to end. One of the best gigs i've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

King Kong Company!!

They're the best by a mile IMO. Shame they're not in the Poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

ollkiller wrote: »
    Probably the best live band for me in Ireland. They make some sound for a 3 piece and the drummer with only a floor tom and a ride cymbal is amazing.

I saw them at Hunters Moon festival in Carrick On Shannon around 2012 when they played in the church. There was between 8 to 10 of them that day performing for the set. Started off with just the guitarist playing a simple groove and then everyone joining in over 45 mins to a crescendo and then all dropping out individually until it was just the guitarist playing the same simple groove to end. One of the best gigs i've ever seen.

That sounds amazing. I've been listening to them for a couple of years but haven't had a chance to see them play live yet.

Vinculus wrote: »
    That sounds amazing. I've been listening to them for a couple of years but haven't had a chance to see them play live yet.

You're in for a treat then. You will not be disappointed.

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    The Minutes were a cracking live band

Saw them with the Stone Roses in 2012, they weren't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭PatM65

For fans of the sadly disbanded Little Green Cars all but Stevie have formed a new group called Soda Blond. Can't wait to hear what they sound like - they're on the Late Late Show tomorrow night I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The scratch.

Loah

Here they doing a duo

I love this song.

Interesting story about loah. When i was really sick she worked as a pharmacist in the hospital i used to get my bloods done in. She was really sweet, understanding and supportive. I was really nervous all the time. :) She's very down to earth.

The scratch.

Loah

Here they doing a duo

I love this song.

Interesting story about loah. When i was really sick she worked as a pharmacist in the hospital i used to get my bloods done in. She was really sweet, understanding and supportive. I was really nervous all the time. :) She's very down to earth.
    Sounds like a very nice person.

Of the ones I listed here, Otherkin or The Strypes would personally be my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Kneecap, they're a Belfast hip hop trio.

Reminds me of that group The Osteoprorosists. Wannabe hipsters strive as they might though you can distinctly hear the hip pop

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Reminds me of that group The Osteoprorosists. Wannabe hipsters strive as they might though you can distinctly hear the hip pop
    Rapping as Gaeilge is quite different, and I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

hetuzozaho wrote: »

Ha, beat me to it!!

Advertisement