Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland needs more aggressive policing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's the same people, committing the same crimes, in the same places, over and over again. They are arrested for the same offences over and over again. The courts let them go free, over and over again.

The Courts are the enemy of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Irish Gardaí usually act with a decent amount of force when needed. I wouldn't want a USA situation where you get the head kicked off you for "resisting", which is usually just an excuse for the cops to beat you up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Given the disgusting incident in Castlerea, I would say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the police are allowed to use force already. that force must be proportionate and reasonable. unfortunately some of them go beyond this.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

as for some uniformed security company patrolling the streets. absolutely not.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There are young fellas getting assaulted all over our country every weekend, outside pubs/nightclubs etc....all needlessly...the first thing you should see when you come out of a large venue is a line of gardai...it is not that difficult...they manage to do it for League of Ireland matches!

At most there will be 15-20 guards at a LOI match and maybe a dozen of them happen each week. Apply that to nightclubs in every town and city in the country every Friday and Saturday night and you would need 10,000 more gardai recruited to fulfil that idea....never going to happen as its nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does Ireland needs more aggressive policing??

after the Strokestown incident it certainly does....you have two people who have re-entered that house and as a result are blatantly breaking the law for the whole country to see...and NOTHING been done about it???

i mean HELLO! if ever an example needs to be set its there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I never see any young youths out and about these days. I think they are all at home playing with their computers.

Probably their smartphone because they're too damn lazy to get up off their arse and walk to the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

After the treatment of Maurice McCabe can you imagine what theyd do to a Joe Soap if you let them off the leash.

...can you imagine what they have done and covered up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Who thinks the Gardai should be more aggressive in their line of duty? I think they should be more aggressive in enforcing the law and allowed to be more physical especially with scruffy young youths thinking their rebels rambling around the streets late at night making trouble. The country needs more policing with the recent spawning of gang youths running out of control and terrorizing parts of North Dublin. These are youth scumbags on a new level not really seen before during the past decades. I don't see enough Garda on the roads imo. Gardai need to be more aggressive and granted powers to man handle imo.

Another thought, Would Ireland benefit from third party Garda reinforcements such as a company or whatever providing more public security on the streets inline with the Gardai? I'm not talking about securing premises but actual patrolling of the streets, a uniformed security force not necessarily wearing Garda uniforms but be granted at least some of the powers to what a Garda can do. This would increase policing on the streets. Dublin needs more policing.

Your opinions....

There needs to be a dedicated Transport Police like over in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

I'd love to see more violence tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Pretzeluck wrote:
    I'd love to see more violence tbh

You really need to learn how to troll better, do some research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Odhinn wrote: »
    ...can you imagine what they have done and covered up?

I will be honest with you I usually disagree with most of your posts and your posting style.

But the one thing I agree with is honesty and I agree with your posts in this thread.
    The Guards are rotten anybody who does not lie will be run out of that organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Who thinks the Gardai should be more aggressive in their line of duty? I think they should be more aggressive in enforcing the law and allowed to be more physical especially with scruffy young youths thinking their rebels rambling around the streets late at night making trouble. The country needs more policing with the recent spawning of gang youths running out of control and terrorizing parts of North Dublin. These are youth scumbags on a new level not really seen before during the past decades. I don't see enough Garda on the roads imo. Gardai need to be more aggressive and granted powers to man handle imo.

Another thought, Would Ireland benefit from third party Garda reinforcements such as a company or whatever providing more public security on the streets inline with the Gardai? I'm not talking about securing premises but actual patrolling of the streets, a uniformed security force not necessarily wearing Garda uniforms but be granted at least some of the powers to what a Garda can do. This would increase policing on the streets. Dublin needs more policing.

Your opinions....

I think this would only serve to turn more people to the idea of violent revolution, like in Derry & Belfast in the 60's or Dublin & Cork in the 20's.. So I guess I'm all for this terrible idea then.

No, what you need is better policing, police should be there to de-escalate situations not make a bad thing already worse. What I do agree wit is that we need more police, but not to act as some sort of SA Brownshirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

At most there will be 15-20 guards at a LOI match and maybe a dozen of them happen each week. Apply that to nightclubs in every town and city in the country every Friday and Saturday night and you would need 10,000 more gardai recruited to fulfil that idea....never going to happen as its nonsensical.

Nonsensical???? It happens on most cities in Europe or the UK, you will see a much heavier police presence at night time...in the UK you see mounted police all over the city centres at night.

8/9 cops in an around a busy location in two or three parts of a regional city or large provincial town would make a huge difference...27-30 cops is too much to ask????

Nonsensical would be to allow the nightshift spend most of their time in the station while young fellas are pucking the heads off each other downtown!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

tomofson wrote: »
    This, give them the power to abuse the poor when ever they want and it wont belong till it hits the middle classes ivory towers.

Think of the broken window syndrome in reverse, once they know they beat up one class of people without consequence they will start testing their luck with the "higher classes".

Not that they should be allowed to beat anyone regardless of what percieved social economic class they come from.

But this seems very much so like a "whip the poor back into their place" sort of mentality.

Sorry but its not very clear if you agreed or disagreed with my comment?

I mean i agree with most of what your saying... but it seems like your disagreeing with what i said, by saying what I said, just in a different way !?!

Advertisement