Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public servants' inability to afford to pay rent in Dublin.

Options

Comments

wrangler wrote: »
    Alright then, all revenue originates from the private sector......apart of course from what we're borrowing to run the country

Another little factoid parroted by people with zero understanding of how an economy functions.

Here's one for you: All tax is collected by civil servants, without whom the economy would collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

If people are unhappy with their current career selections, b*tching at others is not a good way to solve the problem.

Why do you have to be unhappy with your current career to discuss anthers?

wrangler wrote: »
    Alright then, all revenue originates from the private sector......apart of course from what we're borrowing to run the country

After tax, public sector workers spend the large majority of their salary in the private sector. Cut their numbers and/or wages, who will suffer the most?

cgcsb wrote: »
    I'm talking about Central Dublin here.

only people in central dublin can't afford a car?

wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

limnam wrote: »
    Christ.

She's young. She can share. Get a room in a house for 280e a month.

That leaves her with over 1300e a month with shared bills.

God forbid we're ever in a_real_ crisis.

In Dublin? Are you joking? I felt lucky getting a room in a houseshare in Cork for €280 per month in the very worst of the recession. She’d pay double that for a houseshare in Dublin now and it might not even be nice or near where she works, adding transport costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I think that's a fantastic idea. In fact, I think all public servants living out Whoop-Whoop should have their pay cut by 20%, and all of them living Above in the Dublin should have it hiked by 20%. That'll sort it out, with no downsides whatsowhomeverforth.

In Dublin? Are you joking? I felt lucky getting a room in a houseshare in Cork for €280 per month in the very worst of the recession. She’d pay double that for a houseshare in Dublin now and it might not even be nice or near where she works, adding transport costs.

daft.ie

have a look yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

1. No, I've shown that the overall increase is 0.1% of a difference across both sectors
    2. "Average" wage in each sector is a bullsh!t statistic that has been dismissed as meaningless, so your "already high base" is, again, rubbish.

Yes, Public Sector wages are increasing faster than private sector and they are calling for further increases.

It's good that you admit that.

Why do you have to be unhappy with your current career to discuss anthers?

I wouldn't call it a 'discussion'. Maybe I could bend it a little and call it an 'Irish discussion' though........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

only people in central dublin can't afford a car?

wtf?

oh honestly forget it.

The point is underground car parks in Central Dublin are under utilised by residents and they are extremely costly to construct.

• Advertisement

daft.ie

have a look yourself.

Searched from low-high, rentwise. There was ONE place for €150 per month. How many people do you think viewed that place? From there, you’re talking €500+ plus a month. Many are advertised by their WEEKLY rent and clearly come to way more than double €280 per month.

And even with the odd cheap one that becomes available - does daft.ie provide information about how many queries those cheap rooms got?

I’m sure the bordering counties are cheaper but then you need to add significantly higher transport costs. I lived on roughly the entry level clerical workers salary in Dublin a few years ago. I don’t have a car, I don’t smoke and I barely drink. And it was very hard to get by.

So yeah, once again, are you joking?

Searched from low-high, rentwise. There was ONE place for €150 per month. How many people do you think viewed that place? From there, you’re talking €500+ plus a month. Many are advertised by their WEEKLY rent and clearly come to way more than double €280 per month.

And even with the odd cheap one that becomes available - does daft.ie provide information about how many queries those cheap rooms got?

So yeah, once again, are you joking?

What's wrong with this?

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/porterstown/saint-mochtas-chase-porterstown-dublin-1052023/

cgcsb wrote: »
    oh honestly forget it.

The point is underground car parks in Central Dublin are under utilised by residents and they are extremely costly to construct.

You said people couldn't afford a car....

It's sharing with a couple and child. Totes 'mare.

Nothing, I’m sure the 100 people who viewed it thought it was grand. AND crucially, it’s in deep west Dublin, so add on a nice lump per month for transport costs.

And as the above poster said, sharing with a couple and their kid. You’d be a lodger. Hence the cheapness. Find a houseshare where everyone living there is on equal footing for that price.

Nothing, I’m sure the 100 people who viewed it thought it was grand. AND crucially, it’s in deep west Dublin, so add on a nice lump per month for transport costs.

In fairness, it's in Clonsilla - Porterstown is really out Whoop-Whoop. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

A monthly bus ticket.

How are people suppose to survive on 1300 a month when they have to get a bus!

come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am not sure what they are getting at with this line- “M looking nice & clean woman. ”

Do they want a housemate or a sex slave?

I am not sure what they are getting at with this line- “M looking nice & clean woman. ”

Do they want a housemate or a sex slave?

perks :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

This sh!t again

A monthly bus ticket.

How are people suppose to survive on 1300 a month when they have to get a bus!

come off it.

