Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rogue Traders

Options
  • 31-01-2017 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kraandrijver/status/826459004821975040?p=v

The Dutch police tweeted this earlier

Translated roughly it means " Irish Handymen active in the area, intimidatimg people and asking too much money for the work. Do not drown with them in the sea"

By chance this afternoon I had "Irish Handymen" call to my door here this afternoon. I'm still waiting on some sort of communication from the Gardai to let me know and warn me about them being in the area.

What sort of reputation are these "Irish Handymen" giving us and what can be done about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Pretty sure they meant travellers...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Give that man a can of coke...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And a Snickers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I wonder would the handymen be looking to Rob you at all at all.

Due to all the PC rubbish and racist etc etc yada yada yada one has to be careful in their choice of words.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Made of copper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Hmmm! Would these Irish handymen by any chance be members of a protected minority group?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Sure they would have had to travel to get their.

Made of copper.

Ya junkeees bastid ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Careful boss...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Hmmm! Would these Irish handymen by any chance be members of a protected minority group?

The bilderberg group?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Due to all the PC rubbish and racist etc etc yada yada yada one has to be careful in their choice of words.

Yeah thats the reason alright, cause the ordinary Dutch person would know all about Travellers and Irish people

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Mobile Irish Handymen are an ethnic group and assert their cultural identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

Should the Gardai be tweeting "there may be a handyman or handymen in your area" to give a heads up?

Yeah thats the reason alright, cause the ordinary Dutch person would know all about Travellers and Irish people

Hey smarty meant on here.

They would just be translated and also coming from official government body they would not be using watch out for thieving scum yada yada.

bear1 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing it, but where in that tweet is there anything to suggest "irish" being the nationality?

You're missing it!

This word "Ierse" means Irish

Ierse klusjesmannen = Irish handymen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You're missing it!

This word "Ierse" means Irish

Ierse klusjesmannen = Irish handymen

Yep deleted the post after I noticed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I remember that school tour well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Before the lock, let's remind ourselves of the accepted Irish rogue traders.

Bankers, developers, estate agents, engineers, builders, etc. etc.

They did far more damage than a bunch of travellers scamming people.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not only in Holland
    http://www.thelocal.se/20150422/elderly-swedes-scared-by-british-rogue-tradesmen
    Police are investigating a group of Irish handymen believed to be preying on pensioners in Örebro in central Sweden and potentially under pressure from "slave" ringmasters themselves.

• Advertisement

I remember that school tour well.

Excellent concept get kids hooked on sugar and it worked I was a sugar addicted junky till recently and by god was it some shock coming off.

Remember you could even fill your beaker or bottles also.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Before the lock, let's remind ourselves of the accepted Irish rogue traders.

Bankers, developers, estate agents, engineers, builders, etc. etc.

They did far more damage than a bunch of travellers scamming people.

In some ways yes they were bad but I will say one thing they didn't cause or threaten harm or bully or actually steal personal belongings and so on.

The bilderberg group?

Not quite what I had in mind...though there are plenty of dodgy bastids at the top of the pyramid also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

A shower of bastards Ted.

A shower of bastards Ted.

No cowboys bunch of cowboys....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

In some ways yes they were bad but I will say one thing they didn't cause or threaten harm or bully or actually steal personal belongings and so on.

Even a form of threatening and bullying from the corporate world can cause harm. I've no wish to derail the thread, but wanted to add some neglected perspective as we seem to moan and rant about this minority and rarely examine the damage done by the behaviour of the white collar types.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Even a form of threatening and bullying from the corporate world can cause harm. I've no wish to derail the thread, but wanted to add some neglected perspective as we seem to moan and rant about this minority and rarely examine the damage done by the behaviour of the white collar types.

I hear you. But it seems to be OK to let continue. Which of course is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

No cowboys bunch of cowboys....

They'll shaft you every time:D

biko wrote: »

The slavery reports are very worring. Wasn't there a case in England a while ago where slaves were freed?

• Advertisement

The slavery reports are very worring. Wasn't there a case in England a while ago where slaves were freed?

Yes they kept them like dogs.

Advertisement