As said, I was paid near what entry-level PS clerical workers are paid around 2014. I’m careful with my money, I rarely drink, don’t own a car and don’t smoke. Living on that in Dublin was really tough even without those very common expenses. My rent was €500 per month and that the standard at the time (and things are much worse now) and I was lucky to get that room, there were many candidates.

You can say it’s a perfectly fine amount to live on in the capital but you’re convincing nobody. Claiming that a houseshare can easily be got for €280 per month was your first mistake. I’m sure they crop up but very rarely, I should think, and only one person gets that room.

As said, I was paid near what entry-level PS clerical workers are paid around 2014. I’m careful with my money, I rarely drink, don’t own a car and don’t smoke. Living on that in Dublin was really tough even without those very common expenses. My rent was €500 per month and that the standard at the time (and things are much worse now) and I was lucky to get that room, there were many candidates.

You can say it’s a perfectly fine amount to live on in the capital but you’re convincing nobody. Claiming that a houseshare can easily be got for €280 per month was your first mistake. I’m sure they crop up but very rarely, I should think and only one person gets that room.

For someone starting in their first job yes it's fine.

I showed you clearly you could find a share for 280e

*shrug*

As I said. I'd hate to see the current lot in a _real_ crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭facehugger99

But why engage in negativity and generate bad PR about other people's career choices and associated pay & conditions? Where is it getting you? Honestly?

Personally, I don't give a **** about anyone's pay and conditions until I'm asked to fund it.

The money that the Government used to pay the eye-wateringly generous pay and pensions of the public servants is money that can't be used to fund much needed investment in schools, hospitals, roads, etc,

It is absolutely the business of every tax-payer in this country to question the value we are getting from public servants. They are over-paid, over-protected and constantly jostling to take a bigger share of the available resources available.

Teachers: "We want fair pay"

Will you take a pay cut to make it fair?

Teachers: "will we fck"

Personally, I don't give a **** about anyone's pay and conditions until I'm asked to fund it.

The money that the Government used to pay the eye-wateringly generous pay and pensions of the public servants is money that can't be used to fund much needed investment in schools, hospitals, roads, etc,

It is absolutely the business of every tax-payer in this country to question the value we are getting from public servants. They are over-paid, over-protected and constantly jostling to take a bigger share of the available resources available.

Schools & hospitals function due to the teachers, nurses and doctors that staff them. Cut the numbers and/or associated pay and conditions and services will suffer.

For someone starting in their first job yes it's fine.

I showed you clearly you could find a share for 280e

*shrug*

As I said. I'd hate to see the current lot in a _real_ crisis.

My own daft search showed that houseshares that cheap are like hen’s teeth. Finding one (and the one you found was a lodger situation) tells us very little. Like, how many applied to view the room, for example. I first moved to Dublin in 2002. Even then, €280 per month houseshares weren’t that common and you’d often often be sharing a room for that price and living in a kip.

But, I get it, you’re entrenched. It’s hard to climb out of that.

No idea what your ‘crises’ comment even means. You’ve no idea what anyone has been through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Schools & hospitals function due to the teachers, nurses and doctors that staff them. Cut the numbers and/or associated pay and conditions and services will suffer.

What bollox,

Sure pay every nurse and teacher a salary of €1,000,000 each and we'd have the best health and system system in the world would we?

Teachers pay and pensions is hoovering up the money we have available to invest in education.

My own daft search showed that houseshares that cheap are like hen’s teeth. Finding one (and the one you found was a lodger situation) tells us very little. Like, how many applied to view the room, for example. I first moved to Dublin in 2002. Even then, €280 per month houseshares weren’t that common and you’d often often be sharing a room for that price and living in a kip.

But, I get it, you’re entrenched. It’s hard to climb out of that.

No idea what your ‘crises’ comment even means. You’ve no idea what anyone has been through.

It looks like you were not searching very well, as you missed a perfectly good room for 280e.

It means simply if people can't find a way to survive on 1300e a month. I wouldn't like to see them when the country is in a "real" crisis.

Remember this is on the assumption that someone is starting off in a new job in the public sector above minimum wage which was the example provided and they can't "afford" to live in Dublin.

It's rubbish.

• Advertisement

It looks like you were not searching very well, as you missed a perfectly good room for 280e.

It means simply if people can't find a way to survive on 1300e a month. I wouldn't like to see them when the country is in a "real" crisis.

Remember this is on the assumption that someone is starting off in a new job in the public sector above minimum wage which was the example provided and they can't "afford" to live in Dublin.

It's rubbish.

Sharing with a couple. And a baby. :D I thought it was pretty terrible example actually that only strengthened my point. And I’m not sure how you’re having difficulty with the idea that any room that cheap will be inundated because it’s rare.

Advertisement